Author Topic: Sharing, Inspiration and Project Photos XXV  (Read 82643 times)

Offline Elona

Re: Sharing, Inspiration and Project Photos XXV
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 01:40:50 AM »
Great outfit, Patti!

Offline Jacs

• My blog
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 08:22:53 AM »
Fidelia I love your skirts and the dressing gown is a fantasy made real I love the gather detail at the shoulders.

PattiB a superb rendition of the Liberty and Sorbetto - they look amazing and the big smile on your face says volumes!!!

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »
Patti fantastic set in that ikat. the pattern combination really works

Offline Patti B

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2012, 02:47:44 PM »
Thanks so much (Ann, Marcia, Sharon/shams, Linda, Elizaabeth, Sharon, KathrynT, Fidelia, Karendee, Elona, Jacs and Betsy) for your kind words! I already love this top and it's nice to be validated by y'all. If you own this pattern but haven't sewn it, it is such a pleasure to sew with excellent drafting and instructions (some of us need them).

Offline Moodene

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2012, 04:46:44 PM »
Ok, I was sent to the right direction to show off some of the Newborn boutique clothing I make for a shop near me..I been lurking on this site abit and just join yesterday.

last photo these young ladies are my granddaughters by a young lady who adopted me..lol.. I make alot of their boutique clothes as well..This is their Halloween pic.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2012, 05:10:16 PM »
Patti, your jacket and top are amazing!

Moodene, those are so cute.

I'm sharing a version of Pamela's Patterns #104 today.  This is not only my go to pattern, but I use it to check ease and lengths with new patterns.  I can cut and sew PP104 in under 2 hours.  This one took a bit more because of the trim.
I blogged about it here

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2012, 05:24:52 PM »
Modeen - you made it - glad you posted over here so others can see your beautiful clothes for little ones.

Bev - I like your top - like the "pleats' across the front.  Off to read your blog.
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline Moodene

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2012, 05:29:02 PM »
Thank you-sdBev.. I just finished 2 of these chair cushions for a 8 yr young lady who wanted a cupcake theme for her room..This was a doozy until I found the right cushions to work with..These have those slits in the middle so I folded fabric into it to create the folds I wanted..We  both worked on her designs for her cushions plus her room and she picked out the 2 trims-Hot pink and brown for the edge. Then she pick out the Hot Pink ribbon to tie the cushions to her metal chairs. She is learning to do alot of her own designs that she wants for herself in clothing and I sew them..lol..This is another young lady(known her since the day she was born) who adopted me as a mentor to teach her sewing this coming summer. I told her last year to get a blank drawing tablet and color  pencils and draw what she wanted in clothing..she now has 2 tablets full..

Top of cushion

Side view to show her ribbon ties

Offline KathrynT

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2012, 08:45:56 PM »
Bev, I really like your self made ruffle.  It lifts the simple top out of the ordinary.

Cute things Moodene.

Offline Soupdragon

• The Material Lady
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2012, 09:04:20 PM »
Patti - I love your tops. They are just wonderful (and I love the fabrics!)

Moodene - if I had anyone small to sew for I would be stealing ideas. So cute.

Bev your blue top is very pretty - I must use tucking on one of my SAM. Hope it looks as good as this!

Offline tumblina

• Beginner's Sewing Mentor
    • Knits and Wovens
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2012, 09:25:01 PM »
Moodene - those outfits are adorable, and your 8 year old designer has great taste!

Bev - that top is perfect - can go anywhere!

I finally got some sewing done - my dress for our department winter banquet. My friend was shocked when I couldn't come to her 2pm hair appointment because I was still working on it. I finished at 3:30 for a 6:30 banquet, I thought that I was in really good time!

Reworking from another dress is not without it's headaches, but when else are you going to get a 100% silk dress for the cost of a zipper and bias binding? (And then only when your mom gifts you the dress she got at an estate sale - she's awesome for finding materials!)

To:

Pattern:

BurdaStyle 5/2011 Dress with an a-line skirt (Burda is so inventive with their names :P)

I didn't get any full-body shots last night, but the flash does bring out the colour a little more, even if it washes me out (I had make-up on, honest!)

The front neckline is from the original dress. I tweaked the back neckline to fit the shoulders and the new zipper (sigh - I didn't think that one through, so needed to put in another one: invisible this time though!). I used bias binding for the armholes, although the curve they are at, that was severely pushing the limits of bias stretch. I rescued the hem tape from the original dress to use again on this hem. The original dress was underlined with lining fabric, so I just cut everything out with fabric+lining and serged each piece around all edges (that border fabric had metal threads, and unravelled like crazy!), and treated them as one. The bottom side panel I had to do in pieces to get it all on the border, but that also allowed me to almost line up the first stripe on the bottom of the front and back - I didn't have enough room on the original dress not to have any border on those panels.

As I said in my blog post, the finished dress wasn't quite what I was expecting. DH likes it though, and it's beginning to grow more on me now that I see what it is rather than what I was aiming for (which was more Audrey Hepburn than Mod).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:30:23 PM by tumblina »

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2012, 09:30:12 PM »
Looks like a great dress to me.  Nice fabric - good find!
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'

Offline KathrynT

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2012, 10:40:37 PM »
Gorgeous, Tumblina, and a great fit!

Offline LynnH

• Me at 10
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2012, 02:25:01 AM »
I finally got the photos uploaded from the camera to share the fleece jacket I made for DM as her Christmas present.

It is Thunder Bay from Great Copies.  I had seen it at the fashion show during the Original Quilt and Sewing Expo in September and just knew it would suit her.  What I didn't appreciate was the challenges of designing an art piece.  First of all - selecting and ordering the fleece fabric for the two tone jacket.  Then I had to decide what color of ribbons.  Next up - what style of decoration - if any.  Finally how to make the whole thing pop.  I figured it would take two weeks.  It took over a month to get it fully completed.  I started at the end of October and shipped it just before Christmas.

First - the inspiration:

My rendition - as modeled by DS (Since DM lives out of state):

And the shoulder detail - which shows a sampling of the detail I ended up adding and extending the entire construction time as I wanted to make it all look special:

Lynn

Offline joycep

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2012, 02:38:03 AM »
What a pretty jacket, LynnH. I love the little dragonflies on the shoulder! It must have been a hit with your DM. Your son is an awesome sport to model it - kudos to him!

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2012, 02:51:55 AM »
Lynn That just gorgeoue.

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2012, 02:57:51 AM »
Lynn - what an awesome jacket.  I'm sure your DM is like mine and loves to have you make things for her.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Jacs

• My blog
    • My blog
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2012, 10:11:28 AM »
Jenna I love your refashioning - the fabric looks awesome and the finished dress looks great.  I think you are very lucky to have a mum who has such a good eye for potential. 

Offline Patti B

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2012, 02:44:12 PM »
Jenna, great job of repurposing that lovely fabric. It's interesting how it takes us a moment or two to adjust to the final garment instead of the garment we have in our mind's eye. And I think that finishing 3 hrs before liftoff is plenty of time!  ;D

Lynn, first, I love your DS for his willingness to model! Then, your jacket for your mom is very special and she will love wearing it and thinking of you. The sewing was probably the easy part; it's the creative decisions that take forever.

Offline KathrynT

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »
Lynn, good on your son!!!  Great photo and nice jacket too.

Offline lisap

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2012, 02:08:06 PM »
Lynn what a good sport your son is  ;D

I just finished the blouse from the Burdastyle sewing handbook. I think I might make a few of these with variations on thye pattern.
T

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2012, 02:40:23 PM »
Nice top - what a great pattern.  Thanks for sharing.  Off to look at your blog,

Offline lisap

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »
Tumbelina I love the faric that you made your dress from. That is one of my all time favourite colours, it's quite a close match for the fabric Burda used.

Moodene those little outfits are so fun !

SdBev I love the horizontal pleats , a very nice top.

Patti I love your outfit , the combination of fabrics is beautiful.

Fidelia I love the robe and your skirts are lovely too. ( especially the 5th one down)

Sharon very nice work , those tops are so pretty. The first one really looks great with your colouring.

T

Offline PattiH

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2012, 07:07:02 PM »
Very pretty blouse, Lisa.  It turned out well.

PattiH

Offline Soupdragon

• The Material Lady
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2012, 07:50:10 PM »
What a fabulous use of a beautiful fabric Tumbelina - how lucky your mum found it.

Lisa that is a very pretty blouse - I can see why you would want to make more!

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »
Lots of lovely things here - I always enjoy visiting.
I'm still not dressmaking - nothing I've seen recently has said "make-me" - but, as always, I have been knitting.

Detail

This is a cardigan from Rowan Magazine 36, 2005.
I used Rowan Tweed, nearly black -it's come out much lighter in the photo. It nearly drove me mad!
It's ages since I made anything black and I must admit that old eyes, artificial light and black is not a very good combination. But I got there in the end...
It's a great pattern, internal darts front and back and shaped side seams give a great fit.
Interesting construction details too - exposed seams on the two-piece sleeves and the CB and a contrast whipped edging.
More here if you're interested.

I am doing some sewing... a block-of-the-month quilt - A Kitten's Tale, by Lynette Anderson

This is my first block....
Block 1 Under the Tree. a combination of patchwork, appliqué and embroidery.

Offline Stephie

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2012, 04:44:51 PM »
Wonderful things as usual Ann,
I am always so pleased to see you showing us the results. :)

Terry

Offline LynnH

• Me at 10
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
joycep, sdBev, marciae, Patti B, KathrynT, Lisap - thank you for the kind comments.
The dragonflies are actually buttons that I found at JoAnn Fabrics.
My DS volunteered to try on the jacket - I didn't even ask.  He grabbed the jacket from the sewing table, put it on and told me to take a photo.  I have to admit he is making nice since he wants winter weight motorcycle pants.

Lisap – I like your BurdaStyle handbook blouse
Lynn

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
Ann - what a beautiful jacket - just gorgeous.  I like you block also.  You've been busy.

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2012, 12:02:02 AM »
Tumblina great remake of that beautiful dress
Lynn fabulous jacket and isn't your DS nice to model it, even if he does have an ulterior motive
Lisa very pretty blouse
Ann as usual I am awed by your knitting. The jacket is wonderful. Is the edging knit or wrapped around?

Offline Bunny

• La Sewist
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2012, 11:32:39 AM »
The clothing is flying fast and furious here. Somehow I missed this post and want to acknowledge everyone and their wonderful work.

Ann, that jacket is exquisite. I need to google Rowan Tweed, not familiar with that one. Your kitty quilt is precious.

Great top for spring, Lisa. Hopefully it will be here soon.

That jacket is wonderful, Lynn. Your mom will stylish and cozy warm in this one.

Awesome refashion, Jenna. It would be a crime to not remake such beautiful fabric and you did a great job with it. Gorgeous color on you.

Moodene, your boutique clothing certainly has signature style. My granddaughter is always asking me for this type of look with all its wondrous color combos. You've definitely capture what little girls like to wear.

Here's my latest project, a felted bag I made for a friend. There's lots more info on the blog. I get into the construction over several posts. Its a true refashion. The pink is from a GAP sweater picked up at the local thrift and then felted once I got it home. It was an extra large and I just barely had enough to make this bag. The lining is from a ten year old silk skirt that I long ago stopped wearing but always kept because the fabric was so nice. The only thing never used is the hand dyed wool for the flowers and appliques. I even braided the cording and front facings to make the handle. I think from an upcycle vantage point this was a success.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:35:09 AM by Bunny »

Offline joycep

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2012, 04:12:24 PM »
What a charming bag! You have a very lucky friend.

And how lucky for us that you blogged about the details. Thank you for sharing all of that information - lots to use for those of us in (should be!) cold climates. Not this winter, but usually...

Offline teddylyn

• Lyn's Stuff
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »
I agree, Bunny!  What a clever use of a thrifted sweater--so creative and attractive!  I love your label as well!

Lynda

Offline Karendee

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2012, 06:47:23 PM »
Lovely work, Bunny! And look how cute your labels are.

Karen

Offline Moodene

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2012, 12:19:02 AM »
I want to thank everyone for the kinds words about the little girl's boutique clothing I make. Now I am fixing to get into making newborn baby girl clothing for my unborn granddaughter which will be born in April hopefully that my daughter carries her that long. My daughter is prone to having her babies 2 to 3 months early..I just can see my granddaughter in all the baby girl clothes I made for my daughter when she was tiny as well. I saved 90% of all my baby clothes that I wore when I was baby for my daughter to wear and now passing it down to my granddaughter.  The reason this little girl is so special because we haven't had a girl baby born in the family for 25 years now..All boys!! My 90 year old daddy said it is about darn time!  He is a 4 time great grandpa..still going strong...

So thank you again for the comments..will be posting more pics of stuff I make..

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics