Author Topic: neck pillow cover  (Read 2775 times)

Offline rosieg

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
neck pillow cover
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:23:19 PM »
Does any one have a pattern for a u shaped neck pillow cover?
I need to put a case over one so i can wash it as my dd drools at night

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
Re: neck pillow cover
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:05:37 PM »
Have you tried googling for it?  I did that when I needed to make a boppy cover and I got a lot of hits.  You might need to sift through a fair number of patterns, but you should find something.  Wish I could help.
Laurie H

http://my.inbox.com/photos/missjean/index.aspx   password is 'photos'

Offline Hen

• sewing in New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 02:41:50 PM »
I made a cover for a nursing pillow. I just took the pillow and tried and wrapped and measured and succeeded.
I guess those pillows come in different sizes so working with an available pattern seems tricky.

Offline Pina

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 01:37:16 AM »
Here is a free pdf pattern and instructions.

Online karent

• One shoe can change your life - Cinderella
    • ACorgiHouse
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 07:14:42 AM »
Do you have a current pillow, or are you looking for a pattern for the pillow itself?  There are all kinds of these pillows out there, and they are not in any kind of uniform standard.  I have recently had a heckofa time with a pinched nerve in my neck.  Just went to a chiropracter today, after massage therapy, steroids, and all manner of other stuff.  May I say the chiropractor did more good than anything I've tried so far?  Outstanding!  I was terrified, but got good recommendations from people I know and went to someone longstanding in town... so, I digress.  Sorry.  I've been using a neck pillow at night and needed a cover to change out.  It is a rice thing and I microwave it which makes it warm, and feels good, but makes it a bit sweaty (sorry, prob TMI).  I just traced off the one that fits.  They aren't snug (at least this one isn't).  The one I got is from BB&B (too lazy and desperate to make one.)  It has an original cover made from a minky stuff that feels nice room temp, but when microwaved/heated gets dampish.  I can't explain why, no idea, but feels wierd.  I used some basic muslin type fabric which makes a smoother cover, heats more uniformly, and was pretty quick and dirty to sew.  I just laid the old cover down on paper and traced around it, rolling out the seam allowances to make sure they fit around the pillow.  No shaping otherwise.  K

Offline susandf

• The Destashification Project
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 02:11:23 AM »
http://paturydesign.com/files/u_shaped_neck_pillow_patterng.pdf

http://mudpuddlesanddaisies.blogspot.com/2010/12/travel-pillow.html

are two sites with free patterns.  They may be about the correct size.  However, making a cover would require an opening - zipper, buttons, etc., and these patterns don't have such.

Hope they help somewhat anyway.
http://destashification.wordpress.com/

What Lies beyond the Destash?

Online karent

• One shoe can change your life - Cinderella
    • ACorgiHouse
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 06:54:32 AM »
Yes, I failed to say that the cover I have has a simple overlap as a closure.  On one side, the piece is actually cut in two pieces that overlap by about an inch.  It is just enough to pull apart and shove the pillow in, and then fall back together and cover it when the pillow is smoothed back out.  Much simpler than a zipper or button, and doesn't make a bump against your neck.  K

Offline Evez

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 06:52:31 AM »
I use a small down pillow. It's just big enough to provide a little support for the back of my neck. Compresses small and provides some warmth.

Many weight conscious members use a stuff sac filled with clothes etc. so they do not have to carry an extra item. Personally, somethings are worth carrying even if they are a single use item.

Offline Pipsy

• Ulysses July 2 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 08:52:13 AM »
I also use a down pillow but I use it for the small of my back. Being a petite proportion person I find a lot of 'back friendly' chairs / cars/ airplane seats/ medical tables don't support me where I need it.  The lovely thing about down is that it compresses well so I use it a lot when flying. Once compressed it doesn't take up much room.  BUT I have left a number behind of seats I have vacated, so now use very bright fabric for the covers and I sew a loop on one corner so I can carry it on my wrist.  Several of my neighbours have asked me to make one for them. The pillow forms they purchased were too firm.
If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
My soul is fed by my needle and thread.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics