Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)  (Read 40615 times)

Offline LynnH

• Subscribed Member
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2018, 01:16:06 AM »
I know that it is after when the sewing can start, but after spending a month flipping constantly on my plans.  I think I finally have a plan in hand.  So now I can start my prep.
Lynn

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2018, 04:25:32 AM »
Hoping to get a garment cut out this weekend. It's gonna have to be something I have out already. Digging through patterns and piles is a sure show stopper for me.
Wendy

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 05:58:39 AM »
I'm about to dig into the 'spare' room to start turning it into my sewing room, and then sorting through my boxes and piles of fabric.  I'm going to a destash event (as a seller) on 10 Feb.  Hoping that I'll find some more fabrics for my SWAP as I go through it.  My plan includes fabrics that I seem to recall are in stash, but I haven't seen recently!   :D :D :D :D :D
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2018, 06:45:43 AM »
Thanks for all the compliments about the red top- it really is a January cheerer-upper! 

Elephun- have you ever tried ironing interfacing onto the tissue pieces to make them more durable?  I've heard this is a good way to make much-loved patterns last longer [I don't do tracing, life's too short]

Lillie- I'm LOVING reading the saga of your trials with your dual personality!

Indiotiger- all that Alabama Chanin stitching is IMPRESSIVE
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2018, 06:54:58 AM »

Elephun- have you ever tried ironing interfacing onto the tissue pieces to make them more durable?  I've heard this is a good way to make much-loved patterns last longer [I don't do tracing, life's too short]

I have quite a few favourite patterns still going strong because I ironed them on to interfacing, I’ve found it to be really durable - I just use the cheap vilene (autocorrect changed that to vileness  ;D ) type stuff.  I wouldn’t want to use that in my clothes since I discovered all the nicer interfacings but it is really good for preserving patterns.  Those patterns are stored on skirt hangers.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2018, 08:06:23 AM »
Stephiecan hope you can decide what to sew next :-)

Indigotiger the mock up of your cardigan with sleeves looks great. I bet you will wear that a LOT!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:48:45 AM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2018, 09:40:03 AM »

Right now I am locked in the (typical for me) overthinking stage in which I question everything I ever thought, consider every pattern I own or have ever seen for substitution in my plan, and likewise become unconvinced that my fabrics go together at all.

Conclusion?

I just need to start and sew something, with the skirt/dress that I toiled in December being an obvious choice. Man, perfectionism is such a drag!

stephaniecan you’ve just described perfectly my SWAP planning to date  ;D. I’ve taken mudcat’s advice on board and will just make a start on an easy pattern this weekend.

Online Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2018, 11:09:04 AM »
Right now I am locked in the (typical for me) overthinking stage in which I question everything I ever thought, consider every pattern I own or have ever seen for substitution in my plan, and likewise become unconvinced that my fabrics go together at all.

Conclusion?

I just need to start and sew something, with the skirt/dress that I toiled in December being an obvious choice.

Yes indeed, that's why I came up with my 'minimum overwhelm' SWAP plan.  At the moment I'm making an elastic-waist skirt, which I think is the easiest-ever style everyone goes for. 
(Though I can't even restrain myself and keep things simple when making an e-w skirt - this is a 4-gore tulip style from 2 fabrics which I haven't really got enough of. . . so I'm at the careful-cutting-and-fabric-piecing stage.)
I also over-think each step of technique, so long ago realised I'm not someone who can finish a SWAP or 6PAC in the time limit !

And some of you may notice that in my plan I state clearly that I'm not going to include a skirt. . .

Just do a little each day is the goal.

SWAP is a lovely idea, but some of us need to adapt it to reality  ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:52:57 AM by Lisanne »
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2018, 01:49:34 PM »
lol it's so much fun reading the comments and threads even when I don't reply.  I'm back from an enrolment morning at work now, so after lunch and a rest] will be sewing  abit more today. Last night  I whizzed up a simple T shirt [and yes, made it more complicated] and now just need to finish hems and sleeve cuffs, which will be #2.  As it's all cut out in a box, I can then choose what to make for #3- another top, or some much-needed black trousers.  I think the linen trousers may win that one [if the non-SWAP frilly skirt doesn't sing a siren song to me of course]
stephaniecan- being  a perfectionist is, for me, a totally alien concept.  Good enough really IS good enough you know!
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2018, 03:48:55 PM »
Thanks, everyone! Demented Fairy...how I wish I could trade you for your more laid back personality type in regard to perfection. I have a brother who is so easy going, so relaxed about everything that I always wanted to be him. Alas, I have always been the wound-up, out-running-marathons type. I'd love to be more chill and able to just get on with things. I'm going to sew something this weekend.

I haven't yet caught up on all of the threads and all of the events, but I do wish everyone well and hope that in spite of illness people managed to have a great holiday. I got extra lucky as I was in Europe in unseasonably warm temps in Italy while temperatures plummeted to -40C at home, so while my family and friends were huddled around at home I was wandering around outside. I hope my luck holds out. I especially don't want to get the flu or stomach bugs as I had a really bad flu last winter. Take care, all, and feel better. Now I'm going to discipline myself and take out my toile...

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2018, 07:05:24 PM »
Elphun
I dont have your tremor problem but feel much the same about sewing muslins.  By the time I trace the pattern, I always trace these days, and make the many alterations I need, I want to sew for reals — not mess with test garments. Lately, i ve been following Peggy Sagers and making the garments she is sewing; or I am copying details (necklines, cuffs, pockets) from a new pattern onto my fitted basics.  I have also bought all the Variation packages to the Fit For Art patterns I own.  Still tracing, but not as much and not fitting—- no muslins.
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2018, 05:40:36 AM »
Yes! I do like learning through the entire process most of the time, but sometimes I just want to sew something I love and be done with it. I'll only expend so much physical and mental energy on a project before moving on. I'm really having trouble with finding tops that I like on my body at the moment. I may need to go shopping and try some different styles on.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2018, 01:33:54 PM »
/Snip/ I'm really having trouble with finding tops that I like on my body at the moment. I may need to go shopping and try some different styles on.

The black and white tessuti looks really cute and comfortable...are you now unhappy with it? 

Elephun, your enthusiasm for bootstrap (and lekala I think) PDFs is what got me interested in them - I never realized the reason for the PDF preference.  Apologies for asking; I did not mean to be insensitive.

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2018, 07:13:21 PM »
Oh goodness, CCL! You have been nothing but wonderful and helpful to me! I have shared about the tremor before, and try not to bring it up if it’s not bothering me, so I don’t bore anyone. I certainly don’t mind you asking me what I’m talking about  :)

I do really like the plaid Tessuti top, and I went ahead and finished up the pink and white one that I used for a muslin. That pink and white is cute, but it looks a bit like pajamas, which is okay since it was the muslin. None of my other fabrics want to be this Tessuti top, so I’ve set the pattern aside for now.

Beside being PDF, I also like personalized Bootstrap and Lekala because their fit is so much closer to begin with. One advantage of these patterns is I can pretty quickly get a muslin sewn if I want to see how a style might look on me. I can be more adventurous because there is less prework.

I’ve tired of sewing muslins to see how things will look for now, though. So I think shopping is in order. Maybe I’ll see some styles that I’m not noticing in sewing patterns that will be good for my figure. I might get ideas for patterns I've overlooked if I actually try things on.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2018, 08:48:21 AM »
Turquoise, what a delightful use of the pretty selvedge of the sweater knit fabric. The resulting cardigan is lovely and should be a very useful piece.

Demented Fairy, the collar on the knit top elevates it above the basic, so clever and also practical. Sorry to hear the trousers did not work out quite so well.

Wendy, hope you can get some sewing done on your plantain tee.

Morzel your blouse is lovely and fits beautifully. It works very well with jeans.

Stephaniecan, hope you can decide what to sew next :-)

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »
Turquoise - that shrug fabric is lovely - I really like those big dots and it being slightly seethrough.

Putting my thoughts here has helped me narrow down the colours and fabrics for the SWAP.  I can see now that one of the main reasons I don't get enough sewing done is I don't narrow down choices enough for what to work on next and so spend more time planning and trying to decide than sewing  :)

I think this is really what this wonderful SWAP sewing is about - keeping on track, sorting things out. Glad you narrowed down choices and you've got a wonderful palette there - quite surprising for me, acutally, I never thought of brown and grey together. Its great together! SWAPping really is an eye opener for things outside my usual box.

Dementedfairy - what a clever idea to use the mesh in combination with the fashion fabric on the collar. I really lack that kind of creativity of seeing combinations, but at least I can store away good examples in my head for later use...  ;) I can relate to the frustration concerning the trousers - especially with trousers I had such experiences also. You are smart to move on right away, not look back and keep sewing on something that promises more satisfaction!

I have been busy at my sewing machine and finished two tops - a tshirt and a sweater, very simple styles. But, I am moving along!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:42:06 AM by Morzel »
Eva

Offline fourkid

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2018, 11:06:03 AM »
     Leaving this morning for a mini-vacation with the grands in Ft. Myers. Dropping them back home and then heading to Sarasota this weekend for the 1st Hot patterns Sewing Retreat. (I live in state) I have planned to make at least 2 of my SWAP tops while there. I am doing just the Plain and Simple T Redux since I have it fairly well fitted already. I will make some tweaks - but the focus will be matching stripes on both, and making long sleeves on one. I have a black and cream nautical type stripe knit, and a missoni-type print knit that features black and cream but also elements of orange and tan. If I can get a 3rd muslined from a different HP top that will be gravy - but I definitely plan to have 2 completed.

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2018, 12:54:37 PM »
I've been totally distracted today by the arrival of some gorgeous silks that have been sent to me courtesy of someone else's de-stash.   Two gorgeous chinese silk brocades, and an amazing 4 yards of a heavy grey silk moiré faille.  No CLUE what to make with that, but it needs to be used, not stashed.  All have been in a wardrobe after rescue from a charity shop, so are pretty old [and dusty- my hands are itching from handling them, so I need to do some careful handwashing- not trusting these babies to the machine!]  Probably more likely to be used for something historical/steampunk because of that, but they will not linger in stash for long!

The parcels also included this delicate beaded applique which needs to get some exposure too.  I'm on it!

Offline Susan

• Sewstyled
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2018, 10:31:07 PM »
Indigotiger, I think the reverse appliqué  AC technique will be stunning.

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2018, 12:45:46 AM »
Morsel - I love the appliqué on your tee shirt!!

Dementedfairy - great recycling project!!!
Annette
Queensland Australia

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2018, 01:57:43 AM »
Wow...lots of exciting things happening:

Morzel: Love all of your garments. Great fit and effective detail. Really nice choices.

Demented Fairy: LOVE the tops...especially the red velvet. That would be very cheery to wear. I am a big fan of thin merino underlayers for warmth....but it's so cold here that if I don't layer I'm very quickly a popsicle. :)

I am very proud of myself because I "unstuck" myself, made a second toile of a skirt I was working on before Christmas, giving myself more, err "rear end room" and finally cut the fashion fabric. I'm slow, but I do get there eventually. I also started knitting a matching sweater. I am more of a knitter than a seamstress by history, but I am planning to sew all but one piece of the collection as I don't need to learn more about knitting. I may knit a second sweater but outside of the collection, or maybe I won't include any knitting in the eleven garments. I love to sew and need to do much more of it (fabric stash is definitely whispering at me...).

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2018, 04:56:11 PM »
Lillie Well done for completing the Rayon duster complete with welt pockets - surely your client owes you another dinner now?  :)

Morzel I love the sleeve detail on your hoodie. 

stephaniecan  Well done for getting unstuck  :) As a fellow procrastinator it feels good to be actually sewing something rather than just trying to decide doesn't it!

The fabrics I was waiting on arrived today and are now being prewashed ready to sew.  I'm hoping to get some pattern tracing and maybe cutting out done tonight.

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2018, 06:57:22 PM »
I agree with Stephanie -- lots of exciting sewing happening here! :D Great work everyone who's getting multiple garments sewn up so quickly! I have a lot to catch up on!

Stephanie, I bet it feels great to be "un-stuck"! :) Good job getting that 2nd toile done. Also, I didn't know you were a machine knitter (as well as a hand knitter)! I'm interested to see what you end up making.

DementedFairy, everything looks great but I LOVE the latest skirt!! Just gorgeous. I like the creative piecing in the two tops as well. Also, happy to see your tree - it is very cheery! (Ours is still up, too.)

LillieT, I am really enjoying your upcycling projects. I especially like the pieced skirt and the sweater vest. That is some bold embellishing happening there! ;D

Morzel, wow, you're getting a lot done, too. The new grey sweater looks great (and very cozy)! The velour is pretty, too, and I hope you will be able to fix it to your liking. I also really like the embellishing on the t-shirt.

Susan, I like the sleeve option you posted. Definitely less extreme than the original pattern. ;D Your red sweater + cowl looks really good, too bad it isn't as warm as it looks.

Turquoise, your storyboard looks great!! I like your shades of brown. I am noticing that several people are using different shades of one neutral. I like this. :) Your cardi and wrap are fabulous! Both really use the fabric well. Is the wrap one of your SWAP garments, or is it your accessory? Either way, it is very cool.

Ruthie, I posted elsewhere that I am enjoying following your wardrobe analysis. I'm interested to see what you sew next for SWAP! I like the list you posted on your blog, that should help keep you on track for sure.

Indigotiger, I like the newer photo of your black pinnie! You can definitely see it better. Also I think it looks really cool with your SCA undergown, even if that isn't how you would normally wear it. :) It's a great idea to adapt that garment into maybe a blouse to wear with your pinafores. And I am really loving your Alabama Chanin work. I can't wait to see how the reverse colorway looks once you start stitching it up.

BessC, I enjoyed seeing your storyboard and fabric photos and reading your timeline. I hope your recovery goes smoothly and that you are able to enjoy some sewing! Your colors are beautiful.

Elephun, your gingham top is very cute! The Tessuti trousers are great too, I like the knot detail at the hem.

I still don't have the energy to begin sewing, boo.  :'( But I am feeling much better. So I had another look at my fabrics and my plan... I have a few new thoughts. (1) I don't want to spend extra money on fabric if I can avoid it. (Although I will if the alternative is sewing something I don't want/need.) (2) Given that, I don't want to sew my navy cotton jersey for SWAP. Instead I want to save it to make an AC top/tunic to wear to my niece's wedding this summer. (3) This also means I have to choose whether to use my navy linen for a skirt or a dress. I could use the skirt, but the fabric looks so nice with my skintone and it drapes so well, I think it needs to be a dress.

Therefore I'm re-shuffling my plan a little. I took "outfit" photos of the fabrics draped on my body so I could look at them more objectively. This helped! And since I'm still feeling a little indecisive, I'll be making a list of "definite" garments and sewing those first. :) I will start sewing by the beginning of February. I know that's pushing it, but I plan to take it easy as long as I'm still under the weather.

Offline treefrog

• SWAP Addict :-)
    • sew Treefrog
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2018, 12:50:06 AM »
Great to see everyone's progress.  I've been derailed a bit at the moment sewing shirts and pants for DH.  Hope to get back into the SWAP soon.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2018, 04:40:27 AM »
Turquoise Yes! It feels great to be unstuck. So glad I am in good company!

Mary Unfortunately I am not a machine knitter. My grandmother was and I thought it was pretty cool. I hand knit because I find it very relaxing, but I want to do more sewing this year. Thanks for your encouragement.

I'm going to come back on the weekend and read through everyone's boards as I am keen to catch up on everyone's progress. This week has been busy and so I've only had a chance to graze. I love seeing what everyone is making.

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2018, 10:12:32 AM »
treefrog - the moment I saw your new pants I went:'oh, COOL!' (and yes, this is exactly what I said, as this is german... ;D). They are GREAT! When I grow up, I want pants like these. The fit is superb!! And I understand, that they are 'louder' than you anticipated, but they are VERY fashionable and maybe it just need a bit getting used to. After all, it is the same as putting on a patterened blouse/jacket, just the other way round. Where, really, is the difference? Whatever you pair your patterened tops with (plain, unpatterend bottoms?) you just need as tops then (plain tops). DO wear those wonderful trousers!

Mary - what a fun idea to drape your fabrics around you to get an idea. And it works really well, especially for your type of garments. It gives a really good impression of the upcoming clothes! I found my favourite combination already, and the thumbnail looks almost as if you had finished it all already...  ;)

dementedfairy - bravo, you really sew up quite a bit. I enjoy each of your pieces, so coherent stylewise.

Lillie - I am glad you were able to finish the duster. I kept wanting to ask about the sweater vest with crochet detail: did you sew the crochet part onto the sweaterfabric? Is it double layer then? I reall like that idea for the garment, it looks great.
Eva

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »
I still haven't had time to read all of the posts but wanted to say treefrog: Cool trousers. I made a pair that these remind me of, a couple of years ago. Mine are an a bold floral with pinks but also dark colours; the effect is similar. I love wearing them in summertime with a brighter tee that picks up one of the colours in the print, or with a more conservative striped shirt. I don't wear them all the time, but they are a fun addition for days on which I am feeling bold and playful.

Morzel That wool knit sounds great. I do find that garments made in those types of classic fabrics do get worn a lot (and wear well). I have wanted to make a velvet jacket for a while, but what makes me resist is the issues you describe - flaws show easily, has to be treated nicely in the sewing process....

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2018, 07:27:58 PM »
Morzel- After crocheting the left front I laid it on a piece of slightly felted terra cotta wool jersey and cut the corresponding right side. I then lapped the left front (crochet) over the right front and attached it with a backstitch through the last row of crochet.  The back is just a rectangle the same size as the front. What shaping  there is was done with the crochet edging. Not very scientific I'm afraid, worked though lol.

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2018, 07:38:05 PM »
Hurrah to everyone for all the fabulous posts [and I am looking at all of them, but I find that I'm rubbish at remembering all my various thoughts so that I can comment back here individually!]

I love how so many of the plans flex and develop, it's so VITAL

Gorgeous stuff.

PS, blog reaction so far say I should definitely go for the rose applique on my black skirt...great, that gives me an excuse to make another one lol

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2018, 12:18:19 PM »

I love how so many of the plans flex and develop, it's so VITAL

Gorgeous stuff.

Yes to that!  I have also not been able to keep up with everyone's makes, but boy you all have been productive.
Once again there have been a variety of life happenings (including stomach flu the last few days for me, yuck) that have kept me from sewing one single thing.

I may be able to manage something this weekend, we'll see. I think I may shoot for threading the machine with brown, and sewing all those items first, but who knows.
Wendy

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2018, 08:52:19 PM »
I am so enjoying reading all of this & doing my best to keep up with threads, which meany my reading is spotty at best.  ;D Ditto what everyone is saying- some fun garments, some great reporting on them, some real progress. Pat yourselves on the back.

Random thoughts:

Lillie- love the banter between Lillie & her client. I love sashaying around in a duster. It just seems so decadent. I have a long collaged vest, very swirly, a la Stevie Nix, that is really a sleeveless duster. What can I say? My friends make me twirl when I wear it. Sashay away!

Treefrog-I'm a firm believer that everyone should have at least one pair of bold patterned pants, just because. Some days just cry out for them. Those turned out great. Wear them & snicker.

DementedFairy-Nobody ever sends me fabrics like that.  :o The gray moire-swoon.

LynnH-Still oodles of time to get done, depending on the complexity of your choices. Kept "simple enough", you could start Feb 1, make one per week and be done with days to spare.

Morzel-Your comment posts are just so enthusiastic and energizing. And all those marvelous tops you've been making. Wowie!

CCL-Do you have a background in dance, specifically ballet? Your posture and poses in your photos screams "Dancer" to me. I love the way you carry yourself in your beautiful garments.

Still no time to sew here. DH has been hospitalized since Dec 31 -complications from the flu, including kidney failure, which is why he is still there. I was sick myself for a couple of weeks and have needed to do more than normal with less energy than usual. Sigh. I have a C'mas pillowcase waiting to be stitched and I can't even find the energy for that. But as I told Lynn, still plenty of time, and my stuff is definitely "simple enough".

Nap time now.

Rene

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2018, 11:30:14 AM »
Melinda - it is really interesting, how the finished garments get me interested in patterns I would not have noticed in tech-drawing. My eye got caught by your ITS top. Those pleats look really good (meaning, the top looks good) and I think it really is an interesting feature for a top. So, again, storing away ideas... How does it work, that I can click on your chart and it opens up to a bigger version? Is it a flickr thingy? I would love pictures in my posts to be shown as a sort of thumbnail, enlarging only when people are interested.

dementedfairy - the velvet top-skirt combination... smashing!

CCL - I looked at the teal jacket foto at flickr - good workmanship there. It looks so professional. As does the rest of your comfy capsule. Those pants are sleep pants? Really?! They sure look like going-out-pants to me... the other day I saw a replay of one of Peggy Sagers (Silhouette patterns) videos about pyjamas. She told this story about going out in her pyjamas to just drop something at a drive through and just shortly pick up something else in a hop-in-hop-out fashion, when she ran into acquaintances and ended up grabbing something to eat with them - in pyjamas, still. So she decided to make a webcast about decent and good looking pyjamas you could go out of the house in. Those pants of yours would definitely qualify!

Medea - glad to see you back.

Garden Girl - Sad to see that your naps have to be taken without your husband for now. Glad to see you've got cats to keep you company while napping away the sickness. Any possibility of smuggling a cat or two into hospital for your husband to speed up his healing  progress?!  ;D
Eva

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2018, 12:42:43 PM »
Melinda - it is really interesting, how the finished garments get me interested in patterns I would not have noticed in tech-drawing. My eye got caught by your ITS top. Those pleats look really good (meaning, the top looks good) and I think it really is an interesting feature for a top. So, again, storing away ideas... How does it work, that I can click on your chart and it opens up to a bigger version? Is it a flickr thingy? I would love pictures in my posts to be shown as a sort of thumbnail, enlarging only when people are interested. 

You can enlarge the whole page, but not graphics.  I'll post a photo of just that top that you can click on to see clearly.  The pattern is here https://itch-to-stitch.com/product/kathryn-top-dress-digital-sewing-pattern-pdf/  I'm about to move the neckline in a little, as I find it slightly wider than I would like, and it shows my bra straps.  I have plans to make the dress version next, which may become one of my SWAP garments.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »
Melinda: Now, again, as in your graph in the post before, same with the photo - when I click on it, it enlarges.  I want that too!  ;) What is the original code you enter in the post? Do you enter a URL or a IMG?  ???
Eva

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2018, 04:54:14 PM »
Morzel if I understand you correctly you want to put your image in the post at a smaller size but allow it to display larger when clicked.  I read somewhere on here that I could put a larger photo in the gallery and then limit the width it displays in the post by putting a width setting in the html code but also found it confusing to work out how.

So what I do is as follows (others may have a better method/explanation).

When you click the insert image button and it gives you the html code you put the width you want the photo to display at in your post in that first img html tag for example;

Code: [Select]
[img width=“500”]your image url here [/img]
I hope that helps  :) please say if it’s unclear.