Author Topic: Interesting knit top styles  (Read 73181 times)

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
Interesting knit top styles
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:04:20 PM »
I really like the quality knit tops in the mid/high end RTW stores, and am able to sometimes pick up viscose knits (rayon) which I could use in the same sorts of styles. I have a serger and a coverhem machine, and yet I seem to not have access to the same range of interesting knit top patterns as the RTW designs. Sadly I am not clever enough to work out how to emulate these designs myself.

I wear a lot of the knit tops I make, and are a way of cheering up my frankly boring suits so I can see its worth while getting some more interesting top patterns. I probably do need a gallop though my existing large pattern stash to see what I can find.

Here are some examples of the sort of thing I mean. (all from http://www.ccfashion.co.uk/fcp/categorylist/dept/t-shirts?resetFilters=true)

This top reminds me of something from Burda magazine I am sure, and has the mock cami added already which would help address the Burda neckline issues.
It wasn't in the 5 or 6 issues I checked in last night, does anyone recognise it from the last year or two?
My Burdas are not all unpacked yet. (apparently it is in Burda - 10/2007 pattern 115 not sure I was subscribing then)

This one seems to be a standard tee with a slightly cowled neckline which is then secured off to one side with a booch or similar. So that would be pretty easy to emulate. The brooch could even be pinned on (depending on the weight) and removed for laundering.

This one is a standard tee other than the seamed front. So I could probably recreate this one by making a full front pattern for a favourite tee and then cutting it up, adding the seam allowances back onto resulting pieces with stripe lines, then just sew up a the front, trim to fit the original front again and make up as normal. Could be a great way to use up strange shaped bits left from another project!

This is a knot front, only with the knot in a different place. This would require some drafting and messing about, but I have several knit knit top patterns already which could be a conceptual starting point.

This one is a fairly standard empire line pattern with some additional bodice overlays. Again would need a BIT of FIDDLING but I think could be done.

I am planning a challenge to make one or all of these 5 tops, anyone else interested in sewing along or seeing the results?
It might be a good way of getting my sewing creative juices flowing again.

Offline Allea

Re: Interesting knit top styles
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »
Ruthie, I will join you.  Actually, after reading your blog, I had sketched out the last one you showed!  I love all of them, and will see if I am up to the challenge.  Thanks for posting this!

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:35:42 PM »
:-) oh good! Its even more fun when sewing with other people.

I found a taped up box labelled Burda magazines, and am about to open it and see what i can find.
The Burda mags often have pieces which are still wearable several years later.

Offline Allea

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 09:43:20 PM »
I will go through mine as well, and see if I can come up with a few jumping off points.  This should be fun!

Offline izzie

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 09:51:06 PM »
Hi Ruthie- These are all great tops, I especially like the striped ones.  There is indeed a Burda Magazine pattern like the first top,
it is from the April 2008 issue, #116 and #117.  It is a dress pattern that could easily be made into a top and the sleeves are cap instead of short.
I've made the dress and it is a great pattern.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:53:19 PM by izzie »

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 10:05:18 PM »
I've had a happy hour going through the box of Burdas and finding all sorts of interesting ideas, including some which could work for these ideas, as well as some random but thought provoking ideas.

We'll have to see what I can rustle up......

I am inspired if nothing else.

Online Diane P.

• outside Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 11:19:41 PM »
How cute are those tops! It will be interesting to follow on and might even take up the challenge. Got to go through the stash first to see if I have anything that would work. Thanks for the inspiration.

Offline andib

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 01:18:20 AM »
I love the tops you have posted.  I was going to start a similar topic(thanks for doing so Ruthie), but I decided that my problem is that I don't shop too much to see what interesting things are out there, but I need some new ideas for knits.  I am getting very boring!

When all the school year stuff is finished I may have a go at one or two of these.  I would love to know where people go for RTW inspiration.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 02:41:35 AM »
I like this challenge.  Any idea as to how to proceed?  i.e. do we pick one and all work on that or each take a different top?  I don't have very many old Burda's and definitely not the one mentioned. I'd need some other reference to work this out.

Offline Jane S

• Jane Sews and Sews
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 03:14:03 AM »
All of these tops are really cute Ruthie.  I may join you on your challange.

Jane

Offline Elona

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 04:32:39 AM »
There is an adult Farbenmix tee, the U-Boot-Shirt Bertina, that is divided into sections where patterns or stripes can be mixed:

http://www.farbenmix.de/en/bertina-designbeispiele.html

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 06:48:35 AM »
My initial thoughts had been just to challenge myself, but I would love for it to be a wider challenge and for people to sew along, hence the thread.

The challenge as I see it, would be to sew a knit top with styling beyond that of a plain knit top and post a picture on this thread.

Ideas on patterns etc can also be posted there and people can gain inspiration from each other.

Personally I plan on doing all 5 of those I showed using fabrics from my stash but that is just because I love knit tops.

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 08:10:29 AM »
Ruthie - the one pulled over to the side is also a Burda, a June or July issue.  The woman on the front has on a long navy skirt as I recall.  In the magazine it's secured by a star brooch.

And dude, I am the sewingest along person you ever saw.  I just LOVE knit tops. No coverhem but I've found a method with fusible tricot that works for me.  I like all of these and I can just modify one of my patterns.  The vogue raglan-sleeved cowlneck fits me nicely, but it'll have to be another pattern because these aren't raglans.

Elizabeth
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline hilda

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 11:57:29 AM »
I find I am "creatively" challenged.  I can follow a pattern but to make it my own, well that's not me.  Afraid to color outside the lines so to speak.  I am in awe of those who adapt patterns and change them into something fantastic.   I love all the tops you selected Ruthie.  I'm hoping to learn from all of you the "how to" make an original.

Offline LisaB

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 02:42:08 PM »
I love the tops you have posted.  I was going to start a similar topic(thanks for doing so Ruthie), but I decided that my problem is that I don't shop too much to see what interesting things are out there, but I need some new ideas for knits.  I am getting very boring!

Ditto! These are fantastic knit tops. I could really use some interesting tops like these and would never have thought of these ideas on my own, and I sure don't get out much.  ::)

Unfortunately, my Burda magazine collection starts at 5/2008, so I'm out of luck for that 4/2008 issue, though if someone could show me a picture of the pattern pieces, I may be able to draft it using my TNT as a base.

I'm not sure how much time I can find for this challenge, but I will definitely give it a go as time allows and will follow along regardless.

Thanks, Ruthie, for starting the topic. I'm off to check out your blog!

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 03:01:39 PM »
Ruthie, I like your challenge, as I too have been somewhat bored with the tops I've been making.  I'm currently making this Katherine Tilton knit top (the short sleeve one), which I like because the sleeves are a little different:

The sleeves have pleats in them, to give them that pouffe. Anyway, I'm off to look in Burda :).
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline wendyNM

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 03:29:53 PM »
Ruthie,
Hot Patterns has a t just like the second one. Gorgeous Fabrics did a blog about it.

Wendy

Offline jsews

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 06:02:20 PM »
Not sure if I am up to the challenge as I will be out of town for a few weeks this summer, but may give it a try at least for one or two tops.  I will definitely be watching to see what others come up with for ideas.  What a fun challenge.

Jean
Devote yourself to an idea. Go make it happen.  Struggle on it; overcome your fears.   Smile!  Donít you forget - this is your dream!

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 09:25:31 PM »
Here's the Burda top with the asymmetric neckline I remembered -- it's 3/2009-138.  No sleeves but the front piece could be morphed onto another tee pretty easily I should think.

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Hi Elizabeth. Yes I found exactly that pattern when I was Burda flicking last night.
I had the same thought. I'm not entirely sure when I shall put any of these interesting thoughts into practice!
I am enjoying the game of 'how I would...' at the moment.
(at work we call this the planning phase)

Offline Remnant

• Remnant
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 11:55:06 PM »
I'd join right away, but I'm not sewing tops until mid-summer as I'm undergoing a metamorphosis soon - let's just say I won't be needing to perform FBA's any longer.  ;D

I'll be needing new tops and I'm anxious to start experimenting with styles I've been avoiding.

GREAT sew-along idea, Ruthie!

Lisa

http://remnantremains.blogspot.com

So blessed.
So decluttered. (Shall we thank the mold which destroyed nearly everything I owned?)
So ready to start thinking about sewing again. Update...NOT!...have gone back to work full-time after a26-year hiatus to raise a family and homeschool them. Now I am trying to adjust expectations, fatigue, and need to create.

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 12:21:37 AM »
This is very timely for me Ruthie, I was just looking at my long sleeved tops and thinking they looked rather shabby from last winter.
I want to make a lattice smocked top like some I made for summer and wore to death, then I am up for other ideas. I love the empire line one with the weaving at the top.
Karen
what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Offline SewRusty

• Sewist Wannabe
  • It just makes me laugh...
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 12:50:25 AM »
Ooh! Can I join? I've never done a sew-a-long before, but I'm eager and ready to make lots of nice t-shirts to wear through the fall. :) Do they have to be the ones you've chosen, or just 5 knit tops?

I think that this one (Butterick 5497) is relatively interesting, which is kind of why I chose it, but if I need to start with something that I haven't currently started on per sewalong rules, that's fine too. :)

My next top was going to be from one of the 4 Burda magazines I own, 7-2009-109.

I really like cut-outs of any sort, LOL! ;D I'd have to rummage around and see what others I would be excited to sew up. :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:55:15 AM by SewRusty »

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 01:42:06 AM »
I just saw this very cool top on 21Wale's blog. Check out the back!

Ruffles and asymmetry
what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Offline shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 02:57:34 AM »
I love that detail.  Love love.  Claudine used it some time ago on a vest and I never forgot it:
http://couturearts.wordpress.com/2009/05/25/ruffled-waistcoat/

Thanks for sharing a t-shirt version of it!

Offline ejvc

• Me about age 2
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 09:37:40 AM »
Re: the ruffled top: I've got that issue of MSB.  I can try to post a scan of the pattern schematic.

Elizabeth

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 09:57:37 AM »
Ruthie - the one pulled over to the side is also a Burda, a June or July issue.  The woman on the front has on a long navy skirt as I recall.  In the magazine it's secured by a star brooch.

Yes I think I found that one in my trawl yesterday though old burdas.
It has cut on cap sleeves, but it shows how they modified the front which will be good for ideas.

Hilda, I will take photos and show the patterns of all the things I sew as part of this so you can see what I did

Offline Remnant

• Remnant
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 08:37:03 PM »
Shams, I think you could weave your magic touch with those ruffles. I envision ruffles on skirts, shirts, dresses, jackets. Perhaps at some point in the future, we could have a ruffle sew along! Or declare a "year of the ruffle."

I also want to learn how to use trim on my garments.

But first, I can't wait to start sewing new tops with added pleats, gathers, etc.
Lisa

http://remnantremains.blogspot.com

So blessed.
So decluttered. (Shall we thank the mold which destroyed nearly everything I owned?)
So ready to start thinking about sewing again. Update...NOT!...have gone back to work full-time after a26-year hiatus to raise a family and homeschool them. Now I am trying to adjust expectations, fatigue, and need to create.

Offline shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 10:34:50 PM »
@Lisa, :)   

Most of the tops Ruthie has pictured won't work on me at all.  Tops are my biggest challenge because they cover the biggest part of my body and the last thing I need is frou frou on the bust. The way I feel about tops must be how some women feel about pants.  :)

Offline sewsy

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 11:53:17 PM »
 :)

Offline RuthieSews

• SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 06:21:24 AM »
@shams. Oh yes my skirt and pants are all dark, plain and lacking in details, I carry my heaviest area around the hips/thighs.
I have the interest in tops to gain visual balance.

I love reading your blog but nothing you sew would ever work for me, so its purely to appreciate the clothes on you!

Offline shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2011, 09:35:53 AM »
That's sweet, Ruthie.  And that's why I'll be enjoying this thread!  (And I also read your blog!)

I *love* these styles and someone should wear them!  :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:37:37 AM by shams »

Offline Patti B

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »
I love all the tops shown. It reminds me that I need to play more with my fabric and not be so goal-oriented. What's the hurry?

Shams, I think you're right about attitudes towards our problem area garments. Like RuthieK, I love your blog and just enjoy it since our figure types are so different. I always learn something from you and appreciate that you document your process so well. Thanks!

Offline Susan in Saint John

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 05:18:27 PM »
I love the comfort of wearing knit tops but like shams I don't need the emphasis at the bust.  But, I am getting bored with plain tops.  I notice that the pattern companies are still showing lots of "baby doll" tops but they remind me too much of maternity clothes and I'm long, long past that stage of my life.  There are a couple of Marcy Tilton patterns that have an asymmetrical front seam that I'd like to try.  I'm not sure about trying something with added interest at the shoulder.  Some I'd like to try are
http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6164-products-11279.php?page_id=481
http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8710-products-13657.php?page_id=260
http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8671-products-11351.php?page_id=260
http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8497-products-2053.php?page_id=260
I've been sewing a lot of the Loes Hinse, The Perfect Tee and I do have it fitting quite well.

Offline SewRusty

• Sewist Wannabe
  • It just makes me laugh...
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 05:30:14 PM »
I was thinking something like these would be fun to try out too.

I love the buttons on this one.

Interesting pleating details on these two.

I think this one has too many layers to be a good summer top, around here at least, but with some 3/4 sleeves would be excellent for Fall. :)

I think all of these are from Anthropologie, but one or two might be from Modcloth. I pulled the images from Pinterest.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:32:20 PM by SewRusty »

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics