Author Topic: Is there a source to determine the value of a doll?  (Read 2021 times)

Offline andib

Is there a source to determine the value of a doll?
« on: August 04, 2011, 05:34:25 PM »
I am not a big doll person, but I have seen some of your beautiful creations, and thought you may be able to help me.  I have a few 15-20 year old dolls, and I am interested in selling them.  I know they are not worth a mint, but I would like to get a fair price for them.  I have looked all over the web, and have not really found what I have, so I can't get an idea of the fair value.  Is there a source(s) that I may not have seen?  TIA

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
Re: Is there a source to determine the value of a doll?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 07:36:33 PM »
Just me, but I'd have a look on eBay to find similar dolls, find out their names and what they are going for.  I think the key is knowing what you have -- after that it's a matter of watching prices.  To find out what you have, you might try a doll-collecting forum.

Elizabeth
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline andib

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 07:55:18 PM »
I think my problem was I couldn't figure out what I have!  I was on Nextag.com and figured out what I have, and some pricing.  Of course, the items are still being sold, so they may be overpriced!  I am thinking of Craig's list, as these could be nice Christmas gifts.  I suspect that kind of shopping will pick up soon.  How do I find a doll forum...just google "doll forum:?  ???

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 08:00:57 PM »
I am a member of American Girl Playthings (www.agplaythings.com) -- although as the name suggests this is primarily an AG doll forum there is a section for other dolls -- you could post something there, possibly -- or wander around a bit first seeing if you can find out what you have.

Elizabeth

Offline crazyquilter

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 10:05:16 PM »
What type of dolls do you have?  There are doll lists for just about every type of doll imaginable on yahoo groups. 

Offline Pina

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:07:46 PM »
How do I find a doll forum...just google "doll forum:?  ???

Yes,Andib. ;) Like Elizabeth suggested,a Google and/or an eBay doll value search,( vintage or antique ) - dolls for sale - may be helpful to see for how much similar dolls like yours are selling for or have sold for.How to identify your dolls,tips.This guide may help you identify and value your dolls,please scroll down.This site has lots of doll information for collectors at the side bar.Click on anything that might be of interest to you and scroll down.Doll chat and other doll forums may have pictures of similar dolls like you have.

Have a good laugh and don't worry about your age ! If you don't have any wrinkles,you don't laugh enough !

Offline andib

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 12:34:34 AM »
I can't believe there is anything on the net that is not sewing or fabric related!  I really try not to spend too much time wandering about, and honestly, I am really not that good re:searching, so I appreciate your links.

I found one person selling this small Madeline doll for $25, and another for $100....
At least I know it is worth more than $5.  I also need to dig thru the box to see what clothes are there.  I also have a Barbie that swims!  She came out about 10 years ago after the Olympics.  I know we have lost a lot of the "pieces".  My DD never liked dolls, she just liked having Barbie do the backstroke in the bathtub!  It was more interesting than the toy boat she had!

Can I ask a really inane question, is there a good place to go to get info about how Yahoo group work?  Every time I try to join I end up having problems (very old machine), and I guess the best I can say is that it is not intuitive for me.  I also cannot play computer games unless someone explains it to me.   :(  I do have other qualities, so I don't really care if I can't figure it out in the next 50-60 years!

Offline Bunnykins

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:51:31 AM »
Take good pics and post them on the eBay doll board.  Those ladies know just about everything there is to know about dolls of every kind.  I collect dolls, but they're not what you have (mine are mostly 60-100 year old compos), so I'm no help.   But, they won't tell you what they're worth.  For that, eBay auctions are the best guide.

Offline Alessandra

• Madeleines, don't get me started
    • Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 12:01:40 AM »
I'm not experienced with dolls, but I have a friend who is a rare book dealer.  He says that the prices online are often inflated, and that the highest prices are not to be trusted (in books, anyway).  He is of the opinion that the general region of the lowest price you find online is probably a fair valuation, assuming a similar state of repair and condition.  That is, if you see very good copies of a particular book (/doll?) on sale for $10, $12, $25, $50, $100, and $150, then a fair price is probably around $10-$20, and the higher prices are offered by people hoping for a naīve buyer.

I should say, if it illuminates anything, that he is a serious believer in fair prices, and he usually prices books in his store at slightly lower than the lowest price he finds online.

I also agree with the people here that you should check with experts, which I am decidedly not.
Good clothes open all doors.
--Thomas Fuller

My blog: Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite

Offline crazyquilter

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 11:31:51 PM »
I've been watching and collecting vinyl dolls for about 40 years.  If you could post a photo of the group of dolls somewhere, I could take a stab at identifying some of them for you.  Once you know what the dolls are, I would do as others have said.  Look on eBay.  Check for the auctions that actually have bids on them and watch what similar dolls sell for.

Offline msplantladi

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 12:13:13 PM »
I too was avid doll collector for years and some I paid huge amts of money for, probably to high but as a collector if its something you really want price doesn't seem to be a question. That being said dolls don't seem to be a high ticket item  as they once were and you probably won't get what you see listed on ebay or like sites. You need to probably find someone who is interested in the particular dolls you are trying to sell. I too am considering selling my collection as I haven't bought anything new for my collection in years and my kids have no interest, in fact my one daughter won't even sleep in that rm when she comes to stay unless I cover the cabinet, she says she can't sleep with the yes staring at her -lol
Thanks so much for all the postings as it reminded me I need to do something w/ this collection.
Do what makes you happy life is to short not to.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 03:53:37 PM »
...  That is, if you see very good copies of a particular book (/doll?) on sale for $10, $12, $25, $50, $100, and $150, then a fair price is probably around $10-$20, and the higher prices are offered by people hoping for a naīve buyer.
Really.  When I see outrageously high prices I always think "the mob is trying to launder money.". 

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 09:24:28 PM »
<imagines the mobster explaining to the head mobster why DOLLS are the best way to launder money>

Offline Ann

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 03:19:29 AM »
imagines the mobster explaining to the head mobster why DOLLS are the best way to launder money>
   ;D :rotfl:

I have been looking for a 16" baby doll and the prices are all over the board. It is crazy.

Ann
Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Education is a journey, not a race.

Ann's Blogs
http://everythingsewing.blogspot.com/

Offline Tenukihandcrafts

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 07:51:04 AM »
The value depends on the type of dolls you have, their rarity, age, condition, etc.

IMHO, ebay is about getting a good deal than getting a fair price.

To get what they are worth, I suggest you find a doll forum for the type of dolls you have.  There are forums for most kinds of dolls, either in general like the Den of Angels for bjds or specific forums, like This is Blythe.   Most forums have a marketplace so you could sell your dolls to people who are willing what their worth.  You'll also be able to research their value. 

I love the idea of mobsters laundering money with dolls.  A buncha goodfellas standing around holding Blythes, discussing their relative values...."yo, this is an Ashton Drake era Blythe...mint in box!"  :D

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics