Author Topic: Dressforms / Dummy  (Read 96452 times)

Julia in Houston

Re: Dressforms
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2006, 03:06:30 PM »
Linda, if necessary, you can use an electric knife to perform 'surgery' on the UY form.  Many, many years ago, one of the ladies in a class I was in had to do a double mastectomy on hers, then reduce the size and glue them back on in a different position.  Another had to slope the shoulders more.

In addition to a helper, I would advise a full length mirror. Also keep your digital camera handy for side by side shots for comparison. (We didn't have that tool 35 years ago!)

If you search PR, there are some excellent posts by Debbie Cook, made during and after she customized her form (not UY).  She also put up photos on her website.  In the Tips and Techniques, Kathryn has posted  an excellent tutorial on customizing a dress form. Hrs was also not a UY.  Nevertheless, both made a number of excellent points that apply to any dress form.

If you decide to use your own software sloper as the base for your cover, it must be a shoulder princess, with CF/CB seam/opening, and it needs to be mid-thigh length.  Whether you make your own cover or use the one from UY, after the cover is pin fitted to you, so that it is as tight as a second skin, stitch it a few threads tighter on each of the lengthwise seams when you sew it up.  There will be some slight stretching caused by the foam and any additional padding.   Oh, and if you make your own, you'll need to add some darts from CF to apex unless you prefer the uni-boob look.  heehee

A dry cleaner's bag is handy to use over any padding when you are putting on and taking off the cover during the process.  After you've got the padding to the point that it's duplicated your figure and posture, you can use strips of that lightest weight fusible non-woven interfacing to hold the padding in place. Just lay the strips in place and press with your iron. Then use the dry cleaner's bag again (make sure it's completely open at top and botom), slip the cover on, zip it up most of the way, and then pull the dry cleaner's bag out the botom. 

My mentor and teacher actually preferred that our forms be a tiny bit larger than each of us as she was aware that most beginners tend to fit too tightly on a form, neglecting the need for eae.

Almost forgot - if you do use an electric knife, do NOT ever use it for food!  Best of luck with it, and do keep us advised of your progress, with pictures.  We all love pictures

Julia in Houston

Offline LindaL

• Danvillegirl Sewing Diary
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2006, 09:59:34 PM »
Julia, thank you so much for your very helpful comments.  Apparently you have quite a bit of experience in this area.  I truly appreciate it. :)

I am doing a little bit of the fitting myself but have enticed a sewing buddy to help me.  Will provide feedback as I can.  Great idea about digital camera.
"Change is the only constant thing in life"
http://danvillegirl.blogspot.com

Julia in Houston

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2006, 04:04:28 AM »
I was a little bored while ago, so decided to look up those references and  post them in case anyone is interested.

url for Kathryn's tip/technique re Dress forms (Kathryn is of course, fzxdoc)
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/review/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=1013

Debbie Cook's dress form photos
http://www.cedesign.com/familyphotos/sewing/dressform/index.html

PR discussion that includes Debbie Cook's detailed remarks about getting the form to duplicate your own figure etc and might have some remarks from Kathryn as well.  Of course, Kathryn is known as fzxdoc here.  There are also some other worthwhile remarks, but I didn't remember who made them and I did not go back and read the entire thread as it is now at some 26 pages.  heehee
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/sewingclasses/board.pl?t=11684

I did have a lot of good ecxperience at one time, but that was so long ago that it took reading the above remarks earlier this year to refresh my memory!  If you happen to have a good collection of Threads magazines, especially the older ones that were the larger format, there have been some very interesting articles over the years about dress forms and draping on dress forms.  The online index at the Threads website would help you locate those articles.  If you don't have the magazines, I *think* that Threads will make copies for you for a small fee. Also, most of the articles were rerinted in one of the Threaeds books that you might still be able to find at used and overstock book dealers.  I'm fairly sure the one title is "Fitting the Figure".  If you need possible online sources, let me know. :)

Julia in Houston

Offline LindaL

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2006, 11:42:03 PM »
Update, my dress form is almost complete. :smug:  You can see it here.  I still have a little tweaking to do.  I want to add a little padding for my tummy that pooches out a little.  I am also thinking of adding a little at the back hip line for my hip fluff.  I alway compensate for this when cutting out patterns but having it on the dress form will aid me somewhat in tweaking the fit.

I really appreciate the information that was shared here about dress form fitting.

Offline Natasha J

• TERRIER TAMER
    • SIAMESE RESCUE
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2006, 04:22:13 PM »
Linda you have done a great job.  :applause2:  And a BIG job.  I would never have the patience for that.  I was getting tempted by this but after seeing and hearing how much is involved with getting this right I will continue to lust after the plaster cast one.   
SPAY NEUTER ADOPT    www.siameserescue.org  SIAMESE RESCUE

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2006, 04:43:48 PM »
Linda, how wonderful that your dressform is looking more like you, and you'll be able to use it for designing and fitting.  I'm a real dressform cheerleader.  I think they're one of the most underutilized things in many sewing rooms, and yet when they are shaped correctly, they are awesome!

Enjoy your new "you".  ;D

Julia in Houston

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2006, 12:51:51 AM »
She looks great, Linda!  And what a moving tribute to your grandmother and mother!

You will absolutely love having AM in your sewing studio, and will wonder w3hy you didn't do this a whole lot sooner!  I am excited for you.

Julia

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2006, 01:08:37 PM »
Linda ~ so glad that you finished Alma Marie!  You can tell that she and Lulu (my dressform) are related but look quite differently!  ;D
Let us know how you like working with her!
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2006, 03:35:01 PM »
Linda,  Congratulations on finishing!  And I agree, what a lovely tribute to the special women who began your sewing odyssey. :)

Offline twistedangel

• Twistedangel's Studio
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2006, 06:15:14 PM »
Hi Linda,

I have one of these also.  To echo those above, You WILL need help.  And hopefully someone you trust to not stick you with pins!

The bust is very, ummm, busty.   It WILL squish down if you alter the cover right.

I have the Petite, and I was on the line over this one or the next one up.  I'm really glad I got this one because the fit through the shoulders is perfect, and I doubt the other would have worked for me, in that regard.

The only complaint I have is the stand.  The form has to constantly be hoisted up and re-positioned because that plastic ring + clamp is not very reliable.

If you have a "man about the house", I'm sure he would love to help "solve your problem".  I have yet to ask my man because he always goes for the "optimal solution", which can take a while for him to find, which means I will be out of my (now favorite) form in the meantime.

I also love how you can just stick pins all over her, and use a vertical steamer.

I've got plans to draft a cover that will look like she's wearing a 50's pinup swimsuit.  I hate leaving her "naked".   :P
Stuff to waste your time...
My workspace: http://www.twistedangelstudio.com
My huge vintage pattern collection: http://www.patternaddiction.com (last upload: 10/01/2006)
Help me pick my next project!! (on hold until I catch up)

Offline LindaL

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2006, 12:53:41 AM »
I have to tell you that my dress form is working out quite well.  I added some padding at the waist/tummy area.  I did not have to do a bust augmentation after all.  Once I took the variance from my measurements and the forms from the first cover fitting, the perky/busty bust compressed on it's on.

Twistedangel, I do love pinning on this form.  It works so well!  I am really starting to enjoy this form :crush: and I think I made the right decision.  :applause2:  The stand is not the best, I agree.  The swivel screws are messing up the bottom of the form as I like to swivel the stand as I am fitting, but that little screw rubs up against the foam causing it to crumble.  :-\ I think I might try taping the bottom of the foam at that point and maybe it will stop the crumbles.

Offline kath

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2006, 03:00:12 AM »
Can this form be used for a tall torso and greater than normal back to waist measurement?

Offline twistedangel

• Twistedangel's Studio
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2006, 04:17:16 AM »
LindaL - well, Looks like I need to set Daniel (boyfriend) and his team of Berkley & Caltech Engineers onto the problem.  We should hopefully have a solution by the new year.?? Hopefully.  You can be guaranteed it will be Optimal and High Tech.  Overkill is their "Angela Touch" <= like my new phrase??  :P

BTW - I saw rosettes at the fashion show last weekend.  I had HOPED that she would have killed that trend in the crib... oh well.

kath - I don't see why this wouldn't work.  Expect some difficulty squishing the foam in the original hips area.  If your bust point is not in the normal range of variance, you could have a problem.
My huge vintage pattern collection: http://www.patternaddiction.com (last upload: 10/01/2006)

Offline kath

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2006, 05:01:50 AM »
i have more of an hour glass figrue 36-30 40.  I am 5'8 with a elongating torso, a deep hip, elongating crocth

Offline twistedangel

• Twistedangel's Studio
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2006, 05:55:08 AM »
Do you usually have to alter in the shoulder/bust area at all?

Because this is pretty much the one thing that you should go by when considering one of these... if you have a very low or high bust point, you could be in trouble.  But if you're pretty average (read not extreme), then you'll be fine.

These forms do work very well for hourglass figures.

What you will wind up doing is reshaping the seams in the underbust down through the hip area, and you will have to squish the original hips down, but that's all.  It's just one big squishie ball.

The form has a pretty long hip already, so you should be fine.

I will scan the instructions so that you know what it is capable of doing...

Page One

Page Two

If you can't read those, here's .pdf UNIQUELY YOU INSTRUCTIONS
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 06:03:56 AM by twistedangel »

Online Ann C

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2006, 08:21:19 AM »
LindaL,

I have the same dress form and as you said, the base is definitely the pits!  You can add a secretarial chair base to it like DH did for me.  I've posted a http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=12l2aau9.ahj5b1m5&Uy=-an5gwo&Ux=0  link here so you can see what it looks like.  We removed the chair from the base and added a piece of galvanized pipe from Home Depot, then slipped the dress form onto the pipe.  Voila, a dancing dress form that moves around quite easily!

:thumbsup:

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2006, 06:57:50 PM »
Ann ~ What a great idea!  My form is currently missing a base and this would be an ideal solution!

LindaL ~ I also added a bra that was seeing some wear to my dressform because of Kathryn's suggestions.  It works well in resembling the real "me!"   :)
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2006, 10:54:10 PM »
Ann
Such a great idea, DH is going to do something to mine too! I must say, though, his initial response was - "They had to go to Home Depot for a piece of pipe?!?" He's thinking adding casters to the existing base. Maybe we'll see an abandoned desk chair this week on trash night(s). You never know - we picked up a stereo receiver and pair of speakers by the side of the road today, 1970's era, very expensive at the time. He is thrilled - and they work  ::)

I really should make a new cover for her and come up with a name ...

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2006, 03:17:55 AM »

Such a great idea, DH is going to do something to mine too! I must say, though, his initial response was - "They had to go to Home Depot for a piece of pipe?!?"

:faintthud: You mean they didn't have a pipe "in inventory"? :laughalot:  This sounds like our house!  (When you farm or have farmed, you know that you'd better have what you may need someday, on hand now.  If not, the parts place will be closed.)

I would say you have a DH that understands the concept of a stash (or inventory)! ;D

JenSews

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2006, 03:35:40 AM »
I love the stand idea.  I have a Uniquely you and didn't do well in the fitting.  My DH helped and he pretty much squished me into the cover skin tight.  We didn't have the instructions, but I did call the Uniquely You phone number and got the instruction sheet.  I just had to send them a SASE and they sent them to me, no charge.  I think I'm going to have to try the fitting again.  The bust is too small and in the wrong shape due to the squishing, and the shoulder angle isn't right.  I have very square erect shoulders and couldn't get the shoulders right and the shoulders/bust are the key to most garments!  We will be trying again soon, this time with the instructions and a few fitting classes under my belt this time.

I do have a funny story though.  I had both of my dressforms (one in a dress and one in just a bra) and hanging out in our walk in closet.  My poor brother in law walked by them in a half-lit room and got quite a fright to see 2 headless dressforms, one half naked, in the shadows. LOL  We all got a good laugh out of that one.

I love to see the progress.  Mine is not quite useful yet, but hopefully soon will be.

Jen

Julia in Houston

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2006, 06:28:49 AM »
JenSews, you can add padding ( shoulder pads) tp square up the shoulders. If the back shoulder area is too rounded and won't squish, perform surgery - an electric knife works well. Just be sure that the form's bust apex to shoulder measurements match your own.

It's best to order a size smaller form than what you measure, but order the cover in the correct size for your measurements, or make your own cover.  If the form's bust is in the wrong place for your shape, you perform surgery.  Then the boobs are glued into the correct location for your figure.  I've forgotten what kind of glue was used when we did this in fashion school - it was about 35 years ago.

I am short, but long waisted with a CB length of 17 inches and had no problem with locating the aistline properly.

If you choose to use the electric knife, it can be cleaned afterwards using WD40 but then can NOT be used for food. 

Quilt batting can be used for padding, but I understand that cotton upholstery batting is better.

Do these forms still come with a litle plastic ring thing that you tighten for height adjustment?  The one on mine is broken and I am desperate for a way to get her back to the right height.  Any ideas are welcome.

Julia

Offline Dia

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2006, 06:05:24 PM »
Ann,
I like the idea of the secretarial chair.  It is a good idea.
Thank you for sharing.
Dia

Offline twistedangel

• Twistedangel's Studio
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2006, 07:01:30 PM »
Ann,
I like the idea of the secretarial chair.  It is a good idea.
Thank you for sharing.
Dia

I second that. 

Thx!

JenSews

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2006, 09:24:19 PM »
Thanks Julia for the tips.  I was thinking the same thing about shoulder pads.

My plastic ringy thingy is broken as well.  I have a temporary fix with a large rubber band tightly wrapped around the pole as a rubber stopper. (Does that make sense?).  It is temporary until I can think of a better solution. 

I like the secretary chair idea.  In fact, we have an extra chair with wheels. the lifter is broken, but it might work for this.  I would love to be able to roll her around.

Jen

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2006, 02:53:38 AM »
AnnC, that DH of yours is a real keeper!  He has made your sewing room a veritable sewist's dream, and now to learn that he optimized your dressform, too--well, I'm *really* impressed! 

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2006, 08:20:04 PM »

My plastic ringy thingy is broken as well.  I have a temporary fix with a large rubber band tightly wrapped around the pole as a rubber stopper. (Does that make sense?).  It is temporary until I can think of a better solution. 

Jen

Jen, All that thingy is is a plastic ring (like a bushing) with a couple of thumbscrews in it that contact the pole when screwed in.  I think you could go to a hardware store (better if it's more a small, local one rather than Home Depot or similar) and take either the broken pieces, or your pole diameter measurement, and they could either find you one, or make one out of a bushing or something similar.  They might even drill you some holes in a metal one, although plastic would be easier, as it would be self-threading.  Otherwise, ask them for a good sturdy clip thing that you could just clip on in the right place.  Vise-grips have something like this I think that are a clamp-type tool.  What you need is a guy who likes to figure things out, and there's usually one in a hardware store if you look.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 08:24:58 PM by Liana »

Offline twistedangel

• Twistedangel's Studio
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2006, 09:34:39 PM »
Here's my suggestion (it's not the most high tech, and probably not Optimal), but I would suggest a piece of a thick rubber hose that fits over the tube and a O clamp (the kind where you tighten the screw until its snug).  The rubber hose won't slip, won't have a stress point to break, and it's cheap.  Probably Ghetto, too, but I'm thinking about it because I'm tired of having to re-hoist her up.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 09:36:32 PM by twistedangel »

Offline LindaL

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2006, 12:36:51 AM »
LindaL,

I have the same dress form and as you said, the base is definitely the pits!  You can add a secretarial chair base to it like DH did for me.  I've posted a http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=12l2aau9.ahj5b1m5&Uy=-an5gwo&Ux=0  link here so you can see what it looks like.  We removed the chair from the base and added a piece of galvanized pipe from Home Depot, then slipped the dress form onto the pipe.  Voila, a dancing dress form that moves around quite easily!

:thumbsup:

AnnC, what a neat idea! :laugh:  Now if I can get my husband to do this.  I can easily get an old secretarial chair.  I may have more questions but this truly a good way to handle this and to move it around my sewing room.

Julia in Houston

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2006, 02:02:19 AM »
Jen, Liana and twisted angel, thanks for the ideas for replacing the plastic ring thing.  I knew there was some type of pipe fitting thing that might work but couldn't think of the name of it.  Now to convince DS to get me to a hrdware store.

Julia

Online Ann C

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2006, 09:29:05 AM »
Glad my idea of using an old secretarial chair base gives all of  you the idea too!  Kathryn, you're right about my DH - he is definitely a keeper! :friends:  I think up the ideas and he figures out how to carry them out!  Sometimes he has to mull over things for a while, but he generally comes up with solutions.   The office where I work was throwing it in the trash when the brainstorm hit, so I brought it home (you should have seen the look on DH face - as in what has she got up her sleeve for me to do now!).   :blowsmind:

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2006, 12:36:33 PM »
I bet you're the envy of everyone at work--you conceive of the idea, and your DH makes your dream come true.  Perfect combo! Do you use your dressform a lot, Ann? I seem to remember that you have slight scoliosis, and I would think that an accurately-padded dressform would be an immense help in tissue fitting patterns and in garment construction as well.

Online Ann C

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2006, 06:24:46 PM »
Kathryn,

Wellll - the scoliosis isn't so slight any longer! :o  It seems to change a little more for the worse each six months.  Sort of hard to get it padded - but at any rate, I've never really gotten it where it has very much resemblance to  me.  You know what I wish someone would have in the way of a workshop?  A bring-your-own-dress-form-and-we'll-help-you-get-it-padded-out-to-resemble-you kind  of workshop!!  I'd do a duct tape double, but I know I couldn't stand long enough to get one done! Too much arthritis!! There isn't anyone here that's really that much into sewing (read fitting), so it's been difficult.  Dear doctor says I'm collapsing!   :anguish: I did take a day off from work right after I got the form and a friend "tried" to help, but it really isn't right!  I just do a lot of trying on!!

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2006, 09:47:04 PM »
Someday, Ann, when my life settles down, I would love to teach a class in dressform padding.  I guess it would have to be a very small class, say two or three people at the most, but I so enjoy using my padded-for-me dressform that I want everyone to have the same fun with theirs.  It's probably just a pipe dream, but I'm always thinking of the things I would like to do "someday".

DebB

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2006, 12:00:17 AM »
A friend of mine and I recently had a discussion on dressforms and how each one of us had one that was the wrong size for us. I bought mine at a garage sale 20+ years (and many lbs) ago. It was old and sorta rickety but she had character! It had a number of panels that could be adjusted with screws inside the form and a really neat looking base. My friend had been given a dressform a few years ago and it was too big for her. I suggested we trade, with the disclaimer that mine was old and kinda "vintagey." She loved the idea. Turns out she had a Uniquely You form in excellent condition in a size that will work perfectly for me with few adjustments. She was thrilled with my old one and I love my new form. Thank you Twistedangel for posting those directions - very timely!! My new form is named Swivelizza and she seems very happy in my workroom.

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2006, 02:33:25 AM »
DebB,  What a fun story, and how nice that you and your friend are each so pleased with your "new" forms! 8)  Welcome to Stitcher's Guild as well! 

This board has lots of neat features that you may want to try.  If you have any questions or need help with anything, just ask the Moderators.  There are a couple of threads that may be of interest to you as you look around the site.  The "Are You New, Please Read This Thread First" is a good place to start, as is  Forum Decorum & FAQ and of course there's the ever-popular Sandbox where you can try out all the features, and which is a very easy place to get help or have questions answered.

Not trying to give you a lot of homework here, but just to let you know what's available.  It's great to have you here! :)

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics