Author Topic: Canadian Chat  (Read 82070 times)

Offline Myrna

• Myrna Giesbrecht
Re: Canadian Chat
« Reply #420 on: July 20, 2010, 12:51:05 AM »
Regarding Fabricland.  I have been sewing a very long time and have done business with Fabricland for over 40 years.  I have a few little paper hints from long ago that state the business was located in Kelowna. 

Head office was in Kelowna. I've never heard that the business was sold. That's interesting. I worked at the one here in Kamloops about 28 years ago. Not much has changed so I don't think it's a matter of the new or the old management although it would be lovely if things were going in new directions now. 

- Myrna

Offline stitch6

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #421 on: January 05, 2011, 07:13:33 PM »
Canadian sewer in Ottawa- just checking in.

How were your holidays? We have almost no snow left.

I've copied the links here and will check them out, but still looking for less expensive findings and fabric for bras.

Offline Elaine G.

« Reply #422 on: January 05, 2011, 07:36:17 PM »
I moved from Calgary 7 years ago to just north of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island - a MUCH smaller centre. I thought I would be going to a fabric/sewing wasteland, but I was so wrong. Quilters are abundant in the area, but that is not my main interest. It took a while, but I have now found many creative sewers, and we are fortunate to have one of our local quilting stores cater to those of us who are garment sewing (thank you Kathy!). She not only brings in a selection of good quality fashion fabric, but also some great teachers on a regular basis - Ron Collins, Sandra Betzina, Jan Bones, etc. Calgary, now over 1 million on population has lost most of their independent fashion fabric stores, so I feel very lucky to be where I am!

Offline Ann

« Reply #423 on: January 05, 2011, 09:20:52 PM »
The Snip and Stitch rocks. Did 3 days with Ron Collins in September and loved, loved, loved it. Want to go again this Sept.

Ann
Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Education is a journey, not a race.

Ann's Blogs
http://everythingsewing.blogspot.com/

Offline Robin K

• http://sewingsolo.blogspot.com
« Reply #424 on: January 05, 2011, 10:50:06 PM »
Elaine, I moved to Victoria from Calgary a good 15 or so years ago.  It took me years to get used to living on the west coast but I love it.

Anne -- Ron Collins seems to come to Sawyers Sewing Centre at least once a year and he'll be at the sewing show in March (or is it April this year?).  We've never had Sandra Betzina come to town and every time I see that she's in Nanaimo  I try to organize myself to take her class -- so far no luck.  Is Jan Bone the lady who does the lingerie patterns?

Robin K

Offline Yvonne samas

• Yvonne S
« Reply #425 on: January 05, 2011, 11:10:03 PM »
It's been a long time since there was any activity on here. I'm in Thunder Bay ON  and we have a fair bit of snow. In fact, it has been snowing most od today but has stopped now. Just a nice light snow.  I'm a quilter; haven't done any garment sewing for many years except for a couple of vests and quilted jackets. I'm taking a vest class Jan.15 here, being taught by a member of our local guild.

Good to 'see' you all here.

Yvonne

Offline Elaine G.

« Reply #426 on: January 05, 2011, 11:24:12 PM »
Yes Robin, Jan Bones is the lady who teaches lingerie classes, but is also doing some pattern drafting classes. Ron comes to Nanaimo about 6 times/year. Sandra is coming again at the end of April and she & Ron teach together. The newsletter from Snip & Stitch in Nanaimo (NAYY) gives details of all - this is the link to the current one. http://www.snipandstitch.com/newsletter/WinterWarmUp2011.pdf
I hope the link works - or I shall be off to practice in the Sandbox as I am pretty new to posting.

Offline Ann

« Reply #427 on: January 06, 2011, 12:52:46 AM »
I don't live in Naniamo, I live west of Kamloops. My first experience with Ron was in Sept as I had lived in Dawson Creek for 12 years.

I enjoyed Ron's class as it has a small number of participants in a small space (but we survived). You get a lot of help in that kind of an environment.

I do garment sewing, quilting, machine embroidery. I love doing all the things I do as it keeps my brain active. I am also a literacy coordinator for our area and love that job. I just retired from teaching and being a principal so wasn't ready to stop working. Great fill in job.

Ann
Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Ann's Blogs

Offline shinygreenpenny

• Island Couture
« Reply #428 on: January 06, 2011, 01:06:54 AM »
Checking in from Northern Ontario - lots of quilters around here, but very few garment sewists around that I can find.  I'm always looking for hints on the best places to order online without excessive shipping - thanks for the list!

Offline Stephie

« Reply #429 on: January 06, 2011, 01:51:05 AM »

Is anyone watching the juniors play hockey? They are 3-0 near the end of the second period.Gold medal round.

Offline Robin K

« Reply #430 on: January 06, 2011, 02:09:27 AM »
I'm not much of a hockey fan Stephanie but I've been catching bits and pieces of the action -- I'm hopelessly uninformed about the rules of the game, etc. but I'm still rooting for the Canadians -- what is it with Canadians and hockey.....

Elaine, thanks for the info re Jan Bones -- I caught one of her short seminars at the Victoria sewing show a couple of years ago and probably have one of her patterns floating around here somewhere.  I just received this year's show brochure and she's one of the participants along with Ron Collins and Kathryn Brennan.  Patrice Godard is doing a corset seminar and a bias seminar and I think I'll sign up for those.  I don't know if any of you go to the sewing show but after last year's show I pretty much decided not to bother going again -- there is so much emphasis on quilting that garment sewing gets lost in the shuffle.  Can't resist the Patrice Godard seminars though!

Offline Ann

« Reply #431 on: January 06, 2011, 02:37:00 AM »
Hockey is tied 3-3 right now. Canada keep your focus and win!!!!!!

I would love to attend some different workshops but I refuse to travel in the winter. I drove the northern BC roads in the winter for years and put up with ice, snow, wind, blizzards, drifting snow, and oil patch drivers. I need to say no more.

Ann

Ann's Blogs

Offline JenSA

• Jen's Pots & Pins
« Reply #432 on: January 06, 2011, 02:49:27 AM »
It's getting tight....4-3 to Russia with 2:00 to go.

Offline Yvonne samas

• Yvonne S
« Reply #433 on: January 06, 2011, 03:01:45 AM »
Russia just won. What an upset for the Canadian team. My DGD's boyfriend , his dad, brother and some other friends went there for the tournament. I think they come home tomorrow so we'll hear all about it I'm sure.

Offline Ann

« Reply #434 on: January 06, 2011, 03:33:30 AM »
Too bad about the Canadian Jr. Team. They played well but lost their focus in the 3rd period.

Ann's Blogs

Offline tazzieM

« Reply #435 on: January 06, 2011, 05:27:56 PM »
Welcome iemat ... from a sewer about 2 hours south of you!  We're getting some snow here and ground is white again.

Offline Ann

« Reply #436 on: January 07, 2011, 12:48:57 AM »
We had about 3" of snow fall today in our area of BC. It is nice and white but the roads did need plowing. Temps are around 0C. We are suppose to have more snow for a couple more days then 2 days sunshine.

Ann's Blogs

Offline Robin K

« Reply #437 on: January 09, 2011, 10:13:06 PM »
That's a lot of snow Ann! Snow in Victoria is rare thank goodness.  We just have to contend with the nonstop rain and gloomy days.  No complaints today -- the sun is shining and it's reasonably warm.  I've been working on three stretch satin and chiffon retro style dresses and thinking about all of the beautiful satin rodeo queen dresses you make Ann.  Satin isn't a fabric I've had a lot of experience with -- given a choice I would choose wool or linen -- and it is really trying my patience.  I'm having a terrible time avoiding wrinkling at  a 45 degree angle pin tuck.  Now if it was wool or linen I would probably be able to press it out.

Robin k

Offline Ann

« Reply #438 on: January 09, 2011, 10:53:54 PM »
Three inches of snow is nothing compared to what would fall up in the Dawson Creek area. I would find the rain depressing (well I did when I went to U. Vic years ago). Everything is so gray.

Satin is a pain to sew as you have to watch pressing the seams. I do mine over a sausage or put paper between the fabric and the seam allowance so it won't show. Wrinkling on those angles is a pain. I usually pin it smoothly to a ham, put my silk organza cloth over it, hot the iron about 3" above that and give it a shot of steam. Cool, remove pins, and give another shot of steam with the iron 3" above and it looks way better.

Am still working on the pink sating dress. Am putting on crystals and am waiting for DD to come over to help me. Then it is the bottom hem and done. I will probably bag the hem on the dress and put a scallopped edge onto the godet. Hopefully pictures soon.

Ann

Ann's Blogs

Offline Robin K

« Reply #439 on: January 10, 2011, 12:18:07 AM »
Sounds beautiful Ann- I will look forward to the pictures.  I was contemplating using the bagged hem technique to avoid obvious needle marks -- glad to hear an expert uses that technique!  I have come to the conclusion that I'm never going to get those corners perfect so I'm going to do some strategically placed beading to cover it up.  These dresses are based on a vintage 1929 evening gown so the beading will be appropriate.

Offline Ann

« Reply #440 on: January 10, 2011, 12:43:36 AM »
Your dress sounds exciting and I can't wait to see it.

Ann

Ann's Blogs

Offline judith

« Reply #441 on: January 13, 2011, 02:08:24 AM »
Yahoo, we just bought 2 tickets to next year's world jr hockey in Calgary. Our daughter had a reservation to go on line to ticketmaster today, but she couldn't afford tickets so gave it to us. We were able to get decent seats, too. We will spend Christmas with family and grandchildren in Calgary, and hockey starts boxing day. I'm not a huge hockey fan, but this was too good an opportunity to pass up. This is exciting!
Most people are as happy as they allow themselves to be. (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Yvonne samas

• Yvonne S
« Reply #442 on: January 13, 2011, 04:15:54 AM »
Good for you Judith. I'm not a huge hockey fan but as you said   that was too good an opportunity to pass up.  I think I would have done the same thing.

Offline Stephie

« Reply #443 on: April 02, 2011, 06:54:20 PM »

Just checking in to whine. We have had about 8-10 inches of snow since last night and no sign of it stopping! Could someone please bring on Spring!!

Offline Yvonne samas

• Yvonne S
« Reply #444 on: April 02, 2011, 07:08:26 PM »
Where in Alberta are you? I have a son in Calgary but haven't spoken to him for a while. I expect I'll hear from him this weekend, expecially if they are getting that same snow. Here in Thunder Bay most of the snow in the city is gone except for a few huge piles in parking lots that now look like dirty mountains. Outside the city there is still quite a bit of snow. The harbour here is opening up and ships have been moving, both coming in and going out. I have the perfect view from my condo windows over the harbour and enjoy watching the ships moving about.
It's nice to see some activity on this site.
Yvonne

Offline Pipsy

• Ulysses July 2 2011
« Reply #445 on: April 02, 2011, 09:02:07 PM »
Here in Prince George we still have dirty piles of snow and a lot of land covered with snow, but it is melting amazingly quickly.  I love spring and fall, but do hate the dirtyness when the snow starts to go.  All that sand and stuff we put down when icy shows just how much was used during the winter.  I haven't done anything different to my hanging indoor plants, but the longer days and sunshine are really stimulating new growth.  I will have to start to prune some down soon.

Hope everyone is coming out of hibernation and becoming invigorated.  The sensation of spring is almost worth having the long winters we have  :smug:

Off to Vancouver this coming week.  Hope I haven't missed all the blossom trees.

Yvonne - I am totally jealous of you being able to see the water and boats from your condo!
If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
My soul is fed by my needle and thread.

Offline JenSA

• Jen's Pots & Pins
« Reply #446 on: April 05, 2011, 02:33:43 AM »
Hi Yvonne....I just checked this thead to see if there was anyone from Thunder bay and there you were.
We're moving there in August. We're in Windsor ON now and I'm just starting to check out real estate listings etc. Thunder bay looks like a lovely place, my hubbie lived there many years ago and we're excited to make the move. I've really missed forests and mountains since moving to Windsor so it'll be great to get back to nice hiking spots again.

Jen

Offline Yvonne samas

• Yvonne S
« Reply #447 on: April 05, 2011, 02:45:14 AM »
Hi Jen
What sort of house are you looking for? I'm living in a condo now since I was widowed in 2007 and sold my house outside of town and moved back into the city. I've lived here pretty well all my life and don't think I'd enjoy  living anywhere else. The real estate agent I used to buy this and sell my house was very good and I would recommend him. I have no connection to him other than the fact that I was satisfied.
I think you will like it here.

Offline Robin K

« Reply #448 on: April 05, 2011, 04:05:56 PM »
Here in Prince George we still have dirty piles of snow and a lot of land covered with snow, but it is melting amazingly quickly.  I love spring and fall, but do hate the dirtyness when the snow starts to go.  All that sand and stuff we put down when icy shows just how much was used during the winter.  I haven't done anything different to my hanging indoor plants, but the longer days and sunshine are really stimulating new growth.  I will have to start to prune some down soon.

Hope everyone is coming out of hibernation and becoming invigorated.  The sensation of spring is almost worth having the long winters we have  :smug:

Off to Vancouver this coming week.  Hope I haven't missed all the blossom trees.

Yvonne - I am totally jealous of you being able to see the water and boats from your condo!

Not to worry Pipsy you haven't missed the blossom trees.  On some streets in Victoria they are in full bloom and on others they are just starting -- I 'm assuming Vancouver is the same as it has been a bit cooler there than here.  Although the  grass is green, the trees are blooming and there are daffies and other bulbs sprouting every where, it is still cold, cold, cold.  Bring a warm coat and an umbrella!

Robin K

Offline Pipsy

• Ulysses July 2 2011
« Reply #449 on: April 06, 2011, 12:14:28 AM »
After taking my snow clearing tools and plug in out of the car yesterday it hasn't stopped snowing!!  I even put my winter boots away.  C'est la vie!
If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
My soul is fed by my needle and thread.

Offline Yvonne samas

• Yvonne S
« Reply #450 on: April 06, 2011, 12:26:50 AM »
I had my winter tires changes to All Weather tires last Thurs. and was thinking about putting my winter boots away. Then Sun it started to snow around 1 PM and continued until Mon. afternoon. It was a very wet snow and hasn't lasted---- at least here in town. We've had a couple of snow showers today but is clear now and +1*C.
There is a large freighter sitting out in the harbour. Ir has been there since Sunday evening. I don't know if it is waiting for a place to dock or why it's there.
I did see a few Snowdrops last Friday next to a southern facing brick wall but haven't even see any Pussy Willows yet. They are usually the first signs of Spring here.  I hope the weather will settle down for the rest of this week since I'm driving to Winnipeg with my DD and DGD on Friday for the weekend. It's about an 8 hour drive from here.

Offline Stephie

« Reply #451 on: April 07, 2011, 01:39:17 AM »

Hi Yvonne, I have been MIA and did not answer you. We live just south west of Calgary. It is going to take us a while to get rid of our snow.
I am coming to thunder Bay the end of the month. Would be nice if it warmed up by then.
Terry

Offline Yvonne samas

• Yvonne S
« Reply #452 on: April 07, 2011, 02:12:14 AM »
Stephie, I don't know if you are a quilter or not, but our guild is having our 30th anniversary show April 29, 30 and May1. I will be working at it Friday afternoon as a 'hostess'. Do you know exactly when you are coming? It would be fun to meet if possible. Let me know.

Offline Ann

« Reply #453 on: April 07, 2011, 03:09:16 AM »
Today was a funny day weather-wise. While in the next community, it snowed and when I got home I could see it still snowing up there and the sun was shining in our village.

Our trees are coming into leaf now (willows and honeysuckle) but it has been cooler than last week. And cloudy too. I hate gray days as it affects me something fierce.

Ann

Ann's Blogs

Offline Stephie

« Reply #454 on: April 07, 2011, 09:16:37 PM »

Hi Yvonne, I just checked my itinerary and I get in Thursday afternoon about 3:00 pm and leave Sunday about 1100 but I am judging a dog show all Fri and Sat so might not work out unless your quilt show goes on late. Hope spring is happening by then!

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics