Author Topic: Simplicity 5554  (Read 2398 times)

Offline SewRusty

• Sewist Wannabe
  • It just makes me laugh...
Simplicity 5554
« on: August 02, 2011, 07:55:59 PM »
*Nevermind...I threw it away after pulling off the invisible zipper tab. Sometimes, for the sake of sanity and happiness you just have to let things go.*

OK, I guess my main question is this...(and hopefully you can visualize it clipped and pressed and pretty-like) will this neckline be too "homemade" looking, or will it be OK?

I don't have enough fabric to do the button plackets in the front, so I took a few liberties with the original design, which to refresh your memory, looks like this.

(Image from Vintage Pattern Wiki)

Here's my version so far, with a modified v-neck and what will be a side seam invisible zipper. (It's hard to take pictures of yourself!)

*Image removed*

On the dressform:
*Image removed*

The original neckline is uncut, and the new one is simply basted in place and flipped. I would have ironed it, but I used one of those iron-away pens and didn't want to lose my markings.

I'm on the fence as to whether I should do this or just figure out a way to put the normal collar on...currently, I'm not sure I like the effect of the new neckline (I can't quite visualize what it will ultimately look like), but don't really know what else I should try. I usually go with v-necks because they tend to make my face seem less round.

If someone knows how to do a faux button placket that would maybe be functional at the white part and then not the rest of the way down, I'd be interested in your ideas.....

Thanks so much for your advice!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 01:52:48 AM by SewRusty »

Offline Diane P.

• outside Portland, Oregon
Re: Simplicity 5554
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 03:29:49 AM »
If you intend the neckline to be similar to what is showing on the right side of the picture, I think it will work fine.

If the facing is supposed to be pressed under, you could  add a piping between the neck edge and facing which might give it a more finished look.  You could also run the piping down the entire front and just use a plain fabric as the facing. JMHO so take it for what it is worth.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:32:17 AM by Diane P. »

Online susandf

• The Destashification Project
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 07:59:28 AM »
I think I once or twice made the original pattern!

The V-neck is nice.  Is there some reason that you want to add a placket, faux or not?  With a side zipper and what appears to a good fit around the bust line, it would seem the V-neck would be fine as is. 

Love the play of the pin stripe against the darker color.
http://destashification.wordpress.com/

What Lies beyond the Destash?

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:19:57 AM »

The V-neck is nice.  Is there some reason that you want to add a placket, faux or not?  With a side zipper and what appears to a good fit around the bust line, it would seem the V-neck would be fine as is. 

Um, I thought the same thing.  The short sleeved version.  And more than a couple of times and also made it as a tunic length shirt.  Ahhhh, memories.
I like your version, sorry no assistance, with the 2 fabrics. I makes it interesting but not "in your face". 

Offline SewRusty

• Sewist Wannabe
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:20:35 PM »

Thanks! I really liked the color contrast too.

My thoughts behind the placket were to put buttons on the top if I decided to add the collar and eliminate the v-neck. Which I may do, because I think I might have figured out how to do it. Mostly because I don't feel like my v-neck really echoes the inverted V made by the empire line.

Offline SewRusty

• Sewist Wannabe
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »
I changed my mind....again....several times, actually. ;D Here's what I currently have, and I'm not happy with it. :(

The white portion is lined, and I've never done one on a bodice before, but somehow it just doesn't seem to sit right under there. I attached the collar using this method from the Slapdash Sewist. I had hoped that a good pressing and some topstitching would fix it, but I had to put the zipper in before I topstitched it, and now I'm worried that it won't work. I'm about ready to throw this dress in the trash.  :'( Any good suggestions that don't involve ripping out the zipper and lining? I'm not sure my fabric will handle picking the zipper out again, after all the trouble I had getting it on there.

Honestly, I'd just live with it, but I think it's bad enough even non-sewing people would notice it. :(

Thanks. :)

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 10:10:30 PM »
Hi Bec,

Sorry this isn't going the way you had envisioned. :(  I have a several questions:

1.  Is the dress form's shape identical to yours?  If not, the way the collar & upper portion of the front bodice lay might be different on you.  If so, can you show us?

2.  Could you check your link to the Slapdash Sewist?  It goes to her blog, but doesn't show a method of attaching a collar.  Just how to sew & turn a lined bodice.

3.  I'm not clear if you have topstitched, or are showing it to us before you topstitch.  (I'm not seeing the topstitching so am guessing that you haven't yet topstitched?)

4.  It's not clear from your post what you're not happy with.  I'm guessing it's the seam between the collar and the bodice? (BTW, I think the zipper insertion looks great.)  It looks like you may have some tiny/unintended tucks there? (see the red arrows below)  Please tell us what you don't like specifically, please.

5.  What kind of fabric have you used? (both the fashion fabric & the lining, please).

6.  Have you done a good press along the line between the collar and the bodice and did you press throughout as you sewed? (See "this thread from earlier this year" for a discussion of pressing techniques--see particularly Gorgeous Thing's blog post & the photos of the two blouses.)  If not, you might want to try a press w/ fabric finish to see if that will help.

Sorry to have so may questions, but I hate to see this trashed after all the care and work you've put into it!

Lisa

Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline SewRusty

• Sewist Wannabe
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 11:15:38 PM »
Sorry! I'll answer your questions as you posted them.

1. Yes, the dressform matches me. It has the same wrinkles I do.

2. The link is correct, she didn't attach a collar, I just did that part on my own using her method to sew it in.

3. No, I didn't want to rip out the topstitching once it became obvious that it wasn't going to "press out" like I had hoped.

4. Sorry! No, there's no tucks on the outside of the bodice in that spot, just wrinkles. The lining has some tiny tucks though...it's mostly that it bulges? bubbles? It doesn't lay flat and smooth like I expected. If you could see it in 3D, you'd immediately understand, but I'm not sure how to explain it. I did have some trouble pressing it, because the outer layer and lining seemed to work against each other whenever I'd try to press it, and I had to be very careful not to press wrinkles into the other layer.

5. Stretch cotton woven, and a self fabric lining. I don't know much more specific than that...sorry. :(

6. I did press it as soon as I stitched the collar (and after every seam), but the lining bubbled up along the seamline and has tucks in it (somehow it seems bigger than the outer bodice?) and the outer bodice has the same bubbling in the same area. I thought maybe I could steam shrink it, but that didn't seem to help. Maybe if I turned the heat up? I have my iron set on the synthetic setting because I didn't want to melt the nylon/lycra/whatever makes it stretchy. It seems to press fairly well, even on such a low setting, but it might be tough enough to try a higher setting.

Thanks for the zipper compliment--the hardest part was matching the peak where the colors change, I thought I was never going to get it. It's still about 1/16" off, but I decided it was close enough that no one would notice.

Offline SewRusty

• Sewist Wannabe
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 01:57:43 AM »
Sadly, immediately after getting the wrinkles around the collar fixed (by taking it apart and resewing it), I accidentally pulled the pull tab off of the invisible zipper. After some crying and swearing I decided that this dress was simply meant for the trash can, and that's where it went. Thanks everyone for trying to help me get this thing together, and I feel bad about wasting your efforts, but sometimes you just have to remember that this is supposed to be fun, not stressful, and walk away.

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 02:13:14 AM »
oh dear, Bec, I am sorry, but you are right. This sewing thing is supposed to be fun as well as add clothes to our dressers/closets. When it isn't fun, it should go out. Good for you for making that decision.

OK, now that's over with, where's the photo so we can all agree that, in fact, you SHOULD have given up? LOL

Offline SewRusty

• Sewist Wannabe
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 02:17:57 AM »
oh dear, Bec, I am sorry, but you are right. This sewing thing is supposed to be fun as well as add clothes to our dressers/closets. When it isn't fun, it should go out. Good for you for making that decision.

OK, now that's over with, where's the photo so we can all agree that, in fact, you SHOULD have given up? LOL

Oh. I didn't even think to take a picture. :-[

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics