Author Topic: The Pre-2019 SWAP Dress Challenge  (Read 5950 times)

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
Re: The Pre-2019 SWAP Dress Challenge
« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2018, 06:38:58 PM »
Right pleased with my dress (which made it successfully through the washing machine buttons and all) and starting to think about the second half of the contest... taking photos, and posting here. I am a tiny bit stumped about what category to put myself in. In the initial description, CCL wrote:
  I was thinking of something like this…the idea being that if you can check off all five of the major bullets below, then you can self-define as Intermediate to Advanced and enter in that category.  If you cannot check off all five, then you can self-define as Beginner to Intermediate.  It would be up to each entrant to decide, so this list is offered as a guideline.

* Made over 50 garments
    * Made more than 3 of the following types of garments:
        Jacket
        Shirt with stand and front band
        Coat
        Fitted dress
        Pants with fly front zipper
        Lined garment
    * Sewn garments out of more than 3 of the following:
        Lace
        Leather or faux suede
        Chiffon
        Silk Duponi
        Boucle
        Wool coating
        Fake or real fur
        Taffeta
        Satin
    * Successfully used more than 4 of the following techniques:
        Invisible zipper
        Hong Kong seams
        Welt pockets
        Underlining
        Bias binding for neck or armhole finish
        Set in sleeves
        Bound or hand made buttonholes
        Calculated for turn of the cloth
    * Used at least 3 of the following hand stitches
        Slip stitch
        Back stitch
        Catch stitch
        Pad stitch
        Whip stitch
        Blanket stitch
If I look at the five categories as far as my own sewing, I am kind of smack dab in the middle. 1. I have definitely sewn over 50 garments. 2. I have made a Viking style coat, and a lined garment, and a very casual jacket, but that is not "over three"; if the intent of #2 is a familiarity with tailoring techniques I have to say not really. 3. I have worked with lace (once, ugh), and leather, and silk dupioni, and used fur as a trim, so I call this a yes. 4. Again right in the middle, I have used 4 of these (handworked buttonholes, bias binding edges, set in sleeves, and one of my three new things for this contest was drafting for turn of the cloth) but not more than 4... so I have to call this a no. 5. I am very familiar with hand stitching and have used it on many occasions over the last almost sixty years I've been sewing, so this is a yes.

So, three yes and two no... that doesn't add up to all five of the major bullet points. It feels weird to put myself into the Beginner to Intermediate category for all the years of my sewing experience, but I hadn't really looked at my skillset with this point of view. I guess that most of my actual sewing is fairly simple. I'm definitely nothing like a beginner, but compared to those who do couture stitching, I am nowhere near advanced, either. So, fellow forum members, which category would you put me in?
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline CCL

• My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #141 on: December 10, 2018, 09:18:51 PM »

So, three yes and two no... that doesn't add up to all five of the major bullet points. It feels weird to put myself into the Beginner to Intermediate category for all the years of my sewing experience, but I hadn't really looked at my skillset with this point of view. I guess that most of my actual sewing is fairly simple. I'm definitely nothing like a beginner, but compared to those who do couture stitching, I am nowhere near advanced, either. So, fellow forum members, which category would you put me in?

IndigoTiger - when I look at your garments - I see "expert."   ;D

(I am betting none of think we are Advanced...we are such a humble crowd!)

Personally, I think your two "NOs" are really Yeses. (As I think about it, I probably should have written those as "4 or more" (instead of "more than 4.") 

It's really hard to give ourselves an overall rating, isn't it? 

I feel completely novice about some techniques - your beautiful handwork, for example, or Bev's fantastic embellishment, Bessie's fitting, Kowgirrl's jeans  :applause2:...and I know I am really not good at those.  But there are other things I feel rather confident about - techniques for men's shirts, etc. -

The guidelines are just guidelines...so I say enter in the category you think is the closest. 

Offline CCL

• My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #142 on: December 10, 2018, 09:19:34 PM »
Deadline extended 24 hours!

So I looked at the calendar and realized that the 15th is this Saturday - which seemed unfair as so many of us can sew only on the weekends.  So I decided to extend the deadline to SUNDAY night 12:00 midnight...that is December 16th.

I hope that helps some folks who are dashing to finish by the deadline.

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2018, 09:40:40 PM »
Thanks CCL... I was thinking that I should put self in the "Intermediate to Advanced" category, based if nothing else on my many decades of sewing, even though there is much I would like dearly to improve in my skillset...

Here is a quick look at my new dress:
and, as usually worn, under a pinafore:
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #144 on: December 10, 2018, 10:10:47 PM »
What fun Indigotiger, it looks like an ideal addition to your wardrobe.

I find CCL's skills list very enlightening.  I'm not entering this contest, but the list makes me realise - I have done all the techniques and all the hand stitches many times.  In my previous sewing lifetime in the 60s before life intervened I made many special occasion dresses and a Dior suit complete with matched asymmetric stripes.  I took it for granted I could get all the guidance I needed from Vogue couture patterns.  So I might have counted as 'upper intermediate' then.   But after many years of quilting, my return to clothes making has not been at all adventurous in either garment types or fabrics.  Interesting to think about, and I continue to think of myself now as an 'expert beginner'  ;D
Well the return has also involved a new body shape and a change from a hand cranked black and gold Singer to a computerised machine. .  .
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2018, 12:28:26 AM »
Deadline extended 24 hours!

Oh thank you!  I will need that extra day for sure, as I'll have to fit my back up option.

And Indigotiger, I agree with everyone else that your sewing skills are best described as intermediate to advanced!  Your dress looks great!
Wendy

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2018, 02:29:48 AM »
Yay re. the extension!! I am still working on my toile and that will give me a chance. I will have Sunday evening to sew. :) I'm still not sure I'll make it, but this has been a great incentive to work on a new dress.

Offline CCL

• My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2018, 03:56:31 PM »
Repeating my original information on posting your photos and the next steps in the challenge...(I updated to included extended deadline).  Note I also changed the voting time period to start later to give me a little time to get everything organized.  Stay tuned... could open earlier, but won't close any earlier than listed below:

Dress Challenge Timeline and instructions for entering your creations:
  • 12-16-18: December 16th- Sewing Stops on … Midnight Pacific Coast Time (I think that gets everyone???)
  • 12-16-18 through 12-23-18:
    • Post three photos of the dress (front, back, side) on the intended wearer in the Dress Challenge gallery that Dragon Lady has already set up.  Both Beginner to Intermediate and Intermediate to Advanced post in the same gallery
      You can crop off “heads” (I always do!!!) but otherwise the photos of the dress should be the dress on a person. 
    • Include a description that includes:
      • Which contest you are entering (Beginner to Intermediate or Intermediate to Advanced)
      • The “name” of your creation, could be anything from CCL V9428 to CCL’s Hippie throwback – Keep in mind that this is the name we will use in the poll for voting.
      • The “new thing” – fabric, pattern, technique etc.
  • 01-01-19 through 01-14-18: Everyone can vote on their favorites in the two polls –in the Beginner to Intermediate and the Intermediate to Advanced threads.
  • 01-15-19: Winners announced
  • 01-31-19: - as soon as preferences for fabric vendors received, prizes awarded by end of January 2019

Below, I hope, is a link to the Dress Challenge Gallery.   And if I understood DL's instructions correctly, I will post polls for voting in each the two competition threads after everyone who is entering has posted their photos in the gallery.

2018 Dress Challenge Gallery
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:00:37 PM by CCL »

Offline kowgiirl.up

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2018, 06:28:56 PM »
Below, I hope, is a link to the Dress Challenge Gallery.

It looks like the link worked to me CCL  :applause2:

Editing to add; this is so cool that we have this capability to post photos! I'm excited to see what everyone has been working on.
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2018, 04:52:57 PM »
OhIndygo, your dress is so nice. You are getting two different looks by using it under the pinnafore!
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com