Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)  (Read 40617 times)

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2018, 06:56:31 PM »
Melinda_B
Your ITS top is stunning - both the style and the fabric. I can see why it has become a wardrobe favourite.

Sorry to hear that your over locker needles made holes in your fabric.

Annette
Queensland Australia

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2018, 09:57:14 PM »
Turquoise - thank you, lightbulb. I actually DO use that width thing with my pictures, but never thought of clicking on them to see them opening to a bigger image.... I thought that is the size they are displayed at. So, now that I realized this I can showcase them even smaller, and reader must just click.
Eva

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2018, 04:19:18 AM »
Thank you Annette!

Morzel, I do exactly what Turquoise said.  I add the url in the brackets using the buttons, then just add in width=400 or whatever width I need
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2018, 04:39:00 AM »
Thank you Annette!

Morzel, I do exactly what Turquoise said.  I add the url in the brackets using the buttons, then just add in width=400 or whatever width I need

I do the same with a twist. Instead of width I use height and usually state 300 or 350, so height=300. Width is a good choice for landscape photos but tall portrait can still be pretty big if you choose width. If I'm posting 2 or 3 photos in one post making them all the same height in thumbnail looks so much cleaner. Also they can usually appear side by side, which I think is more viewer friendly.

So you have options!  :D

Offline fabrickated

• Subscribed Member
    • Fabrickated
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2018, 07:20:13 AM »
Hello everyone. As you all know Life Happens, and I have been so bogged down with work and a little book making project I have hardly had any sewing time.

I am planning to join in again this year, but in a super low key way. No pressure. Just looking at my fabric collection, and using up some of the nice fabrics I have, and sticking entirely to tried and tested patterns. I think this is in harmony with the brief this year. I will be covering what I do every Saturday on my blog, and I will try to keep up with you too. Please excuse me if I am a bit retiring - I still have to get a huge work project (a merger) over the line by April. So my low key SWAP might dovetail nicely with the most challenging thing I have ever done in my career.

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2018, 12:08:25 PM »
Hi Kate!

I'm SO GLAD to see that you're back! I was just visiting your blog, the cabinets that your DH made, indeed, your sewing space, your HOUSE is just so fabulous. Looks so warm, inviting and lovely. Looking so forward to what you'll be doing for this year's swap.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2018, 12:54:08 PM »
Yay, Kate!

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2018, 01:37:36 PM »
Wow, that's sewing dedication, Kate! Looking forward to your SWAP and hoping it will prove the (necessary?) distraction from work you need to refuel!

Thanks, Rene, about the heads up on 'height' - that's much smarter to use, but as it never appeared in any tutorials, I never thought to try it.
Eva

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2018, 02:12:03 PM »
Sewing has happened!!

The Plantain tee is half way done, needs neck band and hemming. Woot! This SWAP may actually finish on time!

Kate, so glad you are joining in, although I have to wonder about the simplicity of hand knitting and painting fabric!  JK. I know how you prefer to stay busy, and I am sure creating is a welcome respite from the merger at work.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's forward progress today.
Wendy

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2018, 02:19:07 PM »
Kate, it's nice to see you joining in on the fun!

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2018, 09:07:15 PM »
Treefrog, I LOVE your print pants! They are very cool. And well made! Your print blouse turned out great, too. Good luck choosing which plan to sew -- I would have a hard time deciding, too, if I were in your shoes.

Morzel, your blue wool knit sounds very nice indeed. ;D Sometimes fabrics will insist on coming home with us.

CCL - great casual capsule! :) Your jacket turned out very nice.

Melinda, your blouse is very nice (and I agree, stunning fabric). The neckline pleats turned out beautifully. Good luck getting your sewing area organized and I hope you will find your SWAP fabrics. I can't wait to see your progress on your AC jacket! Interesting that you and Indigotiger will both be using navy or indigo with brown for your AC layer. It's a great color combo.

Wendy, sorry to hear you had a stomach bug! :( Hope you're feeling 100% now. How exciting that you've almost finished your first garment for SWAP. ;D

Elephun
, I like your Fair Fit skirt, it looks very interesting. :) Good idea to make a few more of the Tessuti top that worked.

Demented Fairy, I'm looking forward to seeing your new items! I'm interested to see what you mean by the origami folding. ;D

Kate, nice to see you're doing SWAP this year. I like your simple plan.

My latest update - I plan to begin sewing in February now. That gives me plenty of time to finish recovering from the stupid flu and regain my strength (and put away xmas decor and clean my home LOL). I've put a stop to my mental angsting about my plan by coming up with a spring 6-PAC that will include half my SWAP plan. I chose the garments based on (a) what I most want to wear, (b) fabric already in the stash, (c) things that fill wardrobe gaps, and (d) pieces that work together to make outfits I like. :) I'll decide on the other 5 SWAP garments once I've made some sewing progress. :)

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2018, 09:47:31 PM »
Demented Fairy

I love that Kwiksew Dress Pattern, especially view A and can't wait to see your finished dress.
Annette
Queensland Australia

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2018, 10:10:25 PM »
@AnnetteB  I have made the sleeveless version [although I cut out the sleeves and wavered a bit] as this is meant to be a popover layer to go over the long sleeved T shirt.  The fabric is VERY lightweight and I would not have worn it as a single layer.  It's all done now so I'll get some pics tomorrow.  The missus says it's really nice, so my trials in working out how to shorten it seem to be worth it.

@M lambie the origami all happened while I tried to work out how to shorten the pattern pieces- I wanted to keep all the flare and drape, and it was harder than I expected to fold out some inches.  It all went together fine though, so I must have got it right!  The shape is really nice so this will be made again at dress length.  My blog post on how I worked out the folds is here https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/01/04/short-cut/

I've started the Style Arc Lani now, another interesting pieced tunic.
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2018, 10:56:02 PM »

@M lambie the origami all happened while I tried to work out how to shorten the pattern pieces- I wanted to keep all the flare and drape, and it was harder than I expected to fold out some inches.  It all went together fine though, so I must have got it right!  The shape is really nice so this will be made again at dress length.  My blog post on how I worked out the folds is here https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/01/04/short-cut/

Thanks for the clarification, Demented Fairy! I totally misunderstood and thought you were doing the origami to the finished garment, so I was intrigued. ;D Glad to know our shortening method worked, and looking forward to pix.

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2018, 10:51:38 AM »
Is there some clever trick to the way folks make member names appear in the text, or is it as simple as choosing Bold face?

Anyhew, @Susan:  your collection is coming together beautifully, that latest mustard/grey outfit looks very chic indeed.  I'm wary of cropped trousers personally, being so short and square, but they look great on you!
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline andib

• O/T Politics
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »
I rarely comment on the SWAPS. As I find coming yo the comment thread a but cumbersome, but I had to stop by and tell susan the your outfit is smashing!

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2018, 01:24:53 PM »
Is there some clever trick to the way folks make member names appear in the text, or is it as simple as choosing Bold face

Yes, just choose Bold.  When I'm writing them, I have two tabs open, one with the threads and one where I'm writing a comment.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2018, 01:28:25 PM »
I always mean to do that, but there are just so many threads!  I do read all the posts though, it's fascinating watching ideas develop, and seeing ll the unique colour schemes

Offline Susan in Saint John

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2018, 07:38:46 PM »
Lillie may give it one more try using the starch suggested by Morzel - if it works Lillie and her client can probably get back on speaking terms, especially if her client will offer to fix dinner.
I second the suggested use of starch to tame troublesome fabrics... as long as said fabric can be treated with water afterwards to remove starch, it can make even obnoxious fabric behave like quilting cotton. Here is a post I wrote about using starch to tame jersey fabric that was determined to curl into little spirally cords:

Thanks for this link.  I had not realized how easy it was to make your own spray starch.  Laundry starch is non existent around here -- but how many of us are starching shirts?

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2018, 12:59:10 PM »
I'm super happy to see that other swapers are taking some side trips along the journey. It means I am in good company.

I will (sometime soon) post a personal update on my individual thread. In the meantime, I have had (too much) time to think rather than sew...so am considering new options,

Just to cross post...I posted a "fishing for ideas" request in the Cutting Line patterns thread. Comments welcome over there on how to do this. I will post more about the "whys" and "how/if it works" on my swap thread, once I get further.

Offline Susan

• Sewstyled
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2018, 11:16:09 PM »
Towanda, I like your collection of red, black and cream fabrics and those prints -  sophisticated and easy to coordinate.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2018, 08:01:10 AM »
I am sewing brown pieces. I did have a proper plan, but the garments don't seem to queue up in the planned order and a few extra fabrics have jumped out and are waving at me.

I decided I can give the brown fabrics full reign until the end of January as that's only 6 days and after that I need to pause, take some photos and re-evaluate, and refocus on the overall SWAP plan. I might well sew some more brown then anyway, but at the moment I'm having a little bit of creative craziness.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2018, 08:34:44 PM »
I have a lot of catching up to do on the threads -- I am sure I have missed some... but wow!  Everyone is still going blockbusters.

Towanda,   Nice cowl top – love the fabric!  The floral on the black background is also lovely.  Can’t wait to see that one made up.   One of the few of the new Vogue Patterns I like is the cowl neck dress with overtop.  Your photo is making me seriously consider this pattern.  Off topic a bit, but I have been using the shoulder stand that you mentioned in the September Sewing Area spruce up thread and I purchased.  I use it a lot and it's really making a difference.  So thank you.

Demented Fairy - Nice textures in the grey top, the red WOW top with the black skirt is great… I keep going back to look at it.

Sew Ruthie , that Primo pattern has been a winner for you and this latest brown cardigan version looks so warm and toasty.

Susan, I am still marveling at your creativity on the style and color combination  - the blouse and the new pair of wide cropped pants.    The whole look is nicely quirky.

Marji, I hope you get the photo posting worked out – can’t wait to see what you are sewing.

Indigo Tiger   That cardigan is going to be a piece of artwork.  Probably should be framed and exhibited.  Nice, though, that you have discovered an efficient method for stenciling.

Elephun,   I like the lines of the tessuti top – maybe having multiples of it might be great for your wardrobe.

Warpjr1965 - Your fabrics are so pretty and it’s wonderful to watch your evolving plan.  (Mine is too, but I am not as near good as you at keeping the thought process posted).

Melinda- Count me in as another fan of the Itch to Stitch Kathryn top – it seems a perfect style for you.

Medea - Your completed items are gorgeous and so well sewn.   I hope you aren’t worried about the timetable, as whatever you make is just so elegant and refined.  Beautiful work.

Morzel   How do you do it?  You make comfortable, casual clothes look couture.  Your workmanship is always so spot on.   The detail on the sleeves of the sweatshirt is cool and I would love to have made that button down blue shirt.

TreeFrog   I am late to the party – but I also love those pants – I’d wear ‘em –  and I am way, way, way conservative  - they aren’t too loud… think of them as a print skirt.

MLambie   I am kind of in the same boat as you with the plan – I am going to steal your idea of identifying the basic things I know I am going to sew… and worry about how the plan fits together later and as I clear out some of the clutter in my brain.

BessC - I think a bunch of us may be taking some side trips... I am wondering if my whole casual capsule was a side trip!  Hope you are being able to manipulate the sewing machine successfully.

I won't be working on SWAP garments this week as I have to sew up a dress for my niece and I am starting a FolkWear cheese maker shirt for a friend  - I want to finish those obligations up quickly though, and get back to sewing up some of the SWAP items I know I am going to make.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2018, 05:11:38 PM »
Dear SWAPpers and interested parties, if you like to comment on which underlay you think is prettiest, I have a whole load of options on another thread here
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=1382.0

In the meantime I think I had better finish off one of my partially done garments!

I am hugely impressed with anyone actually modelling their clothes, this is way beyond my ability at the moment, maybe next week? (no promises).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:44:26 PM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2018, 02:59:40 AM »
SWAPers, I am enjoying everyone's progress! I'll be back with comments later but it's quite exciting to see finished garments! (One day I'll have some of those myself LOL)

Meanwhile I had a family emergency this week and my mind is all over the place. I'm planning to begin sewing soon and I hope it will keep me grounded.

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2018, 03:10:29 AM »
Mary,

Sorry to hear about your husband's heart attack. And yes, I think you are right to go out and get that fabric that you like. Life is too short and none of us know what's around the corner.

Hope you get your sewing mojo back soon!! Best wishes to you and hour DH.
Annette
Queensland Australia

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2018, 05:07:52 AM »
Mary, sorry about your DH. You seem so young to me and if your DH is in your age group that's far too young for a heart attack.  Good thoughts going your way.

Everyone, regarding SWAP collections ... I really like this OSKA one. Various shades of grays, creams/whites, lighter greens, a touch of pink and lighter blues, browns/beige.  Several different styles of pants, tops, jackets, skirts, dresses and a few scarves to pull things together.  Granted there is way too much here for a SWAP. But the colorways/styles are still somewhat limited.  So it's easy to pick a few styles and colors to come up with a cohesive collection.

https://www.oska.com/en/products/collection/shop-spring-summer/

Offline KarenDee

• Subscribed Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2018, 05:28:01 AM »
Mary, so sorry to hear of your husband and his health issues.so many new treatments are being sone for heart attaxk patients; hope he recovers quickly. Relax and treat yourself to the fabrics you want during this time.

Karendee

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2018, 12:54:13 PM »
Mlambie - good grief, how good you went to the ER ... I wish your husband a thorough and hopefully quick recovery!
Eva

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2018, 01:01:23 PM »
How horrible that must have been, but I'm glad he's OK. 

Live life for now everyone, tomorrow sometimes doesn't come.

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2018, 04:15:25 PM »
Oh Mary, I'll be thinking of you. So glad he is doing well now.

Kudos to all you fast sewers!  I remain slowly moving forward, a snail could move faster than me right now.  I will just keep plugging along. I have 2 shirts cut, one partially assembled.  I hope to get some pants cut out and possibly sewn up this weekend, we shall see.

No major changes to my plan, keeping to the current pattern/fabric matchups for now.
Wendy

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2018, 06:15:46 PM »
Mary, I’m glad your husband is home with you. What a shock! Hugs to you from me.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2018, 08:25:47 PM »
Mary, best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for your husband.  Hopefully some sewing time will help you relax through the worries.  Sending hugs x

Offline Bookish

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2018, 10:30:12 PM »

Mary, thinking of you and your husband... So glad he's home and doing well.  And yes, you should get your fabric.  :D

Mudcat, thank you for the Oska link.  Very inspiring... Also can see many Cutting Line Designs and Style Arc patterns that could be used.  Now if only I were 20 lbs lighter and 5 inches taller...  ;).

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2018, 10:50:13 AM »
I made my first item - a grey pencil skirt. It was not a great successes. I have written it up on www.fabrickated.com. I will have to find a better way to deal with the very bulky hem. In the meantime I will move on to a pair of trousers I think. See you all next week.

Kate, I copied the above from your thread, as I can't write posts there. You could reduce some of the bulk by trimming and doing a faced hem:

hth.