Author Topic: Necchi LYDIA  (Read 3848 times)

Offline lydia

Necchi LYDIA
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:35:53 PM »
I have reached the pinnacle of sewing machine ownership.  DH has purchased for me a Necchi LYDIA.  This was shipped Monday and should receive it in a few days.  When I was young, I always envied my friends with more common names.  I have been the only Lydia (especially in my home area) for most of my life.  When someone would say "Lydia", I would answer.  Not so much anymore, it seems Lydia is becoming a popular name.  I digress:  I am anxious for this machine to surface.   Hope it is all it is purported to be.  More later.........Lydia  Oh, by the way, does anyone own one of these?  DH purchased an instruction manual (a real book) online last week.  The man never ceases to amaze me!
"I'll cross that bridge when I get to it."

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
Re: Necchi LYDIA
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 02:45:34 PM »
How much fun it that!  :run: Congradulations, Lydia, on your new Lydia.  I have a Kiss song named "after me :smug:" so I just where you're coming from.   :rotfl:
You should probably hang on to the DH, as well.   ;D

Offline peter

• SoCal, USA
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 04:05:27 PM »
Congrats Lydia!

I own one.  As an architect, I've always been interested in industrial design.  The Lydia is part of the MOMA's permanent collection.  It was designed by Marcello Nizzoli, an architect, who designed products for Olivetti as well.  I also own a Nizzoli designed Olivetti Divisumma calculator and the Olivetti Lettera 22 typewriter. 

http://www.moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?criteria=O:AD:E:4316

My Lydia is functioning but not my favorite machine to sew on.  It feels very much like a "portable" to me.  I do enjoy looking at it.  She's a beauty.
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito."

The Dalai Lama

Online andib

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 04:22:54 PM »
Wow Lydia, You will have to show us how beautiful she is!  Once again, your info Peter confirms why Italian shoes look better than American ones..those Italians have design in their genes!

I have an old Necchi...it is horrible, looks horrible and doesn't work!  Looks like you have a wonderful DH too!

Online sewsy

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 05:10:17 PM »
..those Italians have design in their genes!

Yeah, they really do.

Offline Pina

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 05:26:32 PM »
Lydia,congratulations on your Necchi "Lydia" and for having a wonderful,amazing husband ! !  :)

Thanks for the information on the Necchi Lydia sewing machine,Peter !  ;) ( My dad had an Olivetti typewriter,he was an architect too. )

Offline lydia

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 02:14:52 AM »
Thanks for the kudos for DH.  So far this summer and autumn he has purchased four Singer collectible mechanicals and now this LYDIA.  I hope he is done for a while!  He peruses eBay and craigslist and can ferret out a great buy.  Yes, I will keep him!

Offline luz clara

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 02:26:32 AM »
ahh the elegant and beautiful Lydia! I have one. I had seen one at MOMA in NYC and I never dreamed that I would see one with my own eyes at Cornhusker Sew and Vac in Lincoln NE! Lovingly reconditions, for $100!! A snapped her up.

Reportedly Lydias have a recurring problem - the cam stacks crack, they are made from plastic. Mine are OK and my machine will zigzag. But the parts no longer exist. A Lydia w/cam stack problems will sew straight but not zigzag. If you do a Google search you will find photos and ways to look at your cam stack. And there is a Yahoo group for Necchi Italian-made machines. It makes interesting and sometimes inspiring reading.

What color did you get? Mine is as pure white as the driven snow. But I have seen them in pale green and a 50's pink. And Peter is right - Lydia clacks a bit when she is running. But she is gorgeous to look at!

Luz Clara

Offline lydia

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 07:21:21 PM »
Read the last line from luz clara.....My husband was breaking up over this.  I guess the last line totally revealed my true nature......! 

Offline Pina

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 07:37:29 PM »
Read the last line from luz clara.....My husband was breaking up over this.  I guess the last line totally revealed my true nature......!

ahh the elegant and beautiful Lydia!..........Lydia clacks a bit when she is running. But she is gorgeous to look at!
Luz Clara

Lydia,too funny !  :grinning:   :laughalot:    :rotfl:   :rotfl:  You and your hubby have a great sense of humor !  ;)

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 09:07:09 PM »
Oh, Lydia - what a great DH and a great gift.  I didn't even know they had a LYDIA machine.  How cool is that.  Enjoy your machine - - - and DH ;D
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline Susan Claire

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 10:47:44 PM »
I think the cam stack gear was bakelite and they thought it would last forever...

They are beautiful machines. 

Offline lydia

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 02:54:53 AM »
A report on the LYDIA:  Received it today via FedX and the stitch selector wheel is broken - not completely off, but found a few plastic pieces in the packageing materials.  Was wrapped securely in plastic - not bubble wrap, encased in styrofoam donuts.  There was a piece broken from bottom of carrying case and now this.  I am pretty disappointed with FedX for bouncing the machine around so much.  The outer box was crunched on one side.  Oh well, DH said he could put all together for me - so will keep all posted about this.  This should have been prepackaged in a box prior to inserting in shipping box (IMHO).  There was no "FRAGILE" or "THIS END UP" notices on the box top.  Oh well - DH has his work cut out for him.  Other than the obvious, this is one attractive machine.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 03:47:18 AM »
Lydia
you should contact the merchant or seller.  They are responsible for delivering you a new undamaged machine. That's what they charged you for.

Offline lydia

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 03:59:03 PM »
Yes, we will contact the seller, but I don't want the machine confiscated as it runs fine, just has some pieces broken on the stitch selector wheel.  A friend had to relinquish a Featherweight to postal service due to a broken spool pin.  She registered a claim to P.O. and was the loser in the end.  DH made the purchase - DH can negotiate w/vendor.    He is a pro w/online purchases. 

Offline emg

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 01:04:36 AM »
>There was no "FRAGILE" or "THIS END UP" notices on the box top.<

I know UPS ignores these types of markings -- they say so on their website . . . I expect FedEx does as well.  The onus is on the shipper to pack with sufficient cushioning for the item to arrive undamaged.   That's why they tell you if it's fragile you should pay them to pack it.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 01:35:56 AM »
   That's why they tell you if it's fragile you should pay them to pack it.
... which still doesn't guarantee the item will arrive undamaged. Machine knitters across the US and Canada have successfully sued UPS because machines both packed and shipped via UPS arrived totally demolished.  I don't know about FedEx, but UPS did seem to go through numerous employees. Sorry no link to back me up.  I'm making the statement based on 2 years experience and observation of operations in Cheyenne WY who/which changed their phone number frequently to avoid answering customers questions.  Also changed their office hours for the same purpose.  Or maybe it was me they didn't like I was there frequently for packages misdelivered. Ah my point was during  those  2 years I rarely spoke or saw the same person twice

Offline lydia

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 05:36:43 PM »
All:  this is the noisiest machine I own!  Came w/o bobbin - substituted my Elna SU Electronic bobbin, worked perfectly.  Probably won't ever use this machine - DH purchased it for me for the name (Lydia).  Still have to work out the partially broken knob problem, but am still glad that I own this.  As I stated in the original post:  the name Lydia is not common and I still answer if I hear the name.

Offline Susan Claire

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 09:44:50 PM »
The Elna SU bobbin maybe the reason its noisy. 

The lydia bobbin is a different shape on top.
http://www.sewingstyle.com/Necchi-Bobbin-1645330.html

Offline lydia

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 03:52:01 AM »
DH has ordered a package of ten.  Waiting for delivery.  The noise isn't from the bobbin area, it comes from inside the machine.  At one time Necchi and Elna were a team, and the Elna bobbin was a perfect fit.  The bobbin case has to be removed every time one inserts a new color or bobbin.  This is a strange little machine and as I said before, doubt if I will ever put it to a practical use.  Too noisy and just doesn't feel right. 

Offline Pina

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 07:28:33 PM »
Lydia,how is your "Lydia" doing ?

I found a free pdf manual for the Necchi Lydia 3 - 542 and 544 in Italian,Spanish,German and Dutch.If one of our members is interested to download it,please let me know.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics