Author Topic: Junior patterns  (Read 2153 times)

Offline glendad

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
Junior patterns
« on: December 29, 2011, 03:14:30 AM »
A mom from our local 4-H sewing sent me an e-mail tonight asking for help.   I don't know the answer.  It appears that the big 4 pattern companies are no longer making Junior patterns.  Are there any other resources out there for Junior sewers?

Offline Bunnykins

Re: Junior patterns
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 07:38:14 PM »
Do you mean junior size (5,7,9,etc.?) or learn to sew patterns?  I don't think there's been a junior size pattern for years, maybe since the 70s when they changed the sizes.  A junior size is usually shorter waisted, with a higher bust dart and, if I remember correctly, a slightly smaller bust size than a misses pattern compared to the hip.  You can always shorten the back waist length. 

How old are the 4H girls who are learning to sew?  Has anyone measured them? I'm asking because a lot of the young girls these days are quite a bit taller and heavier than their mothers and grandmothers, so might fit a misses pattern just fine.  The size charts are on the sewing pattern company sites.  This is the one for McCalls, Vogue and Butterick:

http://www.mccall.com/

If it's learn to sew patterns, perhaps someone else has a suggestion.  I'm partial to Vogue patterns as the instructions are usually more complete and precise than those of the standard McCalls and Simplicity patterns which sometimes let you guess what you're supposed to do next.   There are lots of independent pattern companies, too, so someone else might be able to steer you to one which has simple to use patterns suitable for beginners.

Offline glendad

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 08:15:55 PM »
These girls are around 12 and 13.  Yes that have been measured and they are too curvy for girls.  Many of them need a 2 or a 4 in misses patterns and most of the patterns start at 6. 

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 08:52:24 PM »
You could try a Jalie pattern - they come with all sizes included from small children to large adults.  Buy it once and trace out the size(s) you need.  They have good instructions and fun styles for younger people, too - like t-shirts and shorts, etc.

Offline Bunnykins

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 08:15:45 AM »
I think BeeBee's got it.  Jalie's patterns come in a very wide range of sizes *and* their patterns aren't that difficult.

Offline glendad

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »
I will pass on the Jalie patterns.   They are not what the girls traditionally make.  They are judged in June and many of them will want to make dresses for an occasion that is coming up in the summer or shorts and a top for summer ware.  They usually don't sew on knits.  And they are all hoping to do something well enough and creative enough to go to regionals or states at their level.

Offline Bunnykins

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 10:55:45 AM »
Have you looked on eBay at the vintage patterns? (collectables/sewing/patterns) There are simple to make 50s to 70s patterns which are sized differently.  You will find juniors and other vintage patterns for women which start at a 30b, to be made in woven cloth, and which are both simple enough for basic sewing skills and to show off a nice fabric, and lady like enough for young women.  If you do this, make very sure of your sizes as the size charts have been updated twice since the 50s; today's pattern size 8 was at one time a 10 and, earlier, a 12.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:50:06 AM by Bunnykins »

Offline Bunnykins

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 10:57:38 AM »
These girls are around 12 and 13.  Yes that have been measured and they are too curvy for girls.  Many of them need a 2 or a 4 in misses patterns and most of the patterns start at 6.

Just checking:  you are aware that a size 6 pattern is an XS/0 or 00 in women's wear?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:51:08 AM by Bunnykins »

Offline shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 11:00:35 AM »
I think you need to just select patterns with care.  Burda envelope patterns do have 3 or 4 Burda Young patterns, designed for that age.  You might find others on ebay.

Also, I have noticed that some Simplicity patterns for women start at size 4.  I picked up a Project Runway pattern for my daughter and it starts at a size 4.  So it's challenging, but not impossible.

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 08:38:19 AM »
  Burda envelope patterns do have 3 or 4 Burda Young patterns, designed for that age. 

Actually Burda has lots of envelope and download patterns in their "Burda Young" section...you may just have trouble finding them when you search in English. Try searching on Burda's German or French websites, then get the number and search by number on the English site. Burda also has patterns that are called "Burda Easy" that might be appropriate...slightly simpler sewing. You can find these on the German site too.

Look for patterns that go down to size 34, roughly the same as a US pattern size 4. They also have a section for plus size styles suitable for teens. (Young Plus)  Look at Burda girl's sizes, too, if the teens are on the smaller size. Ottobre is worth looking at as well...nice styles for younger teens and good size range. Ottobre tends to be harder to find.

Useful Links:
germanburdayoung

frenchburdayoungfashion

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics