Author Topic: Dressforms / Dummy  (Read 99463 times)

JenSews

Dressforms / Dummy
« on: May 02, 2006, 02:19:16 AM »
I have a My Double Dritz dressform that I've nearly got fit to my size, except her bust is too large.  She has a C/D cup and I am a A/B cup.  I am rather tall 5'11" and am on the lower end of her size adjustment in the hips/waist, but really past the upper end of her back torso length.  I've padded the shoulders and have gotten her quite close to my measurements except for her boobs.  Has anyone ever tried to give a dressform a small bust adjustment?  I looked on the inside and she is plastic covered in a fabric.  Maybe a slash& squish?  I'd really hate to mutilate her, but I'd like to do something to make her look more like me.  The clothes look much better on her filled out bust, but I'd rather make them look good on me!

I posted this on Sewing World this afternoon, but now it won't let me get to the site.  :( 

Any suggestions?  I'd like to try to fix her before spending $$$ on a custom form or hours on a duct tape double.  I'm SOOOOO close!

Thanks! Jennifer

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
Re: Dressforms
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 02:36:33 PM »
Jennifer, I've never "mutilated" a dressform like that, so I can't offer any advice.  What I can say, though, is that I love my dressforms (3 of them, for myself and DDs) wearing one of my well-fitting bras, and stuffed accordingly.  That way, I can use the bra strap adjustment to set just the correct distance from shoulder to bust apex, and match other subtle measurements as well. You can even allow for cleavage or some (dare I say it) back fat (if necessary) with a layer of fiberfill, if you pull a bodysuit or stretchy slip over the whole torso when done.

So, if it were me, which it isn't, I'd just saw off part of those dressform breasts and add a well-stuffed, well-fitting bra.

JenSews

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 05:40:01 PM »
I was thinking about doing just that....sawing her off.  I was trying to figure out some other brilliant reduction way, but I think there just isn't any "pretty" way to do it.  I guess it really isn't too much of a loss if I overdo it though, I still would have to buy a new one, which I am seriously considering.  Thanks.

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 06:21:29 PM »
I don't know if your form is sort of hard or if it's foam.  If it's foam, I'd saw it off, but I wonder if the hard plastic might be difficult to saw?  Maybe with a really fine saw, and someone with sawing experience.  I wonder if you couldn't sort of "smash" the breast projections and then fill the area with padding in one of your bras.  It might be easier to work with than a hole in the form.  Just a thought, with no expertise behind it! :D

JenSews

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 05:30:51 AM »
She's the standard adjustable plastic form...not foam.  I'm working on a way to form a new chestplate, since they really are just screwed on.  I was considering buying the smaller size of my same dressform on eBay (if I can get it cheap!) and switching the chestplates.  I've also found a plastic compound called Shapelock that I may try to form my own chestplate.  It is little plastic pellets that melt/soften in hot water, then you can form them into something and they cool quite hard.  Look here: http://www.shapelock.com/page2.html

My kids have some in one of their art kits.  I've ordered a tub of the pellets and will post what I come up with.  I'm not sure it will work, but I will try anyway.  It is much more fun than housework! And if it doesn't work, I can make plastic toys with it or something!  ;D

Offline sewnmachine

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 11:14:02 PM »
Do any of you that have dress form have any recommendations as to what you like or dislike about yours?  I've been wanting one (needing one) and I can't decide between the new Dritz My Double DELUXE (it will fit pants) and the Uniquely You foam model.  I'm sort of leaning toward the foam only because it is squishy and might be more realistic.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate them.
 Thanks.
A gooddog, a sewing machine and an old guitar..........

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 01:18:14 AM »
I wish I could remember what kind of dressform this is, but I remember the day my mother got it in the early 70's. This thing is foam and came with a canvas shell you fit to yourself and then zipped onto the foam form. At the time, Mom & I were close enough to the same size and shape, we didn't need an adjustable one. She was really a sight before we wrestled that shell on her  :o I never before nor since ever saw anyone even remotely similar to those proportions! We must have spent more time giggling than fitting and wrestling!

I still have the dress form, minus the shell (she kept her shape after so many years zipped up!). Mom mostly makes fancy children's clothes these days or the occasional skirt for herself. Now, the only thing I don't like about her is that the foam is disintegrating and leaves crumbs on garments or just drops them to the floor. I am considering buying a length of cotton jersey to cover the neck and shoulder caps where the foam is exposed. I have an old full slip and a discarded t-shirt on her.

I am quite sure this type is still available. I like that I can stick pins in her, and because she is squishy, it's easy to pull things over her "head". It would only be useful if the form is only for you, as it isn't easily adjustable between two (or more) differently-shaped people.

This is the only dress form I ever used, so I am biased in her favor! ;D

BetsyV

Offline sewnmachine

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 01:24:13 AM »
Betsy - That sounds like the Uniquely You dress form - made out of foam rubber. Yes, it is still available, and that is one I'm considering.  When you say a canvas shell you fit onto yourself - how is that done?  Do you sew it? or pull strings or something?

Offline BetsyV

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 01:46:50 AM »
You zip the baggy shell onto yourself inside out (the zipper is reverisble I think) and there are lines to bring together to make darts all over the place. You need help to do this. Then baste, check the fit, make any additional adjustments, sew the darts up and zip the shell onto the foam form. This takes help too - she is really a handfull when brand new.

She is not, therefore, easily adjustable to another person. Also, you could probably make her smaller, but I am telling you, that shell has been off my form for at least 10 years now and she hasn't expanded half an inch in any direction to my eye. So it would be hard to make her bigger - you might have to stuff the altered shell.

Oh, and remember, this was 1970 or 1 or 2 when Mom & I got this form. The alterations to the shell were all sewn. I have no idea if it is the same today.

Offline sewnmachine

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 11:59:15 AM »
 :)  Thank you !!  That does it! I'm getting the Uniquely You.  I really like the idea of self fitting like that. And it is probably done about the same way today, because it is advertised as being adjustabe (as in re-fitting and re-sewing).  Allbrands has them for $129 plus shipping, so I think I'll go for it!

Betsy, thanks again

JenSews

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 10:31:39 PM »
Well, I've given up on a SBA adjustment on my Dritz My Double and just got the smaller size.  It works WAY better to just pad it out.  I just wish I had done this years ago!!!  Except the bigger one was GREAT when I was nursing. :)  I was worried about the height/torso length on the smaller one, but I think it is turning out just fine.  I was also considering a Uniquely You.  I may decide to go that route too.  I'm interested in the comparisons though.  I'll work with what I have for awhile and see how it goes!

jen

Offline sewnmachine

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 12:19:41 AM »
OH MY GOSH!!!  SO THIS IS WHAT I REALLY LOOK LIKE??????

I ended up ordering the Dritz My Double Deluxe - because you can fit pants on it also.  It came within 2 days of ordering it from Joannes online.  I got it all set up - and to my horror I had re-created a body double.  When did I get this fat? I wish I could call it fluffy, ...... but it's just plain FAT!?!   I'm ok with the size 14 jeans........but the paunch around the middle surely doesn't belong to me ?

I've put my Double Deluxe Frankenstein in my sewing room closet, and God willing the next time I look she will have lost about 20 pounds!

JenSews

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 12:22:59 AM »
sewnmachine...did you not go for the Uniquely You then?  What made you change your mind?

Jen

Offline sewnmachine

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 07:12:12 PM »
Jen - I had originally wanted the my double "deluxe" because you could fit pants on it also. But I thought it was sold out - I got an email from Joanns, that there was one in stock - so I went ahead and ordered it.  The dress form is fantastic! - Unfortunately seeing my "body double" was somewhat of a shock.  I probably would have looked even worse in the Uniquely You form - stuffed foam rubber is not my best look  ;D

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 10:28:15 PM »
JenSews, I'm glad to hear that padding out the smaller dressform proved to be the way to go for you.  I have felt for a very long time that that was the best way to make a form look like myself. 

Sewnmachine, I laughed out loud at your wish that the dressform would lose some weight while in the closet.  Perhaps I could lose some too, if I lock myself in a closet, away from the chocolate ;D.

Offline Susinok

• Susinok
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 12:31:11 AM »
My brand new dressform is on it's way to me now! I should get it this coming week. Once it's here the first thing I'll do with it is alter my basted together princess seamed dress. I have it haning in stasis until I can fit it on that form.

I also got the Dritz Double Deluxe form that can be used for pants. I've never used one for sewing and I always have wanted one! My birthday is coming up so that's what I asked for! Thank you DH.

Susan

JenSews

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 01:09:05 AM »
Well, I thought I got the dressform to look like me until I had my husband take pictures of me in a leotard.  :o  I've got a bit to work to do.  First, I'm starting by getting myself some new bras!  My prominent chest bone sticks out farther than my small droopy chest.  You know, things look a little different looking down vs. a side pic.  LOL  I know the girls are a bit saggy after nursing 5 babies, but this was a sorry sight (side view) to see for myself.  However, it could explain why all my blouses are a little (lot) loose in the chest now. 

I've noticed a bit of sway back too that I'm having trouble duplicating on the dressform.  Any ideas?  I'll keep trying stuff.  Something ought to work. 

I also ended up getting a Uniquely You dressform (used).  I'm going to try fitting the cover over this weekend.  The only part of the form that is small is the hips by about 2 inches, so I figured I could pad that out quite a bit with batting and/or fleece before I put the cover on.  It may or may not work, but it was worth a try in my book.

Jennifer

Offline Susinok

• Susinok
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 08:25:28 PM »
I'll have to do a swayback adjustment too. I think if you dail the waist slightly smaller and then pad the sides and front to comensate to your actual measurements, that may do the trick. That's what I'll be trying. I have a sway back and a marsupial pouch, so no wondering where my extra padding goes! Heh.

Sara

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 02:33:59 AM »
Hello, I would like to buy a dressform and am unsure about what to get.  I have been making a lot of pants but have started to make dresses and shirts too.  The thing is, I would like to get the Dritz My Double deluxe (so that I can use it for pants) but the small one is too big.  Is there any way of making them smaller?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sara 

Offline Susinok

• Susinok
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 02:45:50 AM »
Some dressforms come in a petite size. Check to see if double deluxe comes in Petite, those measurements are even smaller.

Susan

Sara

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 03:13:33 AM »
Thanks, I don't think the double delux comes in the petite.  The Dritz double does but the leg is down the middle, can this be used in making pants?

Sara  :)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 05:44:08 AM »
Sara, it's hard to get pants to fit over the center pole design type of dressform, unless the pants leg and hip area are wide. 

I don't know of any way of making the My Double Deluxe form any smaller.  You may have to investigate other forms that come in smaller sizes, with the support post offset so you put pants onto it.  I don't know about any Dritz forms with the pant option besides My Double Deluxe.  Fabulous fit has forms that allow pants fitting.  See them at www.fabulousfit.com

You could also buy the My Double form in the petite size and then modify it to hang from a hook so you could pull out the center pole when you need to fit pants onto it.  Just a thought.

HTH,
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 05:51:44 AM by fzxdoc »

Sara

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 12:12:25 PM »
Thanks thats really helpful, I'll check them out.

Sara

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2006, 12:52:08 AM »
Do you know if the centre pole Dritz My Double comes out completely so that there is nothing sticking out?  If so I think I might do as Kathryn suggested and hang the dressform up when making pants.

Sara  :) 

Offline Natasha J

• TERRIER TAMER
    • SIAMESE RESCUE
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 03:34:43 PM »
This is my dream form.  But since I am limiting my garment making to "emergency" only it is hardly worth it.  By the way the pants version hangs from a wall bracket or stand.  http://www.mytwindressforms.com/custom.htm
SPAY NEUTER ADOPT    www.siameserescue.org  SIAMESE RESCUE

Offline Natasha J

• TERRIER TAMER
    • SIAMESE RESCUE
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »
The heat must have melted my brain.  I started the post to give this link thinking there may be some information in there you could use to make your form bigger or smaller.  http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00002.asp

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 08:31:26 PM »
Natasha,  I think that's my dream form too! :o 

Has anyone had experience with their workshops and what it would cost for a guild, for example, to bring them in for one?

Offline Natasha J

• TERRIER TAMER
    • SIAMESE RESCUE
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 02:35:16 PM »
Our Pattern Master Boutique group "thought about it" but that is as far as we got.  There wasn't all that much interest.  Once I shed this weight and know that I can keep it off I may just treat myself to a trip to California!  I'm sure I could convince my husband it was a vacation and then disappear for a day.       

Offline LindaL

• Danvillegirl Sewing Diary
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 01:01:16 AM »
I ordered a new dress form, Uniquely You.  This is a foam dress form.  You also receive a cotton body suit that you fit by wearing over your under garments and adjusting the fit.  Once this is done, you put the body cover over the form and make final tweaks so that the foam form is based on your body form.  I don't think I could say that fast five times, I just hope when you read this, it will make sense.

Anywho-I would like to "talk" with others who have this dress form.  I think some of the fitting can be done by myself.  However, I think it will help to have someone help me fit it.  I would like your feedback on pluses as well as minuses with this form.  I have had two hard type dress forms that really are not my form at all.

Thanks for responding.

Edited to include other dressform discussions
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 12:17:47 AM by fzxdoc »
"Change is the only constant thing in life"
http://danvillegirl.blogspot.com

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 02:00:46 PM »
Linda ~ I have this dress form and I know you need someone else to help you with fitting the cover for the form.  One ~ someone else is much more objective about your body than you are and will fit your shape exactly as it is and not let you give up on the process!  I had Colleen Jones fit mine and I am glad that I did because I don't think I would have completed the process without her or been as accurate.

Two ~ it takes several tries to get the fitting cover to be an exact match. 

Three ~ check the shoulder width on the form because on my form the shoulder width is actually larger than my shoulders and I have been to lazy to go back and do something about it. 

After all of that effort, I barely use my form.  I find that I am better with flat pattern measurements done before cutting the pattern out.

Hopefully someone else will have more information to offer!

Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline judith

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2006, 07:42:14 PM »
Oh dear, I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help because I, too, hardly ever use my form. Well, to be truthful, I use it pretty much only to hang skirts/dresses before hemming and sometimes to "see" what an embellishment or neckline will look like.

I use pattern drafting software (My Pattern Designer), so fit isn't a big issue to me anymore.

I found that the uniquely you did give me a form that is closer to me than the dritz that I mounted it on, but it's still not quite exact. I did mine myself (using my measurement chart from my pattern drafting software), and I do think that it's a step up from the dritz form, it's just not quite "exact".

It's a little frustrating moving the inserts around, but be patient and put on some music. Also, don't forget that you do have some options for tweaking by adjusting the original dress form - I set mine to close to my measurements first, then did my thing with the uniquely you padding, then reached up inside and did some tweaking with the dials on my dritz to fine tue. It worked well.

One major improvement is the bust & midriff - much closer to what I am.

It took me a while to shift the pieces to get close to my figure, but all in all, it can be done
by yourself if you have a good set of measurements to start with.

I, too, hope that someone who uses theirs will chime in
Most people are as happy as they allow themselves to be. (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline LindaL

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2006, 01:27:51 AM »
Carolyn and Judith-thank you both for your feedback. :)

Judith-I use Pattern Master Boutique and have measurements pretty close to exact.  I still tweak fit even with patterns drafted to my measurements.  That will aid somewhat in the process.

I have re-read the instructions several times and think there are some parts I can do myself but can see the need to get a more objective eye with this.  Also when you are looking down or pinning on yourself I think I will get some distortion.  I am soliciting the support of some of my ASG friends to assist me in the cover fitting.

I outgrew my first Dritz dress form which I have had for 15 years or more.  The second one I purchased was really off in some areas and just right in other parts, but was so boxy looking overall.  I think the foam form is more of what I wanted and I think it will be an improvement over what I currently have.

Carolyn, I have never gotten great fit with flat pattern measuring.  I think I need more instruction with that method and perhaps more practice.  I  really do well with pinfitting the patterns on me using techniques from FFRP.  We all have some method we are comfortable with.

Again thank you both for chiming in with your comments.  I will keep you posted.

Offline Towanda

• Baltimore , Maryland
    • Life is sew sew good
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2006, 02:49:05 AM »
I used my PMB sloper as a cover for the dressform. I put a bra on her and then stuffed the sloper with fiberfill including the sleeves until it matched my shape. I used pinstripe tape from the auto store to mark my landmarks. Then used thin braided elastic cord to mark the shoulder seams. The reason for the cord is that I could slide in shoulder pads and the elastic would hold them in place. I found a IV pole at work and mounted the dressform on it for stability and also to raise the dressform to my height. The next thing on the agenda is to figure out a way to screw the skirt hem marker to the pole base. I do use the dressform but not as much as I should. It will get more use in sewing the fall/winter wardrobe.
http://lifeissewsewgood.blogspot.com/
Happiness is an endless fabric budget

Offline BetsyV

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2006, 03:27:18 AM »
Linda

I think the Uniquely You is the one my mother bought for us to use in the early 70's. I had posted some info here on the Dressforms - SBA thread a few months ago.

Summary - she was a handful and you need help not only to get the cover to fit YOU, as Carolyn says, but to get the cover ON HER, too.

I don't really use her to fit precisely, but even after years with the cover off, her bust point matches mine in distance from the shoulder and her back length is the same. I think my waist is smaller than hers - she has expanded a little bit. I do use her to look at something half-finished to see where it's going, and for pinning things I want hanging when I do that.

Offline LindaL

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2006, 11:56:04 AM »
Thanks for additional information.  Great idea on PMB sloper.  Since I have wanted this form for over a year or more I am going to make this work.  I think I will be able to get a sewing buddy helper soon from my ASG group.  Who knows this could end up being a sewing program.

Thanks ya'll!!! ;)

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics