Author Topic: Dressforms / Dummy  (Read 99484 times)

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
Re: Dressforms
« Reply #280 on: December 09, 2009, 02:42:10 AM »
Thank you mauigirl, but really I printed out all the advice from here and went at it slowly.   All the info you need is in this thread.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #281 on: December 09, 2009, 03:03:18 AM »
Bobbie, I emailed Fabulous Fit  about the Celebrity pricing of their Pro Maxima 3/4 form and got this email on Monday

Hi Kathryn,

Yes, we have a Pro Maxima size 4 in stock.

The Christmas sale $337 Reg. $397.

If you want this form, please call us today to place

your order at 800-853-9644 as I only have one left.

If you want me to hold it until you call, let me know,

but lease call today as the sale will end on December 10th

and I cannot hold forms for more than a few hours.

When you call, please tell the representative that we

are holding a form for you, if you decide to place your order.

Best regards,

Max

HTH,
Kathryn

Offline BobbieK

« Reply #282 on: December 09, 2009, 05:36:58 PM »
Thanks Kathryn,

That sounds about what I ended up getting(somewhat of a discount)....I didn't get the 3/4 but the reg. since my crotch is weird,ha!! .. I

Can't wait to get it and start creating or at least fitting! Bobbie

Offline Alice in bama

« Reply #283 on: December 21, 2009, 03:55:27 AM »
The bad news is that I had extensive foot surgery Monday. 

The great news is that I made friends with the woman who does the casts...and she is going to come to my house to make a body cast for me!  I will, of course, buy the supplies, but what a treat is that!

wow Lynda that such a great Ideal how did it work out let me know please
SEWING FOR FUN

Offline LyndaC

« Reply #284 on: December 22, 2009, 12:51:20 AM »
I am still in the process of purchasing the webbing.   It seems I cannot buy it through the hospital, so they have asked their supplier to contact me.   But he hasn't.  I know Christmas slows down life, so I can wait.

I was told the suppliers and reps have trunk loads of it as samples, and would probably give me that small a quantity, but I don't know a rep.  Do any of you?

Offline yael26

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #285 on: December 27, 2009, 07:07:24 PM »
Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum and am desperately looking for a commercial dress form with no success.
I am interested in something solid on the inside - similar to the ones made by fabulous fit, PGM or roxy dress forms but with a more realistic fit for my clients:
35" bust size.
27" waist.
37" hips
and about 16" neck to back waist length. I guess this would generally be a size 8 but with size 6 bust size in most of these companies I mentioned.
I think the closest I can get is a size 6" in either PGM, roxy or fabulous fit.

My question is - has anyone tried any of these dress forms and can give some feedback on which would suit my needs. I bought one a few years ago for over $1000 CAD! but I am completely disappointed with it. I generally find that the bust size is too big (I have a size 10).
I don't really like the expandable type like Dritz cause I find the shape unrealistic and the softer ones don't really suit my needs.

Any advice or feedback you may have would be much appreciated.
Rachel.

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #286 on: December 27, 2009, 07:11:48 PM »
Here is an earlier post by fzxdoc (Kathryn) on this thread.

She knows quite a bit about this.  Maybe somebody else can find her tutorial on this?

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,140.msg136315/topicseen.html#msg136315
"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

http://sewstashwazzup.blogspot.com/

Offline Alice in bama

« Reply #287 on: December 28, 2009, 10:26:29 PM »
I am still in the process of purchasing the webbing.   It seems I cannot buy it through the hospital, so they have asked their supplier to contact me.   But he hasn't.  I know Christmas slows down life, so I can wait.

I was told the suppliers and reps have trunk loads of it as samples, and would probably give me that small a quantity, but I don't know a rep.  Do any of you?

Have you tried to go on line to some of the medical supply stores
SEWING FOR FUN

Offline Terri

• http://picasaweb.google.com.au/terrikau
  • Terri in Townsville NQ
    • Some of my pics of stuff!
« Reply #288 on: December 30, 2009, 10:27:30 PM »
Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum and am desperately looking for a commercial dress form with no success.
Rachel.

Hi Rachel,
I bought myself a shop display mannequin and intend to pad and cover it. simialr to this one. http://www.metrodisplay.com.au/view.asp?class=fabric&Id=480  . i got mine from ebay, several years ago. i was looking for one with the nice wooden top and stand, so that it would be 'pretty'. i haven't covered it yet, however, am on holidays until the end of january, so i intend to do it int he coming weeks.
the mannequin i have is much smaller than me (no where as large as the measurements given in the linked page) so it will just be a matter of padding and adding to fit my size/shape.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:29:06 PM by Terri »
Never wear anything that panics the cat

Offline LyndaC

« Reply #289 on: January 01, 2010, 06:38:53 PM »
Yes, Alice, I tried the online stores first.   They do not want to sell to individuals.  It appears some people use the webbing for sadistic purposes.

Offline M and M

• M&M's Projects
« Reply #290 on: January 10, 2010, 12:17:21 AM »
Hi,

Could someone explain functions of collapsible shoulders?
Is it a useful feature?

After many years without a dressform, I am about to take a plunge.

Thank you!

M and M

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #291 on: January 10, 2010, 03:36:13 AM »
How nice to seee you posting here, M and M!  I've missed you! And I've missed seeing your amazing knitting and sewing projects.

I purchased a new dressform last year with collapsible shoulders but have yet to pad it out and use it. I bought it because there are some things that I make that I can't fit past the shoulders of my Fabulous Fit dressform--notoriously dresses with side zippers and necklines that won't get past the hips either, if I try to get it on the form from the bottom up.  

If you can get a form that allows you to stick pins directly into it, extends from neck to upper thigh, AND has collapsible shoulders, you will have found the holy grail of dressforms, IMHO.

Kathryn

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #292 on: January 10, 2010, 06:56:54 PM »
First need to apoplogize for cross post.  On the "what am I wearing" topic  someone made the comment that they had lowered the neckline but didn't intend for it to be this low.  I responed with how I use my dress form ".. .  When I was fitting the cover, I cut the neckline to jewel length and then marked the lowest point at which I want a neckline.  I've got just a small safety pin in the dressform now so that I can "feel" the neckline if I can't see the makr.  I have in the past cut necklines too low and then had to figure out a way to bring the neckline up.  This helps me keep from making that mistakes.  "

I think it is a very good use of a dressform and I haven't seen it mentioned before.

Offline LyndaC

« Reply #293 on: January 10, 2010, 09:41:51 PM »
My supplier came through with cases of fiberglas webbing!  I am hoping my boot/cast will come off or be replaced with a smaller version Tuesday, so I will then be cleared to have my body cast made.  I intend to ask her to make it ultra tight, knowing that it will have to be larger than I if it is made on top of me.

I am still thinking on ways to make it pinnable.  Cover with a thick socking material?  Actually, my last one I didn't need so much for the pinning as for the proportions and design.   I can see that pinnable would be desirable.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: January 10, 2010, 10:24:31 PM »
Pinnable is essential to me, Lynda. But then I've become spoiled with a pinnable form. Just today I was draping a fabric on my form to see if a certain style would work for it, and it was nice to just anchor the fabric directly to the form with a few straight pins.

Plus, when pin-fitting a pattern to a dressform, it's nice to be able to poke some pins straight in to anchor the pattern while you fiddle with it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Kathryn

Offline M and M

• M&M's Projects
« Reply #295 on: January 11, 2010, 01:40:26 AM »
Thank you, Kathryn, for your information.   Very helpful.

M and M

Offline Karen Roth

« Reply #296 on: January 11, 2010, 02:39:08 AM »
First need to apoplogize for cross post.  On the "what am I wearing" topic  someone made the comment that they had lowered the neckline but didn't intend for it to be this low.  I responed with how I use my dress form ".. .  When I was fitting the cover, I cut the neckline to jewel length and then marked the lowest point at which I want a neckline.  I've got just a small safety pin in the dressform now so that I can "feel" the neckline if I can't see the makr.  I have in the past cut necklines too low and then had to figure out a way to bring the neckline up.  This helps me keep from making that mistakes.  "

I think it is a very good use of a dressform and I haven't seen it mentioned before.

Oh that was me.  I'll paste below my reply re: dressform to keep it in the right topic.  And perhaps I misspoke, I didn't mean I didn't intend it to be as low as it turned out - just the opposite, wanted it lower  :o (nothing to fall out...  :()

<<Several years ago I invested in a My Twin form.  After about 5 yrs. of steadily gaining weight I figured ok, this is middle age, let's just face it.  Made lots of cute clothes that fit me as I was.  Got the dress form.  It was like a formula for dieting success with a couple of other lightbulbs that came on and I dropped several sizes.  So now ScareyMary's claim to fame is modeling football and hockey jerseys for a friend's fundraiser auctions for a school (how handy that I'm not even a B cup?   ).   I'm not sure if she'd be useful for something like this or not, the area that's hardes to fit (back just behind bottom of armpit where I'm broad) was never right anyway, the way it's cut (think Italian bust statue with arms cut off) was way larger than I somehow, maybe to fill in what's there so I don't know if that might pull fabric back... I guess if I just pinned at shoulder point though that would work for looking at depth of neckline huh.  I brought her out to try and create the sheer piece to fill in bare back for pattern for suit jacket I was making for DS's wedding and DD even asked why I was using her since our sizes are so different. 

I do also think though that since the neckline is elasticized it was harder to estimate how much to take it down yet also know how much would be pulled back up with elastic, I really loosened elastic to leave it lower.  I just don't like too much foof i.e. the ruffle around my upper chest/clavicle.  Probably on a flat neckline it would have been much easier, do that on other >>
Karen

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #297 on: January 11, 2010, 04:35:39 AM »

Oh that was me.  I'll paste below my reply re: dressform to keep it in the right topic.  And perhaps I misspoke, I didn't mean I didn't intend it to be as low as it turned out - just the opposite, wanted it lower  :o (nothing to fall out...  :()

<<Several years ago I invested in a My Twin form.  After about 5 yrs. of steadily gaining weight I figured ok, this is middle age, let's just face it.  Made lots of cute clothes that fit me as I was.  Got the dress form.  It was like a formula for dieting success with a couple of other lightbulbs that came on and I dropped several sizes.  So now ScareyMary's claim to fame is modeling football and hockey jerseys for a friend's fundraiser auctions for a school (how handy that I'm not even a B cup?   ).   I'm not sure if she'd be useful for something like this or not, the area that's hardes to fit (back just behind bottom of armpit where I'm broad) was never right anyway, the way it's cut (think Italian bust statue with arms cut off) was way larger than I somehow, maybe to fill in what's there so I don't know if that might pull fabric back... I guess if I just pinned at shoulder point though that would work for looking at depth of neckline huh.  I brought her out to try and create the sheer piece to fill in bare back for pattern for suit jacket I was making for DS's wedding and DD even asked why I was using her since our sizes are so different. 

I do also think though that since the neckline is elasticized it was harder to estimate how much to take it down yet also know how much would be pulled back up with elastic, I really loosened elastic to leave it lower.  I just don't like too much foof i.e. the ruffle around my upper chest/clavicle.  Probably on a flat neckline it would have been much easier, do that on other >>

And given the addition of the elastic, it still would have been hard to judge even on a close fitting double.  But anyway,  I still like my dressform to help me in this area.  Also confess that this is my 3rd.  I had one form that I bought in 1966.  Did a duct-tape double in about 1988.  This one last year.  My figure has changed and the earlier dress forms were not helpful with the current body, at least not to me.  Maybe a more talented or knowledgeable person would  have done better.  But I need the dressform to at least approximate the current flesh-form.   Love your comments.

PS didn't want to single you out.  I'm actually pleased and flattered that you took the time to acknowledge that you were the other half in that conversation.

Offline Angela Jane

« Reply #298 on: March 18, 2010, 07:38:12 PM »
Hi Ladies,
After much deliberation (which was really helped by the comments here thank you so much), Santa brought me a Uniquely You dressform.

So far the fitting is going quite well, apart from a huge disaster in the bust area, and I have two questions:

Do I have to use an electric carving knife to cut this?  Would a saw work?  I am thinking I may have to trim off a little of the foam under the bust.

Does the cover come all the way down to the bottom of the foam?  Mine currently stops 2" short, resulting in what my husband calls an upside down muffin top.- not pretty!

Thank you.

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #299 on: March 19, 2010, 12:15:11 AM »
Angela Jane

A serrated bread knife is probably better than a saw, honestly, if you have to remove some of the foam rubber  in the bosom area. And the cover SHOULD come down to the bottom of the form, in fact, the drawstring at the bottom should snug the cover round the bottom edge, so a little bit longer than the form.

Do you have help fitting the cover? It really needs to be skin tight on you for the best result.

Offline ZackBologna

• Strange but original :]
« Reply #300 on: March 21, 2010, 04:46:15 AM »
I bought a male dress form on ebay from a dealer for a relatively good price, but my only problem is i don't really know how to use it, especially for men! haha I don't know what the style lines should be, and how much they differ from a female dress form. so...

1). Where do the style lines go?
2). How so I drape men's clothes?
3). How do you sew once you do drape? (a little ahead of myself haha)
"If you've got nothing to die for, what have you to live for? "

Offline ZackBologna

« Reply #301 on: March 21, 2010, 04:48:37 AM »
I bought a male dress form on ebay from a dealer for a relatively good price, but my only problem is i don't really know how to use it, especially for men! haha I don't know what the style lines should be, and how much they differ from a female dress form. so...

P.S. How do you pad it to fit?

Offline ZackBologna

« Reply #302 on: March 21, 2010, 09:00:43 AM »

P.S. How do you pad it to fit?

P.S.S. ACtually, and this may sound really cheap or whatever, I had a friend tape me up, from my thighs to my neck, (cutting off at the arms) with masking tape (duct take is recommended) and then I had my friend cut me out of it from the back. And Once i put it back together and stuffed it, I have an EXACT replica of me! I measured and we're pretty much identical, so I think this will come in really handy for those of you who are having a really hard time fitting yourselves to your dress form. Not to mention it was a LOT of fun, we had a lot of laughs in the process. Just a suggestion. Hopefully it works.... Here is how it has turned out, i put a Tshirt over it so it doesnt look too bad
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac315/guydzine2010/IMG_4619.jpg

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #303 on: March 21, 2010, 11:37:56 AM »
It looks as though you have a good working form for fitting your shirts and jackets, Zack(guydzine2010).  The masking tape will probably dry out over time but you could always spend a fun day making another one when that happens.

Kathryn
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:31:58 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline LyndaC

« Reply #304 on: March 24, 2010, 03:35:02 PM »
I am so glad your tape form worked out so well!   How did you get around the extra inches that the physical tape adds to your size?

Offline ZackBologna

« Reply #305 on: March 27, 2010, 01:28:14 AM »
well actually the tape forced me to suck it in a bit because i was wrapping it a little tight haha. So it actually looks like a more fit me. I just padded my actual dress form with some fiberfill and lemme tell you, it wasn't too flattering.. But now i know what it's like to hug myself i guess.... lol

I guess it's just one of those things one must deal with to be accurate

Offline Angela Jane

« Reply #306 on: March 28, 2010, 07:39:18 PM »
Thank you Betsy V for your comments about the uniquely you dressform- I had to add additional fabric and drawstring to the bottom of mine, cause no way was the cover going to get all the way down to the bottom of the foam.
But she is now all finished and ready to go. I had to take the bread knife to the bottom of her arms, which was a little strange, to get a high bust measurement anywhere near mine.  So I'm glad I went with this type rather than the less adjustable ones.

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #307 on: July 06, 2011, 08:32:05 AM »
Has anyone read the Fabulous Fit ebook:

fabfitebook

It seems to be about how to do fitting using a dress form. It's on sale for $14.00

Their dress forms and fitting pads are also on sale.

Mods, I didn't know if this should be in the review section or not...move as needed.

Offline artistwhosews

• Hellenne Vermillion
« Reply #308 on: November 15, 2011, 10:02:38 PM »
Does anyone know why the maroon pgm dressform is cheaper? What's different?

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/9111664-AA.shtml?utm_source=november_2011&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

Hellenne

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #309 on: November 16, 2011, 02:22:57 AM »
Hellene the only obvious differences to me were:
maroon vs natural color (the natural is 100% linen; maroon unnamed)
maroon form is height-adjustable by hand; natural is height-adjustable by a foot pedal
maroon is not designated "industry", just ladies' dress form

There appeared to be fewer sizes available in the maroon-covered one.

Offline becksnyc

« Reply #310 on: November 18, 2011, 02:07:17 AM »

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #311 on: November 18, 2011, 08:38:52 AM »
I'm not sure I'd want it in mass production, becks!
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline Frammajoy

Dress Form
« Reply #312 on: February 16, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »
I am not sure if this is where I should tell you about my new Fabulous Fit Dress Form or not.  I just got her two days ago, and I am still trying to figure out what all to do with her.  I am keeping a "diary" of sorts on my blog if anyone would like to see it.  I am calling her "Marsha" because she looks like a giant marshmallow. 

I am waiting for the rest of her parts to arrive.  I was not able to find any information on the style I have purchased, so I thought someone else may be interested in a dress form with arms and legs.  If I get confirmation that this is the right place to post, I will post some pictures.

Hugs, Joy

Offline pinemeadows

Re: Dress Form
« Reply #313 on: February 17, 2012, 12:38:13 PM »
I am anxious to see how the padding/fluffing goes - saw on your blog where you did start some of this.

I want your sewing room tho - and if Marsha happens to be in it - well, so it goes! ;)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
Re: Dress Form
« Reply #314 on: February 20, 2012, 02:53:23 AM »
I have a Fabulous Fit dressform and absolutely love it, Joy. You're going to be thrilled when you get it all padded out to exactly mimic your shape and begin using it. You'll never have to sew in your underwear again! ;D That's what happened to me, anyway. Have fun with your new toy.

Kathryn

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics