Author Topic: Pant a Month Club  (Read 12906 times)

Offline theresa in tucson

Pant a Month Club
« on: December 23, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »
Snicker, :laugh: if someone were to start a Pant a Month we would have JAM, (Jacket a Month), SAM, Shirt a Month, and PAM (Pant a Month).

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
Re: Pant a Month Club
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »
Snicker, :laugh: if someone were to start a Pant a Month we would have JAM, (Jacket a Month), SAM, Shirt a Month, and PAM (Pant a Month).

Have you been hitting the holiday cheer?  ;D  ;D   The irony is - I was just thinking yesterday I'll have to sew a pair of pants to go with each shirt!!  Besides I'd rather PAM then SAM!!
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline LynnH

• Me at 10
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:00:37 PM »
And regardless of which (or all) you participate in, you win!
Lynn

Offline blue mooney

• If it feels good, wear it!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 11:44:26 PM »
That's funny.....I actually am planning on making pants for my shirt next!

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 03:58:56 AM »
Well, Theresa, sounds like you started something.  Lets go for it!!  I L O V E to make slacks - I'd make a pair a day if I could!! ;D ;D
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 06:07:29 AM »
Well, I started this thread as more of a joke but I may be participating at least long enough to make a few pairs of jeans.  I hate, hate, hate,  jeans with lycra because my jeans are work clothes.  My one remaining pair of jeans came from the thrift shop and have lycra in them.  They are fine for running around town but alsolutely horrible for physical work.

Today  DH and I were framing up a little garden shed for one of the rentals and if I could have torn the jeans off and thrown them in the garbage I would have.  Just the simple action of clipping a tape measure on the front pocket distorted the waistband so much it was like being "pantsed" and forget trying to keep a shirt tucked in!

The work pants made for the 2009 "Working Woman's SWAP" have all worn out, so necessity will probably make me a participant in the Sew-Along, just not for a dozen pair.  We have renters moving and several deferred maintenance items to take care of before the house will be ready for occupancy and the work wardrobe is in need of pants; for shirts, I still have plenty.

Offline mcgintie

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 08:12:46 AM »
Theresa, I love lycra jeans. The stretch effect varies amongst brands. I have one cheap pair that would do as you describe, and other ones (Maine) that don't distort other than give a little when I sit down. They are so comfortable especially when bending over. Could you wear a belt to hang things off?

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 10:43:20 AM »
I'm not sure I need that many pairs of new pants, but I'm more likely to make pants or jackets (or maybe knit tops/knit dresses) than shirts.
My successful pants are made from one or two Burda magazine patterns but are all very wide leg. I carry a lot of weight on my thighs, and have a full bottom but narrow back waist. The wider leg Burda patterns fit well with minimal back waist alteration.

I would like to perfect a simple one seam pattern for PJs and waterproof walking over trousers. That probably would enable 12 pairs of pants in a year if walking trousers, PJ trousers and tailored trousers were all included.

Offline Sergerqueen

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 02:09:01 PM »
I'll be playing along although maybe not 12.  I've recently lost weight and need to adjust my one seams.  I've been LOVING Peggy Sagers yoga pants and have fabric for at least three more!  I will also be  playing along on the JAM and SAM to help replenish my wardrobe with clothes that fit better.

Happy Holidays to all and Happy Sewing in 2012!

Offline Susan in Miami

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »
Well, if showing you all the pants that I will be making over the coming year means that I am in, then I am in.

Susan

Offline 0

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 06:02:38 PM »
I am in I will play since I wear pants all the time I need some new dress pants for work!!!

Online vtmartha

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 06:55:09 PM »
It looks like Theresa's 'joke' is turning into something really big!  I will definitely take part in one way or another.  I wear pants almost exclusively and have had all sorts of challenges finding the 'perfect' fit.  It seems as though the Style Arc pants are fitting me well and I'd like to explore them a little more.  Ideally, I'd have close fitting pants to wear around the house and a looser pair of weather proof pants to pull on top for barn wear.  I have three different pairs waiting for after the holidays to be sewn up.  And I need a pair of perfectly fitting jeans.  ;)

Offline JillyBe

• JillyBeJoyful
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 08:57:07 PM »
I'm in on this one!   I'm making pants for the 6PAC, have jeans in the (mental) hopper, and I really want to work on pants fitting anyway.   Great motivation!
The daily dilemma:  Build up the stash or sew it down?

http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com

Offline Mardella

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 11:56:46 PM »
I don't want to make twelve of any one type of garment but I will definitely be watching if only to find out the best patterns and fabrics to use.   Can't wait to see the first pictures posted. 
Mardella

Offline pinemeadows

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 12:39:36 PM »
I cannot even imagine having 12 pairs of new perfectly fitting pants, or 12 new perfectly fitting white blouses but I would love to be in that situation! 

These discussions have spurred me on to really focus on developing some TNT patterns - whether it's from pattern drafting software or paper patterns that I buy...not to mention cleaning out my closet which is stuffed with clothes of all sizes and possibly even vintages. ;)

This morning I was looking for my Power Sewing book, and it was right next to Singer Sewing Pants That Fit.  Will have to take a look at that before I start. 

Has anyone here used that book?  Is it recommended?

Offline Susan in Miami

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 01:58:35 PM »
The books from the Singer series that I do have are excellent. Years ago I ordered "On Making Pants" from David Coffin. It's a multi-media approach to a tutorial for pant making. I was having issues with the animations that are part of the DVD so I contacted David. He said he would help me to get it working but also told me about his new version of this multi-media book, "Making Trousers". I ordered it yesterday from amazon.com and it has already been shipped. He promises that this version is updated and with much more information than the first - can't wait.

Making Trousers by Susan in Miami, on Flickr

Susan

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 03:35:35 PM »
Just went to Amazon and looked at the book - when I tried to close it followed me home - will arrive on Fri!! ;D  I was going to order another book on fitting - Amazon popped up that I had purchased previously a few years back!! ::)

I have the Singer pant fit book and it is great to help with fit.  DC book is techniques, etc.  About 25years ago I did a slack/trouser class with a gal that is a professional tailor.  I still refer to the pattern sheets she copied for us and use the pattern for pockets, fly, etc.  Since I'm not sewing many wool slacks I got out the 'habit' of always doing the tailoring - why - who knows.  Something mental I guess.

One of my very favorite pair of slacks was a lined crepe slack - very tailored.  Sooo, one really doesn't need to do wool!!

Offline Frances

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 04:12:37 PM »
I went to Amazon and looked at this book too.  I'm wondering if this would be a good book for those of us with a tilted waistline.  Does anyone know?  The days are passed whenever I could grab any size 10 pattern and whip out a pair of pants and wear them to work the next day.

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 04:32:16 PM »
From what I read it is construction only - NO fitting - and it assumes you are not a beginning sewer.

But, to answer your question, I don't know why it wouldn't be a good book for all the techniques.  I love DVD's so am looking forward to seeing some of that.

Singer pant fit and the McCalls - Palmer Pletch are good fitting books - also the simplicity series of pants patterns (can't remember the name!! ???) might be a good pattern to start with.

Louise Cuttings had a long paragraph on the OneSeams thread adressing the tilted waist.

My TNT is NE pant - and my waist is tilted.

HTH

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »
I really like that Singer pants book because the photographs of the different fitting problems are so clear. Some books have illustrations with wavy lines to indicate pulls/excess fabric, but I can't visualize exactly what they're trying to show.

A lightbulb came on for me in the tub the other night when I was reading one of those ooooold Threads books. I think it was Form and Fabric. The writer was discussing the angle of the center back seam, and how a slanted one acts like a big old dart, releasing fullness below the fanny. Straightening the CB seam and fitting the waist with properly-placed darts solves the problem.  My usual fitting problem is a diagonal drape from hip to inner thigh, and I've often thought it could be solved by a wedge that would add to the side seam. Well, duh, that would straighten the CB, too. :slap:

I think I finally have a handle on this.

Offline Frances

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 09:48:21 PM »
I remembered I have Singer, The Perfect Fit, but it doesn't cover the tilted waist so much.  Is the book you're referring to titled Singer, Sewing Pants That Fit?  Since my body has played tricks on me, I've stayed away from pants making.  Needless to say, I can't buy them to fit either.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 09:50:38 PM »
I don't know if I should join the PAM or not.  I most certainly will make 12 pairs next year, although some are destined to be worn only once.  That's because I'm going to draft trousers/slacks/jeans from my measurements. Hopefully, I will get one wearable pair of each before the end of the year.

Offline miranda

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 01:32:39 AM »
I'd love to start making some pants.  I've got DC's trousers book and am desperate to try out his moveable waist idea.  I could probably even do with 12 pairs if we count jeans and shorts...

Miranda

Offline Morejoy

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 04:35:10 AM »
I sure have the fabric and the need and the need to understand the
whole pants fitting dynamic.   I won't be able to be in for one a month,
but I'll likely make a couple and will sure be following all your progress
and new tips and techniques..

David Coffin has a blog page about pants fitting:

http://makingtrouserswithdpc.blogspot.com/

Peggy Sagers webcast:  Ultimate pants fitting:

http://www.livestream.com/silhouettepatterns/video?clipId=pla_78ffc956-970d-4ac7-a8a1-29a542a2ece4&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

Nancy Zeiman - video preview on her Pattern Fitting With Confidence,
using the pivot and slide method. Pants fitting blurb starts at the 5:48 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfmleCst2rE

Threads - fitting tips, including pants:  Linda Lee, Louise Cutting

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/9746/fitting-tips-from-the-pros-online-extra

This blog technique has intrigued me since I first saw it, and I think I just have
to give it a try in 2012 .. using painter's tape to copycat pants that fit well:

http://cheapandpicky.blogspot.com/2009/06/another-use-for-painters-tape.html

Another blogger's experience with painter's tape pants:

http://smokingneedlesknitting.blogspot.com/2009/07/fine-tuned-painters-tape-pants.html

Looking forward all your pants adventures, and  wishing a safe, peaceful, productive
and Happy New Year to you all!

~ Joy ~
Bernina 930, Babylock Imagine Serger,
Embellisher, a stash in desperate need
of attack

Domain name only (no website) for sale:
betweentheseams.com

PM with interest

Offline Morejoy

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 04:45:07 AM »
I forgot to include the completed painter's tape pants.  Looking
pretty good.

http://cheapandpicky.blogspot.com/2009/06/pants-copy-complete.html

~ Joy ~
Bernina 930, Babylock Imagine Serger,
Embellisher, a stash in desperate need
of attack

Domain name only (no website) for sale:
betweentheseams.com

PM with interest

Offline Lyn-J

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 08:18:54 AM »
If it includes leggings and jeans count me in.
Lynnette

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 02:27:24 PM »
I don't know if I should join the PAM or not.  I most certainly will make 12 pairs next year, although some are destined to be worn only once.  That's because I'm going to draft trousers/slacks/jeans from my measurements. Hopefully, I will get one wearable pair of each before the end of the year.
I don't know why you wouldn't qualify!  For the JAM I gave about 4 jackets/shrugs away.  Nothing says you "must" wear what you make!!  Whose method are you going to use to draft your pattern?  Several folks have instructions, etc.  Inquiring minds need to know these things!! ;D

Offline minggiddylooloo

• My sewing blog
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2012, 05:28:44 PM »
I'd love to hop on this too! I recently spent quite a few hours copying a pair of RTW pants and then tweaking it to fit perfectly. I am 95% there with a TNT flat pattern. I have David Coffin's book and wanted to apply a lot of higher end techniques to my first pair of pants for 2012. I've made pants successfully before but I've decided this new year will be about perfecting the sewing on the inside. Really look forward to learning and sharing from everyone joining in!
Ming

Offline PattiH

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 01:30:22 AM »
This is something I did for myself a while back to try to figure out pants fitting.  I have identified what seem to me to be the different parts of pants that need to be adjusted for proper fit.  Any and all comments and/or suggestions are welcome.  I am no expert, just someone trying to identify the different parts to fit pants.

Patti

Offline JillyBe

• JillyBeJoyful
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 08:26:19 AM »
I just completed a muslin - actually, muslin #2 - for pants #1, so I've passed the start line!

I've been wanting to make LaFred's Thalia pant for ages, and even though the pattern model is willowy, thin & tall (and I am not), I really wanted to see how they would look on me.   So far, I'm happy with the look of the muslin; actually, I'm thrilled!

The reason I dove into these first was because I needed an easy diversion from The Koos Coat, and when I looked through the pattern instructions, I was quite surprised at how utterly simple these are - no darts, no zip, just a couple of buttons & some elastic.  The only reason I had to make 2 muslins was for sizing - my measurements put me between a medium & a lg., but previous reviews all talked about the MASSIVE amount of ease.   I cut a Medium first, & decided to try a Small.  So far it looks like the small will be fine with zero (!) alterations.

I've not stitched a thing, other than hand sewing, for a month now, so I'm stoked!
The daily dilemma:  Build up the stash or sew it down?

http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com

Offline miranda

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »
We're on holiday at present, and then moving house, so I don't expect to get to any sewing at all until probably February.  But then my goal is a workable muslin and a then a wearable muslin.

Miranda

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2012, 04:49:16 AM »
Finished the first pair of pajama pants this evening.   Still working on the top which is going much slower due to the piping.  This is for my "Bedtime SWAP" and I'm doing them in an light creamy brown and off white stripe with bone piping.  I used a Simplicity men/boys pattern modified to fit me.   Had to lower the front waist a full inch so I'm glad I just basted the waist elastic tunnel for a first fit. 

I'm going to wear them to bed tonight to try them out.  If they are a success then I will cut out the next pair of jammies in a marbled ecru and cream and make them up while the ecru thread is still on the machine.  If not, I will try another pattern.

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 02:32:56 PM »
My next project is to work on a pair of jeans again. I've tried them a couple of times in the past - worked on a muslin, but then getting completely different results when making up in denim.

Planning for my retirement lifestyle (which is now close enough for me to have a count-down calendar), I am thinking more in terms of outfits than a mix & match wardrobe. So I am going to try for a PAM for each of my SAM.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 02:49:07 PM »
PAM, SAM, and TAM, oh my! Robyn, enjoy sewing during your countdown to retirement. I'm really enjoying seeing your casual projects come to life one by one.

Kathryn

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »
Robyn: Enjoy the count down. I made the opposite change (wardrobe wise) when I retired.  Previously I made outfits.  After retiring, I have capsules in basic colors with much more mix and match capability.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics