Author Topic: How to handle an invasion  (Read 22670 times)

Offline Shadowe

Re: How to handle an invasion
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 03:38:55 AM »
So with all this nastiness, which I somehow managed to miss...I thought I would share some cute (to me) pics to lighten the mood...I use them all the time on my email group.

Namaste and Bright Blessings,
Shadowe

Offline andib

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 12:30:10 PM »
DL, in the past I have emailed you or a mod stating "looks like an invader in the Pattern section" or something like that.  Is that OK, or would you prefer another way of communicating?

BTW, thanks for all the work you and the mods go thru to keep this a nice place...I hate all that icky stuff!

Offline Doris W. in TN

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 01:31:55 PM »
Shadowe - those anti-troll posters are wonderful!     

The internet brings out the best in some people and the worst in others.   Thank you, Dragon Lady, for your work in keeping AS/SG free of the bottom feeders, invaders and hackers.    I sometimes wonder how much good could be done in this world, if those types channeled their intelligence, time and energies toward positive goals.   ~sighs~

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 02:33:57 PM »
Andib, when you click on the "report to moderator" button at the bottom of any post, the link to that particular post is sent to us along with any text that you write, such as "look in the Pattern section". 

That's why DL says that if you use that button on a nice post to tell us that there is a bad poster on the loose, it would take us a while to find which posts are bad, because the notification would contain a link to the nice post. You would have to mention that bad poster's membername, for example or say which topic s/he was posting the terrible stuff in.

So clicking on the "report to moderator" button is the best way to communicate with DL and all of us admins/mod when a bad poster is on the loose.

Kathryn

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2010, 11:37:13 AM »
Just pushed that report button moments ago!

Offline Gorgeous Things

• Beginner's Sewing Mentor
    • Gorgeous Fabrics
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2010, 12:38:29 PM »
Saw that one too, Martha. We seem to get waves of these things once in a while. Thank you to DL and the mods for being so vigilant!
Hugs
Proud sponsor of Stitchers Guild!
My store: http://www.gorgeousfabrics.com/
My blog: http://blog.gorgeousfabrics.com/

Offline ejvc

• Plan-bot on the loose
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2010, 01:44:44 PM »
Me too.
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2010, 01:58:13 PM »
Topic deleted. Poster banned. I feel like I just took out the garbage.

Kathryn

Offline Elona

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2010, 04:25:42 PM »
There's a brand new one, trying to sell accutane in Site News and Announcements, as well in almost every other topic.  The 'member' is named UncopinijapSkinCare.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 04:27:35 PM by Elona »

Offline Ann

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »
They are throughout the forum and I reported one through the moderator.

Ann
Education is a journey, not a race.

Ann's Blogs
http://everythingsewing.blogspot.com/

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2010, 04:38:40 PM »
I banned him and deleted all 30+ of his posts. Thanks for the heads up, you all.

Kathryn

Offline Ann

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2010, 04:39:49 PM »
Thanks Kathryn for doing such a great job so quickly.

Ann
Education is a journey, not a race.

Ann's Blogs
http://everythingsewing.blogspot.com/

Offline Elona

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2010, 08:22:26 PM »
Kathryn, our lightning-fast defender! :hunting:

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2010, 08:29:36 PM »
Thanks, guys! Just doin' my job. :)

Kathryn

Online Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »
Thanks to Sewsy and ejvc who posted "bumps" last night to help when SG was under attack!  :SGheart:

Lisa

etc: spelling

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 03:22:59 PM by Lisa »
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline andib

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »
I am not so smart about these things...but I am curious, what does bumping the topic do?

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2011, 08:05:43 PM »
I'll answer but I may not be totally correct.  Feel free to usurp my post if I'm not right.  Bumping makes another post (the bump post)appear above the spammer's post, and gets them off the "latest post" list.  This morning, when I came on here about 8am-ish, I pulled up the "unread posts since last visit".  About two-thirds of those were spam.  One of those left was a bump from ejvc.  Bumping isn't perfect, it doesn't tell you where the most recent posts prior to the spam are, but it at least gets those creeps off the "newest" list.  K

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »
I wish there were a way to 'dismiss' an unread post from a spammer without having to mark all the posts as read.  I, too, found close to two pages of spam when I first checked this am.  Not having a lot of time to pick through, I just marked them all as read.

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2011, 02:28:04 AM »
or to report a post without having to open the thread. Most are very obviously spam. I missed this morning's deluge.

Offline sewnow1004

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2011, 05:00:29 PM »
Today's birthday lists suspicious people to me (except Amanteslove) as most  just joined yesterday. Probably just waiting to post spam at another time.

Linda

Offline Susan in Saint John

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »
Thanks for all this information and the hard work of keeping these invaders at bay.  Now I understand why sometimes, "show unread posts since last visit" is empty.  I was wondering about that.

Zalin

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2011, 08:29:14 PM »
So, is bumping a good idea? Doesn't it make it harder to find the SPAM posts? Or does it matter? When I signed in this morning, most categories were showing a SPAM post by the same user. I reported one of them, but didn't bump anything else up to bury them. Should I have?

Offline Elona

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2011, 09:39:07 PM »
The latest onslaught appears to be somebody who posts in Cyrillic?  What on earth...

Offline ejvc

• Plan-bot on the loose
  • Me about age 2
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2011, 09:43:17 PM »
Seriously, it's getting irritating.  I think they are posting links to software cracks.  I read Cyrillic (I was not a good Russian student, but picked up the alphabet at least) and some of them have been for videos, programs, etc. Or who knows.

Online Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2011, 09:45:11 PM »
So, is bumping a good idea? Doesn't it make it harder to find the SPAM posts? Or does it matter? When I signed in this morning, most categories were showing a SPAM post by the same user. I reported one of them, but didn't bump anything else up to bury them. Should I have?

Hi Zalin,

"Bumping" is only a good idea when spam poster(s) are busily posting more spam as fast as they can--so much so that they basically are all one sees on the boards (literally, an invasion!). :o  If they are not currently posting, just report one of the posts from each spammm.  Then we'll take a look at all of their posts, so no need to report all of the posts from any one spammer separately.

HTH,

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline ejvc

• Plan-bot on the loose
  • Me about age 2
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2011, 09:47:39 PM »
Thanks Lisa -- that's what I saw when I was bumping - every board was filling up.  I think I'm often awake when the mods are asleep and they're up to their tricks.  It's been worse in the past couple of days.

Lisa, I've often wondered if the mods see our comments.  I sometimes put jokes in to lift the mood before a thankless task...

Zalin

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2011, 10:06:44 PM »
Thanks, Lisa.

Elona, that was Cyrillic? I thought maybe it was Romulan. LOL I ran it through a translator and it was all about perfume. I thought, "who wants to smell like a Romulan?"  :laugh: :laugh:

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2011, 10:16:04 PM »
Thanks Lisa -- that's what I saw when I was bumping - every board was filling up.  I think I'm often awake when the mods are asleep and they're up to their tricks.  It's been worse in the past couple of days.

Lisa, I've often wondered if the mods see our comments.  I sometimes put jokes in to lift the mood before a thankless task...

Actually, Elizabeth, almost always one or the other of us is awake when you post your comment or catches it soon thereafter. DL is a couple of time zones away from me, Lisa and Liana are one time zone away, and Ann is 6 hours ahead of the rest of us.  Fold that in with the fact that I am an incurable insomniac, one or the other of us is almost always around plus/minus an hour or so (ETA: Unless life intervenes).  We all appreciate your jokes!  :)

Kathryn
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:48:25 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2011, 10:18:26 PM »
Today's birthday lists suspicious people to me (except Amanteslove) as most  just joined yesterday. Probably just waiting to post spam at another time.

Linda
Linda, I noticed the same thing.  I've been gone all day, I logged on this morning at the same time as the morning spammer.  The person was still online and was still posting, but had already hit nearly every thread.  I sent a mod notice and then left, as I had to leave the house.  I went to the bottom, however, to see if any of the mods were online and noticed that string of unusual names on the birthday list.  Not only new, but unusual names not generally attached to stitchers and crafters and the like.  I wished at the time there had been a bat signal to send the mods!  I'm just back, and went straight to unread posts, so this is the first thing I saw, but I'm wondering if there is a way to intervene when several of us notice things like this?  It isn't fair to close up ranks to new people, we have the nicest people turn up that way (and the most talented), but gee whiz, this seems to really be a trend lately.  I can't believe they actually sell that many shoes...  K

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2011, 11:35:47 PM »
Where do I find the birthday list?  I can't believe a spammer can locate it but I haven't a clue.  ;)

Online Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2011, 12:07:38 AM »
Where do I find the birthday list?  I can't believe a spammer can locate it but I haven't a clue.  ;)

If you go to the "Home" page, and scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see them under "Upcoming Calendar."  Members whose birthdays are today are in boldtype, the others are "upcoming."  If you click on the little icon to the left of that, you'll see the calendar.  It shows both birthdays and events that have been added to the SG calendar.

HTH,

Lisa

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2011, 12:08:19 AM »
I just wrote instructions and sent them to cyberspace  :P .  Martha, the birthday list is at the bottom of the home page.  Click on the Home page, and scroll to the bottom.  There are several lists, one is the list of members online in the past 15 minutes (that is where I went this morning to see if a mod was online.)  Above that is an upcoming calendar, and within that is a birthday list.  The members who have put their birthday in their registration are listed there, with their ages in parentheses if they have registered their birth year.  I don't routinely look at the birthdays, but I do look to see if a mod is online sometimes if I see spamming or if I'm sending a personal message.  When I went to the online list this morning, the birthday list was probably twice as long as usual and thus caught my attention.  Looking through the names, there were very many that were unfamiliar and unusual.  This seems like a lot more than in the past, in face I logged on here about two hours ago and have come back and forth to the computer during that time, and have already caught two more spammers just going in and out of the new postings section.  Very annoying.  K

Lisa, we were posting at same time.  Good to know you're here, go kick that ED nut to the curb!

Online Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2011, 12:16:44 AM »
He's gone (and banned).  Just keep telling us when new ones come along! ;) ;D

Lisa

Offline kaaren

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2011, 03:29:18 AM »
Must be a Karen/Kaaren thing but when I logged on this morning, I was surprised to see no moderators on line and a page full of spam.  But I join Karen in thinking that a many of the new members are here for no good.  New members can't all just join and have a birthday. But when you highlight the name you will find out websites and more info than you wanted to know.    You can tell it is summer and I wonder if they are really the age they state.  But why pick on us?  Kaaren

Online Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2011, 03:49:23 AM »
And there are 95 guests online?  I've never seen that many "guests" online.  Weird.
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics