Author Topic: PM (private message) Spam  (Read 2210 times)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
  • The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
    • Your Button Shop
PM (private message) Spam
« on: July 16, 2011, 07:36:13 PM »
Thread Combining Note: Several threads concerning spamming PMs have been combined.  See the "message below" for more information. -- Lisa

I am Barrister Enyinnaya from Togo. Barrister at Law, and I will like to be your friend.

This person has already been banned.  Just delete any messages you see from him.  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:25:12 AM by Lisa »
Looking for the perfect button?  I may have one in my Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline reanns

• Re's Home on the Road
spam in my mailbox
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:23:56 PM »
I received a spam message in my SG mailbox today.  Its still there as I wanted an admiin person to check it out
How is thos happening?

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
Re: spam in my mailbox
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 08:30:01 PM »
I received a spam message in my SG mailbox today.  Its still there as I wanted an admiin person to check it out
How is thos happening?

Reanns, you'll find a "report to admin"  link at the bottom of each PM you receive.  Just click and tell us what you need us to know.  But before you do, you might want to check this thread, which discusses a former member who was making inappropriate PMs and has been banned.

HTH,

Lisa

etc: spelling
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:18:49 PM by Lisa »
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
  • The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
    • Your Button Shop
Re: Private messages asking for "friendship"
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 09:35:49 PM »
bump, as many reports are still coming in.  This person has been banned.
Looking for the perfect button?  I may have one in my Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline andib

Foreign language messages left on SG.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 11:53:22 PM »
Hi,
I got a private message (spam) in my SG message box. It was in another language.. I reported it to the mods, but I wanted to give people a heads up to be careful.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
Re: PM (private message) Spam
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:08:02 AM »
That guy has been banned. Just delete your PM.

I wish they couldn't get access to the PM option, but they're pretty wiley and sneaky. :-\

Kathryn

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:20:38 AM »
We've had two of these (PM spammers) in the last two days.  Unfortunately, there's no way for us to tell how many PMs they've sent or who they've sent them to.  And even if we knew who had been targeted, we wouldn't be able to delete the message...only you have access to your PM box, so only you can delete them.  I suppose that there are computer whizzes who could get around the forum's software protections for your privacy, but we aren't those whizzes, and we don't want to violate your privacy.  So...

If you get a spamming PM, you'll have to delete it yourself (because of the privacy protections we can't do it for you).  However we do want to deal with (that is, ban) the sender, so that they won't be able to continue sending spam.  That means we need to get a report from at least one of you that you've received PM spam.  You'll find a "report to Admin" link in the lower right hand corner of each PM you get.  Just click that and tell us about it.  We'll take it from there--they won't be using SG again.

To address another concern expressed by some of you.  Because these spam messages are sent using the fourm's PM system, most of you will have received an e-mail notice of the PM.  Those notices include part of the PM sent to you.  The spammer does not have your e-mail address and can't send anything to you directly.  If you are concerned about reading e-mail from SG, note that all the message is telling you is to check your PMs here.  So feel free to delete such notices without reading them in your e-mail, come here, access your PM box and deal with your mail here.  

Finally, for those of you wondering if we've already had a report from your spammer, I'll be posting the name of the banned PM spammers I have notice of so you can check in this thread if you like.  There's no need to scan this entire thread, just around and after the date of the PM sent to you.  If we've banned them already, you don't need to tell us again, just delete the PM from your inbox.

HTH,

Lisa

Banned PM Spammers in the last two days:

felixenyinnaya
LuchikRaya

etc: grammar
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:30:15 AM by Lisa »
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline sewnow1004

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 02:21:59 AM »
Thanks Moderators for this info.

You might also want to remind members not disclose their email addresses in posts and to adjust their profiles to prevent them from being seen by others.

Linda

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »
Another one banned:

carawanna

Offline SewRusty

• Sewist Wannabe
  • It just makes me laugh...
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Would it be possible to restrict the PM function until a poster has say...10 posts? That might help cut down on the issues. If someone desperately needs to get through they can always email DL or someone, because that shouldn't be something that is a frequent occurrence. Or at least I wouldn't think it would be.

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 10:51:55 PM »
So after I read this thread, I realized that I can't see private messages.  The place on the top of the home page that use to show pm's is not there ???
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 10:58:03 PM »
So after I read this thread, I realized that I can't see private messages.  The place on the top of the home page that use to show pm's is not there ???

You'll find a link titled "My Messages," but in a slightly different place.  It's in the line of links below your avatar that starts with "Home," "Help," "Search," etc.  When you put your cursor on it, a drop down menu will pop up, where you can choose between reading and sending messages.

HTH, :)

Lisa

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 11:14:22 PM »
Thanks Lisa.
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics