Author Topic: Crazyquilter's Dream SWAP (Please comment in the discussion thread)  (Read 387 times)

Offline crazyquilter

I may change the title of my SWAP, but for now this will work.  Dream SWAP because for years I have dreamed about actually participating in a SWAP.  Like so many of us, reading about the SWAPs is what brought me to Stitcher's Guild.  Also dream because I have been poring over Ivey Abitz new collections every season for years too, wishing I would make something similar.  I decided that this is going to be the year.   I have actually been working on pattern muslins and have two wearable muslins made for what she calls frocks.  I tried two different patterns and I think I have settled on one of them, Opal Annie's Sydney.  There was a sew along on her Facebook group last month and she gave members the pattern free.  I'm going to try another version tomorrow hopefully, making my sew before SWAP starts garment. For my muslin, I pretty much sewed according to the pattern for the first one.  I have some changes I want to make to the hem mostly on the next version.

My plan as of now is for a group of dresses and toppers influenced by Ivey Abitz with hopefully one pair of leggings.  It will be more of a spring and summer collection, but I wore the muslin I made to church on Sunday with a long sleeved tee under it and a topper over it.  (I also wore fleece tights.  Those things are wonderful.) So, with some clothes I already have layered in, the group should work year round.

My plan is to use mostly fabrics currently in my stash or harvested from garments I no longer want or thrifted garments.  The teal cotton yarn I'm using is some that I unraveled from a sweater that had a stain on it.  I have several yards of a linen/rayon blend in natural.  I'm hoping to dye it and wind up with the colors I want.  I thought I had a photo of the

Unless I change my mind this will be my inspiration photo.  I ran across it on Facebook and my first thought was, "Wouldn't that make a great wardrobe?"  I'd taken a stab at putting together a couple of sample capsules long before the SWAP rules using different inspiration pieces including one Janice used, Max Ernst's The Kiss and a Matisse that of course I didn't write the title of, so I've had it in my mind to try this for quite a while.

I did the color pallette thing on the photo and came up with colors I love and love together.  The top one is the color of one of my favorite skirts that I used two dye baths to achieve.  I liked the color so much that I painted my bathroom that color.  I already have quite a few things in my wardrobe that I will be able to mix in with the pieces I sew, so there shouldn't be any orphans no matter how much of the plan I get done.

SWAP 2019 idea board to post by Dawn Smith, on Flickr

I borrowed the line drawings from Ivey Abitz.  I'm hoping to make a couple of versions of the  Opal Annie Sydney dress, one with a pleated ruffle and 6-8 drawstrings to pull the length up, so the dresses can be worn underneath (longer) or on top (shorter and gathered).  I have it all worked out in my mind.  We'll see how it actually works in cloth, hopefully soon.  The other version I'd like is a shorter version with no ruffle to wear over the other dress similar to IA's Wildefield Frock.

Neutral #1 - Black
   • RTW jersey cardigan, refashioned to look like IA Elliott jacket with crocheted trim
   • High water to low water slip dress - Opal Annie Sydney (unknown fiber stash fabric) - make before start of SWAP, I hope
   • Boxy topper or vest - pattern??? (pieced from various black stash fabrics, possibly crazy pieced or strip pieced)

Neutral #2 - Teal
   • Jersey cardigan, dyed fabric harvested from t-shirts, Alabama Chanin style, possibly with appliqué, but probably not - pattern???
   • High water to low water slip dress - Opal Annie Sydney
   • Knitted cotton topper - pattern???, yarn unraveled from a stained sweater
   • Leggings - Peg Legs by Patterns for Pirates (2 thrifted tops, hopefully enough fabric.  If not I'll have to hunt for something else to piece in with it.)

Accent A - Olive  (dyed linen/rayon stash fabric, wish me luck on the color)
   • High water to low water slip dress - Opal Annie Sydney

Accent B - Olive and black stripe
   • Short, layering slip dress - Opal Annie Sydney, no ruffle

Accent C - Rust (rayon stash fabric)
   • Short, layering slip dress - Opal Annie Sydney, no ruffle

Accent D - another short, layering slip dress, either olive or rust or possibly a print depending on what turns up between now and the deadline date. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 03:23:51 AM by crazyquilter »

Offline crazyquilter

Re: Crazyquilter's Dream SWAP (Please comment in the discussion thread)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 03:18:01 PM »
I got my black slip dress cut out yesterday with barely enough fabric to make the dress.  I lengthened the pattern by about six inches.  I had about four inches of fabric left over.  I wanted to make the pleated ruffle 3x the width of the bottom of the dress, but had to settle for a little over 2x.  I was hoping to have enough for a sash, but that didn't happen.  As it is I will have to make the interior casings for the drawstrings from a different black fabric.   I think I could have maybe cut the bias trim from the scraps, but the fabric is a little thick for that.  I found some black single fold bias in my stash.  I'm hoping it will be easier to apply since it's already ironed.

I wound up cutting 1/2" from the shoulders.  The muslin I made lays a little odd on my neck.  Pinning the half inch out helped.  I also cut the neck an inch higher all around, so it would show under the over dresses.  I'm hoping to sew it up today.

Offline crazyquilter

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 03:34:33 AM »
I got my black slip/dress finished.  Ivey Abitz would call it a frock.  I am happy with how it turned out.  The only issue I have is I'm not sure about the raised neckline.  I'm thinking 1/2" would have been better than the 1" I raised it.  I could cut it lower and rebind it, but I don't see that happening any time soon. 

I wound up with ten casings for the drawstrings, four in front, four in back and two built into the side seams.  I'm looking forward to playing around with them.  In the image below, the first photo has the four front and four back drawstrings raised.  The second photo has only the two side seam ones raised.

Here's a modeled one of the dress by itself.

I also made a muslin for the layering dress from some fabric I got at a thrift store.  Both versions use the Opal Annie Sydney pattern.  The black one is lengthened and the red one has the front shortened and the ruffle left off.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 12:14:34 AM by crazyquilter »

Offline crazyquilter

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 12:43:47 PM »
Just a couple of brightened close-ups of the drawstring section on my first garment.  I can't wait to get started on the second version of this high water/low water frock to see if they will actually work together as I have planned.  Version 2 will have the neckline raised a half inch instead of an inch.

Four drawstrings raised front and back. They are only tightened about half way. Of course I obviously missed some thread ends. With three seams for each drawstring, I shouldn't be surprised.

Only the side drawstrings tightened. I like the texture that the seam lines for the casings gives it, but honestly IRL they aren't very noticeable unless you are very close to the dress. I'm planning a couple more of this dress in lighter colors, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. Maybe I'll go for a thread that is a shade or two lighter or darker on one of those.

The ruffle is in two pieces with a slit at the sides.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 12:11:52 AM by crazyquilter »

Offline crazyquilter

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 07:50:09 PM »
I think I may have found a pattern for the teal Alabama Chanin style cardigan.  I was going through some 2002-3 Burda Style magazines that I got at the library book sale and found this pattern.  I will most likely make a wearable muslin.  I still have to find and dye the t-shirts for fabric for the teal one.

Offline crazyquilter

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 06:30:03 PM »
I dyed the two skirts I was wanting to use for fabric yesterday, hoping to match a third skirt.  I also threw in some other garments that I wasn't wearing due to color.  One of the skirts turned out like I expected, close enough in color to work.  The second was a bit of a surprise, but I may just try wearing it.  I also had a nice win with a sweater that dyed to match the two skirts I want to turn into one of my high water/low water frocks.  It was about the same color as the bright turquoise skirt.  I didn't put the darkest skirt in the dye bath as that was the color I was hoping to achieve.  I used a box of black Rit dye and two capfuls of tan.  The skirt I dyed has the original color waistband draped over the hanger.