Author Topic: SWAP 2019 Official Rules  (Read 2293 times)

Offline mudcat

• Sonoran Desert / subtropical
SWAP 2019 Official Rules
« on: October 29, 2018, 05:47:34 AM »
2019 Seasonal Designer Collection II SWAP Rules

You are still the Designer. Create a cohesive seasonal collection of eleven garments of your choice.

Plan:
Choose an inspiration piece of your choice --  Could be a scarf, artwork, fabric print, photograph, etc
Choose two neutrals that coordinate with your inspiration piece
Add 1-5 accent and/or print pieces that will work with your inspiration piece (ie: not clash)
Make 9 core pieces
Create multiple outfits using at least two core garment items that work for your personal style
Make 2 wild card pieces that can be used alone, with core items or with other items in your wardrobe
Wild card pieces should still blend in with inspiration piece
Combining fabrics is fine
No restrictions on type of garments

Rules
Sewing begins on 26 December 2018 and ends 30 April 2019
One garment may be completed by today (28 October 2018)
One garment may be started on 29 October 2018 and completed prior to 26 December 2018
One RTW garment may be included (it can be existing or purchased at any time before or during the SWAP)
Garments knitted, crocheted or woven by you may be included (limit of two since we are a sewing site)
Garments such as poncho, cape or wrap must include at least two pattern pieces, be one of your knitted, crocheted or woven items or have stitch work done by you to be considered a garment
Neutrals do not need to be the same fabrics
Neutrals may be textured
You will need a photo of your inspiration piece
Addendum: If you make your own inspiration piece it must be completed, photographed and posted prior to 26 Decomeber 2018

Prize
I will award a $25 gift certificate to an online fabric store (of winners choice) that allows gift certificates

Other
I suggest photographing outfits as items are completed.  Judging/photo rules will be the posted at a later date but they will be the same as last year.  Muslins, pattern fitting, cutting, interfacing, and other preparatory work may begin right away. As usual, individual threads are optional but all comments should go to the main thread.

If you have any questions, post them here and I will attempt to answer them. 

Clarification:
  I was having trouble with the right word but what I mean by not clashing or coordinating/blending is that your fabric choices should all be in colors that are in the inspiration piece.  The color tones/values may be different of course.  This applies whether they are prints or solids.  So choose wisely.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 12:01:53 PM by mudcat »

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
Re: SWAP 2019 Official Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 06:00:26 AM »
Wahoo!!  :applause2: Thank you Mudcat for the best, most versatile set of rules yet! For a change, I have no questions at all. All today I had been somewhat compulsively checking in here, and now I can drift off to sleep tonight with visions of SWAP sewing drifting through my head...

The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline sharonspils

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 08:57:51 AM »
Thank you Mjdcat these are fantastic rules and thankfully I have finished today a wrap dress that works in perfectly with my colour inspiration.

Now to work out the rest of the garments.

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 09:38:21 AM »
Do you need to be able to wear the Inspiration piece with everything else?

Eg:  I'm looking at a bright print as my inspiration, but I was thinking of using it as a skirt.  If I made trousers in one of the neutrals, obviously I couldn't wear them both together, but it would still be according to the rules as it's one of the neutrals in the print. 

Whereas if I made a top with the print, I could make a skirt out of the print as well, and trousers in a neutral, and then add on plain tops - which would mean I'd be wearing the inspiration print with everything else, but it may be as a top or a skirt.

I think I may have answered my own question....  that or made it very confusing!
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline Saashka

• Subscribed Member
  • sewing in southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 11:25:41 AM »

No, because the inspiration piece can be a photograph or artwork and you wouldn’t wear them.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 12:05:49 PM »
Excellent set of rules! Thank you Mudcat!!

Here's my stupid question:

Add 1-5 accent and/or print pieces that will work with your inspiration piece (ie: not clash)

I take that to mean I can have as many prints as I like, as long as they are colors (plural???) from my inspiration piece, and can be worn with two other garments to make an outfit.

Looking here for agreement with my interpretation of this...

My specific example: neutrals are Black and White, accent is Red. I plan 3-4 tops, to be made in different prints. All the print colors are some combo of black,white and/or red, but the patterns are different. None of the prints would be worn with each other as they go with a bottom and a layer that is a solid in one of the main colors.

Love this swap...giving me an excuse to go out an buy an expensive scarf that's been on my wish list for awhile. And just in time for Christmas. Off to write my letter to Santa.

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 12:22:33 PM »

No, because the inspiration piece can be a photograph or artwork and you wouldn’t wear them.

Sorry, I totally skipped that bit!  That's what I get for multi-tasking.  Thanks for pointing it out Saashka.
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline mudcat

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 06:51:18 PM »

I take that to mean I can have as many prints as I like, as long as they are colors (plural???) from my inspiration piece, and can be worn with two other garments to make an outfit.

It means you can have a max of five prints but then you would only have two neutrals to work with the prints.  So the intent is more to add an accent or two plus prints for those who prefer them.  But it also allows more accent options for those who prefer solids.

Also, regarding the inspiration piece ... if you choose to go with fabric then logically you would probably want to use that piece in your collection.  But if you use non-fabric then that would be problematic.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 07:13:45 PM »
Can we create the inspiration piece ourselves, e.g. paint a silk scarf or a canvas?

(I'm not saying I'm going to, but its one way to get the colours you want!)

Offline mudcat

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 11:54:50 PM »
Can we create the inspiration piece ourselves, e.g. paint a silk scarf or a canvas?

Knock yourself out. 
Yes I think that would be fine.

Offline Towanda

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 02:27:32 AM »
I love the rules this year. I'm wondering if the inspiration idea can be a piece of jewelry? I've been wanting to make a long multi-strand seed bead necklace using different shades of blue for a while. http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2018/01/business-travel-capsule-wardrobe-start-with-art-the-cathedral-frantisek-kupka.html/ I like the colors in this piece of art. I have every color except the dark navy in the fabric collection. I don't wear scarfs but I think a necklace would make it easy to pull the colors together especially if I make a couple of dresses as wild cards or extra pieces.

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 02:34:50 AM »
Make 9 core pieces
Create multiple outfits using at least two core garment items that work for your personal style
Make 2 wild card pieces that can be used alone, with core items or with other items in your wardrobe
Wild card pieces should still blend in with inspiration piece

I'm not sure on the difference between a core piece and a wildcard piece.  Can you elaborate on those definitions, possibly with some examples please Mudcat?
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline Sizun

• Subscribed Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 10:03:06 AM »
Mudcat, would it be possible to replace the RTW item with something I'm currently making but was not finished by Oct. 28 ?
Thank you.

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Offline mudcat

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 12:00:52 PM »
Towanda, the inspiration piece is your choice, so yes.  Making your own piece of jewelry is no different than someone painting their own scarf. 

Since there seems to be some interest in this (and it didn't occur to me previously) I am adding an addendum to the rules that if you make your own inspiration piece it should be completed, photographed and posted prior to 26 December.

Melinda, the core pieces have to be made to outfits of at least two items (of the 9 items) while the two wild card pieces can be stand alone or work with something already in your closet. The limiting factor is all 11 pieces still need to be cohesive in the sense they need to work with the inspiration piece.

Sizun, unfortunately, that would be outside of the rules unless this is going to be your inspiration piece.

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 12:26:30 PM »
Melinda, the core pieces have to be made to outfits of at least two items (of the 9 items) while the two wild card pieces can be stand alone or work with something already in your closet. The limiting factor is all 11 pieces still need to be cohesive in the sense they need to work with the inspiration piece.

Thank you.  I suspect I'm overthinking as usual.  And given that I probably won't finish this SWAP, just like the last several....  LOL
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline Sizun

• Subscribed Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 06:34:45 PM »
OK, thank you Mudcat.

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 01:03:36 AM »
    Before I get too deep into planning, and into actually cutting out fabric to put together my SWAP sewing kits... I realised I actually had a question. I am wondering about fabrics that are on the border between solid and print. For my own collection, I was thinking about drawing that line in such a way that things like pinstripes or tiny overall textures would be considered a "solid". I do want to clarify this, in the interest of not pushing the envelope so far it falls apart.

Using that definition, my current fabric collection consists of
    SOLID
    • indigo denim
    • brown corduroy
    • brown wool
    PRINT
    • cream/sepia mushroom cotton
    • taupe/multicolor feathers knit
    • blue/brown horses cotton
    • floral indigo/multicolor cotton
    • batik stripe indigo cotton
    UNSURE
    • solid/texture ? taupe/indigo linen
    • solid/pinstripe ? indigo cotton
[/list]

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 02:05:03 AM »
Oh Mudcat! I like LOVE the SWAP Rules for this year! You've outdone yourself and have come up with a set of rules that will work for pretty much everybody! And added a creative twist with that inspiration piece as well.

:applause2:

Not sure if I will get to do a swap (or any serious sewing) in the recent future as we are in the middle of a home renovation without a end date(!) and my sewing space has become a catchall for the stuff that were packed up. I'll play along by drawing out a plan for now and take it as it goes.

Offline mudcat

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 03:35:26 AM »
Indigo tiger ... you probably know I will say that you are the designer and therefore you should use your best judgement.

From my perspective something like a tie dye, thin pinstripe or subtle woven could pass for a solid because I personally would wear an obvious print with any of those if they where a good match color-wise.

Offline theresa in tucson

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 04:44:12 AM »
Good rules this year but I will be watching and reading from the sidelines.  I really do not need any more clothes but I'm interested in what others will be sewing and wearing.

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 10:27:13 AM »
I think it would be good to pin this topic and the related 'SWAP disscussion thread' to the top of this board?! Easier to find the relevant topics that way.
Eva

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 12:16:45 PM »

You are still the Designer. Create a cohesive seasonal collection of eleven garments of your choice.

Clarification:
  I was having trouble with the right word but what I mean by not clashing or coordinating/blending is that your fabric choices should all be in colors that are in the inspiration piece.  The color tones/values may be different of course.  This applies whether they are prints or solids.  So choose wisely.

Melinda maybe this answers your question?
Wendy

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 12:22:40 PM »

Clarification:

Melinda maybe this answers your question?

Yes, thanks Wendy.  I think I need to stop thinking of it as 'fabric' and more as 'inspiration start point'.
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline mudcat

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 04:24:07 AM »
I hope that what Wendy posted clarifies it for you Melinda.  That is the correct interpretation.

Actually, I'm stealing indigo tiger's post from the main swap thread because she explains my intent so perfectly:

Choose something (whether a scarf, a photo, a piece of artwork, or even a multicolor printed fabric) as an inspiration for the colorway for our SWAP 2019 collection. The point being to have a coherent set of colors so that the various garments worn alone or in combination look like they belong together.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 06:00:20 AM by mudcat »

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 09:05:15 AM »
I hope that what Wendy posted clarifies it for you Melinda.  That is the correct interpretation.

Actually, I'm stealing indigo tiger's post from the main swap thread because she explains my intent so perfectly:

Choose something (whether a scarf, a photo, a piece of artwork, or even a multicolor printed fabric) as an inspiration for the colorway for our SWAP 2019 collection. The point being to have a coherent set of colors so that the various garments worn alone or in combination look like they belong together.

It does clarify it, thank you!
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline LynnH

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 03:09:49 AM »
Mudcat - thank you for the rules. No idea if I will participate, but I will be doing the planning!
Lynn

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 09:37:29 PM »
Can wildcards also be colour/print or do they have to be contained within the 1-5 colour/print pieces?

Offline mudcat

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 05:23:46 AM »
Wildcards still need to be part of the original neutrals or 1-5 color/print pieces.  There is nothing to preclude you form using the same fabric in more than one argument.

The only benefit of the wildcard is that it doesn't have to work with the core in terms of outfits.

Hope that clears things up.

Also, on another note, I'll be out of town until Sunday night so any new questions will likely not be answered until Monday when I get home from work (and I am in AZ MST).

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 11:50:49 AM »
Choose two neutrals that coordinate with your inspiration piece

Wildcards still need to be part of the original neutrals or 1-5 color/print pieces.  There is nothing to preclude you form using the same fabric in more than one argument.

The only benefit of the wildcard is that it doesn't have to work with the core in terms of outfits.

So we have to have 6 (or more) garments made from the 2 neutrals, and up to 5 in colours or prints.  That's a lot of neutrals, but they can be different shades of the colour, yes?  IE, if I pick grey as a neutral, I can use a dark grey for pants and a mid-grey for a skirt, and a heathered grey for a cardigan, correct?  (sorry, I feel like I'm just not getting this SWAP at all)
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 01:13:56 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, mudcat! I think I was hoping that the wild cards could be in different fabrics from the garments of the 9, given that I don't have more than enough to make one garment at a time in my accents and prints and I am trying to use up stash only (and not buy). No problem though. I'll find a work around, probably with neutrals and maybe one accent colour. Time to rethink.

Melinda: Melinda, I think that's right: if you use grey as a neutral you can use greys of different value in your collection. I hope that's right, as I have the same idea for my collection. :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 01:27:10 PM by stephaniecan »

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 07:18:37 PM »
Melinda
That's a lot of neutrals, but they can be different shades of the colour, yes?  IE, if I pick grey as a neutral, I can use a dark grey for pants and a mid-grey for a skirt, and a heathered grey for a cardigan, correct?
stephaniecan
Melinda, I think that's right: if you use grey as a neutral you can use greys of different value in your collection. I hope that's right, as I have the same idea for my collection
Mudcat
you probably know I will say that you are the designer and therefore you should use your best judgement. From my perspective something like a tie dye, thin pinstripe or subtle woven could pass for a solid because I personally would wear an obvious print with any of those if they where a good match color-wise.
A few days ago I asked Mudcat about using subtly patterned fabric as a solid/neutral... I am planning on using variations on my two chosen neutrals, as the intent is not necessarily to have all the neutral garments made from identical fabric. I wouldn't want to wear, say, a matching corduroy pinafore and jacket! So my plan is to make a medium brown corduroy pinafore, to wear with cocoa color knit leggings and the dark bittersweet brown boucle RTW cardigan.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 09:57:43 PM »
Thanks, indigotiger. That is right up my alley. I would like to use all or mostly stash/resource centre fabrics, so different shades of the same fabric or those with a subtle texture or print are in my plans.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »
I really love the inspiration pieces everyone has chosen.  :heart:
The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

======================

Check out my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons & other craft supplies:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2018, 02:03:34 AM »
Thanks, DL. Just as an aside, I tried looking for ways to update my subscription but I couldn't find the information. Would you mind pointing me to where I need to go? I know it's probably right in front of my nose. Thanks! Stephanie

Updated: Oops! Nevermind. I just found the link under my profile. Will update for 2019 next month.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 01:58:50 PM »
Thanks, DL. Just as an aside, I tried looking for ways to update my subscription but I couldn't find the information. Would you mind pointing me to where I need to go? I know it's probably right in front of my nose. Thanks! Stephanie

Updated: Oops! Nevermind. I just found the link under my profile. Will update for 2019 next month.

You can extend your subscription at any time. :)
The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

======================

Check out my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons & other craft supplies:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions