Author Topic: Turquoise’s Summer sewing  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
Turquoise’s Summer sewing
« on: August 08, 2018, 07:08:00 PM »
Well I’ve been pulling out patterns and sewing away but haven’t had a chance until today to put some of it up here.

I’ve made a longer version of Silhouette Pattern’s Carole’s Jacket in a lightweight stretch cotton, copying some raw edge details from a jacket I saw and liked in Mint Velvet.  The raw edge is looking better and better as I wear it and scuff up the edge more.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
Re: Turquoise’s Summer sewing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:14:53 PM »
This is the first of the dresses completed.  It’s a lightweight viscose print and I’ve lined the dress with cotton lawn, so it’s lovely and cool in the unusually hot weather we’ve been having (until today  :)  )

I had a lot of this fabric, so I’ve also made a kimono jacket, halter top and have a pair of shorts cut out but not completed yet.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 07:21:00 PM »
This fun cotton print is my wearable muslin of Newlook 6013.  This version is unlined - I just wanted a simple check of the pattern and a very lightweight dress for wearing at home in the heat.  I have some really nice cotton stretch fabric with a large statement floral print that will need careful placement.  That’s for the next version of this pattern, now I’ve got the fit sorted.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 07:28:09 PM »
This turquoise top is another really lightweight top.  I made the sleeved version of this pattern (Newlook 6895) a couple of years ago in a coral coloured dobby cotton fabric and have worn it a lot so knew this would be a good pattern for this turquoise dobby fabric.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 08:42:01 PM »
Beautiful items all, Turquoise.   :thumbsup:
The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

======================

Check out my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons & other craft supplies:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 07:35:28 PM »
Wow, Turquoise, you have been busy. Each garment looks so nice.

The rough edge that will continue to fray for a bit is a nice stylistic touch to the jacket. It's interesting how something so simple can kick the style factor up a notch.

That viscose black/white print is really something, especially lined with cotton lawn. Cool and comfy. And it's great that you're using up what's left on the halter top (and shorts-in-progress) and kimono jacket. Those pieces are going to mix/match so nicely with other staples in your wardrobe.

Your ruffled top looks so pretty--I see "date night" as one of the times it could be worn.

And oh my, that print turquoise/yellow dress. What fun. I can see why the fabric caught your eye, with the print creating stripes.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post photos of your sewing projects. It's been a lot of fun looking at them.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 07:53:29 PM »
Thanks DragonLady and Kathryn.  I missed out on sewing time and time to read/participate here for a while as life got in the way but it’s good to back to sewing and catching up with everyone here  :)

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 02:07:37 PM »
Here is the same New Look 6013 pattern as the lemon print dress made up in the large floral placement print fabric.  I had three panels of the fabric and so to get the back to line up across the back zip I had to change the pattern a bit as there wasn’t enough length between the repeats with the two panels I had available for the back. I had to cut the back into 2 pieces near the back neckline.

Front

Back

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 04:53:08 PM »
Wow, what a beautiful job you did with that unusual fabric, Turquoise. Clever save for the back, given the shorter repeat that you had to work with.

Is the fabric cotton?

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 06:59:19 PM »

Oh this is pretty.  Love the color and the ruffle.
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 07:02:49 PM »
FrontBack
Gorgeous!  Wonderful save.  I have donated a few fabric panels because I could not figure out how to handle them.  Wish I’d seen this first.  Hope you dont mind, I Pinned this.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 12:28:09 AM by sdBev »
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 09:58:09 PM »
Only just catching up on this thread.
Some absolutely wonderful pieces Turquoise, you must be very pleased you are getting to sew again. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 05:12:44 AM »
Thanks everyone  :)

Ruthie you’re so right, it’s great to be sewing again - it’s (mostly  ;D ) so relaxing to be in the sewing room. 
Kathryn it is a stretch cotton.  It has a very slight sheen to the surface which is really pretty.  sdBev that’s fine  :) don’t be put off panel fabrics - I did have to do a lot of measuring etc. but I’m pleased with how it came out in the end so I would buy panel pieces again although I’d probably ask how long between repeats next time  ;D

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 02:50:20 PM »
The things you've sewn up are great! Thumbs up for the placing of the pattern on that last dress. When I walk along a street and see garments like that with great matching, it always makes me smile. Also love that turquoise frilly blouse.
Eva

Offline sharonspils

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 08:00:41 AM »
Very stylish pieces and love your dress, the pattern match at the back is perfect.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 01:12:27 PM »
Missed this thread before...wonderful sews, Turquoise! That inspirational piecing on the back of the lemon dress second make of New Look 6013 is fantastic.  It looks like intentional design lines.  Brilliant. 

Love the black and white dress and halter top combo, but the white with the gorgeous flower print and perfect placement is my favorite.

Edited to correct pattern name.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:23:50 PM by CCL »

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 01:07:17 PM »
Thanks again for the lovely comments everyone  :), they’re really cheering me up when I feel a bit frazzled.  DH fell off of a ladder last week and we spent 12 hours in A&E.  Thankfully he is OK apart from his arm and he has surgery booked for that tomorrow.  It’s his dominant arm, so it’s hard going for him. 

I don’t think I’ll have much time for sewing in the next few weeks but I’ve been looking at what everyone’s been up to and it’s great to see  :)

I LOVE CCL’s dress, the fit is so good.

The thread on what we wear really got me thinking too and I am going to reflect on which garments from SWAP and my Summer sewing have had the most wear to try and make better choices for future sewing. Good opportunity for reflection.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 05:19:54 PM »
Oh no, Turquoise! Good luck to your husband.  Hopefully the healing will go fast.  I spent a lot of time reading Stitchers Guild while sitting in the hospital.

Take care and best to you both.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 08:54:47 AM »
Thanks CCL, the operation was more involved than they first thought but he’s on the mend now.

I’ve been using any free time (a lot less of that right now) to have a read of what everyone’s been up to and to make notes on what I need to sew next and trying to keep my finger away from the “buy” button when I look at fabric websites. I’m itching to start sewing again and it’s amazing how easy it feels to think about buying more fabric because I’m missing sewing time.  I’m resisting so far but.... we’ll see  :)

I have started cutting out a jacket but it’s got to be the slowest sewing I’ve ever done, about one piece gets cut out every few days  ::)

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 12:11:25 AM »

I’ve been using any free time (a lot less of that right now) to have a read of what everyone’s been up to and to make notes on what I need to sew next and trying to keep my finger away from the “buy” button when I look at fabric websites. I’m itching to start sewing again and it’s amazing how easy it feels to think about buying more fabric because I’m missing sewing time.  I’m resisting so far but.... we’ll see  :)

Turquoise, sounds as if you and I are on the same path.  Not being able to do much sewing for all the weeks of BH's recovery left me perusing fabric sites.  I succumbed.  Yikes!  I have about 23 yards more than before.  And I used to be a "only 3 or 4 pieces on hand" type of gal!

Hope your husband is still on the mend.  I find we have good days and bad days.  Yesterday was a good day, today was not so good.  Tomorrow, I am sure, will be better.