Author Topic: SWAP 2019 Pre-Rules Discussion  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Medea

• You'll find my Wardrobe Diary at
SWAP 2019 Pre-Rules Discussion
« on: October 01, 2018, 01:53:15 PM »
I check in here at SG once an hour and look for the Pre-Rules Discussion and long for it. Then I thought that I can start this thread myself. I don't think it's too early as there have been earlier threads started at the end of August 2015 and the latest was at the 10th of October 2012.

I found this and filled in the missing dates:

SWAP 2018: Oct. 9 '17
SWAP 2017: Oct. 6 '16
SWAP 2016: Aug 27 '15
SWAP 2015: Sep 18 '14
SWAP 2014: Oct. 14 '13
SWAP 2013: Oct 10 '12
SWAP 2012: Sep. 1 '11
SWAP 2011: Sep 3 '10

I've already started to make up different plans for a possible SWAP Wardrobe for me but then it's the rules that will make the final decision.
Will you join the SWAP 2019?

I'm at Instagram @ medeasgarderob (Medea's Wardrobe)

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
Re: SWAP 2019 Pre-Rules Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 02:50:36 PM »
Thanks Medea - I always look forward to it, but I'm not sure we even have a volunteer to run it yet for the coming year  ;D

This year I think I will designate myself as an official cheerleader instead of looking as if I am going to take part !

Perhaps we could have a pom pom making contest. . .
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 04:59:43 PM »
Good post, Medea.  I so loved your SWAP sewing last year.

I am alas, still plugging away on my SLOW slow SLOW sewing 2018 swap, so am not sure what, if anything, I am going to do for 2019.   I still have one or two pieces left to do on the turtle paced swap sewing.  But am, like Lisanne, totally excited to see everyone's plans taking shape.

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 06:19:47 PM »
I love all the excitement and talk.  Enjoy the final presentations but havent participated since my first one brought me to SG.

I too will be cheering from the sidelines and happily offering unwanted advice.
sdBev

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 06:53:07 PM »
really curious to find out what we end up deciding on for the "rules" for this coming SWAP... not sure I will participate, depends on how the plan intersects with my actual sewing needs for the next year, as some sets of rules work well, and others would be a real stretch to find any points of contact. Personally I prefer rules that specify a limited number of colors, but leave garment types more open ended, but I know that is just my personal wardrobe quirk, since I must be one of only a few people who don't prefer to wear "separates"
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »
If anyone wants to volunteer to run the contest this year, just send me a message. :)
The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

======================

Check out my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons & other craft supplies:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline treefrog

• SWAP Addict :-)
    • sew Treefrog
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 06:58:10 AM »
Medea - SNAP!  I've been watching out for this thread too!  I'm glad you started it.  Would love to know what your plans are.

indigotiger  I'm thinking along the same lines as you.  I've found I work better with the colour themed SWAPS.  Maybe that is because I'm so challenged with colours that it makes me stop and think about how things work together.  Although I wear separates, I find it difficult to work in the "outer" layers like jackets and the like as there are only a few months of the year I'd wear them and it tends to rule out a lot of tops that don't work under them.

It's always so much fun to see everyone's plans though

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 12:11:29 AM »
ooh, can't wait! I am actually thinking about what I might include and how to stretch my sewing this year.
Wendy

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 10:26:03 PM »
I was thinking about SWAP rules, and how I would combine several of my former favorites, in a way that would probably work for my own sewing needs, but still be useful for others... It was harder than I thought!

My idea would be - two "sets" of three coordinated garments that each make up a wearable outfit, two "accent" pieces that would work with either (or both) of the sets, two "wildcard" pieces, and one piece that works with all the possible combinations, for a total of eleven pieces. The usual allowances: one piece already sewn, one piece RTW, and one piece sewn between the announcement and the start of SWAP.

Here is how I imagine it could work for a regular wardrobe: one outfit of jeans, a tee shirt, and a cardigan; one outfit of a skirt, a tunic top and leggings; an accent knit top, and blouse; a casual jacket, and wildcards of a dress, and a pair of trousers, or an additional tee shirt.

If, as in previous SWAP years, the colors of each coordinated set of three were kept close together in hue, and in addition were ones that worked together well, the result could be a very versatile capsule wardrobe

(for my own version, there would be two coordinated outfits of pinafore, top/blouse, and underdress; two additional blouses, a pair of leggings, and two wildcard dresses...)

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline Saashka

• Subscribed Member
  • sewing in southern Maryland
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 12:01:10 AM »
I would like to see SWAP rules that don’t require three-piece outfits because so many people don’t wear them (climate, strong preference for dresses, other reasons...). With colors, maybe have a minimum or not even that - the spectrum runs the gamut from people who are perfectly happy in monochromatic neutral outfits to those who wear the whole colorwheel all at once. It would be nice to have previous rules as examples for those who need to be provided some structure, but otherwise I’d like to see collections that make sense for the wearer’s real life. And they could come with a short write-up of how the collection came to be.

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 12:06:03 AM »
Sounds like a good plan Indigotiger.   One thing I would suggest would be to allow for more than one outfit to be created from the "sets".  That way it might work better for those who prefer dresses or don't wear layers. 

Say if you made the set, "3 items to give at least one outfit" but still using a common colour.  That would open it up to allowing more combinations and different outfits. 
    E.g
    • 3 dresses/jumpsuit --> 3 outfits
    • 2 dresses/jumpsuit with a topper --> 3 or 4 outfits
    • 2 tops and a bottom --> 3 outfits
    • 1 top and 2 bottoms --> 3 outfits
    • a layered set that could be worn with and without one of the layers -> 2 outfits
    • a layered set --> 1 outfit

Would that work for you?

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 12:11:39 AM »
It would be nice to have previous rules as examples for those who need to be provided some structure, but otherwise I’d like to see collections that make sense for the wearer’s real life. And they could come with a short write-up of how the collection came to be.
:) Oooh, I like your thinking.  Kind of choose your own adventure!  I think it quite fun to create your own rules, or use one of the previous year's rules that worked for you.  Certainly, it would be fun to see how others plan their own collections

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 12:41:06 AM »
OK, I'm going to put an idea out there.  It's a little radical, but it is in line with "sewing with a plan" and making the most of your existing wardrobe.  I'm also hoping it might avoid making doubling up on garments that fit in the rules, or making things don't end up being worn much.

It starts with having a really close look at what you currently have or don't have
  • what is missing - a colour, a style, a particular item ( eg olive, boho, dressing gown)
  • what needs to be replaced eg it is about to wear out or doesn't fit well
  • is there a garment you love and you'd like to make again, or some variation
  • is there an event coming up that you need something specific for - a wedding, Christmas party, holiday
  • orphaned garments that need a friend or two

Then turning the wishlist into a sewing plan

So the plan would be in 2 parts
  • New capsule - 5 items: at least 4 outfits  This is were you add in your new colour, revam with latest style, something for the new season, holiday capsule, a new work capsule etc
  • 6 wildcards  These can be anything item that you've identified from the previous list.  Doesn't need to work with the capsule or other wildcard.  But does need to fill a gap.  Eg that dressing gown, a cocktail dress, replacing worn out LBD, use pattern 1234 again as it looks so good on you, a couple of tops that go with the orphaned coloured jeans

:) I said it was radical.  But there is scope there to do a traditional swap and lots of wriggle room in terms of colour and garment type.  I'm hoping it may also entice some people in that don't see themselves completing a full blown wardrobe.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:44:35 AM by treefrog »

Offline sharonspils

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 01:23:44 AM »
I'm so glad I'm not the only one logging on frequently to see what the rules are this year, so thank you Medea.

Treefrog your thoughts are radical but I can see them working as I know it would work for me.

I am currently surrounded by curtains, still have 4 more windows to do but at last there is no more pattern matching to be done for the smaller windows.

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 01:26:24 AM »
 :thumbsup: :applause2:
I have to say, treefrog, that I love the way you think! I guess I was sort of stuck in the box of "how it has always been done" more than I realised. I would be just plain DELIGHTED if the guidelines you posted were the actual rules for SWAP 2019. That sort of guidelines would basically describe how I would be able to fill in my wardrobe gaps and do some experimental/new direction sewing, while still having the eleven pieces fit well into my existing wardrobe. Indeed, I cannot imagine that those "rules" wouldn't work for pretty much anyone.

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 03:14:29 AM »
As DL mentioned elsewhere I've agreed to be the coordinator again this year though I'm afraid it will be difficult to find a better SWAP than last year.  Anyway, I'm paying attention to the comments.

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 09:37:48 AM »
Muscat, so delighted to hear you are coordinating it again.

When I looked at the rules from last  year, I thought they were great and had thought this year would be a great year to build on last year (or start this year). As you are the designer, you would need the opportunity to have more freedom to build on to what you have. You'd be looking at different colors, textures, and prints which would add depth to your wardrobe. You'd be filling in holes, replacing items that didn't work, or taking that star piece you made last year and building around it.

I'm hoping to start sewing again for myself. I am working on a TNT t-shirt and have two left sleeves and a packed up sewing room. I'm painting that room and hope to have it done this month along with two correct sleeves for the t-shirt.

Ann
Education is a journey not a race.

http://everythingsewing.blogspot.ca/

Offline Saashka

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 12:30:42 PM »
Ooh, treefrog, I like your idea! That would be a great way to sew with a plan and make clothes that fit one’s real life at the same time.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »
Thoughts re rules.
I live in a cool climate and wear 3 pieces most days (sometimes more). I don't wear dresses much. 'Classic' SWAP was always a bit short on layering pieces for my liking.
I enjoyed the sewing by colour rules and would like to do this again. I think one or two neutrals with one or two colours works well as it feels co-ordinated without being too limited.
I really struggled with the year it was co-ordinating pods of 3 with wild cards as it was too complex for me when planning.
I liked the concept that each of us is the designer and felt that cut through a lot of the questions in the grey areas. It felt empowering and I loved the feeling of designing my own collection.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 09:34:44 PM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 07:52:55 PM »
As DL mentioned elsewhere I've agreed to be the coordinator again this year though I'm afraid it will be difficult to find a better SWAP than last year.  Anyway, I'm paying attention to the comments.

Mudcat, so pleased that you will be coordinator again this year.  I am still sewing on last year's swap - your 'rules' were the perfect blend of do-able for me plus with the added advantage of helping me stretch a bit working with "new to me" fabrics.  So thank you for such a great job! 

Treefrog - I like your ideas!  I was thinking that there was no way I could do a 2019 SWAP if I ever finish the 2018 version (actually have the 11 garments - but still want to get that green challis wool made up).  I have a lot of orphan sewing projects that I would like to pay attention to, but with some radical ideas, perhaps I could fit the pieces into a plan.

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 11:45:46 PM »
Thanks for the lovely comments on my plan.  I was a little worried that it might be a little too left field.  A couple of weeks ago I did a major clean out of my wardrobe and made a list of what I really needed and what I didn't.   I'd like to add yellow in as an accent colour - something bright and cheery.

Mudcat, thanks for putting your hand up to be the coordinator again.  I'm looking forward to seeing the rules when they come out.  Any hints on when that might be?

Sharon
- Your curtains sound like a huge job, but you must be excited. I bet they will be a joy to live with for a long time.  I'm expecting new curtains in a couple of weeks.  I've taken the easy route as my best friend runs a curtain/blinds business

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2018, 12:36:11 AM »
I would like to see SWAP rules that don’t require three-piece outfits because so many people don’t wear them (climate, strong preference for dresses, other reasons...). With colors, maybe have a minimum or not even that - the spectrum runs the gamut from people who are perfectly happy in monochromatic neutral outfits to those who wear the whole colorwheel all at once. It would be nice to have previous rules as examples for those who need to be provided some structure, but otherwise I’d like to see collections that make sense for the wearer’s real life. And they could come with a short write-up of how the collection came to be.

I would absolutely vote for this! While I live in colder climate, my real life outer layer tends to be a winter jacket, and I remove it as soon as I enter the office or home or as a guest when visiting others, or when I go for shopping. The third layer just doesn't work for me.

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2018, 01:00:22 PM »

It starts with having a really close look at what you currently have or don't have
  • what is missing - a colour, a style, a particular item ( eg olive, boho, dressing gown)
  • what needs to be replaced eg it is about to wear out or doesn't fit well
  • is there a garment you love and you'd like to make again, or some variation
  • is there an event coming up that you need something specific for - a wedding, Christmas party, holiday
  • orphaned garments that need a friend or two

Then turning the wishlist into a sewing plan

So the plan would be in 2 parts
  • New capsule - 5 items: at least 4 outfits  This is were you add in your new colour, revam with latest style, something for the new season, holiday capsule, a new work capsule etc
  • 6 wildcards  These can be anything item that you've identified from the previous list.  Doesn't need to work with the capsule or other wildcard.  But does need to fill a gap.  Eg that dressing gown, a cocktail dress, replacing worn out LBD, use pattern 1234 again as it looks so good on you, a couple of tops that go with the orphaned coloured jeans

I love this idea! I could really see this working for a lot of people.
Wendy

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2018, 06:00:35 AM »
I am wondering if our Fearless SWAP coordinator (thank you mudcat, for taking on the task again) will be announcing the rules at the end of October, like last year?, or possibly earlier?? Just for fun, I made myself a new plan for 2019 (based on the rules for 2018), and wrote it out on my blog post, for future reference and inspiration...

Once again I have come up with a Very Elaborate idea for a new cardigan for 2019, this one will be made from some handwoven (not by me) fulled wool, with handknit multicolor sleeves. If it fits into the 2019 SWAP, I will start knitting the sleeves as soon as the rules are announced, since I also have an already made item I plan on including.

Offline Medea

• You'll find my Wardrobe Diary at
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2018, 09:45:23 AM »
So fun that it wasn't only me longing for a SWAP discussion.

I'm so glad that Mudcat is our coordinator again. Thanks!  :applause2:

I hope that there will be rules as good as last year or even better. I think Treefrog's idea is fun and we'll see what Mudcat will decide.

Just like you Indigotiger, I've started making plans for swap 2019 and if it suits the rules I can start preparing.
I'm at Instagram @ medeasgarderob (Medea's Wardrobe)

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 09:54:12 PM »
I will post them at the end of the month ... probably the 28th since it's a Sunday and I don't have much time during the week.

I can assure you there will be no pods.  It will have the same type of flexibility as last year in regards to what garments are made.

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 03:31:57 AM »
Anymore ideas???

Offline Philippa

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 08:32:29 AM »
Treefrog's idea is brilliant - my entire wardrobe needs an overhaul due to various factors, and the plan looks logical.  I have already looked at The Vivienne Files 'How to build a capsule wardrobe' for colour and style inspiration, and am hoping to build a 5-piece around a favourite silk scarf.  If planned well that could yield 8 outfits from the 5 items.  The 6 wildcards will pull everything together nicely and result in a small but perfectly curated wardrobe - made easier by the fact that I wear a limited range of colours.
http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2016/10/a-starting-from-scratch-wardrobe-first.html/

Offline Lisa Laree

• Subscribed Member
    • Sew Random
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »
If 'SWAP' means Sewing With A Plan...always before, the Plan has been strictly defined by The Rules (in the beginning, it was what was set up by that article in Stitches magazine).  But...what if we each defined our own 'Plan'... some might use Vivienne files for inspiration; some might use the old Stitches plan, others may invent their own.  But each person would have to define their own plan and expected outcome (ie, 'I need a new core wardrobe...my old black wardrobe has gotten too small/large/washerworn...so I'm going to make a Core of four from black, a Core of Four from Gray, and add three tops that provide some color and will go with them all' or 'I love dresses!  I need a week's worth of dresses to wear to work, plus a couple of jackets to wear with them.  I'll add a pair of pants and three tops for casual wear.' etc.)  It would, however, be hard to objectively vote since the usual criteria of sticking to the brief really wouldn't apply....we'd have to vote based on how well the contestant stuck to her plan, or how well she adapted it if she ran into obstacles that made her first plan unworkable or unnecessary...sudden change in job, lifestyle, unavailability of some key component, etc.

The chief benefit of a clearly structured SWAP is that it is easy to vote for winners, based on whether or not they fulfilled the criteria.  But that's not necessarily good for anyone's personal closet.

ETA: Just realized there was a second benefit...it pulls a lot of the decision making out of one's head.  The whole idea behind SWAP, in the beginning, was to create a new capsule wardrobe in a very short time.

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2018, 05:25:17 PM »
I've been thinking about this a bit and I have to admit I am having a problem wrapping my head around the concept of wildcards that don't work with something in the core.  It feels like it's getting away from the original idea of SWAP though I do have an idea of how to deal with it on a smaller scale.

I need more convincing.  >:D

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2018, 06:49:16 PM »
I came up with a modification of my former idea, that I like even better.... instead:  two "sets" of three, or three "sets" of two coordinated garments, or six dresses (basically six garments in whatever configuration works), two "accent" pieces that would work with either (or all) of the sets, and three "wildcard" pieces. The usual allowances: one piece already sewn, one piece RTW, and one piece sewn between the announcement and the start of SWAP. The colors, textures, and patterned fabrics you choose should all work together in a way that gives a cohesive "look". Imagine that you are a designer and this is your "collection". These combinations should allow for those who want all dresses, and those who wear separates and or multiple layers, (as well as my own unique wardrobe needs).

Offline Saashka

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2018, 09:58:52 PM »
Well, the true core should be the wearer. In that sense, all pieces should work for the wearer and look like a cohesive wardrobe, like the clothes belong in the same closet (or suitcase). Janice has been expanding her Start with Art/Scarf series and sending her heroines all over the place on various missions (formal workplace, casual workplace, fancy dinner, cozy cottage getaway, night at the opera, etc). You wouldn’t necessarily wear the opera dress with the casual cardigan or winter slippers but they would have a common thread that makes it clear they belong to the same person.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2018, 10:23:42 PM »
For me the collection needs to have a common colour palette and the same season/ dressiness otherwise the clothes actually don't work together as outfits.
I did one which had some summer and winter pieces in together and it looked fine in photos but was not good in real life.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 06:00:41 PM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2018, 03:31:36 PM »
Thanks, mudcat, for volonteering again as SWAP Coordinator!  :applause2:

More ideas:

1. Silhouette: choose one (or two) true to you outfit silhouettes (in my case:casual pants, top, cardigan) and sew 8-11 items for this. 1-3 wildcards (like a third layer raincoat or a dress that works with a layer, but is not part of the usual silhouette). *** You could choose the number of type of garments as needed. So if you've got enough pants, you could sew just ONE more and stick to other garment types. Fill in your wardrobe holes... ***

2. Basically as in 'start with art': choose your colour scheme and sew anything within it. No restrictions concerning prints, unpatterened etc fabric or garment types. Must yield a certain number of outfits.

3. 'Big bang': start with one outfit (whatever), sew single garments that go with any one garment of one original outfit set. So your collection 'expands' outward from the original outfit. This could become a collection (eg. if you stick to a certain colour and silhouette theme), but could also be a loose collection of garments, that all nevertheless have some other piece to wear it with.

4. Choose one 'theme' for your SWAP (like Ruthies 'angled' one year - or maybe glitz, or frills, or embellishments, or 40's, or stars, or buttons, or blue, or wool, or beach, or pineapple or movie star (I am sure you come up with much better ideas)) and present 11 garments featuring that theme.

You can tell I rather like SWAPs that have loose rules concerning the number and type of garments to be made.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:40:21 PM by Morzel »
Eva

Offline peggyjo

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2018, 04:39:37 PM »
3. 'Big bang': start with one outfit (whatever), sew single garments that go with any one garment of one original outfit set. So your collection 'grows' outward from the original outfit. This could become a collection (eg. if you stick to a certain colour and silhouette theme), but could also be a loose collection of garments, that all nevertheless have some other piece to wear it with.

Ooooh, Morzel, I love this!  SWAP or not, I may give this a go!  It appeals to my need to stop planning and start sewing.   :applause2: