Author Topic: Canadian Chat  (Read 78688 times)

Offline Stephie

Re: Canadian Chat
« Reply #385 on: January 06, 2009, 03:04:09 AM »
  Nothing to do with sewing but the Canadian boys just won another Junior World Championship (hockey!)

Yay!!

Offline Yvonne samas

• Yvonne S
« Reply #386 on: January 06, 2009, 03:24:21 AM »
Yes, it was a good game

Offline Ann

« Reply #387 on: January 07, 2009, 02:23:29 AM »
We don't watch much hockey but did follow the Canadian boys to their victory. It was a good game and we are thrilled that they won again.

Ann
Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Education is a journey, not a race.

Ann's Blogs
http://everythingsewing.blogspot.com/

Offline judith

« Reply #388 on: January 30, 2009, 10:29:12 PM »
Anyone here from Calgary? We're driving out to visit the grandchildren at Easter, and will be spending a couple of days in downtown Calgary before coming home, staying at the Hyatt which I gather is downtown on the C train. My question: I'd really like to get a decent haircut. My hairdresser here is a lovely gal, but believe it or not my husband and I both seem to have the same haircut at the back - just cut straight across with no style at all. I didn't mind when I wore my hair short and layered, but now it's pretty much one length and it needs a good cut.  Can anyone recommend a good salon downtown? I know, it's really a subjective thing, but if anyone has even heard of a place I'd appreciate hearing about it and promise not to come back with any complaints ;D

Ohhhh - I KNEW I was forgetting something, I'm also trying to find a place in Calgary that will replace a zipper in a leather jacket. Any suggestions?

Most people are as happy as they allow themselves to be. (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Sandi

« Reply #389 on: May 16, 2009, 10:08:09 PM »

Where has efveryone gone?

Offline Ann

« Reply #390 on: May 19, 2009, 03:15:39 AM »
I don't know where everyone is. I have been busy with school and custom sewing plus waiting to see if our house is sold. If it is, we will be moving our stuff to central BC and I will work one more year in the north.

It has snowed this long weekend and we are under a snow warning right now. Tomorrow is to be nasty and I will be donning winter clothes again UGH!!

Ann
Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Ann's Blogs

Offline judith

« Reply #391 on: May 28, 2009, 03:14:12 PM »
Hi Sandi & Ann. It's interesting that the visits to the Canadian chat are over 15000, but there's hardly any participation anymore.

I don't sew much in the summer, but have been fiddling with some ideas for table cloths and runners. I'm having a challenge with some Hatched in Africa designs that came already split for the 5x7 hoop, but for some reason the hatch marks simply do not line up when I print out the designs.

With that exception, there really isn't any activity in my sewing room. But the grass is greening and the May trees are blooming and it sure is nice to be outside.

Offline Anna Mermaid

« Reply #392 on: May 28, 2009, 03:32:30 PM »
I haven''t been a part of this thread, but would like to particpate.

What I am working on now is a Dana Marie pattern - exceptional shirt.  It's been made from a cotton Bali Batik.  I've made this shirt before, so it will be okay (fit wise).

I want to explore using quilting fabrics for clothing and support the companies that design garments especialy for the quilting cottons.  But I want an upscale look to it.  Dana Marie does a nice job of that.

What's everyone else working on?

Anna

Offline Yvonne samas

• Yvonne S
« Reply #393 on: May 29, 2009, 02:17:10 AM »
I haven't been here for quite awhile.  I just finished a tablerunner- it turned out fne. The background is pieced then it has Iris fused on and fastened with a scribble type stitching. I'm pleased with it and it looks very Springy on my table.
I have a couple of quilts sandwiched here ready to be quilted. I may start on one of them tomorrow.

Maybe we can keep this thread going------ it's always nice to hear from different parts of our country.

Offline Anna Mermaid

« Reply #394 on: May 29, 2009, 04:15:19 PM »
I would love to keep this chat going. 

Yvonne where are you located.  What part of Canada?

I grew up in Calgary, but lived in Kitchner Waterloo and Halifax before moving to Victoria.

With the pattern I'm using, I created an extra couple of seams in the front & back as I'm going for the sliced effect (which is on the designers website), sorry no camera, and can't figure out how to do links.  I may have goofed when adding the seam allowances.  Not sure if the shirt is going to fit after all. Discovered this after stitching and serging the back and front seams.  Now the only place I could do ajustments is in the side seams.  And because it's being made from a Bali Batik, the fabric itself has no give.

But, I'll keep going; if it doesn't fit I may give it to someone else.

Anna

Offline Yvonne samas

• Yvonne S
« Reply #395 on: May 29, 2009, 08:39:11 PM »
Hi  Anne
I'm in Thunder Bay ON,  right at the top of Lake Superior.  I know the Kitchener/Waterloo area as my brother lives in Paris ON. Also my youngest brother lived in Dartmouth NS for many years but no longer are there. I have a DGS who is going to Waterloo University in Sept. and may go down with my DD when she drives him down and have a visit in Paris.

I don't do garment sewing anymore except for a couple of vests in the past 8-10 years ----- now it's mainly quilting.

Last Aug. I moved from outside TB into the city--- bought myself a condo right on the lakeshore and sold my house out at a lake in the country. My DH passed away in Aug. 07 after a 3 1/2 year struggle with cancer and I found that everything I wanted to do is in town and the house out there wasn't the same by myself.  So, here I am and I'm enjoying life here.  It is a different life style, and I know he would never have moved to a condo. Our youngest son and family lived next door to us out at the lake, but I couldn't depend on him to do all the things that needed doing in the house and yard. I have 2 DDs here in town as well as 2 sons living out of town. So there is family around and places to visit when I want to go somewhere. One DD and I both quilt and we attend quilt shows and retreats together along with a good group of friends.  We're off to the Minnesota quilt show in June.  It is in Duluth this year- only a 4 hour drive from here with no stops--- but---- there are at least 4 quilt shops before we get there, so we will be making several stops.

Offline judith

« Reply #396 on: June 05, 2009, 04:02:08 PM »
It's so nice to find people wanting to chat here again. I was beginning to wonder if it was something I said  ;D

Sewing-wise, there's not much happening here. I started a table cloth project with designs from Hatched in Africa's "just daisies" set. I had all the positioning lines marked, and thread colours figured out, but the designs would not line up. I was using a large design that had been split into 3. It took about  week to get it sorted with the designer and corrected files received, and by then our heat wave had hit and I have no interest in sewing.

As a matter of fact, about the only thing I want to do in this heat is sit in the shade and vegitate.

Offline Ann

« Reply #397 on: June 07, 2009, 01:33:39 PM »
I have been busy sewing barrel racing shirts and have done 10 for a lady with 2 more to go. I have also been doing embroidery club once a month and have enjoyed that very much. I have learned a lot from it. Will be doing it again next year with someone, whether it be local or in Alberta.

We have an offer on our house and land here in Dawson Creek and have an offer on a house down in Central BC. I will teach one more year and then will retire the end of July 2010. DH will move down to our new home rilght away and start some renovations we have discussed. It is time to retire and move back to where we came from.

Off to work on shirt #11 today and I will get them done next weekend. I have to do a pillow for a girl on the Hutterite Colony I teach at by June 22. I embroider a boquet of flowers on it and then sew it up. Easy but elegant looking for a wedding present.

Ann

Ann's Blogs

Offline Anna Mermaid

« Reply #398 on: June 07, 2009, 02:11:38 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I finished making a Shapes Pattern yesterday.  It's the High Five Jacket.  I made it out of a black rayon crepe that has quite a heavy drape.  Wasn't sure I was going to like it, but it turned out really well.  It hangs beautifully and looks really classy!

The week before I finished making an old TNT Sewing Workshop pattern - the Mission Tank from a lightweight silk.  It turned out great for this heat!

Judith, I read on an another thread that you have ordered online from the States.  Can you recomend some sources of good quality fabrics that the shipping is reasonable or in your experience are they all about the same.  I understand the no duty part and GST/PST, it's the actual shipping I'm inquirying about.  I would llike to order from Thai Silks and Fabric Mart.  I've ordered online before but only quilting cottons.

What's been everyone eles experience.

What kind of fabrics does everyone use for keeping cool in this heat!

Anna

Offline judith

« Reply #399 on: June 07, 2009, 05:18:39 PM »
Anne, we have a po box in Alaska, so I usually have fabric shipped there. But in the winter, when I absolutely just have to have something, I buy from places that are willing to ship USPS (not UPS). Both Gorgeous Fabrics and Emma One Sock are excellent about trying to ship cheapest, and they both have lovely fabric. I've never had a bad experience with either. Also, I"ve bought and shipped to Canada from Weachters, but it was a while ago so I don't know if they still ship US Post Office or not.
Don't forget, Wazoodle is in Canada and she has nice fabric. For the last year I've bought mostly knits so my experience is limited.

Offline Yvonne samas

• Yvonne S
« Reply #400 on: July 01, 2009, 12:44:47 AM »
HAPPY CANADA DAY to all the Canucks here!!!!!!!!!! 

I hope your weather is going to be better than here in Thunder Bay.  We have rain and/or showers forecast  but that likely won't stop the festivities that are planned.  From my balcony I will be able to watch the parade and hear the music from the waterfront park across the street from me

Offline Ann

« Reply #401 on: July 01, 2009, 09:27:01 PM »
Happy Canada Day to all. I spent part of the day at school getting ready for September. I have done the letter of the week for the Kindergarten and Grade 1 children. I still have a lot to do.

Sunny, cloudy, and showery here today also. But it doesn't stop the festivities in our area.

Ann

Ann's Blogs

Offline Yvonne samas

• Yvonne S
« Reply #402 on: October 12, 2009, 01:55:25 AM »
HAPPY THANKSGIVING  to all the Canadian gals here. I had a turkey dinner tonight and another one tomorrow and I didn't have to cook either one. That works for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday we woke up to a white world. The ground was snow covered but here in town it was almost gone by late afternoon. However, outside the city there is still a fair bit. I guess we shouldn't complain after the beautiful Sept. we had. However, Sept. just made up for July and Aug. which weren't very nice at all.

Offline Cathyici

« Reply #403 on: October 12, 2009, 03:41:54 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving from another Canadian poster. Please oh please keep the cold & snow 'out there'! We( southern Quebec) had a very unusual  spring & summer weather wise , a fair  Sept. & cool Oct. so far. Oh well that's Canadian weather for you!

Offline Sandi

« Reply #404 on: December 04, 2009, 07:00:38 AM »
Hi everyone,  I was wondering where everyone had got to.  Glad there are still a few of us.  I haven't been doing much sewing or quilting.  Don't seem to have much energy in the evenings.  Have a winter coat to finish in a hurry though.

Offline elenora

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #405 on: June 05, 2010, 06:40:40 AM »
Hi everyone, I haven't been here for long while, wish I could have, and I can see that I have much catching up to do. As for me, I had to take time for myself with a very sore back and I have developed eye sight problems due to dry eye syndrome and age! I am presently sewing altar cloths for church and I have done lots of embroidery in the past month.... and for sure I have been quilting. I learned so much in the Round Robins and even though I can't sew like I used to I have been pacing myself and accomplishing what I can. How is everyone doing?  I certainly hope you are all in good health.... elenora (paisley)

Offline Yvonne samas

• Yvonne S
« Reply #406 on: June 10, 2010, 02:13:32 AM »
Hi Elenora.  It was good to see you posting. I hadn't checked this site for quite awhile. Maybe we can get more people posting here and keep up to date with other Canadians.
Next week I'm off to St. Cloud MN to the big quilt show there. There are 7 of us going this year; we try and go every year. It's a nice drive, about 7-8 hours, and we plan on visiting several quilt shops along the way and on Wed. a few more near there before the show begins. We're all taking some classes so our time there will be busy. Of course. we like to visit all the vendors there and have several favourite ones we visit every year. We come home on Sun. June 20.

Hope to hear from more fellow Canadians.

Offline elenora

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #407 on: June 11, 2010, 04:30:12 AM »
Thanks for your response Yvonne. It is so nice to hear from you and it sounds like you are busy. I think the trip will be wonderful and hopefully your weather will be good. We certainly haven't had great weather here in the west, seems like it's been storming every week or so since March. I just know you will find some wonderful fabrics and ideas as you visit the different shops. This week I am squaring the blocks for a pink & white, flower and lattice print quilt. I belong to a  "knitting as you go group" which meets every Thursday afternoon and even though I can't knit much anymore I join in and we have great conversations. I am also in a group that is called "show and tell' with quilting projects. Nice group of ladies and we meet the third Saturday of each month. I like the inspiration these groups give to me and it's enough to keep me very busy! Have fun Yvonne and hi to everyone else.

elenora

Offline Yvonne samas

• Yvonne S
« Reply #408 on: July 01, 2010, 05:40:45 PM »
HAPPY CANADA DAY to all the Canadians here.

I hope you are all enjoying your holiday. It's dull here but at least it's not raining yet.

Yvonne

Offline judith

« Reply #409 on: July 02, 2010, 02:25:08 AM »
We spent Canada Day in the USA!

It was raining here, and we knew we had some stuff at our post office box in Alaska, so we headed over for the day. Had a terrific halibut lunch, and did some shopping. I found a perfect cross-body bag for travelling, just the right size and light weight. I had planned to make one, but this one is dandy. My latest order of fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics was waiting at the post office - it's a long time since I ordered it, so I enjoyed seeing what I'd bought. It's 3 pieces of rayon knit, for tops, again for travel. We're going to England for a few days in the fall, then on a river cruise. So I want some comfy tops. 

Unlike most places in Canada, we don't have fireworks today. Sunset is around midnight, then it comes back up in a couple of hours. They tried fireworks years ago, but it just doesn't have much effect in the daylight. Mind you, with the rain and clouds today, it might have been effective.

I hope everyone had a fun Canada Day.

Offline Robin K

• http://sewingsolo.blogspot.com
« Reply #410 on: July 18, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
I'm not sure if this question has been asked on this thread before, if it has I can't find it!  I live in Victoria and have very limited access to fabric sources (we have a total of three fabric stores in town).  I would be interested to know if any fellow Canadians have favorite on-line sources for fabric, notions, tools, etc.

In the past for fabric I have ordered from Emma One Sock -- she has fabulous fabric and great customer service; for pattern drafting supplies a company in Los Angles; interfacing, a company in Las Vegas; bra making supplies from Bra-Makers Supply in eastern Canada; notions from various US companies; sewing and drafting books from Abe Books, a Canadian company but most of the participating book sellers are in the US.  So far I have had great success ordering on-line, but would be interested to know if you are aware of any Canadian on-lines sources, particularly for fabric.  I hate the waiting -- it can take up to three weeks to get a US order and there is always uncertainty about duties and delivery costs.   

Robin K

Offline Cathyici

« Reply #411 on: July 18, 2010, 05:25:14 PM »

Good topic Robin K. There are some super US online sites But by the time you pay shipping international $ & duty(maybe) I am less enthusiastic about the fabric!! But of course sometimes I just give in & do it.  :)  I used to have 10 or so ind. stores , about 20 min drive away. Now I have 1 ind. & the Fabricville store  has closed & I  must drive 3/4 to 1 hr each way to go to another one. I really envy the gals on SG that can just pop into all those fabulous stores. Catherine

Offline tumblina

• Beginner's Sewing Mentor
    • Knits and Wovens
« Reply #412 on: July 18, 2010, 08:24:15 PM »
I just spent weeks trying to find shirting fabric - nothing in my Fabricville, nothing in the Canadian online stores I knew about, and shipping it from the States was going to be way more expensive than buying DH shirts from the big & tall stores! I finally got some Kona cotton from Atlantic Fabrics across the harbour, but it's a bit heavy for what he wanted (and no prints). If I get these fitted properly, I might have to go back on the hunt.

The only non-quilting, non-sports (although she does have both of those as well) canadian online fabric store I know is Wazoodle. Hit or miss on the garment stuff depending on what she's got in, as it started out as more of a baby/kids shop, but I've gotten quite a few knits, bottom weights, and some shirting from her in the past at decent prices. Shipping is cheaper than I expect for the huge bundles that show up (iirc ~$11 for 16 metres of fabric last time), and is what the Canada Post label says.

I have got several technical-material sites bookmarked (one in Alberta, one in Ontario, I think), but the prices for lyrca/goretex/etc have always turned me off (once again, much cheaper to buy the garment ready made, and I don't have so many fitting problems with lycra!).

Would love to hear if anyone's found other options though!!

Offline judith

« Reply #413 on: July 19, 2010, 12:45:57 AM »
Wazoodle used to have top quality interlock, but they haven't updated their website for months, and don't respond to emails, so I suspect they've gone out of business. Sadly, so have peak fabrics, so the selection of Canadian fabric stores is just not there anymore

I buy my embroidery thread and some supplies from Marathon Canada.

Joanne's Sewing Supplies (and independant canadian store, not "the" joanne's) has very good service, and a good selection of sewing supplies, here's the link

http://www.joannescreativenotions.com/store/

Offline Robin K

« Reply #414 on: July 19, 2010, 03:59:58 AM »
Thanks for the links.  I had a look at both of them and found a few things of interest -- I'm going to place an order with Joanne's for a couple of notions I haven't seen here.  Sadly, fabric stores, never mind Canadian on line sites, seem to be going the way of the dodo bird.  We have one really great fabric store in Victoria -- Gala Fabrics.  They have very high end, beautiful fabrics but their owner says their sales are down -- at least for prom and wedding fabrics.  Our Fabricland store seems to be going strong and for some strange reason seems to have taken a turn for the better in the past few months.  I'm not sure what's going on there -- for years I have avoided going there unless absolutely necessary -- a bad combination of poor quality fabric and unhappy, untrained staff.  Lately there seems to be significant change in attitude, they no longer treat customers as the enemy and claim to be getting some higher end fabrics in for fall -- even Liberty cottons -- we'll see! 

Offline Pipsy

• Ulysses July 2 2011
« Reply #415 on: July 19, 2010, 08:52:19 AM »
I would be interested to know if any fellow Canadians have favorite on-line sources for fabric, notions, tools, etc. Robin K
Check this site out.  Posted on a Quilting discussion but there are some fashion fabrics as well.
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ae862/mailorder.html - pretty complete list - unfortunately not lengthy
http://www.distinctivesewing.com/ - I have heard good things about this higher end on line shop - Toronto
I find A Great Notion, (http://www.agreatnotion.com/) in BC is excellent for notions and other supplies and the service is quick.
http://www.designerfabrics.to/ - Toronto
http://mitchellfabrics.ca/ - impressive fabrics but not a lot to view on line - I have had no experience - Winnipeg, I believe
http://fabricana.com/ - wonderful fabrics but site a bit outdated and no sign of on line ordering - if you know what you want they will respond, several placed near Vancouver

I have personally ordered fabric from Peak Fabrics (outerwear and canvas), McPhee Worshop which has good service. lovely but limited selection (and their site shuts my FireFox down!). I have also ordered from http://www.sundroptextiles.com/ which is similar to Peak Fabric, primarily fabric for sporting goods and active wear.

Interestingly, I was in Vanderhoof BC several years ago at a quilting expo and found their general store had phenomenal selection of fabrics and notions.  But given the success and nature of the business I doubt they have a web site .... and probably have a really great staff member in charge of that department.  I wonder what will happen if he/she retires or moves on.

The hard fact of the matter is we are a huge country with many small cities over a large area and while we are advanced in technology and small businesses are the heart of the country, retailers often do not have the population of sewers and quilters to support their business, brick and board or online.

Can try searching these sites
http://www.fabdir.com/ - searches by state or province - not a lot of Canadian
Sew Fancy has an impressive web site of fabrics. 0f both US and Canada
http://www.fabriclist.com/ - not Canadian but interesting list according to fabrics eg. looking for silk lists shops

FYI - Our Fabricland closed amidst various rumors.  One being their refusal to pay rental costs when their store needed a much larger place, the other rumor being that they are changing the way they run business and were hoping employees would take over the store as a franchise. It has been a great loss to our city as we now have virtually no fabric shops and have to drive 75 miles to a Fabricland in a city 1/4 the size we are. I also understand that there are different qualities Fabriclands. They do have a web site but no sign of onsite shopping.

Lets hope we can keep this discussion going!  I like to support our local businesses and Canadian businesses.
If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
My soul is fed by my needle and thread.

Offline Myrna

• Myrna Giesbrecht
« Reply #416 on: July 19, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »
... Our Fabricland store seems to be going strong and for some strange reason seems to have taken a turn for the better in the past few months.  I'm not sure what's going on there -- for years I have avoided going there unless absolutely necessary -- a bad combination of poor quality fabric and unhappy,

Ours is a lot busier than it used to be but just as crowded and messy and the staff still seems unhappy.

- Myrna

Offline Robin K

« Reply #417 on: July 19, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
Myrna, I've often wondered if the problems at Fabricland were just at our Victoria store or Canada-wide!  I know that our store has a new manager but I can't imagine that one person alone is making such a difference.  There are still a few staff members who don't know anything whatsoever about sewing or fabrics and are completely uninterested in their jobs, but there have always been a few that obviously sew and have some knowledge but were abrupt, rude and unfriendly.   Staff are now greeting you when you walk into the store, they approach you while you are shopping to ask if you need help -- I nearly fell over the first time that happened!   I used to literally feel sick to my stomach when I went into this store and would do just about anything to avoid it.  They still need to go a very long way in training and in upgrading the quality of their fabric but I am hopeful.  The fall/winter fabrics are starting to trickle in so we'll see.  Gala Fabrics will always be my "go to" place for quality fabrics and really great service but they don't carry notions and it is always nice to have a choice.

Offline Myrna

• Myrna Giesbrecht
« Reply #418 on: July 19, 2010, 10:10:05 PM »
Myrna, I've often wondered if the problems at Fabricland were just at our Victoria store or Canada-wide! 

The store in Kamloops is a company owned. It's messy and not nearly as friendly as the one in Salmon Arm and the one in Vernon which are both franchines. Maybe that makes the difference. Perhaps yours is now a franchise? One person can make a tremendous difference. We had a fabulous manager who was making great strides in improving the store and she left about a year or so ago. You coudl feel the difference in the air the minute you entered the store. There was way more tension.

- Myrna

Offline Pipsy

• Ulysses July 2 2011
« Reply #419 on: July 20, 2010, 12:17:36 AM »
Regarding Fabricland.  I have been sewing a very long time and have done business with Fabricland for over 40 years.  I have a few little paper hints from long ago that state the business was located in Kelowna.  When I mentioned this to the owner of our local Fabricland (gone for 2 years) she told me that about 5 years ago (read 7) the Kelowna/BC (original) business was sold to someone out of Toronto. The head office or individual tried to do anything not to spend any money, hence salaries were not great and when staff or management suggested any changes, like the need to expand to larger facilities they were brushed off. She told me that they argued about everything to staff. This may account for Fabricland staff unhappiness. Fortunately the manager of our store was a very nice person and if she could have afforded it she would have kept our local store going as a franchise.  Regarding rental space, I live in Prince George and I suspect the rents here are more reasonable than in eastern cities so wonder at the mentality of the new owners.

I agree that many staff, in many stores and not just Fabricland, employ people who don't sew, or unfortunately, people who sew only according to their own taste or practices.  I have actually had a salesperson ask me why on earth I would spend 'that kind of money' of a piece of fabric I wanted. I guess when one is paid minimum wages one doesn't buy much higher end fabric. Whenever I go into a fabric shop I look around for the the most 'engaged' looking person, usually the oldest staff  ;). I won't ever go to anyone that calls me dear - I find it very demeaning.
If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
My soul is fed by my needle and thread.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics