Author Topic: Slow Sewing SWAP "Turtles" Chatter  (Read 2285 times)

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Slow Sewing SWAP "Turtles" Chatter
« on: June 02, 2018, 01:34:49 PM »
Mods, if this thread is inappropriate or not in the best place for it, please move.

Thanks for commenting on the danged top, Bessie and for coining the "turtles." 

Last night I was sketching out adaptations that I thought I might make to the B6221 so that I would be happy with it.   Your comment crystalized two things for me.  Why  I was struggling to make the style work - the neckline (love me a square neckline) and low number of seams - since the challis I want to make it up in is so fragile.   When I saw your comment this morning, your thoughts about it being wrong for the style of the other pieces was a lightbulb for me.  That pattern is a really causal style (as BH said "it's so simple!")  - just not in keeping with other pieces in the collection. I am going to skip this pattern and go looking for another.  I actually have another muslin started - but it is cut on the bias and would take so much of the emerald green challis I am not sure there would be enough left over for a skirt. 

I am really going to have a "mull" about these last pieces in the emerald green challis and the rust colored wool crepe.

edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 05:42:54 PM by CCL »

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
Re: Slow Sewing SWAP "Turtles" Chatter
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 04:11:50 PM »
Here's what I responded to Bessiecrocker on your SWAP individual topic, CCL:

MODS/SWAP coordinator: Could we move the non-completers (me included) who are still slow sewing swap to another thread, or start a comment thread so we can comment on things still in progress? No one is now regularly kooking at the Swap comment thread.

So, sorry if me posting here is breaking the rules.

I'm still swap sewing too...we need a turtle catagory. For the also rans crawls.

Bessiecrocker and all, just keep posting in your individual SWAP topics as you have been doing. Anyone can comment on those topics now that SWAP is over. You may want to edit your very first post of your own SWAP topic where the topic title is and eliminate the request to reply on the main SWAP discussion thread.

So, to reiterate--now that SWAP is over, all comments are now welcome in the individual SWAP threads. Carry on, slow SWAPers. I for one am very interested in seeing your projects progress to completion. You all have done some lovely work. :)

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 09:19:34 PM »
I like this idea. I'd given up on posting, since I'd not completed in the allotted time, but as a "turtle" I can actually keep on going at my own pace. Which will likely have my SWAP done sometime in mid autumn, what wearing layers will once again seem like a good idea
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 03:17:58 AM »
Yay, IndigoTiger!   Actually, you came up with the idea of the slow swap a couple years ago...and now Bessie has given us a name..the turtles.

I spent some time trying out yet another pattern with some cheap yucky fabric. Not there yet, but I feel as if I am getting closer.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 06:40:50 AM »
the speed control on my sewing machine is marked with a tortoise and a hare...some of us are just set at the lower end of the spectrum.

I've gotten detoured from swap by repadding and recovering my dress form. I'm feeling the need to move the SWAP dial back over towards the rabbit because I had set my personal deadline for June 1.  Yikes...

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
I was thinking about this, and that I might continue the SWAP now my health challenges seem to be over (had a pacemaker implant), but.....  It's now winter here.  My SWAP really was designed for summer/warm weather.  I'm debating if I could just amend it so the short sleeve tops are long sleeves, but I'm not sure.  Or I might just join in the next 6PAC.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 11:08:33 AM by Melinda_B »
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline Bookish

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 11:18:12 AM »

Yay for "Turtles"!
 I too am glad there will be more inspiration, awe and delight to watch for.  As Kathryn said, there has been some lovely work done. 

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 12:20:42 PM »
Thank you, Mods, for pinning this thread for us slow sewing turtles, so much easier to find now.

I worked on another muslin for the top over the weekend.  I am not really making much progress, though. I think I am stumped by the fabric.  If I get a chance later today, I will try to post a better photo of it and maybe folks here can help.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 04:05:18 PM »
CCL, I'm stalking your fickr photos...what if you took the shell from your autumn 2015 6-pack and put the square collar on it from the current Butterick? use the keyhole back opening if you can't just pull it on.  why reinvent the wheel?

if your concern is that your fabric is too soft...there are ways to beef up the fabric. Underline. Or just reinforce the seamlines, for example with washed organza ...using just the selvedge edges as seam tape. this leaves the body/challis nice and light and drapey, but gives a bit of stability for construction purposes. Won't show,  organza comes in a zillon colors or you can dye it or use skin color. you probably want some on the collar facing, too.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 10:40:31 PM »
Thank you, BessieCrocker.  I don't know exactly why this fabric has me so befuddled -- but it does even more so than my usual problem with "starting with fabric."  It's definitely not my strong suit. 

I finally managed to get a quick photo to try to show the drape, weight etc.  I really love it and the color and I think that's part of the reason I am hesitating so much... don't want to mess it up.

I hope the photo on the left gives a sense of the softness and drape.  I found some bemberg lining that's a close color match - the two fabrics side by side in the photo on the right. (The bemberg is also that little square of fabric pinned to the shoulder.)  I actually contemplated making a Ao Dai - because I thought it would allow the fabric to shine - especially if I made white silk pants to go under - but in truth, I would probably never wear it...

Using the shell I copied from a RTW blouse for the 2015 Autumn 6-PAC is a great idea - I have made that several times and wear them quite often.   I've located a couple of quarter circle skirt patterns that might work for the skirt with the lining underneath.

Thanks for helping me brainstorm this through.

wool-challis

wool challis and bemberg lining
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 10:45:53 PM by CCL »

Offline Magimum

• Subscribed Member
    • I blog at Poor Mother
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 10:47:56 AM »
CCL that is a gorgeous colour. I was thinking about wool challis the other day. Haven't sewn any for years, but that and wool crepe used to be favourites of mine.

I don't see it very often these days, will search some out.

Lisa
My flickr feed https://flic.kr/ps/28QUmm

My blog: poormother.co.uk
and flowerdogdesigns.co.uk - where my machine embroidery will live, eventually.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 09:13:26 PM »
Lisa,  thanks!  Sometimes really beautiful fabric brings me to a screeching halt.

I found this challis at Mood years ago when I first started buying fabric online - I had a very specific pattern in mind, and a gift certificate that I felt obligated to use, so bought the material without swatching.  Of course, it wouldn't work for the intended pattern and I have been at a loss ever since on what to make with it.  I think I am getting closer, but I was really stumped for a bit, and it sort of stopped me from working on anything except muslins for awhile.  I did finish up a different muslin for it but I think I am going to pursue Bessie's idea -- I have an idea for a sleeve treatment, but I want to mull on it a while.

I decided to put the SWAP sewing on a back burner while I make up some needed summer things, but hope to be back at it soon.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 03:42:23 AM by CCL »

Offline LyndaG

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 06:41:54 AM »
Melinda B, remember Spring and summer are only a few months away so may be being a turtle for another couple of months will give you a new wardrobe for Spring.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 03:25:49 PM »
I haven’t had any time for sewing or visiting here much for weeks but happy to say back in the sewing room now  :)

CCL that fabric is gorgeous, I look forward to seeing it made up later. 

Like some of the others I’ve got distracted by the hot weather and know I need to make some summer dresses  and holiday clothes now so I think the things outstanding in my SWAP are going to be put off a bit longer.

For once we are having hot weather here for longer than a couple of days at a time and so I’ve been pulling summer fabrics out of the stash.  It’s a great chance to get some of those sewn up  ;D - it’s easy to forget what you’ve got when they are all stashed away in cupboards and drawers.  I was looking at some the other day when my hubby came home early and found me looking at some in a drawer in the linen cupboard.  I had to laugh when he said he didn’t realise I had fabric in there - I had to tell him he’d be surprised where I have fabric  :D

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »
/snip/ I was looking at some the other day when my hubby came home early and found me looking at some in a drawer in the linen cupboard.  I had to laugh when he said he didn’t realise I had fabric in there - I had to tell him he’d be surprised where I have fabric  :D

Oh my, that's a hoot! 

I am slowly sewing that stash down, I always think it's funny that the big motivation for me to sew down stash is so that I can buy more fabric.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 03:28:09 AM »
Finally, Finally! got back to working on the wool crepe sheath dress.  Had to quickly put together some clothes for BH to wear while he recovers.  Ended up buying a bunch of cheap hospital scrubs and hemming them. 

I am only able to sew in little chunks of time but got almost 3 hours in today, which was a real treat.  The color is perfect for autumn, so I would like to get it finished before the winter storms. :))

Offline kowgiirl.up

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 02:25:11 PM »
Finally, Finally! got back to working on the wool crepe sheath dress. 

I am only able to sew in little chunks of time but got almost 3 hours in today, which was a real treat.  The color is perfect for autumn, so I would like to get it finished before the winter storms. :))

I’m glad you are back at it  :applause2:  I’ve been following this thread and wondered how you were going to squeeze in some time to sew. Feels good doesn’t it! :)
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 12:02:42 PM »

I’m glad you are back at it  :applause2:  I’ve been following this thread and wondered how you were going to squeeze in some time to sew. Feels good doesn’t it! :)

Oh, thank you so much Theresa!  I am actually closing in on getting it finished.   I still have the hem and the lining hem to go.  I ended up pinking the seam allowances on the lining, but still unsure of what treatment I want for the seam allowances on the wool crepe.
I came up with an idea for the third piece out of this fabric which I might even have enough left over to do.  First though, I need to make a soft fleece jacket that BH can sleep in...nights are getting chilly and BH requested one.   He is getting better so I have a little more time to sew.

Offline kowgiirl.up

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 02:38:23 PM »
He is getting better

I’m glad. Yes, he needs a nice and cozy jacket and you get to sew it. That’s  a win, win.
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 12:03:49 PM »
I finished hemming the dress and lining last night.  It will be a while before I can get all the seam allowances of the crepe hand whipped...I wasn't going to do it,  but the fabric is so ravelry that I decided that I had better. I can still wear the dress in the meantime. Will try to post a picture later.  Feels good to have done something on last year's SWAP.  I think I just have 2 garments left to make.   But first I need to finish hemming another pair of hospital scrubs for BH and making  his polar fleece jacket before it turns too chilly.

Edited to add, photos in my SWAP thread, don't want to clutter the board with a gazillion photos of the same thing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 11:31:12 AM by CCL »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 05:03:51 PM »
and I finished the last piece of the second neutral yesterday.   I can't believe it's been a year since I started this.  And I still have the second (and probably third) accent to go.   I need to review my tally as I think I could actually be finished with just one more garment out of the accent color... but I am still mulling whether two pieces would  be more versatile than one (top and skirt versus dress).    Yes, it's that danged wool challis... the last to be sewn up!