Author Topic: Peggy Sagers' Silhouette Patterns 3  (Read 91251 times)

Offline tcsewhat

Re: Peggy Sagers' Silhouette Patterns 3
« Reply #595 on: January 30, 2013, 03:02:58 AM »
I think Peggy's yoga pants fit the same as RTW.  The waistband is more like a waist yoke.  It is curved to your body a bit more than just elastic waist pants are.  It curves from the waist down towards the hips and fits snugly and smoothly.  There is 2 inch wide elastic inside the band.  So there is none of the gathered fabric you see in regular elastic waist pants.  This is what makes them great to wear- a nice smooth fit.  They look great under tops you wear outside your pants.

Offline tcsewhat

« Reply #596 on: January 30, 2013, 03:11:23 AM »
http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-women-s-ps-semft-pant-indigo-screen/-/A-14228461#prodSlot=large_1_21

Zoom in on the waistband on these RTW pants. These are C9 workout pants from Target.  Most yoga pants fit like this.  See how there is no bunching of fabric at the waist?  There is elastic inside.  They fit smooth like that on your body- not just on the hangar.  No need for a drawstring.

They are so comfortable.  If I could find a way to make them out of a fabric that had stretch and still looked like dress pants, I would wear them to work.  With a tunic top on, you would never know.

Offline Linda 75142

• Seams Well Blog
« Reply #597 on: January 30, 2013, 01:14:39 PM »
I think Peggy's yoga pants fit the same as RTW.  The waistband is more like a waist yoke.  It is curved to your body a bit more than just elastic waist pants are.  It curves from the waist down towards the hips and fits snugly and smoothly.  There is 2 inch wide elastic inside the band.  So there is none of the gathered fabric you see in regular elastic waist pants.  This is what makes them great to wear- a nice smooth fit.  They look great under tops you wear outside your pants.

I agree with this comparison.  Just made the yoga and love it.
Linda T

"The past is history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift; that's the reason they call it the present." --Mike Ditka

www.seamswell.blogspot.com

Offline Linda 75142

• Seams Well Blog
« Reply #598 on: January 30, 2013, 01:17:03 PM »
http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-women-s-ps-semft-pant-indigo-screen/-/A-14228461#prodSlot=large_1_21

If I could find a way to make them out of a fabric that had stretch and still looked like dress pants, I would wear them to work.  With a tunic top on, you would never know.

Peggy showed them (and I made a pair) out of RPL woven fabric.  She Suggested to go up a size.  Make sure the waistband will go over the hips with the woven stretch fabric.  They skim the body rather than hugging.  Worked just fine and I've worn them often.
Linda T

"The past is history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift; that's the reason they call it the present." --Mike Ditka

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #599 on: January 30, 2013, 02:22:06 PM »
I went up a couple of sizes and made some from linen - fit well and look great.
If you're doing the best you can under your current circumstances... then kick up your heels and dance

Sometimes when things are falling apart they may actually be falling into place

Offline LyndaC

« Reply #600 on: January 30, 2013, 03:36:19 PM »
I do not understand why people say this waistband is "curved to fit the body."  It is a simple rectangle!

That is why I taper the only seam you can taper and taper the elastic band inside.  That is the only place you can alter or give any tapering at all without creating your own custom curved band, which is certainly a good option.

Made as is, the waistband WILL stand away from your body at the waist top unless you are very straight.

Offline gwensews

• All My Seams
« Reply #601 on: January 30, 2013, 04:29:48 PM »
Thank you for the description of Yoga pants.  I imagine the yoke should mimic your body shape, whether your waist/hips are curvy or a straighter silhouette.   Like a contoured waistband.  I get it. 

Offline lakestitcher

« Reply #602 on: January 30, 2013, 04:33:46 PM »
Looking on the site at patterns, there are 2 yoga pants. #3011 Nanette's and #3400 - 3 pc yoga pant. Which one is it that everyone here likes so much? I wanted to order a while back but got confused when I saw 2 different patterns.
Thanks for any help!

Offline Cocokat

« Reply #603 on: January 30, 2013, 05:31:54 PM »
Looking on the site at patterns, there are 2 yoga pants. #3011 Nanette's and #3400 - 3 pc yoga pant. Which one is it that everyone here likes so much? I wanted to order a while back but got confused when I saw 2 different patterns.
Thanks for any help!

The 3 piece yoga pant is the original and I think the one most are referring to.
Nanette's pant, I believe is the same as the original with added style lines.
I have both patterns, but have only sewed up the first.
Peggy is very quick to respond to queries if you would like to verify with her.
Heather

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #604 on: January 30, 2013, 06:01:57 PM »
I have the original - the 3 piece, as Heather said.  Then the 'new' one came out and I had to have it - but haven't even opened the envelope.  If this is your first try with them I'd stick with the 3 pieces - it will be easier to tweak the fit with the fewer pieces.
If you're doing the best you can under your current circumstances... then kick up your heels and dance

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #605 on: January 30, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »
Just my personal findings, as someone said be sure to email her if you have questions. I used the original first, started with a 4 and still had to pull some fabric in along lower crotch front as too wide.  It fit great but also came (on me) up too high, I am 5'2-3/4"standing straight and tall so probably need to take some off the top of this pattern next time I use it, I didn't like it hitting at the true waist, I prefer my yoga pants lower.   I used the newer one Nanette's pant, starting with same size, much better fit right out of the envelope.  Just a tiny bit too much fabric in that same zone, but more fitted overall and lower from the get go.   And I like the seam line detail.  I also used 3" elastic. I know, kind of wide, but it sort of pulls me in where I need to be pulled in  ;)
Karen

Offline lakestitcher

« Reply #606 on: January 30, 2013, 07:16:40 PM »
Thanks for the info, that helps a lot! I think I'll start with the 3 piece pattern first. I usually use LC One Seams for pants and love them. But need/want a closer fitting knit pant. Hope this one works for me.

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #607 on: January 30, 2013, 09:39:11 PM »
Karen, I'm the complete opposite and found I had to add to the crotch length as it was still too short.  But I am 5'9" and very high waisted so needed a longer rise.  This is the first pants pattern I ever made right out of the envelope that had a decent fit.  I still don't like knit pants but for exercise class it's wonderful.  I can see why people rave about the pattern.

Offline tcsewhat

« Reply #608 on: February 02, 2013, 01:11:10 AM »
LyndaC-
I haven't made up the yoga pants yet.  They are my muslin for the Silhouette fit class.  And yes, I wondered how the rectangle waistband would curve to fit my curves.  But I know from RTW that it does.  My Target C9 pants have a straight band.  But when the stretch fabric is on my body, it curves where it needs to curve. 
If it doesn't work, I will report back to you. 

Offline LyndaC

« Reply #609 on: February 02, 2013, 02:15:49 AM »
Thanks.  I would like to know what you think about the fit of the rectangle waistband.  Perhaps it works better of a straight figure, or if you wear them so low that there is no curve. 

It is nice that it is easy to change.

Offline Mardella

« Reply #610 on: February 02, 2013, 06:32:34 PM »
On one of Peggy's free shows, she showed how to do the waist on the yoga pant with a tapered lap over at the front.  Look in the archives for a show on yoga pants.   If I recall correctly, she just used elastic at the back.  I have not tried this myself, so can't say how well it works.   I think on my shape the front waist would curl too much, but I've been thinking of trying something similar with elastic inside.   I would cut the elastic in a tapered shape and overlap in front.   Has anyone tried this?  I have some RTW yoga pants that are done this way, but the elastic is much narrower on those.  I'm still wearing the unaltered pair of yoga pants that I made to try the pattern.   I need to make another pair with my alterations.  I better get going before my shape changes, again.   ::)
Mardella

Offline LyndaC

« Reply #611 on: February 02, 2013, 06:40:45 PM »
Marcella, that is exactly what I have done.  I wrote about it on a previous page here.  Just overlap the elastic unevenly, stitch it flat, and taper the waistband.  Remember to put the tapered end UP when you connect it to the legs!

It will not make a huge difference, but it helps.

I also use nonroll elastic.

Offline Mardella

« Reply #612 on: February 02, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »
Thanks LyndaC.   I'll go back and reread looking for your post.   I do think I will give this a try soon.
Mardella

Zalin

« Reply #613 on: February 02, 2013, 08:11:47 PM »
So just to clarify. The yoga pant is a stretchy pant with elastic in a "yoke" instead of a waistband? What width elastic are you putting in that yoke?

ETA: Nevermind. I just looked at the pattern. It's 2" elastic.

Is the yoke 2" wide?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:14:44 PM by Zalin »

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #614 on: February 02, 2013, 08:19:35 PM »
I already posted this on the Sharing topic earlier in the week, but thought that perhaps those who do not visit that topic might like to see what a sleeveless version of Silhouette Patterns #550, the Cowl Neck Top, looks like as a top and also elongated and belted to make a dress. The grey sequin-embellished knit was purchased from Peggy's site and the dress knit came from my stash. The dress was my wearable muslin, since I made the armhole significantly smaller both in circumference and armhole depth.

You can read about the alterations I made to the pattern on my 'blog, if interested.

Kathryn

Offline LyndaC

« Reply #615 on: February 02, 2013, 10:36:23 PM »
Kathryn, I am once again so impressed with your skills!  Both outfits are classy and have personality, thanks to your choice of lovely fabric.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:13:34 PM by LyndaC »

Offline mfedna

« Reply #616 on: February 02, 2013, 10:52:32 PM »
fzxdoc - some of what you've noted (shoulders, fabric stretched between bust points) I did also, and had some conversation with Peggy mainly because i don't have the skill set to make the adjustments you have the knowledge/skills to make. I made several of these because I like the pattern, but none of them fit me (they were a huge success with a bunch of my friends - whom they fit well!). My issue with this pattern was the "pooling" of the fabric between the busts when I made some alterations.  i figured this was due to my 'short bodice'. I plan to try again .... with yet another muslin.  Meanwhile, my friends are looking GOOD (and I will have a muslin!).

Offline Linda 75142

• Seams Well Blog
« Reply #617 on: February 02, 2013, 10:57:49 PM »
fzxdoc - some of what you've noted (shoulders, fabric stretched between bust points) I did also, and had some conversation with Peggy mainly because i don't have the skill set to make the adjustments you have the knowledge/skills to make. I made several of these because I like the pattern, but none of them fit me (they were a huge success with a bunch of my friends - whom they fit well!). My issue with this pattern was the "pooling" of the fabric between the busts when I made some alterations.  i figured this was due to my 'short bodice'. I plan to try again .... with yet another muslin.  Meanwhile, my friends are looking GOOD (and I will have a muslin!).

Send Peggy a photo.  I'm sure she can quickly provide a fix for the pooling.  She's good at responding to questions.  I've sent photos to her and she has responded quickly.
Linda T

Offline tcsewhat

« Reply #618 on: February 02, 2013, 11:43:55 PM »
I just finished my muslin of the 3 piece yoga pants for the session in Cleveland.  These are the best fitting pants I have ever made straight out of the envelope!When I have tried pants from other designers, there was always too much fabric in the front and the legs were too tight in the upper thigh.  That meant lots of fiddling.  With these, I am just going to have to change the width of the waistband- 2 inches is too long for me and maybe actually take in thru the thighs.  They look good in the butt too.  I am thinking about buying some of the other pants patterns she makes.  I am really pleased with how good the fit is and how easily they go together.  Maybe now I will stop avoiding pants.

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #619 on: February 02, 2013, 11:46:45 PM »
I just finished my muslin of the 3 piece yoga pants for the session in Cleveland.  These are the best fitting pants I have ever made straight out of the envelope!When I have tried pants from other designers, there was always too much fabric in the front and the legs were too tight in the upper thigh.  That meant lots of fiddling.  With these, I am just going to have to change the width of the waistband- 2 inches is too long for me and maybe actually take in thru the thighs.  They look good in the butt too.  I am thinking about buying some of the other pants patterns she makes.  I am really pleased with how good the fit is and how easily they go together.  Maybe now I will stop avoiding pants.
Congratulations.  It's really nice when you get a good TNT pant pattern!!

Offline tcsewhat

« Reply #620 on: February 02, 2013, 11:47:03 PM »
BTW, Pamela's Patterns is supposed to have elastic you can cut to any width.  She uses it in her Magic Pencil Skirt.  I think it would work in the yoga waistband, even if you did the taper in the front.  You could cut the elastic to follow the curve of the tapered waistband.  Haven't tried it but it seems like it will work.

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #621 on: February 03, 2013, 12:38:24 AM »
I bought elastic for yoga pants at JoAnn's so it is readily available.

Offline LyndaC

« Reply #622 on: February 03, 2013, 01:26:24 AM »
The waistband is NOT tapered.  By overlapping the elastic in a tapered shape, you can get a tiny bit of taper, but not much. 

The 2" elastic was too big for me, too, but the 1.5" worked out great.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #623 on: February 03, 2013, 03:09:21 PM »
Thank you, Lynda, for the lovely compliment.

Mfedna, I agree with Linda--send a picture to Peggy. She responds to emails very quickly, and can get you on your way to getting that top to fit you perfectly.

I approached the armhole alteration differently from how I normally do it. I had made a couple of cowl-neck blouses with a Vogue pattern and thought it would be easy to just use the Vogue armhole. I altered the back accordingly but the Silhouettes front piece was way different from the Vogue front piece because the Vogue cowl was deeper. I redrew an armhole that I thought was close and then used the muslin to do the rest of the fitting. It was not an elegant way of altering a pattern, but for me it worked.

I needed the armhole to be smaller than the smallest size on the Silhouettes pattern, so going to a different pattern line on the multisized pattern was not an option.

In altering a pattern, it's good to change one thing at a time and study the effect in between each step. Since a cowl front pattern piece is so confusing, it was easier for me to make the changes one at a time on the muslin.

I think your efforts will be rewarded. This is a very pretty top when it is completed. I absolutely love wearing it.

HTH,
Kathryn

Offline mfedna

« Reply #624 on: February 03, 2013, 03:27:33 PM »
I have sent photos.... and received immediate response.  Sometimes seeing an example that is 'extreme' helps articulate essential problems. I sent Peggy a photo of an ill-fitting one, found in the NYT, where the 'pooling' of the excess fabric accentuated rounded shoulders and a short bodice, creating an unflattering image. In April when I see her I will be able to share 'the real muslin' again. 

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #625 on: February 03, 2013, 03:39:53 PM »
Oh, that will be great, Mfedna. Once Peggy gets her hands on the muslin, I'm sure she'll have it fixed in no time. How lucky that you get to attend one of her classes in April!

Kathryn

Offline Linda 75142

• Seams Well Blog
« Reply #626 on: February 04, 2013, 06:15:08 PM »
Webcast tonight!
Linda T

Offline gwensews

• All My Seams
« Reply #627 on: February 04, 2013, 11:45:10 PM »
I'll be there.  Can't wait to see what she does with the T and Cardi.  And, I even have that pattern! Yay!

Offline Linda 75142

• Seams Well Blog
« Reply #628 on: February 04, 2013, 11:50:54 PM »
I have the pattern, too, Gwen.  In fact I traced it a month or more ago, but never got around to making it up to check fit.  Maybe I'll get inspired tonight!
Linda T

Offline LynnH

• Me at 10
« Reply #629 on: February 05, 2013, 04:01:06 AM »
My head is still reeling.  From the sweater set (#195) with a tank & cardigan sweater top she made:
- t-shirt
- twin set
- jacket
- tunic
- dress
- fur jacket
- and her PJs

All without drastically changing the pattern.  Most changes were rounding off the sweater neck edge and lengthening the body.
Lynn

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics