Author Topic: SWAP 2019 Official Rules  (Read 4721 times)

Offline mudcat

• Sonoran Desert / subtropical
Re: SWAP 2019 Official Rules
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2018, 01:33:10 AM »
Choose two neutrals that coordinate with your inspiration piece
Add 1-5 accent and/or print pieces that will work with your inspiration piece (ie: not clash) 

Wildcards still need to be part of the original neutrals or 1-5 color/print pieces.  There is nothing to preclude you form using the same fabric in more than one argument.

The only benefit of the wildcard is that it doesn't have to work with the core in terms of outfits.

So we have to have 6 (or more) garments made from the 2 neutrals, and up to 5 in colours or prints.  That's a lot of neutrals, but they can be different shades of the colour, yes?  IE, if I pick grey as a neutral, I can use a dark grey for pants and a mid-grey for a skirt, and a heathered grey for a cardigan, correct?  (sorry, I feel like I'm just not getting this SWAP at all)

If it helps ... last year you had two neutrals, 1 accent/2 prints or 2 accents/1 print.  This year I changed that to 1-5 accent and/or prints to help accommodate those who felt they didn't have enough prints last year. 

Example:  Neturals: purple, olive, Accent: mustard yellow; plus four prints. I can make 2-3 items from each neutral, 2 items from accent giving me 6-8 items and fill in with prints that work with the three solid colors.  My neutrals and accent can be any number of fabric types in tones/hues that don't clash with each other.

Offline mudcat

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2018, 01:41:51 AM »
Mods, can we get the rules and the SWAP 2019 Pre-SWAP discussion primary thread pinned please.

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2018, 04:31:57 PM »
There must be at least 6 garments in the neutral colours - Can I colour block my two accent colours and having it count as one of the 6 neutral garments?
Eva

Offline Grasshopper

• Subscribed Member
    • Vintage Country Life
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2018, 10:35:00 PM »
If it helps ... last year you had two neutrals, 1 accent/2 prints or 2 accents/1 print.  This year I changed that to 1-5 accent and/or prints to help accommodate those who felt they didn't have enough prints last year. 

Example:  Neturals: purple, olive, Accent: mustard yellow; plus four prints. I can make 2-3 items from each neutral, 2 items from accent giving me 6-8 items and fill in with prints that work with the three solid colors.  My neutrals and accent can be any number of fabric types in tones/hues that don't clash with each other.

This example is really helpful.  I don't think I was thinking about the ability to use an accent for more than one piece.
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Offline mudcat

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2018, 03:14:28 AM »
Morzel you will need to make two garments for each neutral.  Outside of that you can colorblock all you want. 

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2018, 10:13:32 AM »
I am sorry, I got my question wrong previously... I ment to ask if colourblocking the NEUTRAL colours together would count as a neutral garment...  :slap:

I am somehow still not clear about the print/accent thing. In the rules it states '1-5 print/accent pieces'. I thought pieces equals garments. But in your example if I would make only two garments of each neutral, two in accent colour and THEN fill in with prints, it would mean more garments (Pieces?) in print/accent than 5. If I take your last explanation (to my wrongly put question), I need at least two neutral garment each. Then I can choose 1-5 accent colours/prints and sew the rest of the garments from those? Sorry to be bothering you, mudcat. Just didn't get it yet... but I really do want to do AND finish SWAP this year.
Eva

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2018, 12:46:33 PM »
Morzel you will need to make two garments for each neutral.  Outside of that you can colorblock all you want.

sorry, but I don't agree. That is NOT stated in the rules. And if that is what you want, you need to amend the original rule post.

By my interpretation... you must have two neutrals, but no rule states a minimum number of required garments in those neutrals.

So basically you are required to have only  TWO neutral garments. One in color A and the other in color B. You may have more neutral garments (up to 8 total), but it is not required.  (8 core neutrals + 1 accent = minimum core of 9)

You  also have to have at least 1 -and up to 5 - solids or prints (accents C D E F G) to make up the required additional 9 core pieces. ( so say you have minimum neutrals:  2 neutrals + 7 accent garments but which use only 5 accent solids/prints, let's assume 2 of these are color blocked, for example.)

Plus 2 wild cards, that also need to be in the same set of colors, but which do not need to be worn with any of the other garments (i.e. outfits).

Please clarify.

Online M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2018, 11:31:37 PM »
Mudcat, I actually read the rules the same as Bessiecrocker.

Then in the discussion thread, it seems people are interpreting the rules to mean 6 neutral garments are required. But in your reply to Morzel, you state that 4 neutral garments are required, 2 of each.

So I would also appreciate clarification on how many garments are required of each neutral. And I agree that it would be helpful to modify the original rules post if there is actually a required number of garments for each neutral. Thanks!

Offline angelsweb

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2018, 12:01:43 AM »
I'm fascinated by how we can all find what we want in this set of rules -- it adds greatly to the flexibility of this SWAP.

For example, if I use all five accents/prints, that leaves only 4 pieces for the neutrals in the core of 9 garments. As I read it, the wild cards can repeat one of the colors or prints, or be something totally different, so long as they go with with the inspiration piece. So, if I focus on the beige/browns as the neutrals and maybe the blues/teal as an accent from my egg photo, I could maybe pull out the green or a rust for a dress or coat as one of my wildcards. It would stand alone, but still be inspired by one of the eggs in the photo.

Do I have that right, Mudcat? Thank you for coping with all our questions!

Angelia

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2018, 12:09:17 AM »
This is great, as I had been confused by the interpretation on the discussion board that a minimum of six garments in the two neutrals would be required. I had interpreted the rules as meaning that 1-5 accent or print fabrics would have to be chosen, but that multiple garments could be made in these, meaning that one could make fewer than six garments in the neutrals and have, say, multiple garments in an accent colour. I am flexible either way, but was hoping to make multiples in an accent colour. Will be helpful to know for sure. Thanks for your patience, mudcat!

angelsweb: I originally had the same idea as you - that the wild cards could be standalone, as long as they blended with the inspiration piece, but I believe that at some point it was clarified that the wild cards would have to be in either one of the neutrals or one of the five prints or accent fabrics chosen. Will wait for mudcat to clarify all though. :)

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2018, 01:28:28 AM »
Maybe I should just wait for Mudcat to clarify, but based on what she has already posted, I think that we need to make at minimum four garments (using our chosen two neutrals), as that combined with the maximum of five accent or print fabrics would give us the 9 core garments (that need to combine together in the make mulitple outfits using at least two core pieces together...) Then we have the option of the two wildcards that don't need to combine with the core pieces to be wearable, but that still need to be made from either one of our neutral colors, or one of our accent colors or prints...

so, if someone had colors as black and brown, and an accent color as teal, plus four multicolor prints, they could have, for example:
  • black corduroy pants
  • black denim jacket
  • brown twill pants
  • brown boucle jacket
  • print blouse (floral)
  • print blouse (plaid)
  • print blouse (mushrooms)
  • print blouse (tiny horses)
  • teal knit top
  • teal corduroy dress
  • brown pinstripe oxford cloth shirtdres

That would have six different textures for my neutral fabrics, and an accent color, and four more or less multicolor prints that fit in with the color scheme, what I wouldn't do would be to add in an additional accent color or print to the wildcard garments, though if I had enough of one of my print or accent fabrics I could use that as a wildcard in addition to the garment that was part of the core of 9... like say if I made plaid pants as part of the core of 9 and also a plaid dress of the same fabric as a wildcard... (trust me, you will NEVER see me in plaid pants!)
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline mudcat

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2018, 01:40:38 AM »
I stand corrected. The rules will remain as I originally wrote and not as I imagined I wrote them.  Although, I will say only making one item per neutral kind of defeats the purpose of neutrals.

Pieces refers to fabric. 

Carry on.

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2018, 03:19:50 PM »
Pieces refers to fabric. 

Thanks for that clarification - now I got it.
Eva

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2018, 07:52:33 PM »
To me, it would be most helpful if the original post clearly listed all the rules and any new clarifications in a single post. Then there is no need to read through the discussion and rules threads to work out the nuances.

I have to say I am possibly slightly more confused than I was.
I tried going through the original rules post and replacing 'pieces' with pieces of fabric' but it didn't make sense as some are clearly garments, so I think I'll ignore that bit.

I am now unclear about the parameters for a wildcard garment following indigotigers post above.
Her example shows 4 prints and 2 accent coloured items which seems more than the 1-5 print/accent rule and confuses me as I thought that wasn't allowed.

I can make a collection to fit the rules so that's not my concern. I just don't want to throw out an option due to misunderstanding.

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »

I am now unclear about the parameters for a wildcard garment following indigotigers post above.
Her example shows 4 prints and 2 accent coloured items which seems more than the 1-5 print/accent rule and confuses me as I thought that wasn't allowed.

Ruthie, this is also where I got confused. As far as I got it, you can use your chosen prints/accent colours repeatedly. Indigotigers accent colour is teal, so she uses 4 (different) prints, 1 accent colour (teal, though in two garments), 2 neutrals.
Eva

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2018, 12:43:52 AM »
I was trying to give an example, and may have gotten it wrong. .. in my own SWAP I'm planning on two neutrals and five prints, because that works best with the fabrics I have on hand... I suspect that my example would be more correct if I had suggested that both the teal garments be made from the same fabric, and not two different fabrics

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2018, 03:36:31 AM »
... (trust me, you will NEVER see me in plaid pants!)

I have at least three pairs of plaid pants!! :) 

All that said, I can do whatever mudcat decides are the rules. I have been thinking of a plan with five garments in my neutral fabrics and the remainder in my print or accent fabrics/colours, so should be easy to adapt.

Thanks for your patience, mudcat!

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2018, 09:49:44 AM »

Pieces refers to fabric.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm not sure this is what you mean, either. My swap has only 3 COLORS (black, red, white), plus 2 prints (in the same colors). But I have 11 different fabrics!  (Denim, knit, linen, wool, etc.)

I "think" what you are going for is something along this path:

°this swap is based on an inspiration image which provides you with a color palette that must be reflected in the garments you make.

Oxford dictionary "The range of colours used by a particular artist or in a particular picture."
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/palette

°choose an inspiration item (scarf, painting, etc.) that provides you with a color "palette" and conveys the "feeling" you want in your SWAP wardrobe.

° from your inspiration, choose your final chosen "palette" consisting of  two main neutrals (A and B) and at least one accent/pop solid color or print. (C).

°you may also have up to 4 additional solid colors or prints to use as accent/pop garments or trim. (subset of C=DEFG).  "C" refers to CDEFG.

°CDEFG must "coordinate" with A and B.  (You must be able create outfits, using at least 2 garments, by wearing A and/or B and/or Cs together). CDEFG may or may not "go with" with each other, but they all need to reflect the inspiration image.

°you have a restricted color palette, but your fabrics choices are not restricted, as long as they reflect the palette (and the inspiration piece). Also you can vary the hues (the shade, or lightness and darkness) within your chosen palette and use various textures for added variety. You may not have more than 5 prints.

°your final swap "core"collection must include at least one garment A, B and C. 6 other garments will be made from ABC(DEFG) to complete the "Core"--garments that are to be worn together (total 9 garments). In addition, there are two "Wild Card" options, which do not need to be worn with the core garments.  (swap total 11 garments)

Mudcat, Is this about right?
I still am somewhat unclear about what is allowed for the Wild Cards...but let's get this part clear first, then we can move on. 

sorry if this posts twice. getting 500 erroes.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2018, 10:09:07 AM »
thinking about the plaid pants factor. You "could" in theory make one, even two (in theory, ) neutrals a plaid.  AND have up to 4/3 other prints. You just need to be able to pull off wearing some pretty "artistic" combos!!

Plaid pants and jacket 2xA
Big floral pants and jacket 2xB
Tops, in solids 1xC and  1xD. Plus 1x EFG (prints that "go with" your basics...pretty wild, but there are people who can pull it off.)

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2018, 11:32:08 AM »

• black corduroy pants
  • black denim jacket
  • brown twill pants
  • brown boucle jacket
  • print blouse (floral)
  • print blouse (plaid)
  • print blouse (mushrooms)
  • print blouse (tiny horses)
  • teal knit top
  • teal corduroy dress
  • brown pinstripe oxford cloth shirtdres

I thought it might be useful to look at Indigo's plan...and see if it matches my thoughts.  She also has 11 different fabrics...

She has
 2x A (black)
 3x B (Brown)  --inc. WC1
 2x C (teal)      --inc. WC2
 1x D (print 1- floral)
 1x E (print 2- plaid)
 1x F (print 3- mushrooms)
 1x G (print 4- horses)

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2018, 07:23:39 PM »
bessiecrocker: What you have written is consistent with what my interpretation has been: the neutrals versus prints is really about choosing a palette. The neutrals don't have to be in the exact same fabric, i.e. I could have grey as a neutral and use different fabrics in various shades of grey to make my grey-coloured garments. Mudcat made a statement to the effect that colours didn't need to be of the exact same value, so felt that this was clear. Where I was slightly confused was in regard to the wild cards. I had initially understood that the wild cards could be in colours or prints other than in the neutrals pool (2 colours) or patterns and accents pool (1-5 different patterns or accent colours), provided that they blended in with the original inspiration piece and colours. It was later clarified that wild cards would need to be made in either the neutral colours (2 choices) or the colours and patterns palette (1-5).

PS The plaids are great but I admit the combos are a little bit bold for me. :)

Offline mudcat

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2018, 04:03:29 PM »
Sorry everyone, I've been sick since Friday and it was especially bad the last day.  I've just spent the last 24 hours in bed.  I have no energy and will try to clarify the rules soon. 

Offline marciae

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2018, 05:30:15 PM »
Please take care of yourself.  This board and topic can wait.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2018, 07:32:35 PM »
Get well soon, mudcat - there’s plenty of time for this when you are fighting fit again, so I wouldn’t worry about SWAP until then if I were you.

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2018, 07:38:19 PM »
Feel better Mudcat!
Wendy

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2018, 08:49:27 PM »
Mudcat, no rush on the rules...we've got enough to go on. Just get back to good health, step one. Thinking of you! :grouphug:

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2018, 09:23:18 PM »
Hi Mudcat, hope you are feeling better soon.

We've only got the option to sew one peice now, so you have a few weeks to clarify the rules for us before we dive in :-D

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2018, 10:07:22 PM »
oh mudcat - I hope that you soon feel better! Seriously, take good care of yourself first... we can certainly wait while you heal! As Ruthie pointed out, it will be a while before we get into the actual SWAP sewing

Offline mudcat

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2018, 09:09:32 PM »
I added a couple of examples in the original rule post that I hope clarifies.  I'm feeling more human after spending the last three days in bed watching movies but I'm still not 100% so I could have made an error in my math.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2018, 09:45:08 PM »
Thanks muscat, that's helpful.
I can't see anyway that says I can only have one accent colour even though your examples only have one.
would this be OK?

Ink Blue (Neutral 1)
- Ink Blue Trousers (Neutral 1)
- Ink Blue Jacket (Neutral 1)
- Ink Blue Skirt (Neutral 1)
- Ink Blue Cardigan (Neutral 1)

Stone (Neutral 2)
- Stone Cardigan (Neutral 2)
- Stone Knit Top (Neutral 2)
- Stone Trousers (Neutral 2)

Teal (Colour 1)
- Teal Wool coat (wildcard) - Colour 1: colour /print piece 1
- Teal Knit top - Colour 1: colour /print piece 2

Rose (Colour 2)
- Rose Knit top (only have one fabric in this colour but would lilke to use it for variety) - Colour 2: colour /print piece 3
If 2nd colour not allowed I would drop this piece and make something else instead

Print
- Ink and stone knit top - Neutrals: colour /print piece 4

Offline mudcat

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2018, 10:35:13 PM »
You can have any combination of accents/prints.  So 2 accents/3 prints, 3 accents/2 prints, etc
Perhaps I should have done it differently but my main objective was to allow more prints for those who prefer them while trying to stay within last years collection theme which worked so well for most of you.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2018, 02:53:52 PM »
Thanks, mudcat. Glad to hear you are feeling better. I love your sparkly avatar - I already have my lights up, too.

Offline mudcat

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2018, 08:05:31 PM »
Thanks stephaniecan ... the avatar is of the lights on the saguaro cactus in my front yard.  That's the only Christmas tree we have every year.

Online M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2018, 09:40:08 PM »
Thanks for the clarification about the accent colors/prints, mudcat! It makes sense to me! :D

I love your Christmas cactus avatar, too.

Offline crazyquilter

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2018, 01:39:36 PM »
Mudcat, I have reread this thread and don't see refashioned garments mentioned anywhere.  I am seriously thinking about joining in this year, since I have actually sewn a couple of garments as opposed to just thinking about it.   I would like to work from stash and using fabric from thrifted garments as much as possible.  I am pretty sure that if I deconstruct a skirt and make a top from the fabric that would be OK.  I am also considering making leggings from knit tops.  In this case I might use the sleeves as the bottom of the leggings, but the top part of the leggings would be cut flat and sewn as normal.  A more problematic refashion consists of a jersey cardigan I want to remake.  I would use the basic shell, recutting the shape of the fronts and bottom and adding several rows of crochet around the cut portions.  Would this be considered a crocheted piece?  or maybe along the same lines as a poncho with added crochet trim? or would it have to fall under ready made garment even though it would take at least a couple of days to do the work on it?

Another question I have concerns the quoted note from the rules:

Rules

Note that accents fabric must be the same (so not two different fabrics of the same accent color)

A couple of the example plans by others use the accent color in two different fabrics and I couldn't see where that was clarified or disallowed, ie: Indigotiger and Ruthie both mention 2 teal accent garments in different fabrics, and Bessiecrocker with her 11 different fabrics.

It seems like this rule would limit us to one garment from a particular accent color unless we bought lots of yardage in the accent color and used that.  Personally, I much prefer a variety of textures to an outfit with all the same fabric.  Also, different garments often require the use of different types of fabric for instance knit tops and woven pants.

What if I wanted to make a dress from five different plain fabrics recycled from thrifted garments and dyed to match?  Would that have to count as all five of my accents?

Thanks for considering these questions.

Dawn