• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
July 21, 2019, 07:25:28 pm

News:

The gallery still isn't working right now.  I'm working on it.

Melinda's Silk Inspired SWAP

Started by Melinda_B, November 03, 2018, 07:01:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Melinda_B

I've had this fabric in stash for over a year.  It's a silk/cotton blend, that was sold for $15 per metre at a designer (Morrisons) clearance sale.  The design actually looks like that, it's not an out of focus photo.  I love the bright colours, the reds, greens, blues, browns, maroon, even the yellow highlights. 

Then I realised that I have two other prints that use some of the same colours, so they fit within the colour scheme - although I'd never wear them together!

This is a rayon, from a custom print group on facebook. 

And this one - it's a much more muted style of fabric, and brings in the maroons, browns and the other colours in the Inspiration piece that are actually the colours formed between the bright colours.  I love this Magnolia fabric.  It is also a rayon.

So with the chosen Inspiration print, I've got a broad range of colours that I can choose as my neutrals and contrasts.  At this point, I think I'll be going with grey and navy for the neutrals, but will also try and bring in some other solid colours as well, maroon, green, blues, red, etc.  The trick is going to be making it cohesive.

I may or may not use the Inspiration fabric in the SWAP, I'll probably decide that when I look at what garments to make from what.  It would make a good wildcard as a dress though.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Melinda_B

Adding a copy of the rules here so I can find them easily whilst travelling and without my bookmarks:

2019 Seasonal Designer Collection II SWAP Rules

You are still the Designer. Create a cohesive seasonal collection of eleven garments of your choice.

Plan:
Choose an inspiration piece of your choice --  Could be a scarf, artwork, fabric print, photograph, etc
Choose two neutrals that coordinate with your inspiration piece
Add 1-5 accents and/or prints that will work with your inspiration piece (ie: not clash)
Make 9 garments that form your core
You must create multiple outfits using at least two core garment items that work for your personal style
Make 2 wild card pieces that can be worn alone or with other core items or with other wardrobe items
Wild card pieces should still blend in with inspiration piece
Combining fabrics is fine
No restrictions on type of garments

Rules
Sewing begins on 26 December 2018 and ends 30 April 2019
One garment may be completed by today (28 October 2018)
One garment may be started on 29 October 2018 and completed prior to 26 December 2018
One RTW garment may be included (it can be existing or purchased at any time before or during the SWAP)
Garments knitted, crocheted or woven by you may be included (limit of two since we are a sewing site)
Garments such as poncho, cape or wrap must include at least two pattern pieces, be one of your knitted, crocheted or woven items or have stitch work done by you to be considered a garment
Neutrals do not need to be the same fabrics
Neutrals may be textured
Note that accents fabric must be the same (so not two different fabrics of the same accent color)
You will need a photo of your inspiration piece
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Melinda_B

Here is my rough plan, although I expect to change it as I go. 

I've got two long term projects in here, the Kylie top which is smocked, and an AC top which is appliqued.  However I'm likely to be having surgery on both legs shortly, so will be laid up for about two weeks or more.  The plan is to have them ready to go so I can work on them during my convalescence.

Melinda

Perth, Australia

Melinda_B

The AC top has been started while I'm on bedrest.  It's actually a dark navy on charcoal, with gold stencilling and brown stitching.

Melinda

Perth, Australia