Author Topic: What is in a Baby Layette?  (Read 4135 times)

Offline SewingDaisy

What is in a Baby Layette?
« on: September 22, 2011, 12:52:17 AM »
What is considered to be the essential items in a layette?

I have been sewing heirloom clothing for about 5 years - four of those years I was involved in a "sit and sew" type classroom.  Now I meet with my sewing friends once a week to sew. One of my friends asked me to make a layette for her.  I agreed to do it, but am wondering how many pieces are in a 'layette'.  I have skimmed several of my heirloom books and have had a subscription to Martha Pullen's Sew Beautiful magazine for quite a few years.  I could not find a list of what constitutes a layette.

Any suggestions??

Adrian

Great things are accomplished only by the perfection of minor details.

Offline Ann

Re: What is in a Baby Layette?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 01:41:13 AM »
Here is what I found. I am not sure if you are going to sew everything or not.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/buyingforbaby/knowhow/layetteguide/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layette

McCalls and Butterick have a few patterns that have enough pieces that I would call layettes. My favourite is http://butterick.mccall.com/b5585-products-13474.php?page_id=378

Ann
Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Education is a journey, not a race.

Ann's Blogs
http://everythingsewing.blogspot.com/

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 07:56:50 AM »
Search for "layette checklist" and you will find lots of info. This, for example is from parenting.com:

Quick. What's a layette? If you answered with anything from undershirts to a stroller, you're right. Technically, it's every item a newborn needs during the first year. For most people, however, a layette simply means a baby's first wardrobe.

1 "take-me-home" outfit

8 bodysuits

3 shirt-and-pant sets

4 coveralls (one-piece footed outfits)

6 pairs of socks

2 large hooded towels

8 sleep gowns

1 sweater

2 sleep sacks (work as safe blankets)

Lots of burp cloths

4 receiving blankets

Depending on the climate, and when your baby is born:

Coat, knit hat, snowsuit

Swimsuit, brimmed sun hat

However!! If you are sewing heirloom clothing, your friend might really want baby items that are less practical. The traditional hand made baby layette items are a fancy set of: hat, booties, sweater, and maybe a matching blanket.

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:34:08 AM »
Well, I don't really think you agreed to do all that, I must say!

A few outfits for a newborn, is what I think of, plus some bedding things.  But why not check back with your friend?
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline sewsy

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 10:54:56 AM »
I'm in the process of sewing a layette for my brother's first grandson. I've cut out (used up) all the pieces I could from a length of FM knit I had on hand for my own grandson, that I didn't get around to using. I was able to cut out everything except the dress.  ;D I have the Butterick pattern posted as well, and just so happen to have ordered and received a soft light blue knit (for myself) that I'll cut a few more things out of for the little guy.

I also have a pretty blue print fleece that I've put binding on...used some Bemberg lining for the blanket binding, and he'll have a cozy blanket as well. I really think that asking mom what she'd like to have (or need) is a good idea. Short of that, using a pattern and making up what you figure would be a reasonable amount of useful items is a wonderful way to welcome a new little life into this world.  :)

Adrian, if you happen to need a blue fabric, this sky blue knit from FM is as soft as it looks, and fits the bill nicely for a baby boy. Not to mention that the price is excellent @ $1.99 per yard.  :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:40:21 PM by sewsy »

Offline KathrynT

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:50:12 PM »
I think a traditional layette has a gown, with matching cap, bootties and small baby rug.

Offline SewingDaisy

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 03:17:14 AM »
We haven't talked about how many pieces she wants, but I'll probably use the Old Fashioned Baby Layette pattern.  I'll have to sit down with her and find out how many pieces she wants. She's not a new mom, more like wanting it for her great-grandchild.

Sewsy - thanks for the link for the blue knit.  It looks like it would be so soft.  The heirloom shop I usually buy my fabric from charges almost $20 a yard for something like that.

Once I get everything made I'll post photos on my Flickr set.

Thank you all for your input.

Adrian

Offline sewsy

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 04:23:55 PM »
Adrian, I was checking BabiesRUs website for a picture of a boys' gown. It occurred to me that they may snap right over left....but at this point it may not matter.
Anyway, I found a picture of a layette that Carter's has put together, it may give you some ideas.

Offline SewingDaisy

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »
I was finally able to meet with my friend and talk about what she wants in the layette.  It will be for granddaughter who recently married.  She wants 2 or 3 daygowns, a bonnet and a receiving blanket - all out of batiste; one set for a girl and one set for a boy.

I will be at her house this Wednesday so we can pick patterns and laces . . .

Thank you, Sewsy for the link to the Carter's layette.  That does simplify things.

Adrian

Offline SewingDaisy

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 01:32:44 AM »
Well, I finally finished the two layettes.  :) I took the month of December off to do some other sewing. The layettes are finished and will be delivered to my friend on Wednesday. Here are a couple of pictures.  More can be seen on my Flickr site.

Adrian

layettes 005 by SewingDaisyLA, on Flickr

layettes 016 by SewingDaisyLA, on Flickr

Offline Jewels

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 02:40:47 AM »
Adrian, absolutely exquisite!
Julie

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »
Adrian, how nice to see the finished layette projects. Your heirloom sewing is exquisite. I bet your friend was tickled pink (and blue) to get them.

Kathryn

Offline Pipsy

• Ulysses July 2 2011
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 10:03:10 AM »
I agree the layettes are exquisite. I particularly like the rompers and hat. I forgot the site, but I purchased a pattern of beautiful baby hats, but my daughter wanted fleece or knits hats for my grandson!! How good of you to do these for your friend.
If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
My soul is fed by my needle and thread.

Offline sewsy

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »
Absolutely beautiful.

Offline Carolyn

• Carolyn's Sewing Room
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »
How very sweet.  I love every piece you made.  My DGD arrives in June and I am about to start a smocked daygown for her. 

Thanks for sharing your beautiful creations.
Carolyn

"If God had intended for us to stay one waist size, he wouldn't have invented elastic"...  Christee Gabour Atwood

Blog:  http://carolynobryan.blogspot.com/

Offline SewingDaisy

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 01:22:54 AM »
Carolyn, Sewsy, Pipsy, Kathryn and Jewels:  Thank you for your compliments. I did have fun making the layettes, especially the blankets. My friend was thrilled and the other ladies in my sewing group were impressed. Of course, they saw me making most of them during our weekly sessions, but seeing the finished items all at once made a big difference.

I'm just glad it's finished.  Phew!!

Adrian

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 10:12:12 AM »
Lovely!  Very very pretty and sweet.

I made quite a few clothes for my daughter, but none of them are heirloom; although I did get a few nice dresses for parties etc.  Not that she cared!  For clothes like the Carter's layette, Ottobre Magazine is my go-to source.  You can look at all the line drawings online and nearly all back issues are available at a very reasonable price (under the subscribe tab for some reason).  www.ottobredesign.com

Elizabeth
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline justgail

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 06:26:38 PM »
Those layettes are very pretty, Adrian.

For us, the DS spent his first year in onsies and the footed sleepers.  He did get some fancier things, but they never made it out of the house.  Either he outgrew them too fast, or somehow he'd manage to render them unwearable until laundered before we got out of the house.
Gail
U.S. - eastern Iowa
Justgail

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics