Author Topic: Sure Fit Designs 2  (Read 80601 times)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
Sure Fit Designs 2
« on: March 30, 2012, 01:03:15 PM »
Carry on your lively discussion here.

You can read the previous posts by clicking here:  :clickhere:

Kathryn

Offline sososewer

Re: Sure Fit Designs 2
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »
I have decided to "out " myself as another satisfied member of the"sure-fit fan club!" Upon making my first pants "muslin"( which temporarily morphed into a skirt when I sewed the wrong side seams together)  I found it to be the best fit I had in years & that includes  RTW.I was sold & proceeded to order The Works package. It  makes so much more sense to draft the pattern to fit your individual body instead of buying off the shelf & trying to rework the"tissue" patterns that always tear in your hands. Also Glenda"s superb customer service from acknowledging your order, to notice of when your order was shipped to follow-up emails is unheard of in this day & age. She really knows her business..she is just a tiny little thing and just look how well her clothes fit her in the videos. That convinced me along with everyone on this site who had such good results with the system.
 BTW I am still wearing that first "muslin" &  they are my most comfortable pair of pants.

Offline Alice in bama

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 06:58:26 PM »
sososewer--
 Welcome to the club I love this program and as soon as I can get back to them I am going to make another pair of pants I am busy with EASTER STUFF right know

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:54:58 AM by Alice in Bama »
SEWING FOR FUN

Offline SylviaS

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:50:34 AM »
I am now working on my second pair of pants but everything is on hold as we are getting ready to have work done on the house. I think it will be a few months before I make much progress but I am looking forward to making my dress blueprint as soon as I can.

I hope you will all keep me interested with your posts!
Sylvia

Offline pinemeadows

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 10:37:37 AM »
I STILL haven't started the pants blueprint - hard to believe as I've had the system for several weeks now, but life (and other things) have intervened.

I have to say my favorite casual fit is from the shirt kit - the end result is a looser but still flattering kind of fit.  I just love it - and finally have something that works and doesn't hang 3 or 4 inches off my shoulders.  I have a couple older (ok, maybe outdated!) tops from RTW that have the kind of fit I was after - close but not snug and without darts - but the shirt kit gave me that exact kind of fit (even better actually) without resorting to a tedious copying process. 

I haven't had to use Glenda's expertise yet, but I'm reserving the right to call on her when I actually get to those elusive pants. :)

Offline Carolyn

• Carolyn's Sewing Room
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
I'm so glad so many people have found the same success I have with this kit.  I have had all of the kits for nearly a year now, and still use it for nearly every outfit I make.  When I purchase a new pattern, (yes, I'm still addicted), I use my blue prints to determine what size I need to use and tweak the pattern before I sew.  I rarely need to make adjustments after that.  The only adjustments I tend to make are due to fabric choices, particularly for pants.

I just made some elastic waist linen/rayon capris for weekends that are very comfortable.  I have some twill cotton/ lycra in navy, tan, and white to make some pants.  I used the pants booklet last year for some capris that I loved last year.  I plan to make them longer and make the pants leg narrower.

However, this week I'll be very busy with church for Holy Week and am trying to get a baby quilt and day gown finished for my DGD.  There's a baby shower in May and I want to bring both items.

I can't wait to see what everyone else is making!
Carolyn

"If God had intended for us to stay one waist size, he wouldn't have invented elastic"...  Christee Gabour Atwood

Blog:  http://carolynobryan.blogspot.com/

Offline smutnys

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 01:48:22 AM »

Hi everyone!

I have already done my blueprint and am just finishing up my first blouse.  I think the fit is really nice.  However, I do have one issue with the shoulder point.  It seems to be pulling right there on the top of my shoulder.  I have plenty of ease at the back and front armscye line, but the top point just isn't quite right.

I believe I have a slightly forward shoulder and it looks like the seam may be sitting just a little too far back, so I think the shoulder seam may need to be moved a bit forward.

And my biceps measure 13.5 inches.  I measured the sleeve pattern and it has 1" ease at the bicep and that was after widening my blueprint at that area.  The sleeve on my blueprint is a bit snug at my bicep so I just traced the side seam straight down from the armpit instead of the slight angle in that it has.  Maybe I should give my bicep more ease.

Any ideas on what might be causing the pulling and flattening out at the shoulder point?  Do I need to move some of the ease at the back armscy up to the top or will that distort the sleeve?  Or do I need a higher cap?  Or maybe lower the armhole?

I'm kind of confused.  But ecstatic that I am so close!

I will have to post a couple pictures.  Maybe tomorrow.

Nadine  :)

Offline pinemeadows

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 01:52:03 AM »
Nadine, it sounds like you are so-o-o close!  If I were you, I would email Glenda.  I did have a couple of questions for her too and she answered so quickly - I was really surprised!

Wish I could help you but I'm going to leave this for an expert. :)

Offline Glenda-Sure-Fit Designs

• Sure-Fit Designs
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »
It's been a few days since I've checked in to this discussion.  It's wonderful to read all your comments and support of one another. 

For PACEDA, I'd be happy to help you with 'ironing out' the issues from your initial fit...but you know, it's always best if I can see photos.  This is really the only way for me to give more accurate feedback.  Please feel free to email me directly at info@surefitdesigns.com.  I'd rather you be happy on the second go-round.  I have a sense that perhaps inaccurate measuring might be causing some of the issues.  When you're ready please send me photos.

And to SMUTNYS, I have just send you a personal response.  Again, it would have been best to see an actual photo of what you are describing, but I've given you some guidelines that may change the fit at the shoulder point.  The answer would have come out sooner, but I've been so focused on getting the SFD Learning Center to completion.  I'm almost there.  That along with getting new instructional videos ready for this site...well...it's been a lot.  It's likely going to be closer to mid-April for the site announcement since we have one more video we'd like to shoot.  :D

BTW Carolyn, you haven't yet posted any photos of your 'sick-day sewing storm'.  I know we'd all love to see them. :pinkpom:
Kindly,
Glenda

Offline sososewer

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 06:31:05 PM »
  After I made my first pair of pants with SFD for a brief moment I thought " With my sewing experience of 20+ years sewing sewing covers for GM & the early years in a shirt factory I could use this system to sew custom fit clothes for people"... how exciting -a new & enjoyable career for my retirement!!! :)
   Then sanity kicked in & I knew I wouldn't want to spare the time sewing for other people because I want to spend all my time indulging myself in a perfect fitting wardrobe. Nice option to keep on the back burner for later tho'  Thanks to Glenda!!

Offline Sheila GA

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 07:40:53 PM »
I am so-o-o glad finally to show my first garment from SFD blueprint.  I had made an earlier but poor choice of fabric, and stretched neckline made it a wadder.  Hope to do a blouse from this soon.       
first garment from SFD blueprint. by smbmurphree, on Flickr

Oh dear, my head didn't make it in the post.  I am smiling however!!!

edited by Kathryn (fzxdoc) to show off that million dollar smile! :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:31:49 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline Carolyn

• Carolyn's Sewing Room
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 09:26:51 PM »
Shelia, that's a beautiful dress.  I love the color and the fit is perfect.  Definitely a great choice of fabric
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 02:20:33 AM by Carolyn »
Carolyn

"If God had intended for us to stay one waist size, he wouldn't have invented elastic"...  Christee Gabour Atwood

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 11:33:32 PM »
Sheila, your dress is just lovely and the fit is superb.

I think you grabbed to BB code for the smallest (thumbnail) view instead of the regular-sized photo that you have posted on Flickr. I fixed that in your post.

Kathryn

Offline Sheila GA

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 11:49:22 PM »
Thank you Kathryn for editing the pic.  And thanks to you and Carolyn for the compliments. ;D

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 01:25:34 AM »
Sheila, your dress looks very nice.  I like the square neck line and the pearls really set that off.  Good job.
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline SylviaS

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 08:31:28 AM »
Well done, Sheila, that looks so smart yet comfortable. What a good fit across the shoulders and I love the neckline.  You must be really pleased with it. 

Sylvia

Offline Carole

• I love to sew, dance, read, and play tennis.
    • Mia's Sewing Room
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »
Great fit, Sheila!  I love the dress, it's such a classic style and will go anywhere.  You look fabulous!

Offline Sheila GA

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 04:16:12 PM »
You all are more than kind in the compliments!  However a lot of hard work went into the prep for that dress so I am basking in the afterglow. :sunny:

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »
You all are more than kind in the compliments!  However a lot of hard work went into the prep for that dress so I am basking in the afterglow. :sunny:
As well you should be!!
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline woggy

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »
Wow Shelia - love your dress.  You look terrific.  Thank you for posting a picture of you in it.

Offline Karendee

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 06:35:45 PM »
Shelia, your dress is lovely and so springlike.

Karen

Offline Linda 75142

• Seams Well Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 08:14:20 PM »
And just keep on basking for a while, Sheila!  You worked hard!
Linda T

"The past is history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift; that's the reason they call it the present." --Mike Ditka

www.seamswell.blogspot.com

Offline Debzie

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 07:20:01 PM »
Thanks to Glenda for posting your email address. I am finally back on to this and my muslin.  I have a very busy job and spend a lot of time travelling,  which isn't conducive to sewing unfortunately. So I don't always have time to log on. Still I have a few days off this week  :), though some mundane tasks to catch up on and, more importantly, people to catch up with.  But today at least I have re-drawn the blueprint, taking the bodice down a dot, and will (hopefully) find time on Wednesday to cut and sew it. The pattern doesn't look a lot different from the first one, but will see once I find time to make it up. Then I'll take some pics for help. I might also be able to see my mother who MIGHT be persuaded to take my measurements which should help. Hopefully then I can go forward :)

Offline Alice in bama

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 06:00:28 AM »
And just keep on basking for a while, Sheila!  You worked hard!

I agree you have done great and very brave to post all your test  patterns here
SEWING FOR FUN

• Sure-Fit Designs
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 03:24:15 AM »
This is just a quick note which I hope Kathryn (fzxdoc) will see.  Tonight I happened to (re)enter this forum discussion from the artisanssquare index/home page.  Where if a search is done for Sure Fit Designs, it says...this discussion continues on Sure Fit Designs 2 - even though that name/phrase is in red, indicating a link, it does not link into this ongoing discussion.

I thought you might like to know as new viewers coming in and doing a search for Sure-Fit Designs would only be able to access this ongoing discussion from the first link and read their way through to the link for Sure-Fit Designs 2. 

Perhaps you can make that an active link.   ;)

Thanks so much....Glenda
Kindly,
Glenda

Offline Alice in bama

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »
glenda
 If sou scroll down to the first post it will link back to the original   topic surefit
SEWING FOR FUN

Offline kimkfisher

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 05:51:39 PM »
Thanks to all of the great reviews on the Sure Fit Designs.  I ordered my Works Combo this morning.  I have already heard from Glenda and she is putting it in the mail today. 

Kim

Offline Alice in bama

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 05:56:17 PM »
you do get great service from them
SEWING FOR FUN

Offline sunlit2

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 03:53:02 PM »
I just bought the works kit  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.  I ordered over the phone and spoke to Glenda herself.  She is so nice.  Now I just have to wait for my kit and my new sewing machine to arrive  ;D ;D.  Thanks to everyone on here for sharing your experiences with the system.  It was the icing on the cake after seeing Glendas videos.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 07:45:59 PM »
This is just a quick note which I hope Kathryn (fzxdoc) will see.  Tonight I happened to (re)enter this forum discussion from the artisanssquare index/home page.  Where if a search is done for Sure Fit Designs, it says...this discussion continues on Sure Fit Designs 2 - even though that name/phrase is in red, indicating a link, it does not link into this ongoing discussion.

I thought you might like to know as new viewers coming in and doing a search for Sure-Fit Designs would only be able to access this ongoing discussion from the first link and read their way through to the link for Sure-Fit Designs 2. 

Perhaps you can make that an active link.   ;)

Thanks so much....Glenda

Glenda, the link to Sure Fit Designs 2 is in the last post of Sure Fit Designs.  I went back to the last post on the first Sure-Fit Designs topic and clicked on the link and it brought me right to this continuation topic, so on my two computers and iPad, the link works fine.

However, just to be sure, I redid the link just in case there is a problem with it on others' computers. If you have a problem with the link working for you, let me know. I appreciate the heads up.

However, I think the problem you are having is with the use of the Search Function results. When you use the Search function, the term you're searching for comes up in red, but only the topic lines in the search results are clickable links. The words in red under each topic do not function as clickable links in the Search Results page. You would have to click on the topic and then, when that destination post comes up, click on the link there. We can't change how the links within the Search Function results page work. I agree, it's a bit confusing though.  I'm glad you found your way here. :)

Kathryn
SG Admin/Mod Team

• Sure-Fit Designs
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 07:56:17 PM »
Hi Everyone...

For anyone who is not currently on the SFD newsletter mailing list, I though you might like to know that the new website - the SFDLearningCenter is now open for viewing.  The videos are now all labeled, categorized and catalogued, as are the articles.  New videos have been posted.  There is now a great sewing tutorial on testing your Dress Kit Bodice.  This will be particularly helpful for any of you who are beginner sewists.  You can find it all as one video at http://sfdlearningcenter.com/General_Info_Videos.html - it's GI.8 Testing & Fitting your Bodice: Tutorial, or if you want it in segments, then go to http://sfdlearningcenter.com/Sewing.html.

And for those of you who are completely new to Sure-Fit Designs and have questions, there's now a FAQ page with an accompanying video.  There's a number of commonly asked questions, and of course, the answers, when you are just getting to know about Sure-Fit Designs.  Just go to: http://sfdlearningcenter.com/FAQ.html.

I hope you all enjoy and benefit from the time you spend in the SFD Learning Center.  Please feel free to send me your feedback/comments...and if you see any typos or other glitches, definitely let me know. 

Time for a bit of a breather from working on this site, but you all know, that as my time permits, more videos will be added.  If you have any specific topics you'd like to suggest, please email me at info@sfdlearningcenter.com.

FYI - the original SFD website - http://www.surefitdesigns.com - will stay in place since it too is full of valuable info.

Happy Fitting....
Kindly,
Glenda

Offline Leonie

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2012, 03:58:36 AM »
Here is my muslin - with Glenda's helpful tips it only took me a few tries. I haven't sewn for a long time and I am ready for my new adventure. It has been so long since I have worn a dress, I am excited about the possibilities. Thanks Glenda!

• Sure-Fit Designs
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2012, 04:27:23 AM »
Leonie,  You look great and the muslin dress looks great.  Well done and thanks for posting your accomplishments.  You should be very pleased and proud of yourself.  We'll look forward to seeing your first fashion garment.
Kindly,
Glenda

Offline Carolyn

• Carolyn's Sewing Room
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2012, 08:54:40 PM »
Leonie, your muslin looks great and fits perfectly.  I know you'll be thrilled to have it when you start making other things.  I can't wait to see what you make next.

Glenda, the learning center also looks great.  What a wonderful resource for us.  I'm sure I'll be enjoying it for years to come.

I've been very busy making baby things and a little mending, but hope to get to some new pants for summer soon.
Carolyn

Offline Lizz

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 12:18:22 AM »
I have been reading this thread with great enthusiasm.  Fitting me seemed like something I would never accomplish!  After all of your successes I decided to try Sure Fit.  My Combo kit arrived today and I already have my pants sloper traced off.  Tomorrow afternoon I will sew my first muslin.   I can see some differences between the Sure-Fit crotch curves and my usual TNT curves.  I have high hopes for good luck with this system!  I will let you know.

Lizz

:laugh:

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics