Author Topic: Downton Abbey  (Read 31336 times)

Offline Loomchick

• More about me
Re: Downton Abbey - Season 2 (possible spoilers)
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2012, 03:30:42 AM »
Interesting that Carson couldn't find Lavinia in the "peerage"   listings. 

I don't think he would find her there since her father is a "solicitor" and possibly not a peer or related to a peer . . . but, there's definitely a history there after seeing her with Sir Richard Carlisle.  I hope Aunt Rosamund digs deeper and finds what it is . . . and I hope it breaks off the engagement with Matthew and sends Sir Richard off into oblivion . . . he creeps me out and he's not the right man for Mary.  Oh, drama drama drama!

Every time I see "Cora",  I have flashbacks to Eliz. McG's role in 'Ordinary People.'

Sometimes when I see Cora, I have flashbacks to her with Kevin Bacon in She's Having a Baby describing the things she had done to help them conceive a child . . . e.g., pouring the wine, positioning the pillows, and putting some ballgame on the television as he's slowly dropping his trousers.  I thought it was funny.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:32:19 AM by Loomchick »
Robyn

"Your attitude about who you are and what you have is a very little thing that makes a very big difference."  -  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Purple Peril

Re: Downton Abbey
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 08:19:10 AM »
I am lucky in that being in the UK I have seen both series and the Christmas special! I was also lucky enough to see some of the costumes in October, and they were at great pains to explain that all the fabrics were 'vintage' or reclaimed, in order to make the dresses as authentic as possible; including darning and repaired areas on Robert's Mother's dress (as she was less well-to-do).
Tina

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 02:26:02 PM »
When I streamed Downton Abbey Season 1 from Netflix, it was available in 7 one-hour episodes, and is the original BBC production.

I'm recording Season 2 so I can watch all the episodes back to back. I find it frustrating to wait a whole week before finding out what happens next! That means I may have to avoid this topic so as not to happen upon any spoilers until the season is over and I can have my own personal Downton Abbey fest.

It's a wonderful series. I'm so happy that Claudine started this topic; otherwise, I might not have known about it.

Kathryn

Offline Lynerwi

• Jill of Many Crafts--Master of None
  • My inspiration
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 02:51:53 PM »
This is one of those shows that even the DH is hooked on :-) My personal wish is that Thomas really gets what coming to him. Talk about a really nasty piece of work!

I also had questions about the couple on the farm, i.e.--married or related. Can you really see Edith marrying that far outside the acceptable marriage pool? While I think it would be the best thing for her, I just don't see it happening. Her parents would bundle her off to the continent first.
Dangerous when bored

Offline Gorgeous Things

• Beginner's Sewing Mentor
    • Gorgeous Fabrics
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 03:11:18 PM »
I dunno - soap operas love a good villain, and Thomas twirls his moustache so very well!
Regards Edith - you mean bundle her off to America, not the Continent, don't you? WW1 and all. :)  ;D

Ann
Proud sponsor of Stitchers Guild!
My store: http://www.gorgeousfabrics.com/
My blog: http://blog.gorgeousfabrics.com/

Offline Lynerwi

• Jill of Many Crafts--Master of None
  • My inspiration
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 03:17:18 PM »
Oops...yes, the states....not enough coffee for me to be posting yet *blush*
Dangerous when bored

Offline Mardella

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »
I watched the first season again just before the new one started so that I could do a better job of keeping all the characters straight.  I found that my sympathies changed the second time around.  I have much more liking for Lady Mary now than I did originally and less for Lady Edith.  Who can resist loving Lady Sybil?   The farmer that Edith was helping was the same man that Isobel Crawley saved in the hospital with the procedure of removing fluid from around his heart.  He definitely is a married man, so I don't know what Edith is thinking.  She just seems to crave attention anywhere she can find it.  Mary seems less hard now and more worthy of our sympathy.  It's as if she was playing a part to cover up her true feelings and now we are getting a glimpse of the true character.  Does anyone know if Thomas and O'Brien are related in some way?  Are they just friends and co-conspirators?  I don't have that relationship figured out yet.
Mardella

Offline Doris W. in TN

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »
I have much more liking for Lady Mary now than I did originally and less for Lady Edith. ...

The farmer that Edith was helping .... He definitely is a married man,...

Does anyone know if Thomas and O'Brien are related in some way?  Are they just friends and co-conspirators?

I liked Mary in S2/E1 much better than in Season 1.  Perhaps she is maturing (I hope.)

I have a feeling Edith won't be getting any better with her jealousies nor relationships.

I don't think Thomas and O'Brien are related at all, just two baddies that are cut from the same wicked cloth and able to commiserate with each other.

Posted by: Gorgeous Things
I dunno - soap operas love a good villain, and Thomas twirls his moustache so very well!

Well said, and you are so right! And we all love to hate Thomas and she-with-the-knitted-hair. ;)

Offline Claudine

• Photos
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2012, 12:21:29 AM »
I finally got around to watching Season 2, Episode 1 today!  What fun!  I think Lady Mary would be the perfect wife for Sir Richard Carlisle.  They each have something substantial to offer the other person.  He has money and excitement; she has her social standing.  These contributions are the kind of thing that will last their entire lives.  Of course, she won't marry him, but it will be fun finding out why.  I can't wait.

Lady Edith really does need something to do, doesn't she?  I hope she finds something soon.

I was surprised at the Dowager Countess's reaction to Lady Sybil wanting to be a nurse.  She was all for it from the start. 

I'm watching it streaming from pbs.org.  The quality is not good enough to see the details of the clothes.  I will watch it again when it's available on Netflix.

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2012, 12:51:18 AM »
I'm not reading the thread because I haven't started watching the second series yet, but I thought this slideshow would be of interest.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/downton-abbey-fashion-from-costume-to-the-runway/2012/01/05/gIQAkrrZfP_gallery.html

Offline cheetah

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2012, 01:00:50 AM »
Okay, I swore I wasn't going to check this thread anymore until I could see the second season, but as you can see, the temptation was too great. And boy, am I glad. Thanks Blue Mooney, for the link.

Offline adamc

• No Dogs on the Couch ! I mean it ! Off !
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2012, 01:50:42 AM »
DW is all over that........
For christmas i bought the Flambards DVD set... 
All of us (except DD) loved it...

I have always had a passion for BBC productions, and other british productions..
I think of the Avengers with Steed & Peel, No American TV could come close..
Of Course I'm a big Doctor Who fan.........
Has anyone seen the "New" BBC Sherlock holmes ?  good stuff imo..
almost as good as Jeremy Brett...
----------------------------------------------------------
The Trouble with Doing Nothing,
Is that you can't tell if you are finished.

Zalin

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2012, 03:50:04 AM »
I've seen the new Sherlock Holmes. You mean the one with Benedict Cumberbatch? I liked it very much but for some reason the season seemed very short. Did I miss a bunch or was it actually very short?

I'm a huge fan of BBC TV which I have become more exposed to through Netflix. Loved the Avengers back in the day. Was that originally BBC TV? Doctor Who is on our "to watch" list, but we haven't gone there yet. :)

Offline Purple Peril

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2012, 12:33:05 PM »
I've seen the new Sherlock Holmes. You mean the one with Benedict Cumberbatch? I liked it very much but for some reason the season seemed very short. Did I miss a bunch or was it actually very short?

it depends which series you mean; series 2 is airing in the UK at the moment ( we have had 2 episodes), but it is only 3 episodes long. If it's series 1, I hadn't 'cottoned on ' to it, so I don't know how many there were.
Tina

Offline sewsy

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 12:49:43 PM »

Has anyone seen the "New" BBC Sherlock holmes ?  good stuff imo..
almost as good as Jeremy Brett...

Yes! I was so glad to hear that there's going to be another season. The last episode with Moriarty looked like W&H (and Moriarty, for that matter) were goners.

My DM got me hooked on Jeremy Brett, he was indeed a fantastic Sherlock Holmes. Have you seen Rupert Everett as Holmes? He was pretty good, as well.

Offline SylviaS

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2012, 04:58:30 PM »
Glad you are all enjoying Downton as much as we did in the UK. I hope you get the Christmas Special too as that was a real treat.  I have to confess the Dowager is my favourite, Dame Maggie Smith is perfect.

Sylvia

Offline Mrs. Red Threads

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »
Hello everyone,
I am new here and have found this awesome post of things including Downton Abby. Here in the states we are also seeing season two episode 2 aired last night on our station PBS, Masterpiece theater. I found this last week and watched the first episode. I loved it. I will have to find a free place like hulu to see if I can catch up on season 1. Oh my goodness Dame Maggie Smith, did she not make a grand entrance on season 2 first episode. Some made a mention here about the cloths oh my are they not to die for. I just love the outfits. Dame Maggie's outfit on first episode was spectacular and she look just so fitting and lovely in it. I especially loved the hat on her. She is one of my all time favorites. Perfect for the part in Downton Abby.

After I watched episode 2. I also watched Rodger Kipling's Son Jack Kippling set in the same time frame World War I. It had my darling boy Daniel Radcliffe playing the son Jack Kippling. It had me in tears at the end. If it airs on BBC give it a watch as it is just so well done.

As for Sherlock one of my favorites. I love Basil Rathbone playing Sherlock those are the old old ones great shows. I have seen the first one with Morten Downey Jr. His Brit accent is ok. Now the one on BBC and PBS the lad that plays Dr. Watson will be playing the Hobbit in the Hobbit. I read that book as a child and reread it as an adult and still loved it so much. Lord of the rings for me was a bit much, the movies came along so I just ended up watching it.

I have several series shows that I am waiting to return for their next season. Merlin has started here and I have watched both episodes of season 4 I think. Camelot will not be coming back for a second season so I will miss that. Game of thrones is and I cannot wait for that along with the Borgia's. Jeramey Irons great show HBO and showtime. In June my favorite True Blood will return for its next season. Read all the books on that one first. I found the last series a bit drawn out with the witch thing. Hoping the next one is as good as the first ones.

You all have a great day and happy sewing :)
Your friend in sewing
Mrs. Red Threads

Offline adamc

• No Dogs on the Couch ! I mean it ! Off !
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2012, 02:57:47 PM »
DW wasn't feeling well over the Holiday weekend, so I went to the Library for videos,
The older librarian told me about a video set "lark rising to candleford" , there were four seasons..   Well, she's watched them all, and liked them as much as Abbey..
----------------------------------------------------------
The Trouble with Doing Nothing,
Is that you can't tell if you are finished.

Offline Loomchick

• More about me
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2012, 10:57:48 PM »
Glad you are all enjoying Downton as much as we did in the UK. I hope you get the Christmas Special too as that was a real treat.  I have to confess the Dowager is my favourite, Dame Maggie Smith is perfect.

Sylvia . . . I too hope we get the Christmas Special . . . and like you, my favorite is Violet, the dowager countess.  Every time I see Maggie Smith enter a scene I perk up eager to watch her facial expressions and wait for that perfect phrase that only she could get away with saying.

One thing I don't like is the waiting for each episode knowing others have seen them.  I want my Downton Abbey now!
Robyn

"Your attitude about who you are and what you have is a very little thing that makes a very big difference."  -  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Doris W. in TN

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2012, 03:16:25 AM »
re: season 2/episode 2 (this past Sunday)    I was impressed with Mary when she cut Lavinia Swire slack on her "history."   After all, Mary has little room to talk or judge.  ;)

Zalin

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »
Did anyone see this tidbit from MSNBC?

Dress Like the Ladies of Downton Abbey

Photo

Offline FrancesGrimble

• Books on making historic clothing
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2012, 10:36:07 PM »
There is a Facebook group called the Unsinkables dedicated to making clothes from this era. They discuss patterns, fabrics, shoes, and jewelry.

Zalin

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2012, 10:54:10 PM »
I wouldn't want to dress just like the people of that era. I do like the modern spin on it though.

Offline Claudine

• Photos
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2012, 12:29:54 AM »
There is a Facebook group called the Unsinkables dedicated to making clothes from this era. They discuss patterns, fabrics, shoes, and jewelry.

LOL that is so macabre.

Offline Loomchick

• More about me
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2012, 05:23:14 PM »
Yes, season 2 is a bit 'soapy' . . . but, there are some things I find refreshing.

First, I love that Mary has softened and seems a kinder and gentler version of herself. I believe being rejected by Matthew, the trials of war, etc. has helped her mature. She's willing to accept marriage to Richard Carlisle to save the family's reputation and help Bates. She is desperately in love in Matthew, but has done nothing to interfere with his relationship with Lavinia. She wants Matthew to have what he wants and she believes he wants Lavinia.

I find myself frequently surprised by the unique relationship between Mary and Lavinia. Mary seems to genuinely like and care for Lavinia. In our day-and-age of reality-based television shows that show women fighting with one another over stupid stuff, I appreciate the sincerity Mary has shown. It would have been so easy for the script to turn these two women who love the same man to be against one another.

Matthew really loves Lavinia . . . I believe he still pines for Mary, but he really does love Lavinia. When Lavinia arrives at the hospital and first sees Matthew and he says "My darling!" I just about melted into my chair with the way he said it.

I applaud Daisy's reluctance to marry William. Her inner conflict about being true to her heart and desire to avoid being a fraud versus taking the easy way out shows a bit more character than I would have given her credit for.

Edith seems to have so much more humanity than we saw in season 1. I love how she worked with Violet to get William home . . . I half expected her to high jack an ambulance and drive William home herself.

Violet has a bigger heart than she may readily want others to see. I was touched by how hard she worked to get William transferred home and how she wept and sniffled during the wedding ceremony . . . and then claimed to have a cold.
Robyn

Offline Loomchick

• More about me
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2012, 09:49:14 PM »
It was announced earlier today that Shirley MacLaine has been cast for season 3 of Downton Abbey . . . she will play Martha Levinson, Cora's mother.

I can only imagine how entertaining the verbal sparring will be between Maggie Smith and Shirley MacLaine!
Robyn

Offline Mardella

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2012, 11:32:24 PM »
Oh goody, a season 3.  Shirley MacLaine will be a perfect mom for Cora.   Lots to ponder and yes, it's a soap opera at this point but I'm hooked.  Do we all think Matthew is going to recover enough to walk again? 
Mardella

Offline Loomchick

• More about me
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2012, 11:37:28 PM »
Without a doubt will Matthew walk again (and other things so he can be "properly" married)

The only downside I've had to Downton Abbey is this . . . Last week, while watching Downton Abbey, I remember thinking Hugh Bonneville, the actor that plays Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham looked pretty darn good for an 'older' gentleman . . . then I found out he's 3 1/2 years younger than me.   :o  I hope they have to work really hard in the makeup trailer to make him look older and distinguished.
Robyn

Offline Purple Peril

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2012, 12:38:21 PM »
Without a doubt will Matthew walk again (and other things so he can be "properly" married)

The only downside I've had to Downton Abbey is this . . . Last week, while watching Downton Abbey, I remember thinking Hugh Bonneville, the actor that plays Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham looked pretty darn good for an 'older' gentleman . . . then I found out he's 3 1/2 years younger than me.   :o  I hope they have to work really hard in the makeup trailer to make him look older and distinguished.

Oh, he does look much younger in real life, don't worry!

Don't forget, before series three (which we hope to have here in the UK in the autumn), you still have the Christmas Special to look forward to ;D. 2 hours of roller-coaster emotions. I was a wreck at the end  ::)
Tina

Offline Liz in PA

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2012, 01:41:05 PM »

So, the "Christmas Special" is a separate thing, AFTER season 2?

Offline Loomchick

• More about me
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Oh, he does look much younger in real life, don't worry!

Don't forget, before series three (which we hope to have here in the UK in the autumn), you still have the Christmas Special to look forward to ;D. 2 hours of roller-coaster emotions. I was a wreck at the end  ::)

Whew!  I'm glad Hugh Bonneville looks younger in person . . . I was beginning to think I was delusional.

I've heard really good things about the Downton Abbey Christmas Special . . . I think PBS is showing it as the last episode of their season two . . . which means we will get to see it on February 19th.  I hope I'm correct . . . I hate waiting for new episodes.
Robyn

Offline Purple Peril

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2012, 05:39:54 PM »

So, the "Christmas Special" is a separate thing, AFTER season 2?

Indeedy. ;D
Tina

Offline Andromache

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2012, 09:45:34 PM »
I just watched Season 2, Episode 4, and (SPOILER ALERT)-- was anyone else angry with Matthew for sending Lavinia away?  I understand his motivation, and it seemed like a selfless act of self-sacrifice at the time.  But, as I thought about it more, I felt like it was  arrogant and patronizing of him to unilaterally decide what Lavinia should want out of a relationship, without listening to how she felt about it.  I feel that a better approach would be to give her the news, give her time to think over the implications, and offer her an out along the lines of, "If my injury and its repercussions would force you to give up aspects of life that you value too much, I'll understand if you want to break off your engagement with me, and I won't think any less of you for it."

It also seems really unfortunate that he (and everyone else) had such a restricted view of what physical intimacy should be that his injury would be seen as an automatic deal-breaker. 
κτῆμά τε ἐς αἰεὶ μᾶλλον ἢ ἀγώνισμα ἐς τὸ παραχρῆμα

Offline Loomchick

• More about me
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2012, 01:28:06 AM »
I found Matthew sending Lavinia away a fairly normal response to his situation for the following reasons:
  • First, Matthew truly loves her and wants her to have a full and complete life . . . including children.  When we see him in the hospital, he sees himself as lacking and incomplete and cannot imagine any kind of life that is full and happy . . . he only sees despair and inconvenience . . . he wants to spare her from a grim future
  • He's grieving for the loss of his independence . . . He's the kind of man who I'm sure feels compelled to be strong in a marriage . . . Now he's a person who feels he would be completely dependent on others. 
  • He doesn't want anyone to witness his emasculation, especially a woman he had planned on spending the rest of his life with and having a family

I remember when I was learning to counsel patients when we had to deliver bad test results, a devastating diagnosis, etc., we were encouraged to limit the amount information we provided after we delivered the bad news and schedule a follow-up to discuss intervention therapies, treatment options, because they would often feel overwhelmed.  It's only natural for people to see the gloom and doom when the rug is pulled out from underneath them.  They say things they normally wouldn't given some time.  I remember an interview with Christopher Reeve after his had his riding accident and became a paraplegic . . . and in the interview he said he did initially think his family would be better off if he "checked out"

Yes, I would have preferred Matthew to let Lavinia decide for herself . . . but, I don't think what he did was arrogant or patronizing . . . I think he was trying to be selfless . . . but, instead he was caught in a wave of grief and despair.
Robyn

Offline Terri B

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2012, 02:24:16 AM »
I agree with Robyn.  I think Matthew is struggling with his situation as much or more than Lavinia.  He hasn't had time to process his own loss let alone hers.  Lavinia strikes me as someone who doesn't have the strength of character to see a relationship like that through no matter how much she professes to love him.  In that regard I think Mary is much stronger and more realistic about what a life with Matthew would be like.  Should she choose to be with him she would go into the relationship with eyes wide open and know exactly what she's getting, and in doing so have no regrets.  Of course we don't really know much about Lavinia.  Her character hasn't been developed in enough depth to know if she could truly be up to that challenge.

I was almost certain poor Daisy was going to be guilted into marrying William because he was dying and then he wouldn't die after all and she'd be stuck with him.  I think in the end though William knew she didn't really love him. 

Violet definitely feels obligated to take care of "her people".  I think part of why she worked so hard to get William home was because she was told "no it can't be done".  No one tells Violet no.   ;)  I think the minister found that out the hard way.  It was sweet that she was there for the wedding and sniffled through the whole thing.

I find it really interesting that O'Brien is having regrets about telling Bate's wife he had moved back to the abby.  Maybe she is finally beginning to see cause and effect for her actions. I'm wondering if I may end up liking her after all.   :o

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics