Author Topic: Place Mat Size?  (Read 14032 times)

Offline Neha smith

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
Place Mat Size?
« on: October 28, 2011, 09:28:18 AM »
Our family will be having a reunion by May next year. I am thinking of knitting place mats for us to use by that time. Do you have any suggestions as to what pattern would best apply? And what's the best size?
I hope you can give me answers for this is my first time knitting a place mat.
Thanks a lot!! :)

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
Re: Place Mat Size?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 11:25:52 AM »
Neha, I want to welcome you to SG and don't want to discourage you from posting and participating in our discussions.  We're a crafty bunch and welcome anyone. But I did notice that you're looking for knitting help and while a good many of us do knit and crochet this is primarily a sewing website.  Sooo... might I suggest you take a look at https://www.ravelry.com/account/login where the truly wool obsessed live.  While you may get an answer here to your questions you'll get 25 answers there - all in under 1/2 an hour. 
Please don't leave us - my intent is to help you find the help you need - not to send you away.  I know I'd love to know how your projects turn out, and I know I'm not alone.  In fact, if you hang around here and get to know us, you'll discover that a lot of us also hang out on Ravelry. :)

Online LynnH

• Me at 10
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 12:30:25 AM »
Neha, here are a couple of links from places that sell placemats to give you an idea of the sizes.  18" or 19" wide by 13" deep.
Bed, Bath & Beyond
How to make your own
A collection of free placemat patterns
And crocheted placemats

Just keep in mind - for the most part placemats are rectangles.  They need to be big enough for the plate, silverware & napkin.
Have fun!
Lynn

Offline Bunnykins

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 05:42:51 AM »
Or you could try Knitting Pattern Central:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/placemats.php

As for size, well, it depends on the dishes you are using.  I used to use 12x18" for making placements, but modern dinner plates are quite a bit larger than vintage ones, so now I make them an inch larger each way. If I were doing this, I'd lay out a place setting and measure the length and width that suits you and fits the number of settings you want on the table.  You have to check older patterns as, back in the day, there were luncheon mat sizes and dinner mat sizes, dinner being the larger because dinner plates are larger than luncheon plates.  Not trying to be difficult, just a bit of trivia from someone who owns a set of vintage dishes with 5 or 6 sizes of plates (tidbit, anyone?)

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »
I quilt my place mats, but I make mine somewhere between 12-14" tall and 18-20" wide, depending on the pattern/design I'm using.  I think most purchased place mats are just about around these sizes as well. 
Laurie H

http://my.inbox.com/photos/missjean/index.aspx   password is 'photos'

Online LynnH

• Me at 10
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 11:21:41 PM »
And sometimes things work out perfectly - I got this blog link from SewDaily today about placemats. Enjoy reading.
Lynn

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics