Author Topic: Very Bad News  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Bunny

• La Sewist
Very Bad News
« on: February 07, 2012, 03:26:04 AM »
Australian Smocking and Embroidery will cease publication with its one hundredth issue. This is a sad loss to the heirloom sewing community and a void that won't be filled. The extremely high quality of the projects, patterns, instructions, and photography has made this magazine very unique in a niche of unique magazines.

I guess the only one left will be Sew Beautiful. I worry for that one as well as Martha is aging, albeit very well, but changes have already begun with the editorial sharing , Hoffman purchase, etc.

I really hate to see the demise of AS & E.

Offline jodiwell

• My Blog
Re: Very Bad News
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:30:39 AM »
oh NO Bunny! That is Terrible News! I was very sad when Susan O'Connor left the staff but I thought it was still a vibrant, creative publication. Is Inspirations ceasing as well?

jodi

Offline Mardella

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:58:17 AM »
 :( Another one bites the dust.......Where did you hear about it, Bunny?   I just got a renewal notice from the Wooly Thread.   Could it be they haven't been told yet?   
Mardella

Offline Bunny

• La Sewist
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 02:43:06 PM »
Last night Karen Faylor Company, who distributes it, notified her customers. I understand that this morning Country Bumpkin has sent an email out to its distributers so maybe Jan is not saying anything yet or didn't check her email.

My understanding at this point is that Inspirations will continue. I wonder if they will add any smocking or heirloom garments once this happens. I will let you know if I hear more. There isn't anything on their FB page yet.

This is such a loss.

ETA: My designer friend, Sara Norris of Sara Norris, LTD, was told by a distributor. Karen Faylor also confimed it to her as well.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:07:08 PM by Bunny »

Offline Bunny

• La Sewist
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 03:13:29 PM »
This is from their FB page:

"Hi Girls, this news is indeed correct. Somehow it has been leaked before subscribers have received their letters. No one will be out of pocket, we have plans in place for everybody to be compensated. When Susan was at Saga we had no idea that this would happen. Our other publications Inspirations and Books will continue as per normal, it is only AS& E that is effected.
10 hours ago · Like"

And I just got this from The Wooly Thread blog:" Here's the information we received from Country Bumpkin yesterday:

After careful consideration Country Bumpkin Publications has made the extremely difficult decision to discontinue publishing Australian Smocking & Embroidery magazine. The final issue of this publication will be issue 100 which is due for release on the 29th August 2012.

Issue 100 will be a collectors issue with ‘best of’ articles, a history of Country Bumpkin and articles from both Susan O’Connor and Margie Bauer, Country Bumpkin’s original founder.

No on subscribing through us will lose any money paid for her subscription. If you have a current sub and want to renew, so you can get this final issue, it will run through the final issue #100 and the price will be adjusted accordingly. If you already have a subscription which extends past issue 100, you will be refunded for any issues not sent.

If you want this special final issue and don't have a subscription, please let us know as soon as you can, so we try to get one for everyone who wants it.

If you have any questions, just let us know.
We greatly appreciate the 'heads up' from Country Bumpkin with 3 issues still left before ceasing publication.
Posted by The Wooly Thread at 8:02 AM"
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:32:31 PM by Bunny »

Offline Mardella

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 08:16:10 PM »
It's a sad thing indeed.   I will have to call Jan and renew so that I can get the final issue.   I am really glad that I have kept all my issues.  I don't know of any other magazine that provides the smocking plates as well as the patterns for garments.   All the others require you to buy a pattern, wait for it to come and all that.  Oldest dgd has outgrown smocking but the younger two are still really pleased with wearing it.   I still miss Creative Needle.   Hope we don't lose any more of the sewing magazines.   I think magazines and newspapers in general are having problems.  The economy has people cutting spending where they can and the advent of e-books and magazines has taken a cut also.  Thanks for the heads up.   I saw Jan's blog post this morning.   
Mardella

Offline Susan Claire

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 03:47:03 AM »
I love AS& E even though I don't smock much.  I also love their A to Z books, will those still be available?

Offline LesleyBW

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 10:09:23 PM »
AS&E has been part of my life since 1992 ( I am in Australia). Felt very sad when I got the email last week. I have all the issues from #9 ( the early ones picked up in second hand bookshops and also ordering back issues from Country Bumpkin).  The writing was on the wall when they stopped selling at newsagents last year.  My very favourite issues were #19, #21, #24 and the rarest  & most desirable one....for me anyway........#15 which sold out and  unavailable for back order within a year or two of release.  I found it in a second hand bookshop for a minimal price about 10 years ago.  It was like winning the lottery. I will sell it on ebay if times get tough!  Also, I really miss Creative Needle too...that was such a lovely magazine.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics