Author Topic: Please help me understand how to sew a lined shrug or bolero  (Read 3154 times)

Offline fashionStudent

Hello Fellow stitchers and sewists.

I have been struggling with this for a few days now.

I have drafted a pattern for a bolero. Its a fairly simple pattern. It has 2 bodice fronts and one bodice back. It is sleeveless and open in the front. I want to sew up this shrug/ bolero so that it is fully lined and I want to know if there is a way to make this without having to topstich the armholes.

I found these instructions on how to sew a lined vest, which calls for topstitching the armholes. My question is. Can this vest be sewn without topstitching the armholes? In other words, I would like for there to be no exposed seams.

Thank you

http://www.ehow.com/how_7718873_directions-sewing-lined-vests.html
Thanks!!
PJ (Princess Jasmine) :0)

Offline blue mooney

• If it feels good, wear it!
Re: Please help me understand how to sew a lined shrug or bolero
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 11:59:29 AM »
I think you're going to need to do some hand sewing to finish up your shrug.

You can follow the instructions in your link, but sew the armscyes by hand rather than on the machine.

Or you could do it this way, which is what I would do (not that I'm one of the super-sewers here):
sew the fashion fabric front and back together at the shoulders.
sew the lining together at the shoulders.
then sew the lining to the fabric around the armscyes, center front, and neckline. The sides and the hem are still unstitched. Turn the whole thing right side out.
Now sew a side seam, fashion fabric to fashion fabric, lining to lining, right sides together, in one long seam. Make sure the intersecting armscye seam matches.
Do the same for the other side.
Now the hem is the only part that's still hanging free. You can do a traditional hand hem. Or you could turn the shrug inside out so that the right sides of the fabric and lining can be stitched across the bottom edge on the machine - but you'll still need to leave an opening big enough to turn the garment right side out again, and that opening will have to be hand stitched.

Maybe someone else knows a better way?

Offline fashionStudent

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 03:17:12 PM »
I think you're going to need to do some hand sewing to finish up your shrug.

You can follow the instructions in your link, but sew the armscyes by hand rather than on the machine.

Or you could do it this way, which is what I would do (not that I'm one of the super-sewers here):
sew the fashion fabric front and back together at the shoulders.
sew the lining together at the shoulders.
then sew the lining to the fabric around the armscyes, center front, and neckline. The sides and the hem are still unstitched. Turn the whole thing right side out.
Now sew a side seam, fashion fabric to fashion fabric, lining to lining, right sides together, in one long seam. Make sure the intersecting armscye seam matches.
Do the same for the other side.
Now the hem is the only part that's still hanging free. You can do a traditional hand hem. Or you could turn the shrug inside out so that the right sides of the fabric and lining can be stitched across the bottom edge on the machine - but you'll still need to leave an opening big enough to turn the garment right side out again, and that opening will have to be hand stitched.

Maybe someone else knows a better way?

Blue Mooney. This is perfect.. I stayed up past midnight last night and this is what i figured out. I was so confused on how to do it since I was trying to follow the link for the very but I went back to how we applied facings in the llast class where we covered necklines and tried to use the concepts. I treated the lining like a "big facing" and it made sense...

This is a really  good way to do it. This will there will be 2-3 inches oh handstitching but the armholes will look professionally done.

Thanks so much. I will post my finshed product in the next few days
Thanks!!

Offline AzaleaCitySewer

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 03:58:56 PM »
Hi:

I just sewed a lined bolero and didn't do a lick of handsewing.  I did a lot of ironing though!

Sew the three parts of the jacket together.

Sew the three parts of the lining together.

Sew the lining to the jacket everywhere except the four side seams.  Leave a 1/2 inch unsewn at all eight points on the four side seams.

Clip curves, press, then turn the bolero right side out.

Pin the side seams, right sides together, and sew carefully until you run out of space.  You should end up with about 1 inch of unsewn seam. 

Press.

I hope this helps!  My bolero sewed up very quickly.  Let's see if I can figure out how to post a picture.

The pattern I used for this bolero was Simplicity 2400.  Super easy.

Deirdre
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:05:21 PM by AzaleaCitySewer »

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 04:10:46 PM »
Hi Deirdre (AzaleaCitySewer), and welcome to Stitcher's Guild!

What a beautiful bride you were.  It's always nice to see brides who sew for themselves.  :)

If you haven't had a chance yet, take a look at the thread titled "Are you new? Please read this thread first..." which will give you an orientation to this board, including links to the groundrules, FAQs (which include directions for lots of things, like posting photos), and of course, the Sandbox, where you can try out all of the bells & whistles of this board! ;) ;D

Again, lovely to have you here! :SGheart:

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline fashionStudent

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 08:54:43 PM »
Deirdre,
That is a beautiful bolero. Thanks for sharing the instructions!
Thanks!!

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics