Author Topic: Which sewing machine to use for cloth dolls?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline aluapairam

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
Which sewing machine to use for cloth dolls?
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »
Hello everyone!

I just found this forum and I'm impressed by the amount of creative folks out there who ask/answer questions in these forums.  I hope you can help me pick a sewing machine.

I currently have a Singer Curvy, a very basic entry level sewing machine. I enjoy making cloth dolls but my Singer does not have a small stitch. The smallest stitch is 10-11 stitches per inch.

I'd like to buy a new sewing machine, one that will allow me to grow and continue to learn. The main requirement is a small stitch. For my cloth dolls I need about 20 stitches per inch.

I'm considering a Husquarna 835 or a Bernina 350. Which of those two would you recommend and why?

Any other machines I should consider? I'd like to stay under $ 1500, if possible.

I don't have any friends who sew and I am learning a lot on my own, reading, asking, etc... so your advice will be extremely helpful!

Offline Doris W. in TN

Re: Which sewing machine to use for cloth dolls?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 01:15:30 AM »
I have a Bernina 350PE and love it.      Test drive both machines you are considering, ask the dealer about user classes, and talk to other people in your area who sew, and ask about the dealers'  reputations.    When you buy a machine, you're buying the dealer.     Whichever machine you end up with,    in my opinion  a  machine with 5mm wide feed dogs will work the best on those narrow seam allowances and curves.
iPad's auto-correct is my enema.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics