Author Topic: Turquoise's "Trying to get organised" SWAP (comments in main thread please)  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
I have no idea how much I will be able to sew in the time frame, but I am enjoying watching everyone's thought processes and progress and hope to use this exercise as a way of organising my stash and sewing time into clothes that can be worn together as outfits.  Too often I flit from project to project - anything that catches my eye  :) and get a wardrobe full of orphans.

I am still finding it difficult to narrow down options (so probably won't be following rules correctly ) but know that I won't get anything done if I don't start somewhere. 

Neutrals
Browns ( In an range of tones)
Grey

Accent colours
Coral
Teal/turquoise

Inspiration Mood Board

Potential Fabrics to fit colour scheme

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
This was the first bit of SWAP sewing this year and is my version of the grey wrap on my inspiration board.

I've eked out the lovely selvedge on that fabric and have made Silhouette Pattern's "4-way cardi" from the same material.  I managed to cut the sleeves with the hem along the selvedge too.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
Putting my thoughts here has helped me narrow down the colours and fabrics for the SWAP.  I can see now that one of the main reasons I don't get enough sewing done is I don't narrow down choices enough for what to work on next and so spend more time planning and trying to decide than sewing  :)

It may all change in the sewing but I think I have narrowed things down to using Grey and Brown as the neutrals and ivory and coral as the accent colours with an ivory/grey print.  The grey fabric and ivory/grey are part of an order that hasn't arrived yet, so this may change if I don't like the fabric.  I have a RTW ivory pair of jeans that I would include in this plan with these colours/fabrics.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
I've been inspired by Ruthie's efficient method of working on all one colour to get more done, so I've been working on some of the grey pieces.

I've made another Silhouette Pattern's 4 way cardi, this time at the usual length so that it can be worn hanging open or crossed over at front near waist level.

I combined pattern pieces from Silhouette Pattern's Ann's Top and the 4-way cardi to make a top similar to the coral sweater on my mood board.  This grey material is a very lightweight viscose jersey so I haven't made this version so long but will lengthen when I make a coral version so that the sweater part hangs longer than the wrap, as in the inspration photo.

I cut out a simple tube skirt with elasticated waist.  I just need to decide which pieces will be hemmed and which left raw and hem as needed.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
I saw this jersey top on the Next website and would like to make something similar.  They didn't have it in my local Next shop yet to have a look at but hopefully soon.

I've taken my basic t shirt pattern and moved the darts and added a pleat and have this as a first attempt.  I haven't added enough ease and I need to move the top horizontal pleat and/or change the neckline so that I don't get a ripple at the neckline there.  It's not great but as I haven't done anything like this before it doesn't seem too bad for a first attempt.  I haven't hemmed or finished the armholes yet and will change the sleeves to match the image once I have the pleats etc. worked out.

Any tips or hints on how to get closer to that look gratefully recieved  ;D

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
I've made a tunic type version of my T-shirt pattern to wear layered over the grey tube skirt and taken some photos of the combinations so far on my dress form.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
The brown jacket is one I made before the SWAP started.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
I'm not sure if this will end up part of the "collection" of garments to go together.  This is a copy of a RTW top I like.  I cut the lace fabric apart into the separate colours and stitched back together to create the fabric for the top.  I have some of the same fabric in coral colours and want to make the same top in this.  I have a few ready made cami tops and will wear one of those under this.  I've not sewn with lace like this before and I'm pleased with how it's come out.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
I'm on a roll with the lace fabric and have finished the coral version  :).

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
I think after all the sewing with plain fabrics I now seem to be gravitating towards prints. I've made another version of Silhouette Pattern's "Ronen's Asymmetrical Top" - I made two of these last year and have worn them a lot and so another one will be useful. This version fits in with my colour scheme for SWAP and will get worn a lot. 

I had better start making some things from plain fabrics again  :)  I have no idea what will end up being in the "collection" for SWAP but am just pleased to have become unstuck and busy sewing things again.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
Re: Turquoise's "Trying to get organised" SWAP (comments in main thread please)
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 09:18:04 PM »
I’ve dug the coral fabrics out of the stash again and have been cutting out ready to sew the coral pieces as a group.  So far I’ve cut out -

Silhouette Pattern’s Carole’s Jacket in a linen mix fabric
Silhouette Pattern’s 4 way cardi in a lightweight sweater knit and in the same fabric a version of the combined 4 way cardigan and Ann’s top as I made with the grey knit earlier.
A lekala parka type jacket in a lightweight viscose - I’m still trying to decide whether I interface all the fabric pieces in a lightweight knit interfacing to give more weight and retard wrinkling or just some of the pieces - I think I need to test some larger bits of the leftover fabric.

I have some coral knit fabric I want to make into a t-shirt and some pretty coral dobby fabric to make into a sleeveless top.

All this cutting out is good but I know I’m really dithering on what to do with the faux suede scuba type fabric I want to sew up for this SWAP.  I keep seeing some great jackets on websites but I’m trying to balance being drawn to more unusual or dramatic designs with the reality of whether I would actually end up wearing them. Hmmmm, perhaps I’ll cut out the basic ivory t-shirts I know I want while I dither a bit longer  ;D

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
Still dithering a bit with what to do with the faux suede scuba type fabric, so I've started sewing with the print.  This is an adaptation from Silhouette Pattern's #915 Hugo's Favourite Cardigan as shown in a webcast http://www.silhouettepatterns.com/html/media/livestreamchannel/replay_02_06_2017.htm

There is some fabric left so I'm going to see how much and work out what sort of top might be possible with the yardage left  - I might make a top with a knit back if needed.

I'm going to make some ivory T-shirts next and then I really need to decide what to do with that faux suede fabric.  I want to at least decide and cut it out before I start sewing the coral pieces I have already cut out or I'm worried I won't ever decide and it will sit in the stash for ever  :)

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
The first of the Ivory tops is complete.  This is Silhouette Pattern's "Marc's twisted blouse" #617.  It needs another press after my fiddling with the twisted knot.  I just need to buy some clear snaps to put on to keep the blouse from risk of popping open. 

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
I can see I'm making a habit of photographing before final pressing  ;D  I'm not quite sure what I've been doing lately to create so many creases in the sewing process.  This is a variation of the longer version of Silhouette Pattern's "Tahari's Pullover Top". 

In her YouTube videos, Peggy Sagers has often cut out versions of her knit tops with the centre front/back pulled away from the fold line by 1" - 1.5" to add flare at the hipline - I thought I would try this technique with this top to give a different silhouette.  I like the neckline in this pattern and it will be fun to mix and match the neckline fabrics in future versions, like the sample photos on the pattern cover.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
I think I will move on now to the Coral pieces I cut out earlier. 

I still haven’t really decided what to do with the faux suede scuba.  I have seen a RTW jacket and skirt that might be good things to try and copy, so I’ll need to do some pattern work and make up muslins before I get any further.

I am very aware that I’ve been making lots of tops and not much else, so it’s unlikely I’ll finish the SWAP according to the rules, at least in the proper time frame.  I’m happy with what I’m doing though as my main motivation has been to take a more organised approach to my sewing and I’m generally quite happy to buy RTW trousers, jeans and skirts especially now it’s easier to get these in longer lengths for taller women - tops, jackets and dresses are the things that are harder for me to find a good fit in RTW.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
I'm started sewing some of the other fabrics in my original chart of "Colours and Potential fabrics".

This is an animal print version of Silhouette Pattern's "Sophia's Dress".  It has a cowl front and a draped twist on the front and some nice detail on the back yoke but you can't see it with this busy print.

This turquoise striped top is Silhouette Pattern's "Cut up tee".  The front has nice shaping but you can't really see on the hanger but the cut up sections of the back show well with the stripes.

This sewing isn't exactly helping me complete the SWAP according to the rules but it feels good to get the collection of fabrics I chose at the beginning sewn up.  In reality I have RTW jeans that will work well with all these tops I've been making.

I'm swapping the threads over for the coral pieces I cut out earlier now.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
So I've swapped all the threads over to coral colours (thanks Ruthie for introducing me to this way of sewing!  :) ) and have started sewing the coral pieces I cut out earlier.  Here is the first completed piece - a wrap sweater based on one of the pictures on my inspiration board.

I have some of this fabric left and some of the coral lace, so might see what I can come up with later to combine them.

Next up a coral jean jacket.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
I'm still sewing away at the coral colours.  I thought I'd put all the makes during the SWAP to date together to try and see what actually goes together  :)  To work as a SWAP I really would need to create some bottom pieces but I wouldn't make it in time and will stick to my RTW jeans etc.  I'm now really wanting to sew summer clothes as we finally have some sunshine and higher temperatures.  I'm really pleased that sharing in the SWAP has helped me focus and get lots of sewing done. I'll update once I've finished the coral pieces.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
The coral linen jeans jacket is done  :)  I'm sure I'll get a lot of wear of out this as I wear the brown one I made before the SWAP all the time.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
I’ve finished the coral 4-way cardi and have just about managed to cut out the pieced version of the Silhouette Patterns 4 way tank top (pattern #514) from the scraps. 
I needed a break from the coral Lekala pattern ( https://www.lekala.co/catalog/women/jackets/pattern/4704#model) as the instructions for that are driving me crazy  :run4hills:  Finishing that might turn out to be part of my slow SWAP sewing after Monday.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
The Coral 4-way cardi and tank made from the scraps of the same viscose jersey as the 4-way cardi is finished.  I used some of the remnants of the coral lace.

I haven't attempted to go back to the Lekala jacket today - maybe if my brain is working better tomorrow I'll have another go at finishing it  - if not it will be part of the slow SWAP plan :D

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
Going through my fabric remnants I found some of the Brown/Grey double faced viscose knit fabric I used last year to make a jeans style jacket.  The Style Arc Taylor knit skirt pattern doesn't need much fabric and is a nice twist on a tube skirt.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
I’ve cut out a Style Arc Mindi skirt from the Coral linen and sewn about a third of it.  I’m far too tired to stay up late trying to finish it before the deadline but really pleased to still have some momentum going for after today.  I’m going to try to do 30 minutes most days to keep things going and I still have some lovely Coral cotton dobby fabric and some more jersey and some remnants of various coral fabrics to continue making things to fit with the existing pieces.

This has been a fantastic experience to be part of and although my planning hasn’t been totally in with all the rules I’m going to have a play now with combinations of the things I’ve made and some of my rtw jeans etc. to see what works as outfits for me.  I’ve still gone with whims to a certain extent but I feel I’ve been much more productive being part of this SWAP and have been far more organised than usual, so thanks to Mudcat and all my fellow SWAP colleagues for a really fun way to share lots of sewing  :)

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
I've finally been well enought again to start sewing, so I've finished the linen Style Arc Mindi skirt.  This is the same fabric as the linen jeans style jacket.  I've cut out a tank in the same fabric, so I'll finish that next.  I've used a beige/brown zip as I want to tie it in with some of the things I've sewn and am going to sew in brown.  Like CCL I am going to carry on sewing a few more things in "slow SWAP" time   :).