Author Topic: How much should I pay to have a dress hemmed?  (Read 10111 times)

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
How much should I pay to have a dress hemmed?
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:42:42 PM »
My sisters wedding is next month, and my daughters dress needs to be taken up, and re-hemmed. It's too long. The dress has a underskirt, and the main dress is made from satin. The dress needs to be taken up about 6 inches. Was wondering how much i should expect to pay for this? I'm thinking about calling around. There's also an express alterations in the mall, and another alterations place near my house.

I thought about doing it myself but i worry I may mess the dress up.

Thanks for the help,
Em

Offline lydia

Re: How much should I pay to have a dress hemmed?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 01:46:10 PM »
Depending upon where you reside (city, rural, etc.); be prepared to pay at least $20-35.00.  You have two hems and with one being satin - you are looking at work.  I have retired from professional alterations and in my area, I would have charged $40.00.  Hope this helps.
"I'll cross that bridge when I get to it."

Offline kaaren

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 05:40:32 AM »
It really depends on where you live and where you go.  I was astonished when I told my husband to take his wool slacks to his favorite cleaners to be shortened.  Yes they look great but no hem strap and $24 and cleaning in addition.  So be prepared for sticker shock.  And you could do it, but nerves cost money too.  Kaaren

Offline grandrivergirl

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 03:19:45 PM »
Kaaren,
What's a hem strap?
Thanks.

Offline Bountyhunter

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 12:43:56 AM »
 ;DI think it's a trap that trap's hems. ;D :P >:D

Bountyhunter

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 06:06:02 AM »
Could it be the tape sewn inside the hem on good men's pants to prevent wear ?  I think DPC covered it in his Pants book and I've seen it mentioned in tailoring books.

Offline rratstarr

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 09:20:54 PM »
Kaaren,
What's a hem strap?
Thanks.
I'm guessing it's "tape" mispelled and auto-corrected.

Offline CyndyKitt

• Cyndy Kitt Productions
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »
Em, it would also depend on how "much" skirt there is (how full) and the type of hemming required. The outer skirt needs to be blind hemmed, so you have to make sure the service has a blind hemmer for that, but if you have the time, it would probably be safest if you hemmed the skirt by hand, if it's heavy satin (as many wedding gowns are) herringbone stitch is a good one for full skirts (that is the hemming stitch favoured by the big theatre and opera companies for costumes which are constantly going up and down).
I don't know if there is an existing tutorial on how to do an invisible herringbone hemming stitch, I'll have a look around, but if there isn't I'll try to put one together for you.

Offline Pina

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 07:48:20 AM »
I have used this stitch for hand hemming for decades.On delicate,or difficult to work with fabrics,I only take about one or two strands of the fabric on the needle,then it's almost invisible on those fabrics too.

Offline CyndyKitt

• Cyndy Kitt Productions
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 12:05:37 AM »
Thanks Pina. And the best thing about herringbone is that once you get the hang of it, it's quite fast.

Offline reanns

• Re's Home on the Road
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 08:35:57 PM »
My to-be daughter-in-law lives in the San Francisco Bay area and needs to have the wedding dress she purchased hemed.  It's silk chiffon.  She asked me what I thought she would be charged and I have no clue.  Can anyone give me a 'going rate' for hemming a gown?

Thanks!

Offline Ambimom

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 12:49:14 PM »
Of course, each part of the country has a different "going rate."  You have to find someone who is experienced in bridal, formal and evening wear.  I would expect to pay at least $50 (perhaps more) an hour; and depending on the fullness of the skirt (and under skirt if there's one) the finished cost would probably be a minimum of $250 to $300, or more.

Did you check the store in which she purchased the dress?  Perhaps they will do the alteration?  Bridal stores have seamstresses on call. They might even do it for free.

Call a few seamstresses in your area and ask how much they charge and if they have experience doing bridal.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics