• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.

March 20, 2019, 09:22:13 am

News:

Remember: to view and/or participate in The Fray you must join the group.  Click on your name in the upper left, then choose "group membership" from the links on the popup.  Find "The Fray Sewing Competition" and click "Join Group".

Warpjr1965 Start with a coat SWAP (comments in Discussion Thread)

Started by warpjr1965, October 30, 2018, 07:47:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warpjr1965

I've had a harder time than I thought on this. I originally planned on using a scarf, but the color palette was too limited. I looked through some photos for inspiration, but I need to work mainly from stash, as usual, and none of them were quite right. Then I started looking through the fabric stash.

I think I have picked out an inspiration piece. This fabric (the top one):

IMG_1290 by wendyr, on Flickr

May be destined to become a fall coat, or long vest.  There are a lot of background colors to choose from, which should make pulling something cohesive together relatively easy, I hope. The purple below it may also become part of SWAP, unless it lands in CCL's dress challenge first. :)  I'll have to play around in the coming weeks to see what I have that would work. We'll see. Have made no specific plans yet.
Wendy

warpjr1965

Notes for myself:
I have firmed up the black wool as the base/inspiration for SWAP.
The purple  will do double duty as a Dress for CCL's challenge, and should be able to make an appearance for SWAP as well.
I've bought a lovely pink ponte from JoAnn Fabrics, which will likely become a pair of pants.

That's all I've got. I don't think I'll get through this SWAP without purchasing more fabric, we'll see.
Wendy

warpjr1965

Well, I should have named my SWAP "start with a dress" cause that is what i made first, rather than the coat.

No Pics yet, as the dress is part of CCLs challenge. I am pretty sure it will land here too. I've used a purple rayon jersey and finished up a dress I've had my eye on for a while: NL 6525, the cowl version with the ruffle hem. The jersey is so swingy that I've left the hem raw, I didn't want anything weighing it down.
Wendy

warpjr1965

Here is a picture of the first item, a wrap using KS 4031 and the inspiration fabric. Like Ruthie, I think this is destined to be a wildcard.

K4031_02 by wendyr, on Flickr

K4031_06 by wendyr, on Flickr

I should be able to cut the fashion fabric today.
Wendy

warpjr1965

All right, this will be my Plan post for this SWAP. I'll be editing as I go along.

Black wool Wrap
  • Wild card item/inspiration item

Pink
  • Jacket
  • Lace Tshirt
  • Pull on pants likely Jalie eleonore, SA barbs, or SA Elle

Blue
  • Sweater vest own design
  • Woven shirt
  • Wanderlust T DONE
  • Plantain T DONE
  • Swing T DONE/li]
    • Cropped jeans Burda

Ivory
    • Jalie 2805 NEARLY DONE
    • Raglan T
    • Cowl swing T LN 6525

Black
    • Jalie jeans
    • Cardigan
    • RTW tee shirt/li]
    Purple
    • dress
    • skirt
    • jacket.

Print
    • Floral print: T-shirt

Too many items, but I have choices here. I'll start with shirts after the wrap is done, but if I want to make a jacket i can't leave it too late!  The pants have to wait as I plan to lose a few pounds first, famous last words.
Wendy

warpjr1965

OK, the Wrap needs snaps.

I've started on the Blue Items, but instead of making anything I've listed I made two Knit T-shirts instead. They are still blue though. :)

I did manage to get a white Jalie 2805 Tshirt cut out as planned.
Wendy

warpjr1965

A week later and I'm stalled. A cold has knocked me down.  I've looked at the plan above and I still like it. Hoping to finish the tops that I've already started, and get going on the Pink Eleanores. I'll have to grade them out, or perhaps really I need to re-print and tape the PDF, ugh. I'll try on the last pair I made first, before I cut either paper or fabric. I think the Pink ponte has more stretch than the last pair I made out of stretch denim, so that will make a difference.

ETA: Maybe I'll sew up the SA Barbs instead? Haven't made them in a few years, but they are more forgiving than either the Elles or the Jalie Eleonores. Hmm.
Wendy

warpjr1965

OOH! Just realized that maybe I could do a color blocked T with remnants from the blue rayon and the ivory rayon. Plans may need to change!!
Wendy