Author Topic: Easy quilt patterns for new-ish quilter  (Read 1621 times)

Offline kjh9835

Easy quilt patterns for new-ish quilter
« on: January 04, 2012, 05:44:53 AM »
I have made two twin patchwork quilts and two king size patchwork quilts as well as several super sized nine patch baby quilts. The first twin one was in early 2000-2001 or so, I sewed a bunch of squares together, sandwiched a blanket in and used a flat sheet for the backing, wrapped it around the edges for the binding and stitched it down. I did not do any "quilting" on the actual blanket. I made curtains, dust ruffles, pillows, etc to match (kids room).

Then I did a king plus size quilt in brown tones and had it machine quilted thru the senior citizens center. When it wore out, I made a teal king plus size in one weekend (2009) and having moved, found another lady to do the machine quilting. I currently have a queen bed but like the larger size quilt, our king size bed is in storage. She is now working on the last twin top I just finished for dd19, done in black/white.

All 4 of them are nothing but squares I sewed together having made the alternating blocks on graph paper, buying the fabric, cutting the squares and laying them out to make sure I liked the look before sewing them together. It's probably an actual design, what do I know?

Lately I've been doing baby quilts, I'm going to try free motion quilting (instead of just in the ditch) on them later this month and see if I like doing it and the overall finished product. I'm also practicing making and putting on binding, each one is better than the last.

I'm thinking I want to do another larger one with an actual pattern/design other than just cut squares stitched together. Squares, strips, maybe a border? I don't really even know what to look for and when I Google images, I'm overwhelmed! Maybe quilt each block and then sew them together since I can't do a large quilt myself?

Recommended books? websites? blogs? I want to figure what which one to do and get supplies by the end of the month when I go back to JoAnn's. I also found a quilters store in the same town and plan to browse there too.

Kathy

Offline Pina

Re: Easy quilt patterns for new-ish quilter
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 06:30:16 AM »
Maybe you see something you like in this SG free quilt patterns topic.  ;)

Offline mlsa

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 01:42:08 PM »
Good Morning Kathy

Here is one of my favorite sites.   http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html

It must have a thousand patterns or a lot anyway.  The instructions are very good.  I just scroll through until I find a pattern I like....read the instructions and if it's something I want to try I go for it.  I've made several of the patterns and they all turned really great.

Offline kjh9835

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:00:56 PM »
Thank you both. There are just so many out there and I have yet to find a site that sorts them by skill level. Prob. b/c "my" easy skill level is different than "your" easy skill level. Even so, there should be a way to figure out what I should or should not attempt just yet.. There are many that I like but I can tell from looking at the design that they are not for me, yet anyway.

I'll look around some more tonight. I've got to finish 2011's UFO's before I start anything new.

Kathy

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 02:12:45 PM »
Take a look at the Oh! Fransson website: 
http://www.ohfransson.com/  I've done a couple of hers and they turned out great.  Not an expert here, by any means, btw. 
And welcome to SG.

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 05:08:53 PM »
The great thing about all the patterns on the web is that many do show the skill level.  There are also so many out there that you can't possibly make them all in your lifetime.  None of us can.  From simple, all the way up to difficult. 

Putting your design on graph paper is a great tool/idea.  I often do that when I want to adjust the size of a block or pattern I already have, but is in the wrong size for the project I have in mind.  I make notes about what I size I want each block, what size the border will need to be, etc and with a baby quilt, the whole thing fits on the graph paper easily. 

A couple of patterns I tend to suggest to relative newbies that would be great when you want to try free motion, would be something like a log cabin or a rail fence.  Both patterns are easy to find on-line, are wonderful for baby quilts and free motion is a fantastic way to quilt each of these.  The rail fence is really good because you can so easily adjust the size of the "rails" to get any size block you want and you can change them up by either adding more rails to each block or by changing the placement of fabrics/colors.  It's a very versatile block. 
Laurie H

http://my.inbox.com/photos/missjean/index.aspx   password is 'photos'

Offline kjh9835

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 02:44:58 PM »
something like a log cabin or a rail fence

I had both of those marked as "possibles" so it's great to know that they are easy enough. The links are great, I hope to do more online searching and figuring out fabrics this weekend. Work has been crazy so didn't get much done sewing wise this past week.

dd19 said if I took pics of the fabrics I want to use and saved them, she could make up the blocks on photo-editing software so I know what it will look like when done. I knew I bought her that program for Christmas for a reason :) I just wish she had been home from college long enough to teach me how to use it.

Kathy

Offline JaneStitcher

• My blog: Cut the Scraps!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 07:09:13 PM »
Kathy, I don't know your location but Amazon (both in the US and the UK) has a book "Traditional Patchwork Quilt Patterns with Plastic Templates: Instructions for 27 Easy-to-Make Designs" by Rita Weiss that is great. Not fancy and written in the 1980s, but it is exactly what it says: traditional patterns, easy to make, and the plastic templates are really helpful. It's not expensive and the designs are extremely easy to follow.

Hope that helps.

Jane

Offline Joybell

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »
Here is a really easy pattern that is about the same level as what you were doing. I have done this pattern twice and I consider it a beginner's pattern.

If you don't use plaids, it's even easier because you don't have to be extra carefull about cutting straight along the lines of the plaid.

http://www.quilterscache.com/S/ScotsPlaidBlock.html

Singer 221 Featherweight
Singer 127 Treadle
Singer 15-91 (x3)
Singer 301a
Elna TSP
Bernina 530-2

Offline kjh9835

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 03:23:57 AM »
I'm in the U.S. and buy from Amazon frequently. There's just so MANY books, blocks, patterns out there that I'm clueless as where to start easy enough to complete without giving up. I've made so many baby quilts lately that I'm getting bored.

Both dd's still at home bought their bedding ensembles and my quilt is not near ready to be replaced yet so I thought I'd do two for wedding gifts and maybe one for my mom. I've been reading about color values too.

Thanks for the book suggestion.

Kathy

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics