Author Topic: Daily Time In the Sewing Room--20-30 mins a day-- 2  (Read 7679 times)

Offline marciae

• Subscribed Member
Re: Daily Time In the Sewing Room--20-30 mins a day-- 2
« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2018, 10:50:19 PM »
Just finished cutting out my ponte jeans.  Will do the hand work on my cottage shirt tonight.  Anxious to start on the jeans.

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2018, 02:46:28 AM »
Sewsy, that sounds like a long list but you are making progress.

I spent some time today making the last curtain for the rental house, a curtain for the terrace door.  I made it out of the JoAnn's bleached muslin, the kind sold for quilt backs.  Wednesday I sewed up the cover for the window seat box cushion so the house is now ready and we are meeting up with the new tenants tomorrow for deposits.  Now I can do some fun stuff for me.

Thanks Theresa, it looks like you're making progress, too. I'm so glad to see that you're making curtain for the rental property. I think it's wonderful of you.

Offline theresa in tucson

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2018, 04:17:07 AM »
Sewsy, my parents had rental property and my mother always said, "Always put curtains and rods up.  If they are there tenants won't wreck the walls putting their's up."  From my experience, very few tenants swap out my curtains for theirs.  It's just one less thing for them to think about and it really helps when showing the houses.  I shop the sales and the bargain bin for neutral fabric, buy muslin from JoAnn's for lining and make very simple pleated panels and hang them on clip rings.  In the last house DH built window cornices securely fastened to the wall and used EMT conduit as a rod.  The rod slips in and out easily for changing the curtain.  They are much more secure than the wooden curtain rods we bought at Lowe's for previous rentals.  Those were installed with just drywall anchors and tend to loosen up over time.

The panel for the terrace door was super simple; side hems, rod pocket top and bottom and four magnets to hold everything in place.

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2018, 09:33:35 AM »
Muslin for lining! Now, why didn't I think of that! Thanks Theresa!

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2018, 01:53:47 AM »
Very gradually working on a rayon popover dress, my warm weather staple garment. Yesterday I finished cutting out the triangular hemline gores that add some twirl factor shape to the basic rectangular dress, and stitched up a few of the seams. When it is triple digits outside, the minimal clothing that still allows for decency is best, and these simple dresses, which my nana would have called a muu muu, are what I prefer. 
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #180 on: August 03, 2018, 12:03:08 AM »
The outerwear jacket is done, on to the next. I've done the tailor's tacks, will be starting it soon. I also cut out a pair of shorts in the same fabric, I've put in the tailor's tacks on those pieces as well. I'm going to get the pant, and t-shirt patterns cut out, and do the shopping for the lemon pound cake. It's a toss-up between one of two recipes I found online. Either Martha Stewart's version, it calls for buttermilk, or one by Grandbaby Cakes. Hers calls for one block of cream cheese.

I think that they are used (the buttermilk/cream cheese) to tenderize the crumb. Also, the grandbaby recipe calls for sifted cake flour rather than AP. So, since I don't have any, I'll have to get some, if I decide to go with that recipe.  :)

Offline vtmartha

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #181 on: August 03, 2018, 12:10:56 AM »
Also, the grandbaby recipe calls for sifted cake flour rather than AP. So, since I don't have any, I'll have to get some, if I decide to go with that recipe.  :)

When I have a recipe that calls for cake flour, I use all purpose and remove 1-2 tablespoons per cup.  You can probably find that substitution online.

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #182 on: August 03, 2018, 06:16:23 AM »
Spent closer to an hour in the sewing room this morning, and finished up the hemline binding and sewed the patch pockets on my new popover dress. It is wearable now, but will be a better addition to my wardrobe once I overdye it with teal fiber reactive dye...

narrow bias binding on hemline
Imagine the white as teal, the various blues and greens shifted towards deeper teal, and the hot pink as a dull plum... much more my style as far as color and contrast.

(fabric dyeing may be tomorrow afternoons project, as most of today was lost trying to deal with dental insurance paperwork, and coping with Stupid Tooth which hurts, because cracked... sewing project is helping me stay sane)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 07:00:50 AM by indigotiger »
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #183 on: August 03, 2018, 11:07:17 AM »
Also, the grandbaby recipe calls for sifted cake flour rather than AP. So, since I don't have any, I'll have to get some, if I decide to go with that recipe.  :)

When I have a recipe that calls for cake flour, I use all purpose and remove 1-2 tablespoons per cup.  You can probably find that substitution online.

Thanks Martha. I'll do just that if I use Grandbaby's recipe.

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2018, 04:13:54 PM »
Ok, well I did a length alteration on the next jacket pattern pieces. When I put the front and it's pockets together, it was PAINFULLY obvious that I'd made a mistake. The pockets were too close to the bust darts. Oh bother. (It's a short jacket to begin with...at or above high hip length :P)

Fortunately, I had a bit of fabric that I was going to do "something" with in the way of an extra pair of walk shorts or just in case I didn't redraft the one piece sleeve into two, correctly. Well, that "something" turned out to be recutting the front, back, facings and lower back pieces. I've put them together, it looks A LOT better with the length where it was originally. I'd added the inch or so that I took away from the waist, to the hem, but it wasn't going to work.

I'd gotten as far as putting the fronts and backs together when one of the spools of serger thread ran out. Figured it was time to stop until I get more thread. Hopefully, it'll be done in a bit, then onto the knee length shorts. Still have to cut out the tee and cardigan, pants and bake her cake.

It's going ok, though.

Here's a pic of the pattern: OOP Butterick 5617
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 04:15:56 PM by sewsy »

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #185 on: August 09, 2018, 08:32:28 PM »
It's steamy today.  We had a nice rain last night so it is humid, the sun has come out and the heat is just kicking into high gear.  I'm hoping we get more rain tonight as yesterday was not nearly enough.

My sewing mojo is flitting on and off.  I have a pair of jeans sewn up with just the waistband and hems left but I'm taking a short coffee break before wading back in.  I decided to go bold and topstitch in bright red thread.  It looks terrific against the dark blue denim.  And I have enough scraps left over to get started on a new shopping bag.  That is if I don't get distracted again.  Closet Case Files had a tutorial on reusable produce bags and I thought using some organza (it's see-thru) would work nicely.  I'm tired of taking plastic bags back to the grocery store and hunting down their recycle bin.  I'm never sure if they really recycle or just toss in the garbage.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: August 09, 2018, 08:35:37 PM »
I have been out of sewing commission for the entire month of July, and August isn't shaping up much better. So many demands on my puny amount of free time, and mostly by people who don't have a hobby and can't understand why I get so grumpy when I can barely visit my sewing room.  :'(

Oh well, winter is coming (with a nod to Game of Thrones) and life settles down a bit then. In the meanwhile, perhaps I'll be able to score a few 20 minute sessions soon. I want to sew a romper for grandbaby and those kimonos for myself and DD. Should be simple sewing--a good way to get back into the swing of things.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2018, 08:44:01 PM »
Here's to winter coming, Kathryn, and life in the slower lane!

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #188 on: August 18, 2018, 02:39:14 PM »
I'm also waiting for life to slow down. No sewing at all in July I think, and so far none in Aug. Gonna try for a few minutes today, hope to cut out a tank or tee, and a pair of pants to sew up in the coming weeks.
Wendy

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #189 on: August 18, 2018, 04:29:20 PM »
I did some refashioning projects and a bit of mending and alterations. Nothing big or too complicated. Still useful projects so worth it.

I bought a small 8 cube unit which I've got in the sewing room for Burda magazines and notions.

Offline Helen M

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #190 on: August 18, 2018, 04:43:17 PM »
This week I've shortened a new pair of jeans and the sleeves of an unlined jersey RTW blazer. They look good together with one of the white T shirts that I made earlier.
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #191 on: August 18, 2018, 06:53:02 PM »
Helen, I seem to be in the same mode.  I shortened two pairs of scrubs for BH and hemmed them up.  Bought some fabric for some comfortable around the house shorts for him, and while it's drying, looking at old patterns to modify to make something that he will find useful.

Hope to get back to working on my dress. 

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2018, 12:34:52 PM »
I actually had a total of 8 hours in my sewing studio this week! Amazing!

I'm making a baby sweater on one of my knitting machines. Of course it's not simple but should be. I always make things harder.

This one is a striped cardi sweater meant to be knit all in one piece but I'm making it with two yarns with two different gauges, one solid and the other self-striping. So the sleeves must be made separately since the stripes need to run the right way.  Right now I'm trying to figure out how to the make striped sleeves from the cuff up and still have the stripes match the front's stripes. As if a toddler would care.  :D

What makes it hard is that self-striping yarn's stripe width is determined by the size of the piece. Wide piece=narrow stripes; narrower piece=wide stripes. Sleeves go from wide at the top to narrow at the cuff. I may just make them in the solid yarn and be done with it!

Then maybe it's on to a bit of sewing?

Kathryn
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 12:39:47 PM by fzxdoc »
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2018, 01:45:37 PM »
Got four shirts up to the buttonhole and button stage and did the buttonholes yesterday before heading out to a celebration.  Today I need to put on the buttons and have DH try on his new shirt.  I suspect I may need to shorten the sleeves.  It's from an old Palmer and Pletsch unisex pattern that is very oversized.  Looking at the pattern envelope you can see that the sleeve hem hits the model's elbow.  If he wants it shorter I will need to trim the sleeve and then add a hem facing to do the turn up properly.

Next up is some unselfish sewing.  The latest fabric haul included some "beer" patterned fabric that we found when we visited the SAS fabric store when we were in Tempe (Phoenix, Arizona area) and he needs a new shirt for watching baseball.  JoAnn's had baseball fabric with all the team logos that I could not resist.  Both fabrics are washed and dried and ready to cut.

Offline Saashka

• Subscribed Member
  • sewing in southern Maryland
« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2018, 04:32:17 PM »
I’ve been working on fitting these last few weeks. Slowly but surely. SFD Dress Kit is on my table right now, waiting to be cut in muslin. In the past, I’ve been content with “close enough” but this year I’m determined to get things “exactly right”.

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2018, 11:35:38 PM »
Well, I managed to get one dress cut, and found the fabric and pattern for the pants. I'll see if I can cut those out tomorrow.
Wendy

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #196 on: August 20, 2018, 02:18:41 AM »
I’ve been working on fitting these last few weeks. Slowly but surely. SFD Dress Kit is on my table right now, waiting to be cut in muslin. In the past, I’ve been content with “close enough” but this year I’m determined to get things “exactly right”.
Good for you, but dont let it drive you nuts.
sdBev

Offline Saashka

• Subscribed Member
  • sewing in southern Maryland
« Reply #197 on: August 20, 2018, 10:05:25 AM »
Good advice, Bev, thank you! I’ll keep it in mind. I have the bodice fitted to my liking, the skirt is close (just needs the darts moved and lengthened), and the sleeve will need some work still.

Offline Sewshopper

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #198 on: August 20, 2018, 03:01:18 PM »
The thing about ‘perfect fit’ is that it is illusive.  All you need to do is have some time pass and it is no longer ‘perfect’ because over time gravity gets ya!  So Bev has the right idea.  Enjoy the process but don’t obsess.
Karleene
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 03:04:26 PM by Sewshopper »

Offline PJSewingal

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #199 on: August 20, 2018, 09:49:15 PM »
The thing about ‘perfect fit’ is that it is illusive.

Boy, is that the truth!  I keep working on the fitting tweaks and find if I get too obsessed I never finish anything.

I have been doing a bit of sewing in the evenings during the week.  Just finished a CLD vest - not thrilled with the style on me.  Or maybe it is the color blocking I did - not sure.  I am having a case of style craziness.  Every time I try some new style, it just doesn't feel like me so I think I should just stick with the classics.  But then I think that gets boring.  I am thinking about fall and what I want to sew - it is always tops that I need.  I envy all of you who know exactly what you want to wear.
Paula
Sew many ideas, Sew little time

Blog: https://spoolsandyards.wordpress.com/

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #200 on: Yesterday at 06:25:11 AM »
I really dislike fitting I think that's why I use TNT patterns so much.
I am making a cardigan jacket with contrast sleeves at the moment, will share when done.