Author Topic: Laundry Starch - making your own  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
Laundry Starch - making your own
« on: January 24, 2018, 11:26:48 AM »
This was posted in the 2018 SWAP discussion thread:

I second the suggested use of starch to tame troublesome fabrics... as long as said fabric can be treated with water afterwards to remove starch, it can make even obnoxious fabric behave like quilting cotton. Here is a post I wrote about using starch to tame jersey fabric that was determined to curl into little spirally cords:
fun with cornstarch 

I have been hunting for liquid or powdered starch for a couple of months now, but have not been able to find it anywhere.  I actually have some winging it's way over to me from the US (I'm in Australia).  Having seen Indigotiger's comment, and read her post, I went hunting.  Surely laundry starch isn't just cornflour and water?  (Technically, it is cornstarch not cornflour.  In my house it's the same thing)  It turns out it is.

https://www.hunker.com/12563667/what-is-the-difference-between-corn-starch-liquid-starch-for-laundry

This link also has a gelatine option as sizing, to be used when you can't iron on high heat. 

When I think of all the money I spent on spray starch over the years for my Army uniforms, when I had it in the cupboard all the time.....
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
Re: Laundry Starch - making your own
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 12:09:32 PM »
the only big difference between homemade and bought starch is the perservatives. if you mix up the spray kind yourself you need to use it within a few days, maybe store in the fridge, and dump any that has been sitting around for long,

but it is so cheap and easy to make, that it's not a big issue.

dissolve your cornstarch in a small bit of warm water before you dilute it further in cool water.  just like gravy making, :)

if you want a better smell...add in a drop or two of essential oil (lavender, or what you prefer)

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 06:06:43 AM »
I read about adding the oil, but thought it may mark the fabric.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 11:24:37 PM »
I know this is and old old topic, but had to say

:applause2: Thank you :applause2:

I dunk likely-to-be-contrary fabric in liquid starch. Wring out the excess and allow to dry over night.  The fabric is stiff as a board the next day but easy to handle. I used to buy a gallon of liquid starch for under a dollar.  Unfortunately, it has become limpossible to find within 150 miles of me. I checked Amazon; price varies starting at $15 for 2 gallon pack (single gallon is even more!). A more economical choice is powdered starch which requires boiling for a period of time and, asfar as I can tell, spoils in a short time. SG and this thread to the rescue telling me how to make my own cheaply!!!!

sdBev