Author Topic: Rag Doll for my little granddaughter  (Read 1716 times)

Offline pdiddly

• P's Sewing Blog
Rag Doll for my little granddaughter
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
Hi  I thought I would show you my rag doll I made for my granddaughter.

a couple of weeks ago I completed a dressing gown/robe for Alana in a lovely soft fleece.

and on Saturday I decided I wanted to make Alana a rag doll for Christmas.

I purchased two pillows for 5 (for the two) and I used the pillowcase to make the body, and the used the stuffing inside to stuff the doll.  .  I used my Janome software to create the face for the doll and  used wool for the hair which I cut into strands, folded in half and sewed each strand to the back of the head, one by one.

Next I made a copy of Alana's dressing gown for the doll out of the left-over fleece and a pair of PJ's in some blue cotton knit I had in my stash.
and here is the end result .

There are lots more details on my blog - I have nearly completed the 2nd doll for my D Mike's granddaughter so best get her finished - will post that one up later.

Pauline

Pauline

I work full time in a busy job that often takes me around the world - in my spare time love to sew and enjoy exchanging ideas with like-minded people see my blog
http://psewing.blogspot.com/

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Re: Rag Doll for my little granddaughter
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 04:29:41 PM »
What a wonderful doll!  (for a very cute granddoll ;)).  To have a personalized doll will give both of you a lot of fun...and I love the idea that you're now going to make PJs for your granddaughter to match her doll's.  Could be a lot of matching outfits in your future.

Have fun!  (and let us know how that doll to granddaughter introduction on Christmas goes). :party: :snowman: :xmas:

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline Lynerwi

• Jill of Many Crafts--Master of None
  • My inspiration
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »
That is just awesome! I still have great memories of my childhood doll, and the custom wardrobe made for her by a family friend. Your granddaughter is one lucky little girl :-)
Dangerous when bored

Offline Bunny

• La Sewist
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 02:01:38 AM »
This is just adorable. You did a beautiful job!

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 03:09:27 AM »
Nice doll you did a beautiful job.
If you're doing the best you can under your current circumstances... then kick up your heels and dance

Sometimes when things are falling apart they may actually be falling into place

Offline Soupdragon

• The Material Lady
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 09:03:58 AM »
Cute Pauline! I'm sure she will love it to bits.

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »
Lovely, Pauline!

Neither of my grand daughters ever showed any interest in dolls - they both have older brothers, and they're now interested in other things.  :)

My mother made my daughters' dolls, but I do remember the pleasure I got from making and dressing dolls for myself; a very long time ago!

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 12:18:07 PM »
Pauline, I just noticed your dolls on your blog and was most impressed.  What adorable dolls you've created!

Offline pdiddly

• P's Sewing Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 12:34:56 PM »
thanks for all the lovely comments - I feel really guilty in that I never made a rag doll for my daughter, probably because she had two older brothers who really brought her up as a tom boy - I tried to introduce a pram to her, but the boys dismantled it and turned it into a go-cart and they all used to push each other around in it. ::)

I guess it didn't help that I was never really a doll person myself, but I really did enjoy making these.
Pauline

I work full time in a busy job that often takes me around the world - in my spare time love to sew and enjoy exchanging ideas with like-minded people see my blog
http://psewing.blogspot.com/

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 12:47:09 PM »
Very cute doll, Pauline! Alana is just darling too

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics