Author Topic: What machines do you have?? 2  (Read 67999 times)

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
What machines do you have?? 2
« on: December 10, 2011, 06:36:46 AM »
Please continue the discussion from the prior thread ("What machines do you have??") here.

Enjoy!

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline FourIsCompany

• Bewunderer der Hunde
Re: What machines do you have?? 2
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »
I'll be the first to respond in this new thread. :)

I have a Bernette 740E that my husband bought for me before we were married over 20 years ago. And next week, I'm getting a Bernina 830 Record. That's it, so far...

Offline Padme

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 02:06:39 PM »
I've got a Bernina 930 and a Bernette 334DS serger
A Singer 57817C 17 stitch straight and zigzag machine.
A Viking 770 computerized machine and a Huskylock 936 serger
A Viking Scandinavia 100 sewing machine
A Singer 237 from the 60's in a cabinet.

All in the order that I got them.

5 machines and 2 sergers.  Seems like a lot written down.

Offline jsinger

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 04:29:23 PM »
I have a Viking 6460, my first "good" machine, purchased new in 1977.  I still consider it one of the best machines ever made.  Unfortunately,it wasn't used for over a year (family emergency) and is now frozen.  I hope to have it rehabilitated someday.
Also, a Viking #1 purchased used in 1994.  I keeping it mostly as a back-up.  A friend said that she wants to buy it but hasn't come through yet.
I'm currently using a Viking Designer SE, a demo purchased in 2007.
The #1 and the SE are excellent machines and they do a lot and do it well but I'm still secretly in love with my 6460.
Joyce in Pittsburgh

Offline bela saudade

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 11:12:53 PM »
I have a motley crew, but I enjoy them and most importantly they all work. I'm not a fan of non-functioning machines no matter how pretty.  Sorry I don't know all the numbers off the top of my head. I'm a bad sewing machine mom, yes?

a. Vintage Kenmore 1318 - New old machine purchase. Great machine. All metal and still pretty quiet. Great for heavy duty sewing.
b. Vintage 1950's Japanese "Sister"- toy sewing machine that actually sews a darn good chain stitch. It is blue and adorable. The motor sounds like a baby buzz saw, but it works. The repairmen said it was a lot of fun to get running again.
c. Vintage Eldredge Rotary (Singer Clone) in cabinet-  a gorgeous machine I got for FREE. Sews so nice, it is the preferred machine of my manly sweetheart. I think he likes the "real machine" feel and the knee pedal.
d. A Janome Memory craft 4000 early computerized model- my main machine. I decorate her case with stickers I picked up from various travels.
e. A Singer Serger (number ???). It's a cheapy model that I mainly use to hem and for knits. It does the job. If I was more interested in serging, I would upgrade but I'm not. I've actually come to prefer other seam finishes unless I'm making active wear. 

I'm pretty pleased with my current machine family and have no plans to acquire anything new unless something breaks beyond repair. I do enjoy browsing ebay and craigslist though.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:46:44 AM by bela saudade »

Offline Merl

• "
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 12:53:32 AM »
Hey bela saudade, welcome to Stitcher's Guild !
Sounds like a pretty good "herd" you got going there.
I like the heavy weight machines myself, and the treadles, and the industrials....
just so long as they are not computerized.
I agree with you too, they all have to work. I have to admit though some of my machines are just for parts or they need work that they probably won't get.
You had better watch out with Craig's List though, especially if your husband likes sewing machines too.
It's a slippery slope you head down once you start saying "I'm just going to look and see what's out there..." Ask me how I know ;)
Anyway, welcome to the site. It's a good place to hang out and talk about sewing machines and just about anything else.

Offline amandabab

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 01:51:21 AM »
My most recent Ebay find

It runs as good as it looks  ;D

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 03:00:20 AM »
amandabab, is that a Fotomatic?  I have a couple of ancient Morse machines, but haven't seen one of these except in pictures.  Oddly, someone sent an email to me just yesterday about one...  K

Offline Merl

• "
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 03:08:25 AM »
WOW WOW WOW ! ! !
Is that ever a NICE looking machine!
I sure hope it works as nice as it looks  :laugh:
And, if you ever find you have just one too many machines, send me a PM... ;)

Offline bela saudade

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 03:10:08 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Merl! Yes browsing is dangerous but I just can't help myself. My saving grace is running out of room in my sewing space. Once I convert my basement well a few more might follow me home lol. :) Amandabab that is beautiful!

Offline annenet

• Lighthouse fanatic and avid climber
    • Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 03:11:31 AM »
What a fantastic machine! Beautiful!
Too many ideas, not enough time.

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

Offline Merl

• "
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 03:23:58 AM »
Well bela, read some of my previous posts about sneaking the latest machine in the house under the cover of darkness...
It doesn't end with simply running out of room or money or even the tolerance of ones spouse.
There are still a few treadle machines I would like to find and I could collect Wheeler & Wilson industrial machines for a long time but, you do have to draw the line somewhere.
I admit to looking for one specific make and model of treadle machine but, I won't even mention the name in case it might suddenly appear and lead me back down the dark path of "acquisition" ;D

Offline amandabab

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 03:29:13 AM »
amandabab, is that a Fotomatic?  I have a couple of ancient Morse machines, but haven't seen one of these except in pictures.  Oddly, someone sent an email to me just yesterday about one...  K
yes its a 1960's fotomatic IV

WOW WOW WOW ! ! !
Is that ever a NICE looking machine!

Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:32:40 AM by amandabab »

Offline PattiH

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 03:47:56 AM »
Oh, my gosh, that is a totally cool machine.  I am keeping my eyes open for something like that at an estate or yard sale.  I don't buy from ebay cause I don't want to pay the shipping.  I am sure that something will pop up sooner or later.

You are one lucky person!

Patti

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 04:40:50 AM »
Ooooh that's pretty.  I think so many machines have a design style that mimics those of cars from the same era (or vice versa!).
Karen

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 09:58:49 AM »
Amanda, does that Morse also get longwave?  What a fantastic looking machine!!  Bela Saudade, welcome.

Elizabethn
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline Merl

• "
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »
Amanda, does that Morse also get longwave? 

Ha Ha ! ejvc, you're so funny!
Do they even broadcast in long wave anymore?
My old all band radio needs a vacuum tube somewhere...

Offline bela saudade

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 01:48:34 AM »
Amanda, does that Morse also get longwave?  What a fantastic looking machine!!  Bela Saudade, welcome.

Elizabethn
Thank you Elizabethn!
Merl you have me thinking about smuggling in a Featherweight between broccoli spears in my reusable grocery bags. Yes I better stay off Ebay.

Offline Merl

• "
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 05:23:10 AM »
I think it's already too late for you bela.
If you're looking for a Featherweight and you already know you will have to sneak it in the house....You're hooked. ;D
That reminds me, I think I might be getting great grandma's Featherweight for Christmas from a cousin of mine.
I better call her and see where we are at with that deal.

Offline bela saudade

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 02:48:23 AM »
Merl I saw a beautiful Featherweight on e-bay today. I may have to quit e-bay surfing cold turkey . :-\

Offline Pina

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 03:40:45 AM »
Merl,the nice old lady in your avatar doesn't look her age at all.  ;) I like your Wheeler & Wilson # 8 "Family and Light Industrial" !  :)

When DH came home from a trip to the (closed) post office and dairy across the border around noon today,he told me that he almost bought me an old,but cute little light weight sewing machine.( He never bought me a sewing machine before,only vintage accessories ).He thought it was way too expensive,as nice as it looked.
My ears suddenly grew antennas.  ??? I asked him,what brand and color was the light weight machine ? Black he answered,but he didn't pay attention to the brand.When I asked him,did it say Featherweight on the machine  ;D,he said yes,that's what the man at the store called it.Although I have no intention to buy an expensive machine,I will take a trip across the border to look at the Featherweight on Monday or Tuesday.  :D

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 03:45:09 AM by Pina »

Offline PattiH

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 04:46:59 AM »
Of course, as we all know, expensive is relative. Hopefully, it is not 'expensive' as far as a Featherweight goes.

I have gone and done it again.  Another machine followed me home today from an estate sale. 

You can part of the cabinet in the top picture.  The cabinet is custom built for the machine, with really cute drawers on it.  The machine needs some TLC before I can use it.  It is a Kenmore 117.841 that was made in 1958. 

Patti

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 04:59:21 PM »
Definitely, Pina, expensive is totally based on what you are willing to pay (as collectible is based on whether there is a collector out there!)

Phamel, nice Kenmore.  Are you one of those/us who tries to track where the machine came from, or do you like it just for what it is?  I do both myself, sometimes I like to know the history of a machine, sometimes I just like the aesthetics and how it works or looks.   ;D  I think Sears machines were made mostly by White for many years, but I don't know when the Kenmore branding came into play.  Janome makes Kenmores now, but Janome did not exist in the 1950s.  Janome came from New Home, which did exist back then, but had some financial difficulties and may have disappeared for a while?  I'm not totally sure about this.  I think there was a period of time maybe in the 1950s when New Home went away, and White was in question, as home sewing was sort of questionable, and I'm not sure who was making Sears machines.  Somewhere in there Kenmore became a brand, and I've never really gotten the timeline straight.  Kind of interesting how the companies managed to keep it all going and sort it out to get where they are today!

Interesting tidbit (perhaps only to me, but so be it).  Back in the 20s, I've read, Sears produced a line of machines that were literal duplicates of the Singers of the time.  Even labeled them Singer.  There was quite a trademark war, primarily because Sears was undercutting the price with their "Singer" versus the real one.  I bet there is a movie class story there!  (well, ok, maybe only we might go, but still...)  K

Offline PattiH

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 06:41:13 PM »
Karent,

I had to laugh a little, as I always do research on the age and manufacturer of every machine I buy.  This one was made in 1958 by White, but was actually manufactured in Germany. 

My  Featherweight was made in 1953, my 401 was made in 1955, Singer Redeye was made in 1931 and my Franklin (also made by White for Sears) was manufactured in 1927.   I also have a newer Singer 5525 made in 1982-1984 and my Brother 4000D is from 2007 (I think).

I just like to know something about the machines I have.  Most of them also have names.  ;)

Patti

Offline amandabab

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 06:49:49 PM »
That kenmore is NICE.

Offline Jennifer Hill

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 10:46:26 PM »
Interesting tidbit (perhaps only to me, but so be it).  Back in the 20s, I've read, Sears produced a line of machines that were literal duplicates of the Singers of the time.  Even labeled them Singer.  There was quite a trademark war, primarily because Sears was undercutting the price with their "Singer" versus the real one.  I bet there is a movie class story there!  (well, ok, maybe only we might go, but still...)  K

I'm pretty sure this story is incorrect.   First of all, Sears never made their own machines, certainly not in the 20th century, anyways.  They always contracted from real manufacturers and had their brand names stenciled onto the heads. Most retailers followed this process.

There were trademark wars in the 1860s-70s triggered when other makers attempted to appropriate the Singer name to promote their unauthorized copies, but Singer was able to legally shut down this practice quite quickly in the USA, although it took a bit longer to nail the German infringers.  It did result in the international recognition of trade marks, and ultimately all intellectual property.  I'm pretty sure Sears was never implicated in this practice.

Jennifer in Calgary

Offline Merl

• "
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 04:37:12 AM »
Pina, I'm glad you're enjoying the #8.
Too bad you don't live close by. I bet you would like it even more if you could try it out.
It is a great little machine for sure. One of these days I'll post a picture of it here in this thread so you can at least get a better look at it. BTW, I was wondering, if that machine your DH found is a Featherweight, Where do you think you'll put it? ( I'm assuming if it is, that you will come home with it ;D)
Phamel you certainly are a lucky duck! That machine looks good but, that table looks GREAT !
I want to make something like that for my sewing/weaving studio but, my table will be able to have any one of my machines set up in it by having an adapter plate for each of them to fit the opening in the table top.
Bela, you have been warned... ;)

Online Lyn-J

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 06:14:42 PM »
Bernina record 730 - my first big buy as a teenager - and its still running well
Pfaff 1473CD - umm - my daughter uses it now.
Bernette 334D (I think that's the no.)  - overlocker 20+ years old and still going strong
Bernina 180E my main sewing and embroidery machine
Bernina 1300MCD coverstitch (and just in case overlocker)
And the Artista designer software.

I think  favourite has to be the 730 - I made my wedding dress and my children's clothes with it.
It runs really quietly and never has hiss fits :-)
Lynne

Offline bela saudade

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 09:37:57 PM »
  Most of them also have names.  ;)

Patti

For some reason I'm really fond of the name Hildegarde. My car is Hildy 1, Janome is Hildy 2, dressform Hildy 3. I did name my new old Kenmore after the lovely lady I bought it from - Molly. My man just calls the Eldredge the "smooth machine" so that's what I call it too. I don't have a name for the serger...nothing nice anyway! That thing is a menace. 

Merl my saving grace is no ebay account and sheer laziness. However,  they do have a few sewing machines on etsy! That's a concern.  >:(
I

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 10:12:03 PM »
My dress form is Lizzy - what my dad called me when I was either in trouble or being very good  :).  My 201 is Mabel - my mother's middle name that I was enamoured of when I was a kid and the name of her dress form that my sister did whatever the heck with.  My Viking really has no name, nor does my New Home (though I lean towards Sally - she came from the Salvation Army).  I think the Viking is a guy, though.  Serger?  That one's easy - Carol, after my friend's aunt who originally bought it. 

Offline annenet

• Lighthouse fanatic and avid climber
    • Sewingtechie blog
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 12:37:59 AM »
The only thing here named is my dress form - I call her Coco. Not sure why.
Too many ideas, not enough time.

http://sewingtechie.blogspot.com/

Offline DeniseM

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
My dress form is named Headless Helga. She is my ever-silent assistant. My bikes are Tigger, Bubbles and Poppit.

That's a nice machine, Patti. Very classic.

I have the Viking 6370 and it was frozen after years of sitting at my sister's house in a less than ideal climate. I brought it to my local dealer in Va. and he said to throw it away. But I couldn't part with it, so I brought it to my new dealer in Nashua, and voila, he fixed it.

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2011, 12:37:42 AM »
That's neat that you named your bikes, Denise.  I dd too.  The mountain bike is referred to as The Pig or Arnold, (Zwiffel, not Schwarzenegger), and my old racing bike is referred to as Red, Big Red or Red Ryder depending on my mood.  Neither one has been out of the garage in a month since I hate riding in the cold.  Eventually most everything gets a name even if it's "Mom's rollerskate".

Offline CassandraW

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2011, 08:54:45 PM »
I have two Berninas (1630 and 1008), a Bernette 004D serger, a Juki TL-98Q, and a Reliable MSK-588 hemmer.  I love, love, love my Juki TL-98Q!!  It is fast, sews through, any type of fabric and makes a beautiful straight stitch.  My 1630 is in the closet; my 1008 is used for buttonholes or to take to sewing class.  I use my serge and hemmer a lot.  I sew clothing for myself and don't need any type of embroidery equipment.  My Juki is fabulous for me - love the knee lifter, needle up/down,  and the thread cutting button on the foot pedal!

Offline twoxover

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 02:49:06 AM »
i have:
a viking 350 (love this machine!)
a babylock ellure that i use for embroidery (it's about 10 years old now and no complaints here)
a singer treadle
a featherweight that was born in 1937
a singer 99k

I purchased for my 17 year old a Pfaff 1016 for christmas this year...it was 50- on ebay.  sews like a dream.  Does anyone have a pfaff 1530 or 2020 they want to sell me? 

My car (a vw jetta tdi) is "leisel the diesel" and my vespa lxv is "luigi".   and oh...the hubby bought me a dressform for Christmas thsi year...she was promptly named Bertha.

Betsey

ps-that Morse is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics