Author Topic: Very long, flexible doll needles  (Read 955 times)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
Very long, flexible doll needles
« on: June 19, 2018, 03:15:05 PM »
I've just learned Havel Inc has discontinued their 9" doll needle. :(

I know several companies make long needles in various lengths, but the Havel needle was the most flexible I ever found.

I know Dritz has long upholstery needles, but they're also fairly large diameter, and not very flexible.  Piecemakers has 7" needles, and I have some of them ordered, but I'd still like to find the longer length.

I've written to them to ask they reconsider, but in the meantime, does anyone know any other company that makes a similar product? 

If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Are you looking for the perfect buttons?  I just may have them in my Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline sewvt

• Subscribed Member
Re: Very long, flexible doll needles
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 07:40:47 PM »
Are upholstery needles too stiff?

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 08:05:09 PM »
Are upholstery needles too stiff?

They can be.  Also, they usually have a larger diameter.

If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 08:18:45 PM »
So Julie, what all are you making with them? Inquiring minds and all that. Any photos of soft sculpture dolls you've made?

Are you out completely or just needing spares for when the time comes?

What is better about the more flexible ones for what you are doing?

I've got no real suggestions, aside from looking at bear making suppliers or checking soft sculpture supplies. I'll look and see what I've got but I think they're all out of the package and I know my longer ones are button tufters so not too flexible.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:21:10 PM by Garden Girl »

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 05:30:55 AM »
So Julie, what all are you making with them? Inquiring minds and all that. Any photos of soft sculpture dolls you've made?

Are you out completely or just needing spares for when the time comes?

What is better about the more flexible ones for what you are doing?

I've got no real suggestions, aside from looking at bear making suppliers or checking soft sculpture supplies. I'll look and see what I've got but I think they're all out of the package and I know my longer ones are button tufters so not too flexible.

Oh....sorry.... I didn't mean to cause confusion.  I was thinking someone might know of another manufacturer because I carry them in my shop. 

======================

Offline Meg

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 01:57:56 PM »
DL, I am heading up to the Vermont Quilt Festival later today.  The show opens tomorrow - I'll try to remember to look for vendors who sell doll-making supplies and ask them on your behalf. 

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 03:23:20 PM »
DL, I am heading up to the Vermont Quilt Festival later today.  The show opens tomorrow - I'll try to remember to look for vendors who sell doll-making supplies and ask them on your behalf.

You don't have to ask, Meg.  That can upset vendors who become afraid you plan to set up a booth next door & use their expertise to compete with them.

It's quite okay; I just thought someone here might know of a company that I do not.

No big deal.... If the demand remains high enough for these needles, someone will start making them.  US commerce deplores a vacuum. ;)

======================

Offline sewvt

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 06:15:38 PM »
Another thought:  I've seen long flexible beading needles like this.  I've never used them this long, so don't know if it would work for your purposes.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 07:14:38 PM »
Another thought:  I've seen long flexible beading needles like this.  I've never used them this long, so don't know if it would work for your purposes.

Yes; those might work.  Thank-you! :)

======================