Author Topic: Wardrobe and Capsule Planning References 2  (Read 38738 times)

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Wardrobe and Capsule Planning References 2
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:57:03 PM »
This is a continuation of the discussion begun at "Wardrobe and Capsule planning references."

Enjoy!

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
Re: Wardrobe and Capsule Planning References 2
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:38:51 AM »
Nancy Nix-Rice has a new article on knit dresses.
http://www.nancynixrice.com/dresses_to_delight.html
I really like knit dresses, but never could get styles that worked and fitted in RTW.
Now I can have whatever length I like, have the lower body a whole size larger than the upper body with a gently flaring skirt etc. And if it all goes a bit wrong, just chop off some length and I have a new top!

Offline Lisanne

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:25:11 AM »
Quote from Susan in Saint John
"It really depends on which colour wheel you use.  I like "Color Play" by Joen Wolfrom.  http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-3---1-Color-Tool/dp/1607052350/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1330271146&sr=8-4  It's designed for quilters but I use it for clothing too.  Except for true black and true white, all the "neutrals" are there. "

Yes there are good colour wheels.  But the majority of clothing and quilting books just include the outer ring.  Even an expensive book like Rasband 'Wardrobe strategies for women' only has a boring version of the colour wheel.  She has a separate colour picture of neutrals, which includes much more subtle and interesting 'mixed' colours which don't appear anywhere in her colour wheel.

Look at 'The Triumph of Individual Style' for a really sophisticated treatment of colour.  They show what they call the 'pure pigment' colour wheel, then go on to show pages and pages of much more luscious colours (which a Clear Spring or Winter might not be interested in  ;D).

Sadly most fabric designers seem to work by the simple colour wheel.  It's so difficult for those of us who need or love more complex colours to find them.

(And congratulations to everyone for making this such an interesting rich discussion that it's gone on to a second section !)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:54:19 AM by Lisanne »
Does this make you feel special  ;D  if not, try something else

Sewingplums
Easy Jackets - mainly links to jacket tutorials, in left menu
Celestine’s Sewing - learn to sew the Edwardian way
Aim for Quality - links to good on-line tutorials for sewing basics

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:10:55 PM »

Sadly most fabric designers seem to work by the simple colour wheel.  It's so difficult for those of us who need or love more complex colours to find them.
The most educational color wheel I've ever had (and still do) is The Pick Poin t and Match Rainbow Tonal Color Selector

My succes with this colorwheel is exactly what you are talking about.  Most color wheels show pure pigments, but most fabrics use tonal colors. Using this color wheel I finally was able to accurately place on the wheel the fabrics I select.  It really made a huge difference for me.

Offline joycep

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:29:07 PM »
Thanks for that color wheel reference, Bev. Also.. went to your blog and just wanted to comment on your lovely "frankenpattern" top! What superb placement of what could have been an awkward fabric, as well as neat adjustments. Like you, when I get an idea, I want to sew NOW. Good job!

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:31:01 PM »
Thanks for that color wheel reference, Bev. Also.. went to your blog and just wanted to comment on your lovely "frankenpattern" top! What superb placement of what could have been an awkward fabric, as well as neat adjustments. Like you, when I get an idea, I want to sew NOW. Good job!
Oh thank you.  You did note I was inspired by StyleArc Patterns?  I looked carefully at the designers sketch and copied to the best of my ability.  The price of the patterns isn't bad, it's the two week wait that kills me.

Offline Susan in Saint John

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:26:54 AM »
Some of the fabrics that Loes Hinse chooses for Casual Elegance http://casualelegancefabric.com/fabric?s=1330388568-721443208 can be described as complex neutrals -- the sorts of fabrics which look different depending on what other colours you put with them.  They can look sort of brown and sort of green or blue and perhaps greyish/toned -- not at all clear colours.  Sometimes there are fabrics with more than 1 colour -- just flecks or slubs of a second colour or tweedy.  They have the look of texture but are not necessary at all thick.  I find these types of fabrics so much more interesting than solid colours in a plain weave.  Often I find them much easier to mix and match.

Offline JuneBug

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:48:31 PM »
Susan in Saint John:  Those fabrics sound like my sister's eyes.  Depending on what she is wearing, they take on the hue of her clothes are are more green, grey or blue.  When she wears black they are kind of between grey and blue. 

Offline crazyquilter

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 10:34:13 PM »
There was an interesting article today in one of the blogs I follow.

Work Wear for Spring: One Capsule, Many Outfits
from YouLookFab by Angie

http://tinyurl.com/82u64r5

I kind of like her take on the capsule.

Dawn

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 07:27:19 AM »
It is a very fresh and modern capsule I like it a lot.
Thank you for sharing the link.

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 09:15:50 AM »
Interesting - five tops, three bottoms, two overlayers, giving 10 items in all.  The bottoms and jackets are all neutrals, although one bottom is a neutral print.  Three coloured tops, one a print, and two neutrals. A variety of shapes in all the pieces, which I personally find very difficult to work with, but perhaps if you are very slim you can look good in all of these.  I would tend to add another bottom to the mix because three will get old very soon.  The tops she chooses are two shirts, a blouse, a wrap top and a knit top.

Ruthie, that orange coral would look well on you.
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline Lisanne

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 12:34:52 PM »
If you have ever thought of trying the 'Dressing Your Truth' system, it's on a special low offer of $99 until March 31 at
http://dressingyourtruth.com/truefriend

She only has 4 styles, and does rather claim to have invented the wheel.  Don't buy the very expensive book to get a feel for the material as it has minimum content and is free with the course.  To get an introductory feel, search for 'Dressing Your Truth' at YouTube, where there are 100s of videos.

Her styles to me combine 2 familiar systems :
Type 1 : Casual, Spring.
Type 2 : Romantic, Summer.
Type 3 : Classic, Autumn.
Type 4 : Dramatic, Winter.

So if you're light-hearted, you have to wear 'Spring' colours whatever your personal colouring, etc.  She colours people's hair so they look good in the assigned colour of clothes.  Now that to me doesn't seem like honouring someone's truth !

I think all of us here are well used to the idea that we're all much too interesting and individual to be described adequately by only 4 categories !  I'm a subtle, flowing Type 2 in her scheme, but definitely don't wear frills and flounces, and am dubious about some of the colours on me.  I would guess many individuals have to think outside her box to get the details right for themselves. 

But if you can manage to get your head round it all, there's much good food for thought.
You receive a lot of aggressive selling of both the system and their products, but there's also hours of videos showing outfits and improving them with accessories.
I got a $99 version and find it good value as I'm interested in style.  Not sure I could recommend it at full price  ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:10:35 AM by Lisanne »

Sewingplums

Zalin

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 05:06:47 PM »
crazyquilter, I like that capsule also. It is very Spring-like, but I love those colors.

Offline redside

• American Age Fashion
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 05:19:56 PM »
Lisanne, I would love to know what you are learning from the "dressing your truth" system.  I thought the website looked a little intimidating...too many variables.  But $99 really isn't all that much money if the system really helps.
Redside--aka Lynn
My fashion history blog: www.americanagefashion.com

Offline SarahLouWho

• Sarah
    • In a Nutshell, Anachronism
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 02:36:43 AM »
I don't know how to feel about the "trendiness" of the capsule, but I do love the colors and the format... The silouettes are what I'm not quite sold on in this instance. Maybe it's just me but when I sew something I want to know I'll be able to wear it for a while, not just the season that something is "in". The perk of wardrobe and capsule thinking for me has been in the longevity I think, more of a nod to the trend then centering around it.
Ruthie, the coral would go well on you.
My blog about sewing and life: In a Nutshell, Anachronism

Offline Lisanne

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 10:44:35 AM »
Lynn - I'm having very mixed feelings about the 'Dressing your truth' system.
It's definitely having an impact on the way I dress and accessorise.
There are about 45 hours of video demos of clothes and accessories, which are fun.  (Most of the videos cover all 4 styles.)  So much food for thought.

On the other hand, I would be very unhappy if I had to wear the clothes (specific styles and colours) chosen by the two demo ladies for my style.  Lovely people and beautifully dressed, but just not 'me'.  So I'm having to think 'outside the box' to adapt it to my own style.

And I do wilt under aggressive marketing - Carol Tuttle is a very assertive lady who has short shrift for people who disagree. . .  So I'm having to watch for a few minutes at a time  ;D

Here's some lengthy taster videos which give a good idea :
http://dressingyourtruth.com/the-center/events/intro-to-dressing-your-truth/intro-to-dressing-your-truth-event-recordings/

Overall I'm pleased.  But for a very quiet person it is rather an overwhelming experience  ;D

Sewingplums

Offline marie-louise

• Oakland, California, USA
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »
Lisanne-

Thanks for sharing this. I'd never heard of her before. I agree with you, her "in-your-face" enthusiasm is a bit much to watch, but there is a lot of good information in there. I think my personality is one style, but my coloring is another, and it's interesting to see their explanation of this. I've enjoyed watching some of her free videos. I'm on the fence about buying it.

I have to say, I was a little creeped out by the people who said this system had changed their life, making them a better mother and such. Is there really that much psychotherapy in the program?

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 06:37:24 PM »
These are interesting.  I learned a new term.  It's not Ready-To-Wear in the stores it's Ready-To-ALTER.

Offline Lisanne

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 08:55:19 PM »
Marie-Louise : Carol Tuttle is actually a psychotherapist, in the EFT/ chakras/ meridians tradition.  But this very rarely gets mentioned in Dressing Your Truth, it isn't at all an emphasis.  I suspect she just picks out people who are much happier when they're more true to themselves, as it's a good sales line.

I think the people who get the most excited about this are people who didn't know there was any advice on personal style and flattering colours out there.  CT does tend to claim she's the only one trying to flatter individuals.  Anyone who's followed this SG thread isn't so naive  ;D   [Judith Rasband also lives in Utah and is the matriarch of a huge family - I wonder if they know each other  ;D  Does CT know there are several college text books on individual style. . .]

I had already done a lot of work on identifying my personal style and best wardrobe components and best colours (have worked through most of the books mentioned in this thread  ;D)   And at first I thought this system told me to change completely (all those ladies of my Type wafting around in violet ruffles. . .).  But now I've worked out how to continue to wear my favourite range of colours, and just soften my style a bit and wear different accessories, I can see how I 'fit in" and that it's a helpful scheme !  No dramatic changes or fulsome compliments around here, just a useful extension of what I've already been doing.

Sewingplums

Offline su-sew

• wordpress
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 10:13:38 PM »
I've read a lot of books on choosing your best style and wardrobing and the like and also learned a lot from being on Stitcher's Guild.
I've come the conclusion that no one system or idea works 100% for each person.

For myself I've picked up bits and pieces of other's ideas and listened when I've received compliments on the way I'm dressed to figure out what looks better on me.  Taking lots of photos of me wearing what I've made over the years was also a way of seeing objectively what looks better on me.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:11:24 AM by su-sew »
My blog: sewstyled.wordpress.com

Offline Lisanne

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 11:19:47 PM »
You're so right su-sew - it's like fit, and body shape flattery.  We're all different.  And any system that is simple enough to be understandable can only cover a few aspects of such complex issues.  Each book and course adds another emphasis which we can learn a little more from.  So we keep tweaking our fit, shape, and style as we come across new ideas.

I had a similar 'aha' with a blog post I recently wrote on body shape.  Several people commented on other body shape schemes they find helpful.  I realised that none of the body shape schemes fit me exactly, but there is one I'm closest too, and I've learned at least one important and helpful thing about my body from each of the others.  The same with personal style schemes.

Carol Tuttle emphasises a person's most characteristic 'movement' :
Type 1 - bouncy, light, playful
Type 2 - smoothly flowing and subtle
Type 3 - pushing and achieving
Type 4 - aiming for clarity of perfection.
Then she suggests clothes, colours, accessories that she thinks show this type of movement, so are compatible with your basic nature.
The trouble is my basic nature is far from one-dimensional, so for me it's an interesting rather than a complete scheme !

In fact one especially big gap in her system is body shape. She has a little advice on it.  But she does assume that once you know your style you'll love to go shopping.  She doesn't mention people who can't find anything to fit !

I think the advantage of the Dressing Your Truth system is the sheer wealth of material - many hours of videos showing outfits and accessorising for different areas of life.  But have a look at some of the taster videos (link in a previous comment) to see if you enjoy the style of presentation.

Sewingplums

Offline su-sew

• wordpress
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 02:14:09 AM »
I couldn't take more than 30 seconds of the video - the sound quality was so poor I couldn't take it.
My blog: sewstyled.wordpress.com

Offline marie-louise

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 02:18:33 AM »
After watching a number of the free videos, it finally dawned on me what this reminded me of: Myers-Briggs. If you are not familiar with this, it is a well-known personality test that's been around since the 1950's. I took the test once, showed the description of my type to my husband, and he said, my God, this is like someone wrote this just for you.

Not surprisingly, someone has coorelated Myers Briggs type to fashion: http://www.psychologyfitness.com/

Offline Lisanne

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 10:28:45 AM »
Thanks for the fun link Marie-Louise.
I also find the Myers-Briggs more informative than Carol Tuttle - though I certainly don't wear what's recommended here  :D

What a pity this writer hasn't done the Ss  . . .  another 8 MBTI personality types to go

Sewingplums

Offline Lisanne

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 11:26:09 AM »
You Look Fab now has a more compact capsule for spring
http://youlookfab.com/2012/03/21/work-wear-for-spring-the-compact-capsule/

consisting of :
3 tops :
Fitted knit top with sleeves
Fitted sleeveless knit top
White shirt

2 bottoms : skirt, pants

2 layers : blazer, boyfriend cardigan

2 pairs shoes
I bag

Hmm, not much of this is a style I would wear, even if it wasn't all black and white.

Sewingplums

Offline marie-louise

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »
I signed up for the program, using Lisanne's $99 dollar link instead of paying the usual $298. (THANK YOU!)

Based on both the facial features and some of the videos about characteristics, I'm a Type 2. I thought I might be a Type 1, since I am an eternal optimist, but I am nauseatingly organized. No way I'd always be late or not follow through on things. The most telling videos for me were the look inside of each type's purse. Again, no way I'd lose things in my purse for a few months; like the Type 2 in the video, I empty out my purse every few days. And yes, you might find swatches in there.  ;)

I haven't done the clothing portion yet. I'm not a "girly-girl" but I would say that I don't like my clothes to call too much attention to myself-I feel like the clothes are wearing me, not me wearing the clothes-so we'll see what "soft and subtle" options I can find among their suggestions.

It's perfect timing. I've lost 20 pounds and I'm plugging away on the next 20. I need a new wardrobe!

Again, thank you. I'm really enjoying it.

Offline SarahLouWho

• Sarah
    • In a Nutshell, Anachronism
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 02:25:34 PM »
Lisanne, these are pieces and silhouettes I can get behind more for a capsule because the items play better together and they're more of the core pieces people could easily incorporate into their closets, and I'd be more prepared to mix and match this bunch with things that exist in my closet already in the name of a cohesive wardrobe.
Thanks for sharing!
My blog about sewing and life: In a Nutshell, Anachronism

Offline Lisanne

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 03:33:03 PM »
I signed up for the program, using Lisanne's $99 dollar link instead of paying the usual $298.
I'm really enjoying it.

I'm very happy to hear it  ;D

[the $99 link only works to March 31]

I think the most telling 'oh of course that's me' was about learning style.  I need to be led slowly through all the details when I'm learning something - definitely Type 2.  I too thought I'm Type 1 as I'm an ideas generator.  But jumping in and making a mess playing with materials is not me at all  ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:55:05 PM by Lisanne »

Sewingplums

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 04:21:10 PM »
LOL, I haven't looked but from your descriptions I'm type 1: jump in, check.  Lose things in purse, check.  Lose things OUTSIDE of purse, double check.  Idea generator, check.  Bad on follow-through, check.  Now, what should I wear?  Nothing I can lose...  My Myers-Briggs is ENTJ, I'm a highly intuitive learner, and I come out as the "Black Knight" in the medieval personality test :-)

ETA: Black Knight: "Your distinct personality, The Black Knight, might be found in most of the thriving kingdoms of the time. Your overriding goal is to win. You approach each task or situation as a contest to be won strategically and efficiently. Because you can control your feelings, it is not unusual for you to charm, as well as successfully delegate tasks and responsibilities to the more emotional types. You are often concerned with what's in it for you. You seldom involve yourself in activities where you can not foresee a reward for your investment or effort. On the positive side, you can be analytically empathic and logically persuasive. On the negative side, you may be unemotionally manipulative as well as impulsive. Interestingly, your preference is just as applicable in today's corporate kingdoms."

I guess I'm kind of a jerk, huh? I prefer to think of it as being efficient.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:23:16 PM by ejvc »
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline marie-louise

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 04:41:28 PM »
Now I'm not sure I'm not simply an organized Type 1, LOL. She has a drawing of the different thought processes and I am totally a "loose-association" thinker. Type 1's like change, and so do I...

My Myers Briggs type is ENTP (order of preference is Intuition, Thinking, Feeling, Sensing).

Offline Lisanne

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 08:09:15 PM »
For the Dressing Your Truth 4 Types, see the February 2011 Intro Event video here
http://dressingyourtruth.com/the-center/events/intro-to-dressing-your-truth/intro-to-dressing-your-truth-event-recordings/
from about 8 minutes to 32 minutes [skip those first 8 minutes] for a very simple summary of the 4 types.
The total scheme is not quite as simple as this, as you have a 'secondary' type which influences things, but this gives the general idea.

April 2011 intro event - longer section : 12 minutes to 51 minutes

Suspect she might say Elizabeth's Black Knight is a Type 3    ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:15:02 PM by Lisanne »

Sewingplums

Offline marie-louise

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2012, 01:26:32 AM »
I watched a little more today. I was really bouncing around, not feeling like either Type 1 or 2 was me. Then I discovered this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHfmQWC7YWg&feature=related

It seems that Type 4 and Type 1 are a common duo, with either one being the primary type. After re-reading the materials and watching some of the videos of actual people, now I think I'm a primary Type 4 with a Type 1 secondary. I don't think of myelf as a "bold, striking woman" or "stunning" by any means, but I have to say, a lot of the personality traits of the Type 4 describe me in a way that the flighty, airhead Type 1 did not.  Even the Type 4 purse rings true: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNJKhccUd_Y

This Type 4woman convinced me I was also Type 4 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32zFQDuqdVM&feature=related and here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMuaOw-dh1c&feature=related 

edited to add a couple of video links.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:39:37 AM by marie-louise »

Offline kathyann

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 10:28:20 AM »
I enjoyed the Meyers-Briggs link! I'm an INFP. "Morbid and quirky" is their description--the "morbid" part doesn't fit me very well, and I don't wear much of black, but the rest of it is spot on.

Offline Lisanne

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 10:34:26 AM »
Many thanks for that fun resource Marie-Louise, which I hadn't found.  And well done for getting your Type sorted out  ;D

If anyone wants to use You Tube for more information about any of the Dressing Your Truth types, search :
Carol Type [then the number]

I've just looked at the Type 2 purse video - didn't realise other people don't keep Kleenex everywhere, and specially chosen soft ones too  ;D   And I keep everything in ziploc bags. . .  And I like a soft fabric purse, never structured heavily interfaced ones.

I'm surprised to find it easier to 'release' some of my fabric and pattern stashes, now I'm pretty sure I'm not going to change my mind again dramatically about what my style is  ;D

Another odd claim by CT about uniqueness - she says DYT is the only place where women gather together to tell each other they look marvellous.  She's obviously never visited Stitchers Guild, Pattern Review, Burda Style. . .  Aren't sewers lovely people  ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:23:47 PM by Lisanne »

Sewingplums

Offline marie-louise

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »
... And at first I thought this system told me to change completely (all those ladies of my Type wafting around in violet ruffles. . .).  But now I've worked out how to continue to wear my favourite range of colours, and just soften my style a bit and wear different accessories, I can see how I 'fit in" and that it's a helpful scheme !  No dramatic changes or fulsome compliments around here, just a useful extension of what I've already been doing.

Same here. Her generic advice for me is to wear clear, saturated, primary colors and and very linear, structured clothes. I'm the only type who she says looks good in black and pure white. Now I have to do the real work and translate what "bold" and "striking" mean to me. I do have a casual, bright yellow raincoat but somehow I don't see a matching wool jacket in my future. I'll need to find the bright, clear colors that work for me.

For fun, I pulled out my old color analysis, done in the late 80's when my skin was more porcelain and my hair was VERY highlighted. You can really see the different directions you can go and still look good. I think that's why I've always been somewhat troubled by color analysis; they tell you that you look good in a lot of colors that I simply don't like.

First, here are what Donna Fujii considered my neutrals. Back in the day, I had a Coach briefcase in that green color-along with a purse, wallet, and everything else they made in that color.

My neutrals by marie_louise2012, on Flickr

In the below photo, the top 2 were considered my best reds, and the lower 2 my best colors to wear to flatter my skin [25+ years ago.] They are similar but different.

My reds by marie_louise2012, on Flickr

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics