Author Topic: Shirt A Month?  (Read 85139 times)

Offline jsews

Re: Shirt A Month?
« Reply #350 on: January 13, 2012, 01:58:14 AM »
great Hibiscus shirt Martha - I may just have to pull out my pattern and sew it up!

Off to check out Fabricmart - thanks Robyn. . .

Jean
Devote yourself to an idea. Go make it happen.  Struggle on it; overcome your fears.   Smile!  Donít you forget - this is your dream!

Offline Ann

« Reply #351 on: January 13, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »
You can buy the pattern here (only one copy)

http://www.ioffer.com/i/Sewing-Workshop-Hibiscus-Shirt-Sewing-Pattern-6-22-188710248

I love the pattern but it doesn't suit my body type. But, I love what you did with it Martha. Great job!!

Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Education is a journey, not a race.

Ann's Blogs
http://everythingsewing.blogspot.com/

Offline sewmodest

• Sew Fashionably Modest
« Reply #352 on: January 13, 2012, 06:25:41 PM »
Wow every time I go away for a couple of days I have so much to catch up on, this thread has been really active.
I did start out on working on my shirt again but the fabric I was planning on just wasn't saying shirt to me, so instead I went back to my top/blouse pattern since I had the fabric already ready. Now that I am almost done with it, its time to go back to my shirt plans. I hope to finish working on the fit soon and as soon as I have my machines repair I'll be ready to go.

Interesting discussion on shirt vs blouse.

@debbym: I had to do the same thing find another shirt pattern and start from ground zero, but I am learning and the second time around I had a much better start and after a couple more tweeks I think I'll have a shirt pattern that could be the start of a TnT shirt pattern for me. And just as blue mooney suggested once I my fit issues worked out, I plan to WORK IT OUT.

MrsBean, sdBev, Doobee64, Ann, Jacs, pdiddly, blue mooney, shams, Martha all lovely shirts and proof of how long I have been away from this thread.

Now I can't wait to get started on mine.

Happy sewing everyone
Sewmodest

Offline martha.myers

• My Sewing Projects - A Scrap Book of Sorts
« Reply #353 on: January 13, 2012, 11:18:51 PM »
Blue Mooney - no fit problems with the Hibiscus. I made a size M as I usually do with TSW tops. Sometimes I have to grade out to L in the hips, but not with the Hibiscus - it is loose-fitting in the hip area and there is plenty of room.

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #354 on: January 14, 2012, 02:03:28 PM »
Martha, that is good news for me! Thanks for the info. I've made the Tribeca and Liberty. I do want to make both of them again with some adjusting. And Hibiscus, too. That would be 3 of my 12 right there! I think my next shirt will be a Cuttin Line Design, though. Still mulling that while working on jeans fitting.

Offline debbym

« Reply #355 on: January 14, 2012, 08:47:14 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm going to rethink which pattern to try next.  I do like princess seams in RTW, hopefully I'll get there before the year is up.  I am so impressed with the shirts that have been finished already.  I really would like to have some wearable shirts to wear to work this summer.

Debby

Offline Ann

« Reply #356 on: January 14, 2012, 10:40:38 PM »
My first shirt is done. I showed it earlier prior to getting the buttons on it. I will be shipping out tomorrow. There are 12 designs embroidered on it plus 4 flowers on the cuffs. I do like it but it isn't my style.

I am ready to do the placket on the 2nd shirt. It is a white shirt for Queen Emma to wear for Horsemanship.

Ann
Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Ann's Blogs

Offline martha.myers

« Reply #357 on: January 14, 2012, 11:11:01 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous, Ann! Your white one that is in progress on your blog is also fabulous. Martha

Offline Susan in Miami

« Reply #358 on: January 14, 2012, 11:52:17 PM »
Ann,

As always, your shirts are beyond fabulous and the embroidery makes me speechless.

Susan

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #359 on: January 15, 2012, 01:05:43 AM »
Ann, another great shirt.  I love the designs you come up with.
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline peter

• SoCal, USA
« Reply #360 on: January 15, 2012, 01:27:56 AM »
Ann, you put Nudie to shame with your work.  I've done enough machine embroidery to know how much time and effort goes into a shirt like that.  All eyes will be on that shirt when it's out and about.  It sparkles.
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito."

The Dalai Lama

Offline Doobee64

• Doobee's Creations
« Reply #361 on: January 15, 2012, 03:10:32 AM »
Brilliant shirt, Ann! Such detail and patience. Love the white one in progress on your blog as well. It will be another winner also...
Pop 'Down Under' and see what I am sewing...http://doobee64.blogspot.com/

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #362 on: January 15, 2012, 10:10:24 AM »
Beautiful, Ann! I really like how the collar embellishment is dots only. Your client should be very happy.

Offline Ann

« Reply #363 on: January 15, 2012, 02:07:34 PM »
Thank you everyone for the kind comments on the shirt. This is the most embroidery I have done on a shirt, but it was the client's choice.

I did get the sleeve plackets onto the white shirt yesterday and hope to get the sleeves inserted today. If I do a bit of push, it just might get done.

Ann

Ann's Blogs

Offline LisaB

« Reply #364 on: January 15, 2012, 03:36:27 PM »
Beautiful shirt, Ann! I'm off to check out your blog.

Offline pdiddly

• P's Sewing Blog
« Reply #365 on: January 15, 2012, 06:53:53 PM »
I am sort of double posting, but here is my next SAM Miss January 2

I needed a blouse for last night, so ran up this one yesterday afternoon and love it - not entirely sure of the fabric but its feels like a charmeuse.

There is more on my blog http://psewing.blogspot.com/2012/01/birthday-part2-oop-simplicity-9581.html
Pauline

I work full time in a busy job that often takes me around the world - in my spare time love to sew and enjoy exchanging ideas with like-minded people see my blog
http://psewing.blogspot.com/

Offline LisaB

« Reply #366 on: January 15, 2012, 07:49:17 PM »
Pauline, your blouse is really pretty. Congrats on completing another!

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #367 on: January 15, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »
Pauline, you're a marvel!  So talented and productive!
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline Karendee

« Reply #368 on: January 15, 2012, 08:39:59 PM »
Pauline, your outfit was lovely for your special occasion. i also like the idea of the lace cardi and wonderful shoes!

Ann, your work is always lovely and this blouse is exceptional.

Karen

Offline Ann

« Reply #369 on: January 15, 2012, 09:20:47 PM »
Gorgeous shirt for Part 2 of your birthday!!

Ann

Ann's Blogs

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #370 on: January 15, 2012, 10:11:08 PM »
Pauline, you ran it up in an afternoon? Beautiful!

Offline pdiddly

• P's Sewing Blog
« Reply #371 on: January 16, 2012, 11:28:19 AM »
Yes I did run it up in an afternoon, but I also adopted a few tips from the Silhouette Patterns Webcast Channel, this one on factory techniques for blouse making http://www.silhouettepatterns.com/html/media/livestreamchannel/replay_03_14_2011.htm - these are a great find and with some fantastic tips - I had never seen them before.

Because this was a nice soft fabric, I left out the front interfacing, but felt I needed something to stabilize the buttonholes.  What I did was cut a thin strip of my tear away embroidery stabilizer and just sandwiched that between the two pieces of fabric, before sewing my buttonholes.  This meant that I maintained the lovely soft finish of the front of the blouse (I will definitely do this again).  For my sleeves I inserted them with my serger, using the differential feeds to take up the excess fabric - so serged the first part on normal and then changed the feed higher and higher as I reached the top of the sleeve, reversing the process on the way down.  No basting thread and gathering -   It did work, but not for the feint hearted I guess.

I did go off course from the video clip I guess by hand finishing the inside of the collar, but other than that it was pretty quick.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:35:00 AM by pdiddly »
Pauline

I work full time in a busy job that often takes me around the world - in my spare time love to sew and enjoy exchanging ideas with like-minded people see my blog

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #372 on: January 16, 2012, 04:19:37 PM »
Lovely blouses!

I have SAM #2 finished:

for DH.

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #373 on: January 16, 2012, 04:50:04 PM »
Bev - what a great cami shirt for DH - I'm  reading your blog also.  Nice job.
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #374 on: January 16, 2012, 06:51:58 PM »
Pauline, I just sat down and watched the Peggy Sager's video you reference.  Thank you so much.  Just ordered the pattern she was making and have a few more on a wish list.  I'm not normally a blouse wearer, prefer shirts, but sometimes, dressier occasions require a blouse.  Your blouse is lovely. 

Offline pdiddly

• P's Sewing Blog
« Reply #375 on: January 16, 2012, 07:03:40 PM »
Teresa

happy to share - as was the case with another blogger who shared with me.  I should have mentioned it in my own blog - but it was late.

Happy sewing.

Bev

great looking shirt - your DH will be able to hide from you now and you will never find him ;D
Pauline

Offline Karendee

« Reply #376 on: January 16, 2012, 09:03:04 PM »
Nice shirt, Bev.

Karen

Offline Ann

« Reply #377 on: January 17, 2012, 12:28:23 AM »
Bev, a great looking shirt for DH. I think our son-in-law would love it as he is the hunter in the family.

I got SAM 2 done today. It is a horsemanship shirt. As they have to fit closer to the body, I put in darts and curved the side seams in at the waist. I did a fair amount of top stitching on this shirt though.

Ann's Blogs

Offline martha.myers

« Reply #378 on: January 17, 2012, 01:42:51 AM »
Ann, another beautifully finished shirt! I love the way a fitted western shirt looks when it fits properly. And I love all of your shirt details. Thanks for posting the picture. Martha

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #379 on: January 17, 2012, 02:51:20 AM »
Bev, you get a big heart award for sewing for someone else! What Pauline said is funny - you won't be able to find him now!

Ann, my gosh that was fast....I am consoling myself with the knowledge that you are a pro. Sharp shirt. I love a white shirt. This one looks so classic and clean with all the topstitching.

Offline Doobee64

• Doobee's Creations
« Reply #380 on: January 17, 2012, 07:31:11 AM »
SAM #2 finished and ticked off!!! Another Butterick 5365, but with a few added details. The fit of this shirt is just perfect for me, so now it is time to jazz it up. I changed the collar to include, well, I don't know what you really call it, but it is a pleated addition anyway. Also I changed the back to have an interesting look to it...
The fabric is a cotton burnout with a paisley design to it. Lovely and cool, though I did extend the arms to cover my poor old scared up body - currently the top of one arm has a multitude of stitches. So longer sleeves it is...hope you like my version of this shirt, now I will pop this pattern away and start on a new one... more info at my blog...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:08:15 AM by Doobee64 »
Pop 'Down Under' and see what I am sewing...http://doobee64.blogspot.com/

Offline pdiddly

• P's Sewing Blog
« Reply #381 on: January 17, 2012, 07:44:34 AM »
Ann another masterpiece, it looks so sharp and of course professional.

Doobee I love the look of your shirt am off to look at your blog.
Pauline

Offline realale

« Reply #382 on: January 17, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »
Will you all please slow down!! I'm still trying to finish my jacket before starting my shirt and it just ain't happening! I've abandoned the idea of refining my own drafted pattern for the first one and have bought Simplicity 2339. I intended to do it straight out of the packet so I could test the fit, but you know how it is - I just know I'll have to shorten the sleeves, grade from one size shoulder fit to a larger hip fit etc etc so am now tracing it out.
But you lot are churning out the most beautiful shirts imaginable and making me green with envy.
I'm desperate for new shirts also, which is why I signed up.
Ann - I love that horsemanship shirt, that's just what I'm after and the embroidery on the blue one Wow!!
Now, why am I on here and not sewing? Better get a move on I suppose.
Cheers
Glenda
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Jacs

• My blog
    • My blog
« Reply #383 on: January 17, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »
 :eek2: :applause2: :applause2:  A real eye-full here tonight - Ann a very satisfied customer I bet with those wonderful shirts - I have enjoyed your blog entries about the shirt journeys - I like the styling of the white one.

Pauline I was interested to read of how you managed to go from woe to go all in an afternoon to appear as the belle for your date.  Thanks for the tip about the buttonholes - I do not think I am daring enough to try that serger trick for inserting the sleeves.

Doobee another masterpiece showing how repeating a TNT can be extremely rewarding - I might have to copy that back button idea - it looks very ready to wearish.

I am still immersed in my lace shirt journey ( at the end of long days spring cleaning the house - done the kitchen now the freezers need clean outs before harvest time).  I found this interesting variation on the lace shirt at Andropolgie
  I am not sure if I could carry this look off but from the front it looks very sophisticated but demure.  I have seen lots of skirts with this type of hem line and to be honest it looks rather trashy - or maybe some of the girls wearing them need a little more advice (no!! UGG boots and this skirt and a slash T??? Girl what were you thinking????) :o However on this shirt it looks interesting.  What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:58:56 AM by Jacs »

Offline Soupdragon

• The Material Lady
« Reply #384 on: January 17, 2012, 10:20:53 AM »
Wow - you don't check for a couple of days and everyone posts fabulous stuff. The standard is really high - you guys really know how to raise the bar!
I have decided to self draft a really simple shirt for my first shirt to get the fit just right. And then get creative (I hope).
Well done to all of you who have already finished a shirt (or more!)
Kim

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics