Author Topic: indigotiger's Earth and Sky SWAP (comments in discussion thread)  (Read 896 times)

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
I'm going to use the SWAP to fill in some of the gaps in my current wardrobe, so the focus this year will be on indigo and brown, since I already have four black pinafores (albeit differing styles and textures of fabric)
My inspiration image is this lovely artwork by Chad Alice Hagen which has all the colors in my palette: black to grey, dark indigo to light blue, deep chocolate brown through cafe au lait, with accents of turquoise, and cream.:
+
Since I don't actually own that artwork, I am using here at home (to guide my fabric and color choices) my Solitary Foxen handknit scarf

My two neutrals will be dark to medium indigos and browns. My accent colors will be off black shading to grey, and teal shading to turquoise. My style remains rustic, layered, and handcrafted, what I refer to as "urban fairytale". Right now my intent is to use the dark denim pinafore from my SWAP 2017 as my already sewn garment. I will likely make one more pinafore, and will mostly focus on woven tops, knit tops, and everyday dresses.

Here are some of the fabrics I pulled from the resource center to use:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 06:21:39 PM by indigotiger »
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
Re: indigotiger's Earth and Sky SWAP
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 12:37:10 AM »
So, looking at the fabrics I pulled from the resource center... The brown babywale corduroy is going to become a pinafore, probably in the same style as the denim jacquard pinafore I just finished last month. The dark denim pinafore I made in 2017, which has turned out to be a real wardrobe workhorse, will be my "previously sewn" garment; the two pinafores will be the "backbone" of my SWAP collection.

The printed fabrics are all going to be tops of one variety or another. The beautiful cotton knit, taupe printed with feathers in teal and other colors, will simply become one of my TNT long sleeve knit tops, (possibly with a turtleneck collar added). The dark blue floral cotton, the pale blue dotted with brown and cream horses, and the off white with little botanical drawings of mushrooms in sepia will become either variations on the TNT peplum blouse (itself a variant of my TNT everyday dress), or another simple button front blouse if I decided to go down that rabbit hole.

The indigo batik, and the indigo pinstripe are both going to become TNT everyday dresses, as there are currently NO everyday dresses in my closet at all. Because dresses don't get made from fabrics as robust as pinafores, they wear out faster, and l really need to focus on getting that part of my wardrobe replenished. The other difficulty being that I don't have a lot of dress lengths of fabric in the resource center.

The handwoven boiled wool I am hoping to turn into a cardigan jacket, by combining the woven fabric for the body and hand knitting stripey sleeves. I know darn good and well that knitting an entire cardigan would be a repeat of last year, with the one project taking up all the time and bandwidth, but just sleeves could be transit handwork... we shall see....

There are a few other possible fabrics to use in this collection. I pulled the linen textured weave, in dark blue and taupe, thinking it could be part of this. I also have the indigo/black waffle weave fabric that didn't get used last year, as well as several lengths of plain indigo linen in various shades, that were/are intended for SCA clothing, but could become a dress made in rectangular construction and hence suitable for either everyday or historical garb.

I've also been contemplating making a vest, possibly a long vest. Given how short I am, vests need to be either really cropped, or fairly long with a silhouette like the pinafore, in order to look well on me and be wearable over a pinafore and/or dress. Actually I've never actually made a long vest, although it looks well in sketches. Might be a fun addition? 

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
Re: indigotiger's Earth and Sky SWAP (comment in discussion thread)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 05:53:31 AM »
Indigo tiger ... you probably know I will say that you are the designer and therefore you should use your best judgement.
From my perspective something like a tie dye, thin pinstripe or subtle woven could pass for a solid because I personally would wear an obvious print with any of those if they where a good match color-wise.
So, I'm going to call my indigo pinstripe cotton and the taupe/deep indigo textured linen "solids". The pinstripe will definitely become a dress, not sure yet about the linen. In addition, I also found my shirt length of brown/cream shot linen folded up inside the black with brown stars flannel I had set aside to make a wearable muslin of one of my old button front top patterns, so the shot linen may also become part of this collection. 

One annoying thing is that the collar pattern piece for the button front shirt is missing, so I will need to get out my blue tape and copy the actual collar. Tomorrow.  Too tired tonight. That pattern started out long years ago as a flannel pyjama top! It fit so easily that I copied it and made an embellished black linen shirt-jacket, which I still have, and wear. Since it occurred to me that it might work well for a loose shirt to wear under pinafores, I'm going to attempt a wearable muslin from flannel... if it works, great, if not, it can become a bed jacket! (My plan is to spend at least some of the time between now and Boxing Day both making hopefully wearable muslins, cutting out SWAP sewing kits, and probably making up one of the dresses on my SWAP wishlist, in conjunction with CCL's Pre SWAP Dress Challenge...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 06:22:39 PM by indigotiger »

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
Re: indigotiger's Earth and Sky SWAP (comments in discussion thread)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 06:56:10 AM »
today yielded a pleasant surprise... I was rummaging around and found a thrifted EILEEN FISHER boucle wool cardigan! It is a very dark brown/black, and basically fits me, although it is too long in the body. I am considering using it for my RTW component for SWAP, if I can figure out how best to remove about six inches from the lower torso. I guess at just under 5'2" I'm somewhat shorter than her target demographic. Cutting off the bottom would also remove the pockets, alas, but I think that the proportion of shorter jacket over my longer skirts would look better.

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 01:12:40 AM »
Planned garments, for now anyway... other ideas may surface, I may decide to do something with the indigo/taupe textured linen, or to make the cardigan jacket using handwoven fabric I was given as the body and handknitting the sleeves....
  • INDIGO - dark denim pinafore (sewn before SWAP rules)
  • INDIGO - indigo pinstripe everyday dress (sewn before December 26)
  • INDIGO - subtle batik rayon popover dress
  • BROWN - milk chocolate brown corduroy pinafore
  • BROWN - brown/white shot cotton blouse/top
  • BROWN - bittersweet chocolate wool boucle cardigan (RTW)
  • PRINT - brown/cream mushroom print blouse/top
  • PRINT - taupe with teal multicolor feathers knit top
  • PRINT - indigo floral cotton blouse/top
  • PRINT - blue horse print cotton blouse/top
  • PRINT - teal batik stripe everyday dress
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:18:28 AM by indigotiger »

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 09:48:54 PM »
sketch of the everyday dress I will be making as my "post rules but pre SWAP" sewn garment, to be made from indigo pinstripe cotton

Also, this weekend I was given an entire duvet cover of dark indigo/white, in a sort of slubby oxford-cloth flax linen fabric which is sort of like shot cotton in that the warp is all dark and the weft is all light, so the overall color is almost grey-ish indigo. Definitely reads as a solid color. Not sure where to fit it into my plans, but I definitely want to make a dress from it!

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 02:46:36 AM »
Changing up my former plan somewhat, as I screwed up on the what gets sewn when, and already sewed my brown/white shot linen blouse instead of my indigo pinstripe dress. Sigh. Still going to sew the pinstripe dress, but I can't have two "sewn after the rules but before the 26th garments. Ooops!

So instead, for the preSWAP dress challenge, I am going to cut out and sew the teal batik stripe cotton dress instead of the indigo pinstripe, so that I can still include the pinstripe dress as part of my SWAP, by sewing it later on.

Also, when rummaging about in the sewing resources, I found the wool plaid pinafore I cut out for SWAP 2018, to coordinate with my Alabama Chanin cardigan, which will work well with my "earth and sky" theme. Putting that one aside as the first of my "SWAP sewing kits"

In addition, I'm going to drop the wool boucle cardigan from my RTW category, and instead sub in a brown knit turtleneck, as that will give me two different options to wear with the plaid wool pinafore.

INDIGO - dark denim pinafore (sewn before SWAP rules)
    INDIGO - indigo pinstripe everyday dress
    INDIGO - subtle batik rayon popover dress
    BROWN - milk chocolate brown corduroy pinafore
    BROWN - brown/white shot cotton blouse/top (sewn before December 26)
    BROWN - brown cotton knit turtleneck (RTW)
    PRINT - brown/cream mushroom print blouse/top
    PRINT - taupe with teal multicolor feathers knit top
    PRINT - indigo floral cotton blouse/top
    PRINT - blue horse print cotton blouse/top
    PRINT - brown/blue plaid wool pinafore
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:09:30 AM by indigotiger »

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 07:48:40 AM »
So far I have cut out the cream/brown mushroom print blouse, and am almost done cutting out the indigo pinstripe dress...

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 07:38:34 PM »
I've started knitting a wool sweater (for a different online challenge) and if I finish it in time, will include it in my SWAP.  Not sure if it will be in the indigo category, or the "print" category, since it has three different shades of blue...

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
A sadly sick Indigotiger has nothing to do but doze and daydream (well really I have lots that I ought be doing and want to be doing, but that isn't happening and will all have to be caught up later) my thoughts turn back to wardrobe planning, which is a Useful Sort of Daydreaming... It occurred to me that rather than using my denim pinafore as my "already sewn" SWAP garment, I could use the Alabama Chanin style cardigan that was my only completed object from last years SWAP. It has all the neutral colors in my wardrobe combined together. This would, of course, entail possibly making a second pinafore instead to substitute for the "previously sewn" denim pinafore. Looking at the fabric resource shelves, there is enough textured indigo/black linen, originally intended for either a jacket or an SCA garment, which would be delightful as a pinafore.

SWAP components revised:
  • jacket - Alabama Chanin style brown/indigo/black cardigan (previously sewn)
  • pinafore - indigo/black linen waffle weave
  • pinafore - brown corduroy
  • dress - everyday dress indigo pinstripe cotton/linen
  • dress - popover dress indigo marble batik rayon
  • blouse - brown/white linen oxford cloth (sewn before December 26)
  • blouse - cream/brown mushroom print cotton
  • blouse - indigo/black floral cotton lawn
  • blouse - blue/brown/multicolor floral cotton lawn
  • knit top - taupe/teal/multicolor feathers print cotton lycra
  • leggings - brown cotton jersey