Author Topic: Threads Insider  (Read 10901 times)

Offline Janis

• My Blog
Threads Insider
« on: February 23, 2012, 03:05:52 PM »
I received an email this morning about a new thing that Threads is doing.  It's an on line site (subscription) where you can access a video library, magazines, patterns, etc.  Here's a link to the video:

http://www.taunton.com/promotions/Threads_Insider/insider_sneakpeek.html?source=W3355EMN&utm_source=email&utm_medium=emarketing&utm_content=thr_insider_teaser1&utm_campaign=TH_Threads_Insider

Sounds intriguing.
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline vtmartha

Re: Threads Insider
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »
I'd be more intrigued if they gave a hint on the pricing.  ;)  Reading Threads on my iPad would be fine with me.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:45:24 PM »
Interesting but not really what I want, plus I think they are overlooking a large market: the android users.  Just because it works on iPad doesn't mean it will work for Kindle and Nook users.  I asked, back in Dec 2011, if they would have downloadable version of Threads. They told me no but gave me the link to the CD. 

Offline Susan in Tucson

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:25:03 PM »
My impression was that they are putting content behind a subscriber paywall, much like the NY Times. I hope I'm wrong, and that we will still have access to the videos and articles that are currently available.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 01:22:08 AM »

My impression was that they are putting content behind a subscriber paywall, much like the NY Times. I hope I'm wrong, and that we will still have access to the videos and articles that are currently available.
I too hope you are not correct.  Many businesses and individuals have found that they lose their readership when they start erecting paywalls. Right or wrong people expect internet content to be of excellent quality and free.

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 02:16:05 AM »
Our local newspaper, which is owned by Gannett, is making the move to behind a paywall.  We have several free high quality alternative papers so it may be a losing proposition for them.  I always looked at Threads' internet offerings as a 'teaser' to those who have yet to subscribe to the magazine.

Offline Lilibet

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:51:46 AM »
I like the idea of all the magazine content being on line (for a price, no doubt) as an alternative to a paper subscription, but am not sure how much I would actually use it.

I recently succumbed to the Threads Archive DVD, partly because I'm in decluttering mode and want the shelf space for other things.  However, I've barely looked at it so far.  I know it doesn't take long but I'm disinclined to boot up my laptop to look something up, so haven't yet relinquished the paper mags. 

It might be different when I get an ipad.  I'll wait to see what the new model offers (due soon I've heard) before buying one.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 04:55:36 AM »
Lilibet, I'm looking hard for pdf magazine content and have about decided that my best bet is purchasing the previous-year's archives.  DH tell me he runs into the same problems.  A few, but very few, of his magazines have monthly subscriptions.  Those are the ones he likes the best. I think  we're ahead of the trend, waiting for the publishing houses to catch up.

Offline PattiH

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 02:09:34 AM »
My impression from the email is that this is in addition to the regular magazine.  They have given no indication that they are stopping their paper subscriptions.  I know a lot of people are getting rid of their paper magazines in favor of the DVD set, but while I would like the DVDs I will not be getting rid of my magazines.  There are just some times that I want to hold paper in my hands and then there are other times I want to read it electronically. 

The other thing it sounds like with the Insider is that all the videos are going to be available to subscribers, as well as all the magazines.  If I can get the Threads videos such as the ones from Louise Cutting or any of the others, plus get access to all the magazines for the price of the subscription, it might be something that I will be interested in.  It just depends on what they are really going to be offering as to whether or not I will sign up.

PattiH

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 04:26:16 PM »
My initial impression was the same as yours, Patti.   I thought they were offering magazines AND all the videos online.  That works for me since I have no more storage space in my townhouse.  Of course, it all depends on the cost.  The devil is in the details ;).
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog

Offline Meredith P

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »
A few months ago, I took an online survey about content and how I'd like to get it.  I knew something was up.

Obviously, I can't decide until we know more, but this doesn't seem to be a very good idea to me, and I'm the "techiest" person I know.  I'm already paying twice: one for the magazine and once for the Archives (I do like the convenience).  Not so sure that I'd subscribe to something else too.
Meredith
SM: Bernina 730E, Bernina 1530, Bernina 930, Featherweight 221 circa 1946; Other: Bernette 334DS (serger), Babylock Coverstitch.

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 07:46:19 PM »
I took the same survey. I get surveys from them about every 2 months; I'm on some kind of power user list of theirs - maybe length of subscription or something.

I've commented 3 times, I think, that print subscribers should be able to add an annual update to the electronic archive for a small addition to the subscription, like $5. I bought the Archive DVD the first time but another $40/year plus the print sub is too much money when I've already bought the content once.

I'd opt for electronic delivery only if it were available. I've told them that too.

I didn't listen to the video about the new Insider thing. I'll wait until some kind of pricing and more details are available.

Offline PattiH

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 07:46:50 PM »
I really hope the price is 'reasonable'.  I don't have all the videos or the archives, so if the price is okay then I will go for it.  I like the idea of being able to go online - wherever I am - login and look at the content on Threads website.

PattiH

Offline annenet

• Lighthouse fanatic and avid climber
    • Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 11:05:32 PM »
According to the comments the price will be $12.95 a year for subscribers - $40 more for non subscribers. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Too many ideas, not enough time.

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

Offline PattiH

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 11:31:54 PM »
Oh, I hope you are right!  That would be very affordable.

PattiH

Offline Weezie17

• Courage is found in unlikely places. --Tolkien
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 12:02:10 AM »
I hope they are launching new content to go with this "paywall" and not just moving their existing content behind it.

The previous company I worked for tried to establish a pay for content/product several times and never succeeded. From a marketing perspective it is a very difficult change to make. You have to "convince" your customers that they should pay for something they previously received for free. Not something that is easy to do at the best of times, far more difficult in these economic times.

There are so many free bloggers and other online sources for info on sewing that I wonder what the market will be? Sewing is a niche market which helps greatly.

The New York Times model is unique and has been studied extensively and not often successfully duplicated.

Having been a central part of 3 separate marketing campaigns to launch a similar product (in a different target market), when I received the email from Threads my first thought was "what are they going to offer that i am not currently receiving"?

I'll be watching for more info. I am very curious.

Offline Susan in Saint John

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 12:34:43 AM »
Lilibet, I'm looking hard for pdf magazine content and have about decided that my best bet is purchasing the previous-year's archives.  DH tell me he runs into the same problems.  A few, but very few, of his magazines have monthly subscriptions.  Those are the ones he likes the best. I think  we're ahead of the trend, waiting for the publishing houses to catch up.

I believe that Interweave has pdf subscriptions http://interweave.com/Magazines/  They are called digital editions.  They also publish some "magazines" which are only available as digital editions.  These typically have links to video content embedded in the articles.  They only have 1 sewing magazine, "Stitch" which I don't find especially useful.  It seems to be geared to someone learning to sew and then to those things which might be described as "modern" style.  It usually contains a few garments, some accessories, some home dec items and perhaps some quilt items.

Offline annenet

• Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 07:32:11 PM »
Actually I just read it's going to be $20 more for non subscribers. I'm still probably going to go for it. If there are videos involved it would be worth it.

Offline PattiH

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 11:35:46 PM »
I am really hoping that the Insider Tips videos, Fitting videos, etc. are included in the subscription.  That alone would make it worth the price of the subscription.

Hmm ... just re-read the article.  The videos are included.  I can hardly wait!

PattiH

Offline tcsewhat

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 02:11:57 AM »
I got the Threads archive when they reduced the price to $99.  But it was frustrating because they didn't have any to ship at the time of the sale.  I had to wait 4 weeks to get it.  I have gotten rid of my magazines because I want the storage space for more fabric!  I will keep the paper subscription and keep those until the update comes out.  But if I have already paid for the paper magazines, I should not have to pay a lot for a year DVD. 

I expect on-line content that I pay for to be super special.  if it is what I have already seen somewhere else, it is not worth it to me.  I do like Threads content as many other sewing mags are too beginner or simple.  But I don't like having to pay for something i have gotten for free before.  It was also disappointing when they cut back on publishing sewing books.  They have not done a new one in years.  Surely there are sewing authors out there with content.

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 03:44:40 AM »
At $12.95 for a yearly subscription since I'm already a Threads subscriber, I'm in...and the fact that I can see issues on my iPad really makes me happy.
As for the Threads archive, I bought the first one because I wanted to access the older Threads issues that I didn't already own and since I have no desire to relinquish my paper copies, I haven't bother to upgrade the archive. 
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline pdiddly

• P's Sewing Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 08:58:49 AM »
Patti, I got the insider Tips videos, Fitting videos etc as part of a Christmas gift this year and they are really good.  I have been using the archive CD's on my ipad for ages now (got the latest update for Christmas which includes all the 2011) and love dipping in and out of them, especially when I travel, but I still like my hard copy that comes through the letter box too.
Pauline

I work full time in a busy job that often takes me around the world - in my spare time love to sew and enjoy exchanging ideas with like-minded people see my blog
http://psewing.blogspot.com/

Offline PattiH

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »
I just wish they would finish it already.  Posting a teaser and then making us wait!  Pox on them!   ;D  Seriously, though, I can hardly wait for them to allow signups. 

I just hope that the format for the videos is one that plays on the iPad.  I am running across that problem with some stuff I have to watch for school.  Since the iPad doesn't do Adobe Flash or Java, I have to watch them on my computer.  It is very frustrating, since it is so much more convenient to sit in a comfy chair (or bed) to read homework and watch videos.   :)

Duh!  It just dawned on me, Pauline, that you just said that you are already watching them.  Yeah!

PattiH

Offline annenet

• Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 06:17:38 PM »
Signups are on! I signed on and they are giving a two week trial period to see if you like it. So far I do! I like the fact the videos are there. I have some of them but this is great for when I'm at my weekend house!

Offline Ann C

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 08:55:07 AM »
I just signed up too!  So far it looks like a real winner for me!  More reading/watching videos and the free download of Sandra Betzina's Sewing Savvy really works for me.  I've already watched the whole couture sewning video from Claire Shaeffer - looks like some practicing hand stitches.  I really love handwork, so this is right down my alley!!  Love it!! :purple: :pinkpom:

Offline Meredith P

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 02:30:51 PM »
When you signed up, did they verify that you are already a magazine subscriber?  Since I am one, I would be annoyed if non-subscribers can get that reduced price.  I have to admit, it's a lot more reasonable than I expected...for existing subscribers.

Just curious how they verified... ;D
Meredith
SM: Bernina 730E, Bernina 1530, Bernina 930, Featherweight 221 circa 1946; Other: Bernette 334DS (serger), Babylock Coverstitch.

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 02:54:56 PM »
I signed up for the free trial.  I watched the shoulder slope video and I'm hooked!  This is going to be a wonderful resource!

Meredith, If you sign up for the free trial, you have to sign in.  There is an option for signing up with or without a subscription.  If you have a subscription, they already know it, so you can't select that (it's already been selected, in other words).  If you have a subscription, it's only 12.95 for the first year.  They'll probably up the price after the first year because it's called an "introductory offer".

My Blog

Offline Meredith P

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 03:07:38 PM »
Ha, Janis, You answered the question I forgot to ask...about the introductory price.  ;)

I have to admit, I'm an online content curmudgeon.  When they decide they aren't doing this anymore, what happens to the content?  I'd much rather have stuff I can download (including videos).  That's why they make big hard drives, right?  :D

I've looked without success for a place on the Threads/Taunton web site to ask questions--so far, haven't found anything.

Meredith

Offline PattiH

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 06:40:34 PM »
Well, I have to admit, I love information, but don't always trust online content to always be available.  Eventually, I will be buying the videos, etc., that are on the Threads website, but for when I am not home (or just being lazy) the online content will be great.

On the other hand, Threads has been around for a long time and don't expect them to go away anytime soon.  Especially since they are adding online content.

PattiH

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 07:50:37 PM »
I'm very happy because Threads is hard to get here AND because I absolutely LOVE the magazines I have on my iPad.  IPad and magazines are perfect partners.  I can't wait!
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 11:21:07 PM »
I'm still happy I signed up for the free trial, but I just want to say that I'm not sure the videos are the same as the ones that were for sale.  Maybe someone who has seen those videos could tell us.

My Blog

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 02:36:26 AM »
I signed up for the insider too...and have already watched one of the fitting videos on arms.  I agree that this is a great bargain and anything that I can read on my iPad works for me!  If Threads is moving into online content, I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon.
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline Ann C

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 10:46:45 AM »
I figured for $12.95, I'd bite!  I have really liked what I've seen so far.   I don't think the price is too high given that it is for a year and I figure I'll get my money's worth.  I've never used the Threads site very much, so I don't know if any of it has been on the site previously. 

I've watched the Claire Shaeffer bit on couture hand stitches and the Louise Cutting videos on techniques.  I don't remember seeing them before, but I could be wrong.

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 01:40:34 AM »
Hmm, this sounds likes what Taunton Press is already doing with Fine Homebuilding and Fine Woodworking.  A subscription to the Fine Homebuilding online forum is $19.95 and you have access to the entire magazine archive (30+ years), the chat rooms, videos and forums.  Haven't used mine at all lately but every time I'm stumped with a problem with our rentals that's the first place I check.  It might be worth it to subscribe to the Threads Insider. By the time Taunton Press folds and goes under I will probably be under the sod myself.

Two years ago you couldn't have gotten me to part with any of my paper magazines, now I'm not so sure I want to keep them all.  Bookman's, our used bookstore chain, used to take any Taunton Press magazines in as trade.  Went in last week with duplicate Threads and they took none of them.

Offline MandySA

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 06:58:06 AM »
Thanks for that info, Theresa.  One point of clarity:  if I understand you correctly membership of Fine Building gives you access to the whole Fine Building magazine archive (and presumably any extra on-line content) and if Threads Insider eventually goes the same way their currently-$99-disc becomes redundant?

Slightly off-topic does one require internet connectivity to use the Threads archive disc, or does it "stand alone".

Just to mention that watching videos on line where I live usually involves an incredibly frustrating wait while that infernal loading thing goes round-and-round (and round-and-round-and-round) before the speaker manages to spit out a few words, or a few syllables of one word, and the whole process starts again.  >:D  BUT with the videos I have watched as a Threads Insider play 99% smoothly with no interruptions.  Hats-off to them  :applause2: 

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics