Author Topic: SWAP 2012 Discussion  (Read 97189 times)

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
Re: SWAP 2012 Discussion
« Reply #525 on: February 01, 2012, 01:57:01 AM »
speaking of dresses ... I know you are looking at a woven, Elizabeth, but I must describe a 2-piece dress I saw today.
Ruthie's (very cute) bright knit dress reminded me of this.

A co-worker wore a knit top with a matching knit skirt today and it really looked good.  I studied the whole thing as she walked by.
The top looked like the Christine Jonson Princess Wrap pattern, perhaps a little longer & more tunic-like.   The skirt beneath was a gored skirt.  There was a matching tie belt at the waist.
It was a colorful print ITY and gave the look of a dress, but it was really two pieces.
She is about my age.  I wonder where she got it?  It was really cute.

Offline subversivesewer

• Someday I will figure this sewing thing out!
    • Crafty Citizen
« Reply #526 on: February 01, 2012, 04:45:11 AM »
thanks, RuthieK and Lynda!!  I did it and it worked!  I just put it on the storyboard thread.  I haven't chosen the last garment that I'll make twice yet, but it's a start!  I also only have fabric for 2 of the garments! 
Nikki- Palmetto, FL
Former PR member known as candyo

http://craftycitizen.wordpress.com
Instagram: orangeblossompr

We can't do better unless we know what needs improvement.  I welcome all feedback!

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #527 on: February 01, 2012, 09:07:44 AM »
Robin, I agree that knit two-pieces are really nice.  I have two issues: 1) I've used up all my t-shirt patterns; and 2) I really don't lke the way I look in knit skirts, much less patterned knit skirts.  However, they are far less in danger of looking frumpy. 

Vandy, great stuff, but I especially love that Chanin t-shirt.  I keep wanting to make one but it always fall to the bottom of my list of projects.  Well done.

I spent a long time yesterday thinking about what I want to do for my pink blouse.  By nature I prefer printed blouses to plain ones, and if they are plain the fabric has to be a bit special, and we all know what it's like looking for a specific fabric with "something".  I finally decided on a pink eyelet.  I absolutely loved the eyelet styles shown in the Feb Vogue magazine.  My eyelet is nowhere near as pretty as those were, but we'll see how it comes out.  I'm going to use it for the Rachel Comey blouse with the tie front/tie sleeves/button back.  I think it will have a pretty and retro feel in eyelet, so I'm hopeful.

I have to revise my revised plan, but I'm waiting because I'm trying to decide the exact pattern for my white shirt.  I've got this fine linen, and I want something with pintucks, I think.  Ottobre has a pattern for a shirt like that (and I could put to good use my knowledge of Ottobre patterns), but no one else has made one so I'm hesitating.
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #528 on: February 01, 2012, 05:47:27 PM »
I revise my Swap about 4 times a day. Thanks for links on how to do a storyboard with Word...I may be able to finally manage to post a storyboard.

Elizabeth, I also have a piece of linen and have had the pintuck urge. At the moment, the urge has passed (but, stay tuned!)

If you have a stack of old Burdas, look at #117/10/2007. It is very similar to but a slightly less ornate version of #110/4 2010. The 2010 is available as a download:

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #529 on: February 01, 2012, 08:51:25 PM »
I'd say that's similar.  In fact I have the line drawings for 2009 scanned and printed.  Lots of good shirts that year!

I was thinking 9/2009-118 possibly -- it's a scoop neck with a long tie that might look nice in linen.  I'm out of practice finding Burda line drawings or I'd show you.

Offline Morzel

• Hamburg, Germany
    • Blog
« Reply #530 on: February 01, 2012, 08:59:56 PM »
Lovely things to see at your blog, yorkshire lass! Looks so classic, simple elegance. Love it.
Eva

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #531 on: February 01, 2012, 10:22:26 PM »
Hi, for anyone seeking general wardrobe inspiration, I've updated my little thumbnails of older collections on my blog so they now link to larger versions of the pictures, and added things from May 2010 to current.
These include SWAPs, 6PACs, Wardrobe in a week (what a daft idea of mine that was) and other wardrobe collections.
I'm debating what to do with my 2006-2007 collections, as since these were early attempts they are a bit embarassing now!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:07:21 PM by RuthieK »

Offline Hen

• sewing in New Zealand
« Reply #532 on: February 01, 2012, 11:03:17 PM »
I liked the Wardrobe-in-a-week, I think it is the only sew-along/competition I ever finished! I was actually thinking about doing one somewhere in the first weeks after our container arrives, I will have been without sewing for 3+ months then!

Offline ahearta

• Sew Well
« Reply #533 on: February 02, 2012, 03:28:01 AM »
Hi all,

I have almost completely reworked my SWAP since my original story board (see current progress here), and I should really make a new one.  I'm happy where my SWAP is right now, but I'm currently debating whether I should use one pattern for each double in order to build a TNT.  Right now I've used the same pattern for two Ts and will use the same pattern for two pairs of jeans.  When reworking my SWAP in December, I settled on two different jackets and two different blouses to round out my plans.  But, I'm now wondering about repeating the blouse pattern and skirt pattern to truly make them into TNTs.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Amy

Offline Pipsy

• Ulysses July 2 2011
« Reply #534 on: February 02, 2012, 04:52:58 AM »
I have always been interested in story boards, not that I am doing anything this year.  I am impressed with the Word documents sites.  I am currently using Open Office, and just getting used to it.  Does anyone know if using the Word document instructions would work with Open Office?
If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
My soul is fed by my needle and thread.

Offline Quincunx

• The Pen is Mightier than the Sword
« Reply #535 on: February 02, 2012, 11:45:13 AM »
Just wanted to report in here--still sewing even with visitors in the apartment--easy enough to sit with the others and chat if you have to do hand work, and ripping out seams is hand work!  (I'm reusing the straight skirt muslin for the yoked skirt.  So what if the hem creeps up a few inches every iteration?  The issues are all up top.)
Projects in Progress (photos only) - Technophile sans blog

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #536 on: February 02, 2012, 01:16:52 PM »
Thanks to a wonderful comment on my blog from Bessie Crocker, I've been introduced to a new independent European company, http://patterncompany.eu/ -- they have a flounced skirt resembling the one I was looking for.  I may not use it but it's nice to look at new patterns!

Offline yorkshire lass

« Reply #537 on: February 04, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »
These are my fourth and fifth pieces for the SWAP.  I already have an overdress, blouse, and jacket, and they are now joined by the first pair of trousers, which aren't hemmed permanently yet because I found I need some new shoes to wear with my lovely new SWAP and will wait to hem the trousers until I can try them on with the shoes they will be worn with.  Also joined by the second jacket, in boiled wool.  The trim was crocheted from knitting yarn and I'm rather pleased with how it came out.  There are more photos on my blog. 
The rather unhappy look on my face is not related to the clothes but to the weather.  It was utterly freezing when I took the photos and I was very, very cold.  This is also the reason why the photos were taken with me still wearing a long sleeved tee shirt which I couldn't bear to remove and replace with a more suitable top. 

eta: clickable images :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:12:39 PM by Lisa »

Offline eleonore

• discovering the sheer joy of right brain activity
    • EleonoresSWAP
« Reply #538 on: February 04, 2012, 08:16:41 PM »
Yorkshirelass, I just love that jacket and the trousers are fitting beautifully. You are really moving with your  swap. Keep up the great work.
Kind Regards
Eleonore in Brisbane Australia
http://www.eleonoresswap.blogspot.com

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #539 on: February 04, 2012, 08:30:51 PM »
Oh Jenni, your pieces are gorgeous :-)

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #540 on: February 04, 2012, 08:50:01 PM »
As usual, wonderful clothes, Jenni.  I love the colours on the jacket!

Elizabeth

Offline KathrynT

« Reply #541 on: February 04, 2012, 08:53:22 PM »
ahearta, I would use the same pattern twice.  I think the original intention was that you would use the pattern twice to develop TNTs and I think it's worth it to give the pattern a run with 2 different fabrics.  It's usually easier and faster the second time and sometimes a different fabric can show you one or two tweaks to make that pattern even better.

SewYLD, lovely!  I looked on your blog and the fit of the pants and the jacket is perfect.

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #542 on: February 04, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
Jenni gorgeous outfits and I just love that crocheted trim.
Sharon, Sydney, Australia

Petite and Sewing

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #543 on: February 04, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
Feeling very cheerful.  Got a really nice Boden catalogue in the mail with a bunch of print skirts made in simple a-line and straight shapes with printed linen.  Ambled over to eBay and found a great printed linen in all my colours - it's a diagonally printed plaid and I think will make a great shirt + shell combo.  So I have at the very least a back up.

It's freezing now in London, very unusual.  We are having the very first snow of the winter, but more than that, it's COLD.  All the water is frozen. It's a couple of inches thick on the artificial lakes in the Barbican -- the coots look pretty funny sliding around on the ice.

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #544 on: February 05, 2012, 01:44:26 AM »
Jenni, your jacket is so beautiful with the trim and everything looks just exquisite.
Beautiful work!  I hope you find great shoes, too!

Elizabeth, sounds like you hit the jackpot!  I love Boden, too.

Offline yorkshire lass

« Reply #545 on: February 05, 2012, 10:20:33 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I'm blushing here. 
ejvc, the print you found sounds fabulous.  We have snow here too and the dog had a fabulous time on her walk this morning, rushing about the place with her nose in the snow, and is now dripping  gently all over my clean duvet.   ;D

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #546 on: February 05, 2012, 01:34:49 PM »
Snow here too so I stayed in and sewed up the black knit dress - my first February piece.
Must admit it was GREAT sewing this in daylight, as I would have struggled with all the black on black in artificial evening light.

This is New Look 6071 with the skirt lengthened by 9" and flared out slightly more. On this version the sleeves are the full length on the pattern.
The fabric is a stretchy black jersey from the stash. Not sure on the content but I think viscose, polyester and elastane from the hand, but we'll have to see what it is like to wear and launder. I'm hoping this will be a classic black dress. Black is not great for me around the face, so I will fill the deep neckline with a bold necklace, scarf or cami in good colours. This is my 7th piece of the SWAP, and the second using this dress pattern.
No excuses now I shall have to go outside and clear the snow off my drive. :-)

Offline Debbie S

« Reply #547 on: February 05, 2012, 08:26:30 PM »
jenni

Your boiled wool jacket is wonderful.  I have attempted to shrink wool jersey for a boiled wool effect but was not pleased with the results.  Did you buy your boiled wool and if so where?  I still hope to make several things this winter but have not found the time yet.

Deb
Deb

Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Offline vandyh

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #548 on: February 05, 2012, 10:45:11 PM »
Ok, the boiled wool jacket is gorgeous and full of win! As is that black dress! Like everyone else I keep wanting to make more new and interesting things for this SWAP. There are just SO MANY cool ideas and neat things to make! I've never done a lot of lurking or posting on forums, but I'n finding this very inspiring so thanks everyone for posting such great things!

SWAP is being an interesting experience for me - almost all of the sewing I have done in the past has been historical reproductions or historically inspired designs for myself and my family, and I've done several ridiculously complicated wedding dresses for friends. Once I figured out that each of the items I'm making for SWAP, even the more complicated ones, is going to take only a fraction of the time it would take to make anything like I'm used to, I got super excited! I think I'm a convert to making most of my own clothes. I usually have to alter things I get or shop around a lot, and it probably takes less time to just make clothes that fit me well. So I'm all for starting my own set of TNT's with this SWAP. Now I just have to rein in my enthusiasm and stick to a plan... but there are soooo many neat designs...

Another interesting aspect of this SWAP is timing. I'm going to be traveling to sell my art at various events so will be away from home and camping for most of March. Then I'm going to Germany and Sweden in the middle of April. That doesn't leave a lot of time for sewing. So I've come up with a strategy. I'm going to try to get most of my stuff cut out and get the main machine work done in the next month. Then I'll spend the month I'm traveling doing all of the hand work, hems, and general finishing on the garments. I'll finish things up at the beginning or April and get photos done, and hopefully I'll end up with a complete SWAP!

On a side note, I just found a sewing and needlework specific thrift store here in Portland! It is awesome! And I got a whole bunch of patterns for ten cents each since they'd been donated in such a disorganized manner and the store owners didn't want to try to sort them out. While the store has fabric and yarn and such, there are also bins of unused zippers and elastic and lace and trim...and... and... so dangerous but also so much better than buying at new prices. Of course this means I may be changing some of the patterns I'm working from. :-)

-Vandy

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #549 on: February 06, 2012, 12:47:07 AM »
wow Vandy, you hit the jackpot, too!  A thrift store devoted to sewing notions, patterns, etc is such a great idea.  Wouldn't we all love to unload thing there when we are cleaning out the sewing room, and shop for goodies there when necessary. 

I look forward to seeing what you decide to sew.  I have not done a storyboard this year because it felt constraining the last time I started a SWAP.
Instead, I am letting the concept of the TNT pattern guide me.  I don't work on anything unless it is a TNT or could become a TNT.  Then, I make multiples using fabric from the stash.  I am sure I will sew more than 11 items, and I am sure I will be scratching my head to figure out which 11 pieces will make up my final SWAP, but I feel a lot more motivated this way.
Fortunately, I have plenty of black and white fabrics (solids and prints) and my wardrobe always works with black and white.

So there I have it, I have deduced that I am sewing a SWAP of basics that work with black and white.

Offline yorkshire lass

« Reply #550 on: February 06, 2012, 08:41:17 AM »
Hi Deb
Thanks for your kind words.  I did buy the boiled wool, both for this and the navy version.  The wine coloured wool came from Fabrix in Lancaster.  The website address is here:
http://www.fabrix.org.uk/
I am not certain whether she does mail order or not, but I've had swatches sent out to me so it seems likely she might.  The shop is run by a lovely lady called Terri who is super helpful.
The navy boiled wool came from Preston Market and I don't think there is a website for him. 
Another potential source of boiled wool is Craftswoman Fabrics in Northern Ireland (who definitely do mail order) www.craftswomanfabrics.co.uk/ or you could try M Rosenberg and Son http://www.mrosenbergandson.com/.  It is best to ring him as his stock is always changing.
Hope that helps.
Jenni

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #551 on: February 06, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »
Ruthie, another item, your black dress will be a good workhorse and I am looking forward to seeing what accessories you use to keep the black away from your face, as this is one of the main issues I have with black.

Vandy, what a find, and I like your idea for completing the SWAP, something I need to keep in mind when I travel.

I have finished my 5th item, a Navy Linen Skirt using Vogue 7937 view A (without the belt loops).

As usual there is a lot more information and pictures on my blog.
Sharon, Sydney, Australia

Petite and Sewing

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #552 on: February 06, 2012, 12:04:45 PM »
Sharon, checked out the blog and you are going great!  What a beautiful blouse that is too.

Found the picture of the print I picked up -- am waiting for it to be delivered too see the weight, etc.  Described as lightweight viscose/linen, but that could really mean anything.  If it's good, the seller has some other fabrics, one print in particular, that I may snap up.

Elizabeth

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #553 on: February 06, 2012, 07:29:18 PM »
The colours are very you Elizabeth :-)

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #554 on: February 07, 2012, 10:44:53 AM »
OK, if this fabric has linen in it then I'll eat my hat.  It may be viscose.  I'll wash it and see what happens.  It's super drapey and perfect for a wider skirt and blouse.  My "shirt dress" look may be back on.

Elizabeth

Offline PattiH

« Reply #555 on: February 07, 2012, 02:33:56 PM »
Yeah, I was curious to see if it really was linen, because the picture sure didn't look like it. 

We'll be waiting to see how it works out for you. :)

PattiH

Offline reethi

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #556 on: February 07, 2012, 10:08:25 PM »
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking on this SWAP thread for a while, planning and sewing along. I finally finished an actual outfit though, so it seemed like a good time to come out of lurkdom.

The pants are a copy of some RTW pants that fit me reasonably well - I've had many pant failures in the past, and thought I'd start with a pattern that fit, vs. trying to figure out pant fitting issues (beyond my skill level, I think.)

The blouse is a Burda Style 06-2011-106. (Super easy!)

More details on my blog - http://weekendcrafting.blogspot.com

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #557 on: February 07, 2012, 10:36:24 PM »
Reethi, how nice to see you here. 
Your blouse and pants look super!  No wonder you are smiling, you should be proud to wear such a classy ensemble.
I wish I could see the pants better- they look like a very nice fit.  congrats!

Offline Morzel

• Hamburg, Germany
    • Blog
« Reply #558 on: February 09, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
Nice outfit, Reethie!
Sharon, you are really moving on, and those are really great classic TNTs. Wonderful skirt.

I finished a jeans yesterday which I *almost* like  ;D (yes, a bit of tweaking still to do). I am a bit put off, they look homemade, because it is all new fabric. RTW jeans have that stonewashed look. Does anyone know how to achieve that look? (Without having to put stones into my washing machine, that is...)
Eva

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #559 on: February 10, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »
Reethi, how nice your outfit looks!  Welcome!

I know I'm starting late (I blame the Winter Collection) but I have just cut my first two SWAP items, trousers and a skirt in a lovely white cotton twill that Hen gave me at the London sewing meet-up a year and a half ago!   It was a stretch to fit both on the fabric (I had initially planned the skirt in linen but when I looked at the fabric I thought I just might squeeze it out).  I had resigned myself to piecing the yoke of the skirt and had gone up to the scrap box to see what might do for the facing, when I found another half-metre piece that Hen had so thoughtfully included.  Thank you Hen!!! 

I now need zippers and some buttons, the ones I have being unsuitable (that's always the case, isn't it?)  Maybe I can take the girl button shopping.  She likes that sometimes.

Elizabeth

ETA: I put the new storyboard here, on the storyboards thread.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:31:35 PM by ejvc »

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics