Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)  (Read 40621 times)

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)
« Reply #455 on: April 29, 2018, 10:10:46 PM »
Yay to everyone finishing up. The collections are shaping up to be so lovely.

I agree, Ruthie - I think the shirt dress will stand the test of time for me, so that was a win. Can't wait to see your collection. The metallic addition sounds perfect.

Go Wendy! Glad you got a sewing machine on loan. Cheering you on. Oops I just understood that you have finished already. Way to go, Wendy! :)

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #456 on: April 29, 2018, 10:56:02 PM »
Stephanie, I love that dress!  Did you mention what pattern you used?   You have some great pieces, including that lovely "not blue" shirt.

Wendy!  Way to go!  I am so thrilled for you.  When you had all those problems with your machine, I didn't think you would be able to finish...but wow, you did.  So glad to see that you feel good about your SWAP as well.  And, at the same time, along with everything else, you were able to finish your husband's jacket.  Nice.

Turquoise, those last coral pieces are lovely, and I am still drooling over your coral Jean jacket. 

Ruthie, for someone who has been slowed down by a cold, your output is phenomenal...the last teal and ivory top is such a nice versatile piece.

I did manage to muslin the new sheath pattern, transfer the adjustments to my pattern and cut it out in a cheap practice fabric, but I am a long way from getting it made up in my Neutral #2 fabric.  I am still figuring June / July by the time I get my last pieces made.

Yeah to everyone finishing or still sewing - there's still tomorrow, correct?   It was fun to sew along, plan and chatter with everyone.  Such eye candy we got to see...

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:04:17 PM by CCL »

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #457 on: April 29, 2018, 11:13:41 PM »
What perfect comments, CCL. I agree with all of them.

Thanks re. the shirt dress. The pattern is 114 from the 02#2018 Burda Magazine. It looks quite different in the magazine relative to my version. The linen really changes the look. I think I will try making it again in a patterned stretch cotton, and take out a few of the gathers. Nevertheless, a successful pattern. I was reflecting on the SWAP experience this afternoon and realized that another benefit is that I would likely not have otherwise worked for repeated garments with a neutral like hazelnut. I'm happy I did, however! (Thanks to mudcat for the great rules.)

Good luck to all who are still finishing. I think I'm going to try to make one more garment but I still won't have quite enough finished by tomorrow night. :(

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #458 on: April 30, 2018, 07:19:39 AM »
Enjoy your sewing Monday ladies.  ;)

Wendy, awesome.

Several of you are quite close; good luck finishing on time. And if not, well, just keep sewing, just keep sewing...

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #459 on: April 30, 2018, 07:49:11 AM »
Too tired to make comments (I'll look later at everyone's threads) but I am DONE!

I didn't get to make the woven shirt I wanted, but this SWAP will check a lot of boxes for me for sure. I'll start populating my gallery soon.

And there are at least 3 Swap-extra garments I want to make to extend this group.  This is my best SWAP yet.  Thanks for all the encouragement and camaraderie, and Mudcat thanks for coordinating!

Yay, well done Wendy!

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
« Reply #460 on: April 30, 2018, 09:18:05 AM »
I've been sitting on my hands sewing-wise because of all the palaver at work, but finally cut out a last pair of [hopefully easy] trousers last night.  I intend to run them up tonight and squeak in under the wire!
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline Aussie28

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #461 on: April 30, 2018, 09:25:38 AM »
Here I go again.... jumping in at the last minute ????

Hi everyone! Loving the unique and colourfull collections this year

I seriously didn't think I would be able to join this year as I had so much on. With the addition of a pair ready to wear jeggings and one previously made item,  my swap wardrobe is complete. Yay. I just need to get the photos taken now.
I have to admit that I did struggle with the rules a little but I am so glad I perservered because I absolutely love the end result.

Congratulations  to everyone who finished! Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Thanks Mudcat for co-ordinating the swap and the well thought out rules.

Offline Magimum

• Subscribed Member
    • I blog at Poor Mother
« Reply #462 on: April 30, 2018, 12:18:33 PM »
Ruthie, just seen your leafy green top with the scarf and wanted to say how much I like it.  I love those colours.

Lisa
My flickr feed https://flic.kr/ps/28QUmm

My blog: poormother.co.uk
and flowerdogdesigns.co.uk - where my machine embroidery will live, eventually.

Offline Medea

• You'll find my Wardrobe Diary at
« Reply #463 on: April 30, 2018, 04:38:48 PM »
I'm so happy that I've finished in time. I just have to ask my husband to take some photos the coming days and before that I have to make a plan how to change clothes in an effective way to get as many nice outfits as possible. Anyone have any tips on an effective photo shot??
I'm at Instagram @ medeasgarderob (Medea's Wardrobe)

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #464 on: May 01, 2018, 04:57:03 PM »
Congratulations to everyone who managed to finish, and good luck getting your photos together! :)

Treefrog, I love how you did your photos and I especially love the jumping shot. ;D

Wendy, I am so excited for you managing to overcome your misbehaving sewing maching and finish anyway. I can't wait to see your finished pieces after reading about all your adventures. :)

Ruthie, I'm so glad you decided to show a collection after all. I think you've put together a really nice set with a good balance of color and neutral. Your final top is lovely and I really like the scarf with it. (And what a sewing adventure your "simple" scarf turned out to be!)

Aussie28, nice to know that you've finished another SWAP this year. :) I'm quite curious as to what you've sewn!

Medea, I like the three tops you showed in your thread. I'll be interested to see which two you choose for your SWAP collection.

Demented Fairy, did you manage to finish?? (I bet you did!) ;D

Turquoise, I really like the coral pieces you showed. The jeans jacket looks really professional and I love how you added the coral lace to your top. The Style Arc skirt looks great, too. Will you enter a SWAP with what you've sewn plus RTW jeans (or trousers)?

CCL, I just love the collection you've sewn thus far. Your print fabric really ties together the black, burgundy, and rust solids. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your set whenever you finish it. :)

Stephanie, your linen skirt and dress are wonderful! I have really enjoyed following your progress this year. :) Also, your blog post about planning vs. doing really made me think. Wardrobe planning is one activity and garment sewing is another, and there is no automatic connection between the two. I guess that is what makes SWAP such a challenge. I also enjoyed your recent post where you analyzed how SWAP does or doesn't work for you.

I've taken a few weeks off from fussing and angsting about my SWAP plans and my lack of sewing mojo. It's been nice. :) Now, while the official SWAP has ended, I will begin sewing my vacation collection (formerly known as my SWAP). I'm looking forward to seeing how the other slower SWAPers progress. And of course, I am very excited to see everyone's final SWAP photos next week!

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #465 on: May 01, 2018, 05:18:59 PM »
There are some AMAZING collections there- very exciting and inspiring uses of colour!

I managed to get the trousers done, no fuss, even though the instructions didn't match the drawings, so I just did it my way.  VERY interesting and comfy trousers, hemmed and pressed, and will be worn tomorrow, with the red velvet tunic for a job interview.  Wish me luck!
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #466 on: May 01, 2018, 05:41:08 PM »
Dementedfairy, good luck in youir job interview. I have to say for the sorts of job interviews I went for a red velvet tunic never featured! However its a good idea to be yourself as its as much about seeing if you like them/the job as much as them wanting to hire you.

I continued to feel more unwell and went to the doctors today, and am now on antibiotics for some sort of chest infection (not entirely sure what exactly, but there was 'crackling on both sides' which didn't sound good and it hurts to breathe). I've spent a lot of time in bed and no time on photos. Hopefully in a few days I will be on the mend and out clicking away with the camera however I think I will go for the minimum number of photos of me wearing the outfits, and make use of Doris the Dummy and the fence which holds the carport up for the rest.

It has been great to see the updates on various threads about collections being completed or future plans being made.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #467 on: May 01, 2018, 06:34:01 PM »
Oh Ruthie you poor thing, I hope you recover really soon now you’re on antibiotics.  I’ve also spent most of today in bed but I’m pretty sure I’m over the worst of it now. Fingers crossed anyhow.

I don’t know if I will enter a SWAP, I’ve no experience of taking photos of myself and right now feel really lousy so we will see.

dementedfairy well done for getting the trousers finished and best of luck with your interview  :)

Right, I’m off to catch up with everyone’s makes.

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #468 on: May 01, 2018, 11:50:19 PM »
Ruthie, I hope you feel better!

DementedFairy: good luck!

Stephanie, I do like that linen shirtdress!

Me? yesterday I decided one SWAP Item was out, so managed to whip up a sweater in the chunky knit (2 pieces, easy peasy, the worst was wrangling the knit.)  So now I'm done.  ;D
Wendy

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #469 on: May 01, 2018, 11:57:48 PM »
Best Wishes to you all for the photo taking stage.
All the rest of us are much looking forward to seeing your collections
 :heart_smilie:
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #470 on: May 02, 2018, 01:51:30 AM »
Regarding taking photos I thought this site was someone helpful though probably overkill for most of us.
I would just make sure you note any shadows and such and try to avoid them as they can make colors look off.

http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/clothing_photography.htm

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #471 on: May 02, 2018, 06:11:50 AM »
Oh Ruthie you poor thing, I hope you recover really soon now you’re on antibiotics.  I’ve also spent most of today in bed but I’m pretty sure I’m over the worst of it now. Fingers crossed anyhow.

I don’t know if I will enter a SWAP, I’ve no experience of taking photos of myself and right now feel really lousy so we will see.

dementedfairy well done for getting the trousers finished and best of luck with your interview  :)

I hope all of you feel better soon- that's no fun at all.

DF good luck on the interview! We all so want you to get away from that supervisor at work.

Turquoise, you only need to include yourself in one shot per this years rules. You can also blur your face if you choose also.

Congratulations to all of you who finished! And all who came close for that matter- you got some new clothes out of it! Some of us just got good plans made.

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #472 on: May 02, 2018, 10:21:32 AM »
Congratulations Wendy (warpjr) - an interesting analysis of how your SWAP works

https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #473 on: May 02, 2018, 04:40:33 PM »
Well, it's time to confess what I actually did during this time period.  One day I will start making a note of what I plan and where I land up instead. 
This SWAP time, I said I would have nothing to do with skirts, and chose a core wardrobe of the simplest possible shapeless patterns.  So of course I've been making a fitted skirt block and learning to sew knits.
I'm looking forward to seeing what other people have done with this time  ;D

Online LyndaC

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #474 on: May 02, 2018, 05:16:05 PM »
At the bottom of a post here, it says, "does this bring you joy and peace?"
  Posting pictures here brings me frustration!  So I do not post photos here!
 The administrators are patient and kind, but I just cannot seem to make it work.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #475 on: May 03, 2018, 11:44:29 AM »
Demented Faery, just wanted to pop in and say your red velvet top and black pants look wonderful!  Hope you smashed that interview and your work misery is soon over.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #476 on: May 04, 2018, 07:27:10 AM »
Today is my only day for photos as I'm away at the weekend.
I'm still not feeling great so will just do what I can with them later on.
At least its a nice sunny day and dry so can use the garden.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #477 on: May 04, 2018, 05:32:21 PM »
I've just done my photos and I really love my SWAP and how all the pieces work together.
I'm going away for the weekend and taking lots of SWAP pieces with me because I like them so much.
I am super happy :-) thanks to those who encouraged me to actually do the collection.
I'll edit the photos and try uploading them to the gallery after dinner.

Hope the photography goes well this weekend for all those doing photos, and to those still sewing at a different pace I would love to see your pieces when you are able to share.

(Oops I think Doris the Dressmakers Dummy might still be waiting patiently in the garden, I'd better bring her in)

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #478 on: May 04, 2018, 08:27:48 PM »
Wow Ruthie!! The smile on your face in your photos says it all. I think your garments are great and can see why you look so happy. Congratulations!! Enjoy your weekend away.
Annette
Queensland Australia

Offline Bookish

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #479 on: May 04, 2018, 09:16:40 PM »

Ruthie,

What a delicious collection!  Congratulations on a super SWAP  ;D

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #480 on: May 05, 2018, 03:02:05 PM »
Ruthie, it's nice to read how happy your SWAP makes you! :) I really like the pieces you chose for your final collection and can see why you love it. I think you did a brilliant job with your photos -- what a creative idea to pose with your dressmaker dummy and show more outfit combos! I also like the jewelry you showed with your collection, especially the necklace with cream, teal, and brown stones (or large beads?). All the accessories you used do a great job of tying the looks together into a cohesive collection. Well done!

I'm getting really excited to see more photos! I hope everyone who finished manages to get their photos done. Best of luck to you all! :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:24:43 PM by M lambie »

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #481 on: May 05, 2018, 03:09:09 PM »
I've got all the makes laid out for a photoshoot tomorrow.  Hope this sunshine stays! 

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #482 on: May 05, 2018, 03:31:59 PM »
The pics so far are GORGEOUS!  These rules have made for really beautiful collections- maybe this should be the only rule forever lol

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #483 on: May 05, 2018, 08:07:23 PM »
I believe I am finished.  I could have sewn another swap in the time it took to do the photos.  Lillie told me to stop my grumbling as it was a necessary component to actually complete a SWAP.  I know she is right and it was good for me to see it through to the end.  At any rate, I have a very wearable collection of garments that were, for the most part, constructed of upcycled, recycled or stash fabrics.  I did purchase two ponte knits, the cream and the terra cotta and the teal slinky.  All three were purchased at bargain prices.  The terra cotta ponte skinny pants and the terra cotta sweater knit were both over-dyed to achieve the correct color. 

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #484 on: May 05, 2018, 09:17:13 PM »
Lovely photos LillieT.
Also really like your clever fix for the ivory pants.

A few yards ago I made a navy top and found it had a fault in the jersey on the front. I cut graduated strips and added them as decoration to cover the flaw. I wore that top out! The tone on tone detail added a great little extra.

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #485 on: May 06, 2018, 03:11:54 AM »
Thanks Ruthie, the tone-on-tone trim certainly elevated them to a dressier pair of pants than they were to begin with, which I really needed.  All of the pants that fit me now are pretty utilitarian, meant to be worn for whatever but this cream pair dresses up quite nicely.  I have worn them with the teal tunic in my collection for a pretty good looking outfit, imo.  Also, as Lillie has reminded me, only planning to wear them for dress lessens the likelihood of my staining them.  The washer has been scrubbed clean, so that shouldn't be a hazard anymore.  However, coffee definitely is lol.

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #486 on: May 06, 2018, 11:09:20 AM »
So far I've seen Lillie's, Kate's, Ruthie's, and TreeFrog's pictures. What great SWAPS! all so different, and well suited to each wearer.  I will get my pictures taken and posted later today. There is one shirt I cannot find, gasp! I think it is still in the wash, or else in a bin waiting to be folded.
Wendy

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #487 on: May 06, 2018, 09:40:58 PM »
Monday is the last day for posting photos.
The ones in the gallery already are most exciting.
It's been a very sunny weekend here, so no excuse not to take photos.
Are we going to see some lovely last minute entries from people who have not spoken before  ?

Congratulations to all for the major achievement of getting a SWAP completed
 :heart_smilie:

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #488 on: May 06, 2018, 11:37:26 PM »
I'm all done uploading!  Lots of good stuff in that gallery, congrats to all who participated!
Wendy

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #489 on: May 07, 2018, 02:11:14 AM »
Is there anyone who hasn't uploaded their photos?

Do we need to extend the time?  Let me know ASAP.