• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
May 21, 2019, 05:11:53 am

News:

To purchase a gift subscription for another member, please send a private message to DragonLady, telling her who you would like to gift, so permission can be obtained before you send any money.

Indigotiger travels to the Viking Age....

Started by indigotiger, June 28, 2018, 10:14:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

indigotiger

I have been active in the Society for Creative Anachronism for over 25 years, and about half of what I do is go camping several times a summer with my friends, but instead of wearing Polartec and Goretex, we are all wearing linen and wool clothing of various sorts and from various cultures and time periods. I mostly wear clothing based on what we know about Viking Age garb, as I find that easy to deal with when also doing outdoor stuff.  Since much of my SCA clothing is many years old, some of it is worn out enough that it is threadbare, and needs replaced.

A new apron dress and several new linen undergowns are in my sewing plans for this summer. An "apron dress" is sort of like a pinafore with spaghetti straps. The straps have loops at the end, and are fastened to smaller loops at the front top edge of the garment with a pair of metal brooches.
I am currently working on the new apron dress, from some amazing tropical weight worsted wool remnants from the Pendelton Mills outlet store.  The fabric is dark blue, with tiny single thread stripes of lighter blue, and a light madder red. It will be comfortable for summer, even though wool, as it is so finely woven and lightweight that it is almost translucent.
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

indigotiger

This is the fabric I am working with currently... an amazing tropical weight Pendelton worsted wool.

it is so very finely woven and smooth that when I first found it on the flat folds table at their outlet store, I didn't think it was really wool! As you can see, it is almost translucent it is so thin. But because it is worsted wool and very tightly spun, it is not at all flimsy
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

sdBev

Interesting.  I knew you did some SCA but not how much.  Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing these projects progress into your full regalia.
Feeling so good, the oncologist has started me on a 2nd round of chemo. Updates on my site.  Www.sdbev.wordpress.com

luz clara

Dear Indigo Tiger!  I love your apron dress! And that wool is really great. I found a piece of "tropical weight" wool in my wool bag and it is so light and pretty. I have to figure out what to make from it!

Luz Clara