Author Topic: Fabrickated's Low Key SWAP  (Read 2184 times)

Offline fabrickated

• Subscribed Member
    • Fabrickated
Fabrickated's Low Key SWAP
« on: January 21, 2018, 07:25:01 AM »
I am late to the party, but this year I am trying a new approach; using up what I have, including basic patterns, the simplest of plans and no pressure on myself. At the moment I am planning using a previously made and a RTW item just to keep it as easy as possible, with an option of reviewing that later.

I am thinking of two skirts and a jacket in grey; trousers, skirt and top in navy; two knitted tops and a hand painted silk blouse.

I will blog my makes (and maybe I will finally learn how to post photos here) every Saturday from now on.

Thank you for your interest and support.

Offline fabrickated

• Subscribed Member
    • Fabrickated
Re: Fabrickated's Low Key SWAP
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 06:50:54 AM »
I made my first item - a grey pencil skirt. It was not a great successes. I have written it up on www.fabrickated.com. I will have to find a better way to deal with the very bulky hem. In the meantime I will move on to a pair of trousers I think. See you all next week.

Offline fabrickated

• Subscribed Member
    • Fabrickated
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »
My second item is a yellow knitted jersey. I have it on the blog today. This afternoon I will be starting on drafting a trouser pattern. At the moment I am thinking of some simple navy trousers, with perhaps a second pair of "sports lux" grey silk ones. But I am also thinking of using the grey silk for a long evening skirt. I had better get on with the pattern....

Offline fabrickated

• Subscribed Member
    • Fabrickated
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 05:49:10 PM »
And another low key item - this time navy pants - is completed and described on the blog. I used Winifred Aldrich to draft a classic pair of trousers, and found the fit excellent.

www.fabrickated.com

edited by Kathryn to fix the broken link (fabrikated had been misspelled fabriakted)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:04:31 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline fabrickated

• Subscribed Member
    • Fabrickated
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:22:59 AM »
Thanks Kathryn!

Today on my blog I have covered one of my tops - Marfy 1913 - which has been made up many times by various bloggers. I don't like this one me, so I may need to either substitute something for this top, or get used to it.

I am knitting two more tops - although I know I can only have two knitted items in total. Again something else to decide later on.

Offline fabrickated

• Subscribed Member
    • Fabrickated
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 10:21:17 AM »
This week I managed to make a circle skirt in navy wool suiting. I am pleased with it, but don't know how best to hem it, so am waiting for inspiration! Details on www.fabrickated.com.

Offline fabrickated

• Subscribed Member
    • Fabrickated
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 07:12:46 PM »
I managed to make a second knitted item - a navy cashmere yoked sweater with an old Icelandic motif on the yoke, and I hemmed my navy circle skirt (by machine). I am happy with this outfit, which is on my blog today.

Offline fabrickated

• Subscribed Member
    • Fabrickated
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 03:49:56 PM »
I made a pair of long (Bermuda length) shorts in patterned navy fabric, which are on my blog www.fabricakted.com.

Now I am going to paint the fabric for my patterned grey top.

Offline fabrickated

• Subscribed Member
    • Fabrickated
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 04:04:14 PM »
On today's blog I write up the painted pale grey silk blouse. And I will now be moving on to the grey silk skirt. I think I am just going to pleat it onto a waist band.

Offline fabrickated

• Subscribed Member
    • Fabrickated
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 08:00:16 PM »
This weekend I completed my evening length pale grey silk skirt. I've written it up on www.fabrickated.com.

Offline fabrickated

• Subscribed Member
    • Fabrickated
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 06:10:25 AM »
One major garment to complete which is the grey jacket. On the blog today I appraise progress and have a think about outfit combinations and photographing them. This year I may try to use a tripod and the timer to take all my own photographs.

Offline fabrickated

• Subscribed Member
    • Fabrickated
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »
I am on my final garment now, the 1937 Chanel jacket (mark 2), in light grey linen. It is going well but with just one more day available I have to finish it by Sunday. I hope everyone else is on target for successful completion too. I am looking forward to the photography challenge this year!

Offline fabrickated

• Subscribed Member
    • Fabrickated
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 07:26:59 PM »
I finally managed to get everything photographed! Phew. Probably the most challenging aspect of SWAP. So exciting to see all the collections going up. I blogged my collection too on www.fabrickated.com. Long live SWAP - it is such a great challenge and the outfits I have made over the years are my best garments, which I wear and wear. Well done to everyone who finished, and even those that haven't will have achieved a great deal too.